Per Twitter Seahawks are waiving WR Chris Mathews

Chapow

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1l10ju64 said:
Chapow":1l10ju64 said:
Missing_Clink":1l10ju64 said:
He will probably be great with another team.

Yeah, just like Christine Michael...

Oh wait, Michael was just cut by the team with arguably the best OLine in the league and who has lost multiple RBs this season.

Could it be possible that maybe the Seahawks just might actually know what they're doing? Nah, couldn't be. I'm sure your average fan knows better than the Seahawks coaches and front office.

Except for the fact that the Seahawks drafted him.

Every team drafts players that don't end up working out. Every single one. The bust rate for 1st round draft picks is roughly 50%, it gets worse after round 1. Michael was a late 2nd round pick.

"He's the most gifted tailback in this class, albeit troubled. He's had off-field issues and got in Kevin Sumlin's doghouse, which is why he slipped. But if he stays straight, boy is he gifted." -- Mike Mayock

This was what damn near everyone was saying about Michael before and after the draft. I believe the Seahawks knew he was somewhat of a risk, but a risk they were willing take at the end of round 2 for a guy that many believed was the most gifted tailback in his class. Sucks that it didn't work out.

HawkerD

Reaction score
We have a blocking TE on the roster...its Gilliam. Except the powers that be decided to make him a tackle which he obviously is not.

JimmyG

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":whvcn6kn said:
This move bothers me. Matthews was never given a real shot imo. I was looking forward to him being given an opportunity this season, especially in the RZ seeing him on one side and Graham on the other. And then all season Matthews was targeted what 8 times? People knocking him as a one hit wonder or simply surmising him as just not good, I'd argue this is the equivalent of a hitter being given only 10 at-bats, if that. How many 6'5 receivers with great vertical range do the Hawks expect to find? Yet PC and JS seem to just drip with enthusiasm for brittle 5'10 180lb "athletic" receivers. I hope Matthews signs with someone else and tears it up.
I disagree. Matthews was given a shot. That shot is known as "practice". Clearly, the coaches didn't feel like he warranted more playing time or opportunities based on what they saw in practice.

I'm fine with us letting go of Matthews. Matthews is just another example of fans falling in love with potential. Every year in the draft there are countless players like Matthews -- physical specimens that we drool over. This seems exceedingly common with wide receivers; every year, many of those receivers completely bust and amount to absolutely nothing. There's a reason this guy, despite having all the measurables in the world, had to play in the CFL.

Matthews reminds me a lot of Stephen Hill. Remember him? Picked up by the Jets in the early part of the 2nd round of the 2012 draft. Just a complete beast (6'4", 215 lbs, 4.36 40 time, 39.5" vertical jump, 30 YPC in college, etc). Scored 2 TD in his debut. Was just a colossal bust after that.

I'm glad we took a flyer on Matthews, because this front office has done a great job of finding diamonds in the rough. I refuse to believe he was wronged though.

Rob12

Reaction score
I think he was given every opportunity to shine here. There must be some serious issues with him. If he wasn't bringing it in practice, I think this coaching staff probably gave him more time than they were comfortable with.

He's a deep threat, but he seemed to me to be a one trick pony. This organization does have a recent track record of letting receivers go who move on somewhere else and don't have much of an impact. That's true with running backs as well with the recent departures of Michael and Turbin, who were cut loose, quickly snatched up by other teams, and are now both unemployed.

I don't expect him to go somewhere else and light it up. I think if he went to NE, he might have a shot. But I don't see that happening.

He looked great in the SB. I wish he could have somehow built on that more.

Exittium

Reaction score
Rob12":qcmgo8sb said:
I think he was given every opportunity to shine here. There must be some serious issues with him. If he wasn't bringing it in practice, I think this coaching staff probably gave him more time than they were comfortable with.

He's a deep threat, but he seemed to me to be a one trick pony. This organization does have a recent track record of letting receivers go who move on somewhere else and don't have much of an impact. That's true with running backs as well with the recent departures of Michael and Turbin, who were cut loose, quickly snatched up by other teams, and are now both unemployed.

I don't expect him to go somewhere else and light it up. I think if he went to NE, he might have a shot. But I don't see that happening.

Agreed. I thought I read somewhere that a lot of the reasons for him having auch limited roles was his lack of practice or not being "all in " practice. I wish i could remember where I read it. I believe is was DB who said it. Said he's a great player and has some skills but not much for work ethic.. I cant remember now I need to do some searching lol

Which if is the case.. Makes sense.

Edit okay so no one said that. It wa said by DB that he could do what he did in the superbowl all the time if given the chance.

