Penny

chris98251

Reaction score
Penny has a few years left before that becomes an issue, Carson as a 7th rounder has already over played his contract 10 fold, he is going to get another contract, Penny is already getting paid.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
sutz":2xyzmj2r said:
Contrary to what some around here say, Penny can break tackles, too. They both run pretty hard.

Penny has clearly evolved a blind man could see it. The Penny naysayers are out on a limb now and Penny is sawing it off behind them.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
chris98251":3kcz0hu0 said:
Penny has a few years left before that becomes an issue, Carson as a 7th rounder has already over played his contract 10 fold, he is going to get another contract, Penny is already getting paid.
Neither of them will command highest paid RB money, so Hopefully the team can sell them on taking "good" money to stay together, share the load and extend both of their careers a few years by spreading out the wear and tear between the two.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
I told you Penny could play. He had another outstanding game for you. From running the ball well to catching it well to scoring TD's. He also looked fast and explosive. He even broke tackles and pounded for extra yards. Something many on here seem to complain about. He just needs to keep his weight in check. That was never an issue at San Diego State Aztecs. So I'm surprised to see it. But I'm glad he is addressing it with a nutritionist and staying away from McDonald's. The real Rashaad Penny is fast, explosive, quick, can run hard, can break tackles and is kind of a TD machine. You are starting to see him now. You were seeing the overweight Penny before and that is not really him. But I'm glad to see that he got that in check and is doing well for you.

I'm very glad to see Rashaad Penny show the real promise of what he is. I always knew the real talent he has. It was just a matter of getting more comfortable in your system, keeping the weight in check and waiting for his opportunities. BTW he even is pass blocking better now. I watched him a lot on that and he is doing pretty well. He has made big improvement in that category. Obviously there is nothing to complain about lately with him. Also the upside is the sky. You haven't even seen the best Rashaad Penny yet. But I think that is coming and he is getting closer.

I don't want to say I told you so. But I told you so. I took a lot of flack on this forum for backing the guy. But I stood firm and told you what I really know about the guy. I knew who he was. He is an outstanding athlete. He is very quick, fast and explosive and yes he can break tackles. Well now you are starting to see it.

:D .............. :2thumbs:

olyfan63

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":am4y8f4t said:
What should happen tonight if always compete is a real thing: Minimally Penny/Carson split carries.

What will happen: Pete will do a 20/5 carry split between Carson/Penny proving that always compete only applies to some and he plays favorites.

Yeah, a little murky on the crystal ball there.

OlyFan63":am4y8f4t said:
So, against the Vikings Monday, I think we can expect to see Carson still be the featured back, but for Penny to get in a couple series in each half. And Carson will be on a short leash. (regarding fumbles)

Well, my guess was a little closer than yours this week, on the rushing.
Carson 23 carries for 102 yards.
Penny 15 carries for 74 yards.

Not a 50-50 split, Carson still the featured back, but Penny getting a fair opportunity and showing his stuff.
But then, look at the passing game receiving stats.
Carson, 2 targets, 1 catch, 7 yards.
Penny, 5 targets, 4 catches, 33 yards.

Add it up and...
Carson, 25 opportunities, 109 yards.
Penny, 20 opportunities, 107 yards.

So your assumptions about Pete were clearly wrong. You've put Pete in a box of your rigid assumptions about him, rather than understanding Pete as a football coach. Time to update that model. Are you as capable of updating your assumptions and model as Pete Carroll has once again proven HE is? I mean, that would be the scientific thing to do, when the experimental outcomes deviate vastly from your hypothesis and underlying model.

Quite simply, Penny COMPETED himself into more carries and more targets. Always Compete is a VERY REAL thing in Carroll's world. Is Pete perfect on this? No, he screws it up every now and then. Pete's a mere mortal. But he keeps trying.

Pete has been wanting to get Travis Homer an opportunity to get some carries too. I know he has. Darned if he (via Brian Schneider) didn't figure out how to do that tonight. Homer, 1 carry, 29 yards!

