Per Twitter Seahawks are waiving WR Chris Mathews

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Uncle Si":aoz08mbs said:
TwistedHusky":aoz08mbs said:
It is absolutely hilarious, if not sad, that for a team that struggles so much in the RZ - the defense is they need a big WR and just cannot find one. Then they cut one. One that has already produced in important games and in regular season games.

was it the one catch for 8 yards against St. Louis? or the one catch for 13 yards against Green Bay? 1 for 21 against Detroit? the 1 for 12 against Carolina?

Come on. He had one game in which he "produced." You can blame that on coaching if you want. but let's try and be honest with "production"

Normally, I'd concur. But we're the team that can't consistently get Jimmy Graham the ball.

timmat

Reaction score
Uncle Si":223dpykv said:
TwistedHusky":223dpykv said:
It is absolutely hilarious, if not sad, that for a team that struggles so much in the RZ - the defense is they need a big WR and just cannot find one. Then they cut one. One that has already produced in important games and in regular season games.

was it the one catch for 8 yards against St. Louis? or the one catch for 13 yards against Green Bay? 1 for 21 against Detroit? the 1 for 12 against Carolina?

Looked like to me the guy caught pretty much every ball that was thrown to him. What would have happened if they did that 5-6 times a game? Spread him wide, get in a 1-on-1, and when Russ needs to beat pressure, throw a high-point ball to him on the sideline. I just think there were a lot of people expecting to see them at least TRY that approach, given the SB performance, before sending him packing. I think this boils down to a combination of the team not looking to exploit physical mismatches regardless of play call (for Jimmy too), and the coaching staff not liking his performance/effort in practice. Pete's system puts a huge emphasis on practice.

drdiags

Reaction score
The idea that Kevin Smith was to help with getting Lockett a breather on special teams is one to consider. The way Lockett pulled up lame on the late return could be the reason for this move or someone was about to poach Smith and the team would rather keep him than Matthews.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
rcaido":1gms53fy said:
This is a good move...Kevin Smith is what we need! If you aren't trying harder they will get someone who will. Got to get some hungry guys to push people again.

lol.

Chapow

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":60xjk92f said:
He will probably be great with another team.

Yeah, just like Christine Michael...

Oh wait, Michael was just cut by the team with arguably the best OLine in the league and who has lost multiple RBs this season.

Could it be possible that maybe the Seahawks just might actually know what they're doing? Nah, couldn't be. I'm sure your average fan knows better than the Seahawks coaches and front office.

rideaducati

Reaction score
rcaido":3tfk7l05 said:
This is a good move...Kevin Smith is what we need! If you aren't trying harder they will get someone who will. Got to get some hungry guys to push people again.

I guess the only receivers that practice hard are the ones that suck.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Chapow":12dc6fpk said:
Missing_Clink":12dc6fpk said:

Oh wait, Michael was just cut by the team with arguably the best OLine in the league and who has lost multiple RBs this season.

Could it be possible that maybe the Seahawks just might actually know what they're doing? Nah, couldn't be. I'm sure your average fan knows better than the Seahawks coaches and front office.

Possible? Yes. Likely? No. I base this opinion on the fact that Jermaine Kearse is a starter.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":28s3jh78 said:
rcaido":28s3jh78 said:

I guess the only receivers that practice hard are the ones that suck.

Kevin Smith doesn't suck . . . it was crazy that they didn't keep him on the active roster after the way he was playing in practice and during the preseason. He is a much more complete receiver and special teamer than Matthews.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
and yet Kearse remains...not sure Matthews got a fair shot here but might be interesting to see how he does elsewhere. Smith is just another body to blick I guess..

Chapow

Reaction score
rideaducati":fzhpt3y0 said:
Chapow":fzhpt3y0 said:
Missing_Clink":fzhpt3y0 said:

Possible? Yes. Likely? No. I base this opinion on the fact that Jermaine Kearse is a starter.

Your raging Kearse hate is really over the top. It's bizarre really.

And the list of guys that have had one or two really good games in the NFL only to never be heard from again is pretty damn long.

timmat

Reaction score
At this point, given the state of our O line and passing game, it's hard to judge the skill of any of our WRs. WRs have never thrived statistically in this system. IMO Baldwin would be outstanding in a system like NE or GB runs. No WR is really getting consistent targets.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2nvtdknv said:
Waiving Matthews opens a spot for Jeremy Lane to be added to the active roster. They can always use Garry Gilliam or Alvin Bailey as a "blocking TE" if needed.

We need "blocking TEs" who are actual turnstiles? What ever gave you the idea that either of those guys can block?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Chapow":34ytonvr said:
Missing_Clink":34ytonvr said:

Except for the fact that the Seahawks drafted him.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Chapow":5os0udly said:
rideaducati":5os0udly said:
Chapow":5os0udly said:
Missing_Clink":5os0udly said:

Your raging Kearse hate is really over the top. It's bizarre really.

And the list of guys that have had one or two really good games in the NFL only to never be heard from again is pretty damn long.
I don't hate Kearse, he just sucks as a wide receiver.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
This move bothers me. Matthews was never given a real shot imo. I was looking forward to him being given an opportunity this season, especially in the RZ seeing him on one side and Graham on the other. And then all season Matthews was targeted what 8 times? People knocking him as a one hit wonder or simply surmising him as just not good, I'd argue this is the equivalent of a hitter being given only 10 at-bats, if that. How many 6'5 receivers with great vertical range do the Hawks expect to find? Yet PC and JS seem to just drip with enthusiasm for brittle 5'10 180lb "athletic" receivers. I hope Matthews signs with someone else and tears it up.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is another case I'm my opinion about having a player with a skill set or body type and not setting up plays to take advantage of them.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
GeekHawk":pd4cv9kr said:
hawkfan68":pd4cv9kr said:
Waiving Matthews opens a spot for Jeremy Lane to be added to the active roster. They can always use Garry Gilliam or Alvin Bailey as a "blocking TE" if needed.

We need "blocking TEs" who are actual turnstiles? What ever gave you the idea that either of those guys can block?

Alvin Bailey blocked well enough last season and the season prior to that. Both seasons the Seahawks went to the Superbowl. Gilliam played TE at Penn State. TE could be his natural position. Unger sucked at G early in his career but was very good once he moved back to center (his natural sport in college).

Exittium

Reaction score
They shoulda kept him.. And then convert him to a CB... Cant be worse than Cary right...?