Penny

seabowl

Reaction score
I know it's still early but to me Penny doesn't look like a first round rb. He's ok but even after a full offseason still looks slow and indecisive. Carson (beast) and even Homer look like they hit the hole way faster then him. Hope I'm wrong but without a really good line Penny is just IMO, well, pocket change.

Thoughts?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Although one has to qualify his performance as not getting real good blocking, Penny didn't look good at all last night. He doesn't hit the LOS with authority in the same way Chris Carson does. There's been a lot of talk about him sharing more of the load, but at this point, if Carson stays healthy, Penny is a 3rd down/change of pace back. He doesn't look like the type that can carry the load in a run first offense.

getnasty

Reaction score
They are two different backs. Your always gonna get postive yardage with Carson and if it's short yardage/goalline he's the guy. Penny is the guy that might lose a yard here and there but turns around and pops one for 40 the next play.

RiverDog

Reaction score
getnasty":21culjgu said:
They are two different backs. Your always gonna get postive yardage with Carson and if it's short yardage/goalline he's the guy. Penny is the guy that might lose a yard here and there but turns around and pops one for 40 the next play.

I agree, but we're a run first, run often offense that's geared to the 4-8 yard gainers, running backs like Beast that rarely outrun defenders but are good for a lot of yards after contact and do most of their work between the tackles. Carson is a perfect fit in this role, Penny is not.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I'm generally opposed to spending a first round pick on an RB, but Penny last year and last night makes that selection particularly painful.

The upside is that Carson looks great (yet ANOTHER example of why you shouldn't be spending high picks on RBs), so the issue is really only about the opportunity cost of having wasted a first round pick, and not a problem with having a talent hole at the position group.

I guess you could make the argument that if they hadn't drafted Penny they might have brought Davis back, but he got way overpaid anyway.

xray

Reaction score
Last season I stated that IMO ; Penny was not a 1st round pick . I stand by that even more . He has had more than enough time and experience to improve but clearly he has not . 6 carries for -2 yards is pathetic . Homer and Turner both looked better . Penny is too tentative and can't run in any traffic . It would not surprise me to see the 1-2 punch at RB end up being Carson / Homer or Carson / Turner . Many here will say it's too early to judge Penny ; and that he has potential to maybe improve someday . That argument was used last season too .

sutz

Reaction score
Frankly, it's about two years too late to worry about his "first round pick" status. He's here. He won't be cut this year for sure.

The pick is sunk cost. Continuing to whine about it will do no good.

Now get off my lawn!

:les:

xray

Reaction score
sutz":237ld5hx said:
Frankly, it's about two years too late to worry about his "first round pick" status. He's here. He won't be cut this year for sure.

The pick is sunk cost. Continuing to whine about it will do no good.

Now get off my lawn!

:les:

Opinions in this thread are not whining . Go iron your #20 jersey ! :stirthepot:

xStickybudz

Reaction score
I’m extremely against taking RBs with a first unless they are a can’t miss talent and even then im skeptical, having said that what done is done there is no point moaning over it. I will say tho Penny isn’t instilling confidence in me even tho he isn’t getting the blocking he deserves

RiverDog

Reaction score
xStickybudz":1t5yl2s5 said:
I’m extremely against taking RBs with a first unless they are a can’t miss talent and even then im skeptical, having said that what done is done there is no point moaning over it. I will say tho Penny isn’t instilling confidence in me even tho he isn’t getting the blocking he deserves

Agreed 100%. Unless you're looking at a Saquan Barkley, it's very unlikely that a team will get their money's worth out of a first round RB. They're 2 down players. It is mitigated somewhat in our case as more so than any other team in the league, we're a run first offense, but it's still a poor utilization of a valuable resource.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
You know, the eye test is a thing, it’s important, I think he’s going to do well this year and have some really pretty runs. I don’t do it that often, for me Penny gets a fully excused “pass” for last night, our second string line got pwnd, that’s more concerning to me. On the bright side, our 1’s looked very good, when Penny gets mixed in with them and we’re game planning, look out. He’s gonna take a screen to the house this year too.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Come on budz, moaning and complaining about stuff over and over and over again is how we roll on dot net. :lol:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I love how people pan a Seahawks first round pick and then gloat when he doesn't work out. What are you proud of? Seahawks first round picks sucking for 2-3 years is the norm. You aren't a special draft analyst.

The Hawks FO appears to like to roll the dice on mid to late 1st round picks going with high ceiling, low floor kind of guys hoping they can coach them up to stardom. I think they need to revisit that strategy given how poorly its been working.

It's not the worlds biggest coup to call it out before it happens given the track record so far.

But can't miss prospects are few and far between in the NFL and usually get grabbed in the first 10 picks. After that its a crap shoot.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, some people flat out want someone to fail so they can tell you that they told you so. What a waste of energy, all while hurting the team.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
People are upset that our 1st round pick isn't lighting things up when we haven't had an effective 1st round pick since after 2012?

Penny was not picked to be a great 1st round pick or even a starter.

He was picked to be insurance if Carson got hurt so that we did not end up repeating what we did with Rawls back when he was hurt.

He did what he was supposed to do. Be insurance for Carson and spell him occasionally.

That 1st round pick is the closest thing we have had to success in the 1st round for over 5 years. Weird thing to complain about.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As much as I like Penny's potential and how he's come into camp light and ready to compete............I just don't think Pete's going to be able to keep Carson off the field.

Carson just looks that good.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3ao3ln71 said:
Well, some people flat out want someone to fail so they can tell you that they told you so. What a waste of energy, all while hurting the team.

Nothing good happens from Penny being a bad RB. Not sure why folks want to be happy about that.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
In most phases, the Seahawks team that we saw last night in Minnesota will not be the Division Champion. There was zero consistency in the running game. We can blame it on the blocking, the runner or a combination of both. This next game will go a long way in determining what we really have for a running game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Because the team didn't pick the guy that THEY wanted and/or they actually believe they know more than Pete and John about football. Nope

jlwaters1

Reaction score
He had NO help at all last night. The blocking was terrible. Carson wouldn't have done much better with the blocking (or lack thereof)

Latest posts