So does the credit for Penny's emergence lie with Pete or Brian Schottenheimer? Well, clearly, BOTH. In my model though, it starts with Pete. Pete and Schotty talked it over, and Pete told Schotty it was time to start giving Penny a bigger role, more opportunities. Schotty thought it over, and came up with some *brilliant* ways to use Penny, that play to Penny's strengths, without giving the play away. Penny got some wide runs, with good blocking schemes, that he did great on. Penny also got his number called for some inside runs, and did good, not Carson-esque results every time, but NFL-quality runs on most. GROWTH! YES!! I loved that Penny rushing TD, where Russell did a mini-option pitch to him, and Penny found the gap for an easy TD. Brilliant by Schotty, gave Penny an opportunity in space, and played to his strengths. Love it!!

Going forward, barring injury to one or both, I expect to see a similar ratio of use, Carson the featured back, and Penny getting about 1/2 to 3/4 of Carson's carries, but Penny getting a few more targets in the passing game each week, and overall getting 70-80% of the opportunities that Carson gets. Sounds like a winning formula to me.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2h3k2dnk said:
You were seeing the overweight Penny before and that is not really him.

So, what was it? Doppleganger? Body snatcher? Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine? What kind of "not him" are we talking about?

Coming from someone who has always been pretty neutral of him...sorry, the criticism of Penny was justified. He didn't take his job seriously and he's admitted it as much. It's him you're arguing with, not us. People had every right to get ticked when Penny took up a first-round pick, immediately gained 25-30 pounds, and got outplayed by a 7th-round nobody coming off a season-ending fractured leg.

Now he's taken responsibility and turned things around. The responsible critics will acknowledge it and get excited appropriately, without ever having been wrong at any point.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1jfunjpd said:
SanDiego49er":1jfunjpd said:

So, what was it? Doppleganger? Body snatcher? Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine? What kind of "not him" are we talking about?

Coming from someone who has always been pretty neutral of him...sorry, the criticism of Penny was justified. He didn't take his job seriously and he's admitted it as much. It's him you're arguing with, not us. People had every right to get ticked when Penny took up a first-round pick, immediately gained 25-30 pounds, and got outplayed by a 7th-round nobody coming off a season-ending fractured leg.

Now he's taken responsibility and turned things around. The responsible critics will acknowledge it and get excited appropriately, without ever having been wrong at any point.

That was never an issue for him at San Diego State Aztecs. I don't believe he gained 25 lbs. BTW. But he did gain some and he was slower and more sluggish. Now you are seeing the real Rashaad Penny. A very fast, quick, explosive RB who can indeed break tackles and is somewhat of a TD machine once he gets going.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
olyfan63":3gip5w35 said:
ImTheScientist":3gip5w35 said:
What should happen tonight if always compete is a real thing: Minimally Penny/Carson split carries.

What will happen: Pete will do a 20/5 carry split between Carson/Penny proving that always compete only applies to some and he plays favorites.

Yeah, a little murky on the crystal ball there.

OlyFan63":3gip5w35 said:
So, against the Vikings Monday, I think we can expect to see Carson still be the featured back, but for Penny to get in a couple series in each half. And Carson will be on a short leash. (regarding fumbles)

Well, my guess was a little closer than yours this week, on the rushing.
Carson 23 carries for 102 yards.
Penny 15 carries for 74 yards.

Not a 50-50 split, Carson still the featured back, but Penny getting a fair opportunity and showing his stuff.
But then, look at the passing game receiving stats.
Carson, 2 targets, 1 catch, 7 yards.
Penny, 5 targets, 4 catches, 33 yards.

Add it up and...
Carson, 25 opportunities, 109 yards.
Penny, 20 opportunities, 107 yards.

So your assumptions about Pete were clearly wrong. You've put Pete in a box of your rigid assumptions about him, rather than understanding Pete as a football coach. Time to update that model. Are you as capable of updating your assumptions and model as Pete Carroll has once again proven HE is? I mean, that would be the scientific thing to do, when the experimental outcomes deviate vastly from your hypothesis and underlying model.

Quite simply, Penny COMPETED himself into more carries and more targets. Always Compete is a VERY REAL thing in Carroll's world. Is Pete perfect on this? No, he screws it up every now and then. Pete's a mere mortal. But he keeps trying.

Pete has been wanting to get Travis Homer an opportunity to get some carries too. I know he has. Darned if he (via Brian Schneider) didn't figure out how to do that tonight. Homer, 1 carry, 29 yards!

