Penny Finally Looking Like a 1st Round Pick

xray

Reaction score
John63":3lcz7wwq said:
I agree he played well today. That said I need more than 1 good game against the worse run defense in the league to say more. We will see.
^
One good game in years ? Any 1st round pick RB, should be able to do that . He's still a dainty teacup ready to break at any moment . IMO :D

Seymour

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":ljb7etku said:
As the lone Penny supporter on this forum I feel fantastic.

Great game but you should be more embarrassed than feeling great.

That only took 4 years to occur. He just hit 1000 yards after nearly 4 years. That is a bust for a first round RB...period.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
And then we'll get Procise back any day now too. Superb Owl. Lol, no I'm happy for Penny, a relief to see him have such a good game and get to house a couple runs, such a long haul for him.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Now we're going to ride Penny to the Superb Owl. Just like Tampa Bay rode Leonard Fournette last year. It could happen! Just went from a possibility to a "probability" today! :2thumbs:

Seriously, Penny finally looks like an NFL back *between the tackles*. He struggled mightily his first couple years in the league in that dept. Then the ACL just as he was figuring it out... and as other said, seemed like it took 2 years to get past that... Sure hope he can stay healthy for a while, like the rest of the season.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SNDavidson":2fw470aa said:
And then we'll get Procise back any day now too. Superb Owl. Lol, no I'm happy for Penny, a relief to see him have such a good game and get to house a couple runs, such a long haul for him.
You realize Penny has now exceeded Prosise, right? IIRC, we got 2 great games from Prosise in his career, the primetime game vs NE where he was the featured back, and the Eagles game the next week where he ripped off a 70 yard TD run.

Now Penny has had at least 2 big-time games. Hoping for many more, he just needs to stay healthy.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great to see Penny have a great game. I have a good feeling this will continue and he's going start stringing together good games.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
xray":2r9uosfb said:
John63":2r9uosfb said:
I agree he played well today. That said I need more than 1 good game against the worse run defense in the league to say more. We will see.
^
One good game in years ? Any 1st round pick RB, should be able to do that . He's still a dainty teacup ready to break at any moment . IMO :D

He's had a handful of good games over the years.

Being injured and inconsistent use havent helped

His talent was on full display today and is why he was drafted where he was

Elemas

Reaction score
Seymour":19k12huy said:
ImTheScientist":19k12huy said:
As the lone Penny supporter on this forum I feel fantastic.

Great game but you should be more embarrassed than feeling great.

That only took 4 years to occur. He just hit 1000 yards after nearly 4 years. That is a bust for a first round RB...period.

100% this. Doesn’t matter if dude ran for 250 today. Happy to see him doing well but, cmon son.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3brxx3s3 said:
xray":3brxx3s3 said:
John63":3brxx3s3 said:
^

The thing that hurts the most, in retrospect, is that a huge draw of his was his super clean medicals coming out of college. He appeared to be durable as hell at the time.

To know that he's this talented and that every indication showed him to be a durable player above all stings, as it appears to be another first round bust but obviously could have amounted to so, so much more by now. We saw it today, and we saw it in 2019 in his limited action as well.

He could have been one of the faces of the league with his knack for the big play.

OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
Appyhawk":39jghqm8 said:
We haven't had a lot to cheer about this year. Penny's good day today is like a single light on a big christmas tree. It shines bright when everything else is dark. He has shone a few flashes along the way, but he's got a lot to prove. That is very difficult to do from the sidelines. We have 2 RBs that can't seem to stay healthy. Collins has been very good, and tough, but doing something to bolster our RB roster is something we have to do.

I gotta tell ya, I had my one of my fantasy backs on a bye week and picked up Penny yesterday as a flex play, just in case.

I started him, and I'm not even a little disappointed.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1z67jlxe said:
Hawkpower":1z67jlxe said:
xray":1z67jlxe said:
John63":1z67jlxe said:
^

The thing that hurts the most, in retrospect, is that a huge draw of his was his super clean medicals coming out of college. He appeared to be durable as hell at the time.

To know that he's this talented and that every indication showed him to be a durable player above all stings, as it appears to be another first round bust but obviously could have amounted to so, so much more by now. We saw it today, and we saw it in 2019 in his limited action as well.

He could have been one of the faces of the league with his knack for the big play.

Just wait, he'll get picked up off the street by New England sign a league minimum deal and
promptly give Belicheck 1800 all purpose yards . Hahaha making Pete look like a bubble
gum chewing Barney Fife on Adderall.

chris98251

Reaction score
morgulon1":snc1m1e8 said:
Maelstrom787":snc1m1e8 said:
Hawkpower":snc1m1e8 said:
xray":snc1m1e8 said:
^

Just wait, he'll get picked up off the street by New England sign a league minimum deal and
promptly give Belicheck 1800 all purpose yards . Hahaha making Pete look like a bubble
gum chewing Barney Fife on Adderall.

Possibly, but Carson and Penny both have added 5 years to wear and tear on their bodies with the number of injuries to their knees and legs, hip also with Carson and now a neck injury as well.

Cutting possible salary expenditures on two players that are older than their physical age in body parts may be the way to go since their history has shown they can't hold up for one reason or another no fault of their own.

Just means we need to look at guys a couple maybe to fill those spots, we can get a good to great back if we do our homework,

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's never been about if we thought he had talent. We knew he did. He just couldn't stay healthy to prove it game after game. I am glad he had a great game today and is still healthy!

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":13zjf32q said:
It's never been about if we thought he had talent. We knew he did. He just couldn't stay healthy to prove it game after game. I am glad he had a great game today and is still healthy!

This is a rough game. I like the fact that carroll is using all his backs putting them in position to be successful at their strengths as well spreading the carries out keeping them healthy this is the mark of good solid coaching..

LTH

RiverDog

Reaction score
Obviously, Penny had a great game. He ran well between the tackles, was difficult to bring down once he broke into the 2nd level, showed good acceleration. The two TD's he scored were the first in over two years. That's the good news.

The not so good news is that it shouldn't have come as a huge surprise that one of our backs would have a headliner game against the Texans as they have the league's worst defense against the run.

And the bad news is that because we decided not to pick up his 5th year option, Penny is a free agent after this season, and if he continues to play well in our last 4 games, he's going to raise his market value, meaning that we're going to have an expensive decision to make, if we're going to want to have two injury prone running backs eating up salary on our roster.

Just one of the many dramas to play out from now through the offseason.

seabowl

Reaction score
Second half if contract year and just in time to be a free agent.

Sounds about right

sutz

Reaction score
Where would we be without you guys pointing out the dark cloud behind every silver lining?

:laugh: :rofl: :twisted: :mrgreen:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's no secret the guy has been a massive injury prone/bad draft pick. But if you can't feel good for the guy to see him playing good football, that kind of says a lot about someone. He didn't have a history of injuries in college at all. The guy clearly CAN play if he's healthy and getting the touches. And we're all aware that he can't be relied on to stay healthy.
But damn, we certainly got a glimpse of what he's capable of. And since when do Penny start running over guys like Carson? That was a trip to see. Nice job Kid.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I think we'll be able to bring Penny back on a prove it deal. If we can't, it's for the best, why? Loyalty. Pete has never, ever, had anything but positive, encouraging things to say about Rashaad. Fact is they spent a 1st on him and he hasn't played. If he leaves for a million more I suppose I can't blame him, I'd take a million, but I'd like to see that loyalty that Pete and John demonstrated paid back, that would be nice.