So does the credit for Penny's emergence lie with Pete or Brian Schottenheimer? Well, clearly, BOTH. In my model though, it starts with Pete. Pete and Schotty talked it over, and Pete told Schotty it was time to start giving Penny a bigger role, more opportunities. Schotty thought it over, and came up with some *brilliant* ways to use Penny, that play to Penny's strengths, without giving the play away. Penny got some wide runs, with good blocking schemes, that he did great on. Penny also got his number called for some inside runs, and did good, not Carson-esque results every time, but NFL-quality runs on most. GROWTH! YES!! I loved that Penny rushing TD, where Russell did a mini-option pitch to him, and Penny found the gap for an easy TD. Brilliant by Schotty, gave Penny an opportunity in space, and played to his strengths. Love it!!

Going forward, barring injury to one or both, I expect to see a similar ratio of use, Carson the featured back, and Penny getting about 1/2 to 3/4 of Carson's carries, but Penny getting a few more targets in the passing game each week, and overall getting 70-80% of the opportunities that Carson gets. Sounds like a winning formula to me.

He just needed his opportunities. When he gets it he is way too great of an athlete to not make some big and explosive plays. I knew he would eventually and they would be forced into giving him a larger role which is already happening in the running game and passing game both. He will continue to do well as he gets his looks. The more the better.

olyfan63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2p2f2lz9 said:
SanDiego49er":2p2f2lz9 said:

Nice! Thank you for reminding us that the way Mr. C. Carson became the Seahawks featured running back in the first place was being a 7th-Round-Afterthought who OUT-COMPETED the 1st Round Golden Boy, a Mr. R. Penny, and relegated him to the bench. Now Mr. Penny has woken up and realized he has to COMPETE in this league if he wants reps. So Carson not only brought it for himself, he's made Penny better by pushing Penny to the bench and giving him a reason to have to work like he means it if he wants into the game.

I'm excited to see the great things our new-found RB *tandem* will do the rest of the season!

P.S.
Q. If you smooshed Carson and Penny into one player, in the experimental "player press", what player would you wind up with?
A. Alvin Kamara! Carson's inside toughness(almost), Penny's speed and elusiveness in space, and good in the passing game, like Penny.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
massari":1yqtxu8h said:
Northwest Seahawk":1yqtxu8h said:
Penny has arrived deal with it haters.
If he keeps playing like he has recently, there will be no more haters.
I've never EVER been a Penny "Hater", I think you're talking out your ass if you believe that there are more than one or two who don't like him, and after Chris Carson's performance tonight?, I'm also not ready to listen to the Carson haters spew their blathering horse shit either.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I think Penny got caught in a no win situation because we had a 7th round RB in Carson who is probably a top ten back in the league. He didn't get the consistent opportunities a #1 pick usually gets because we had our guy. Fortunately he is getting opportunities now and he's taking advantage of them and we look pretty damn good with our 2 backs. I think Homer might end up pushing Procise out the door also.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":4dpvaa5q said:
massari":4dpvaa5q said:
Northwest Seahawk":4dpvaa5q said:
Penny has arrived deal with it haters.
If he keeps playing like he has recently, there will be no more haters.
I've never EVER been a Penny "Hater", I think you're talking out your ass if you believe that there are more than one or two who don't like him, and after Chris Carson's performance tonight?, I'm also not ready to listen to the Carson haters spew their blathering horse $h!t either.

There are no Carson haters what a pathetic rant.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
It's possible this is just a 2 game aberration but I don't think anyone really believes that. We'll see maybe were jumping the gun but it sure looks like he's figured things out .

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Penny with another solid game. Carson still showing why he is the starter, though.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":27rro3vv said:
Penny with another solid game. Carson still showing why he is the starter, though.

Carson was great last night so was Penny. No one is suggesting Penny start over Carson .

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Both backs bring something different to the table and that is huge going forward. Penny looked like he was moving at a different speed than everyone else on that screen pass TD. Carson gets the tough yards and usually gets more than what is there as long as he is moving north and south.
I will say though, if he gets stretched towards the sideline, it seems like it is usually a lost play. He just seems to slow down considerably. Because of that, I've started calling him 10 Yard Fight after the football game from the 80s where your speed got cut in half if you weren't running upfield.