And then matthews talked about its up to coaches to determine when is his time to play... Which imo means maybe he's just not "all in" and Kevin Smith is?.. Who knows Matthews has been on and off the PS since last year quiet a few times lol

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. We don't need more bodies or different bodies. We need a new philosophy to win games.
We can add Julian Edelman, Randy Moss, Danny Amendola, Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, ... etc. If we don't get first downs, those guys will be starving for the ball and will be called "Failures" too.
Our struggles is because our coaches, GM have failed to adapt their philosophy to our current personal. Teams have figured us out. But, our coaches are stubborn. They don't have a plan B.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
joeseahawks":lypqd270 said:
Doesn't matter. We don't need more bodies or different bodies. We need a new philosophy to win games.
We can add Julian Edelman, Randy Moss, Danny Amendola, Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, ...Russell is still throwing to Kearse in double coverage and no separation

FIFY

Hustle_Wilson

Reaction score
He seems bound for one of the dreaded Packers, Panthers or Pats, with the second being the likeliest given their love of the big wr and already dealing for a Hawks WR.

Bennett was right, they are like a good looking cousin of the Hawks, especially with their high % of run plays. Maybe they put in a claim for C-Mike too.

pmedic920

Reaction score
chris98251":1ghqtus0 said:
This is another case I'm my opinion about having a player with a skill set or body type and not setting up plays to take advantage of them.

I tend to agree.
PC/JS seem to try to fit guys into the plan and it seems that they really shy away from modifying the plan to fit guys.
IMHO when you have an exceptional talent in a player, it warrants modifying the plan a little.
I really wish we would be more flexible in this regard.

kearly

Reaction score
Kevin Smith is just one of those guys who isn't elite or amazing, but just always impresses. I don't think he has a Bobby Engram career ahead of him, but of all the receivers on the team today, he reminds me of Engram the most in terms of his ability to be consistently better than he should be.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":16fbetdr said:
Kevin Smith is just one of those guys who isn't elite or amazing, but just always impresses. I don't think he has a Bobby Engram career ahead of him, but of all the receivers on the team today, he reminds me of Engram the most in terms of his ability to be consistently better than he should be.

Sounds like all the other WRs on this team.

We know how that's turned out.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Rob12":2ff7ibr3 said:

Matthews wasn't a deep threat; he didn't have the speed.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
It's Incredible how many people are convinced that Mathews would be the savior if he was used properly, solely based off a solid performance in 1 game. 1 game.

timmat

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":mogog3hy said:
It's Incredible how many people are convinced that Mathews would be the savior if he was used properly, solely based off a solid performance in 1 game. 1 game.
But I think the frustration stems from the fact that he was only given consistent targets in one game too - and was successful. If he'd been targeted more and we saw some failure with our own eyes, then there would be less negative response.

peppersjap

Reaction score
timmat":3gqm23cg said:
XxXdragonXxX":3gqm23cg said:
But I think the frustration stems from the fact that he was only given consistent targets in one game too - and was successful. If he'd been targeted more and we saw some failure with our own eyes, then there would be less negative response.
I watch the games pretty closely (at least twice) and he gets zero separation! People act like he was some kind of rising superstar. He was a guy who finally made it in the CFL which is not saying much. He is 26 years old so not a kid. He was on our team all year last year and most fans had no idea who he was when he was fortunate enough to recover an onside kick vs GB. That recovery was not because of talent it was because a GB player was an idiot and he was in the right place at the right time. I think it is pretty telling that this player that most Seahawk fans think was our next budding superstar passed through waivers without anyone picking him up. When he was cut someone said the Patriots will jump at him but know way he makes it to them, well he made it to them and now he is unemployed. He had 1 great game because of a huge mismatch. The fact that he couldn't take Jerome Kearse's job should tell everyone everything they need to know.

timmat

Reaction score
peppersjap":37pwzmfh said:
timmat":37pwzmfh said:
XxXdragonXxX":37pwzmfh said:
I watch the games pretty closely (at least twice) and he gets zero separation! People act like he was some kind of rising superstar. He was a guy who finally made it in the CFL which is not saying much. He is 26 years old so not a kid. He was on our team all year last year and most fans had no idea who he was when he was fortunate enough to recover an onside kick vs GB. That recovery was not because of talent it was because a GB player was an idiot and he was in the right place at the right time. I think it is pretty telling that this player that most Seahawk fans think was our next budding superstar passed through waivers without anyone picking him up. When he was cut someone said the Patriots will jump at him but know way he makes it to them, well he made it to them and now he is unemployed. He had 1 great game because of a huge mismatch. The fact that he couldn't take Jerome Kearse's job should tell everyone everything they need to know.

Some good points here. However, I do believe that there were other opportunities to re-create the huge mismatch we exploited in the Super Bowl. At 6'5" with good hands - and assuming Baldwin or Lockett or Graham would be drawing #1 protection attention from the other team - I would just have liked to have seen a few high-point 1-on-1 attempts go his way and see what would happen. The separation Matthews creates is with his catch radius, not distance between defender. To me, he didn't seem like a guy with star power. But he did seem like a legit option to beat pressure based on the physical mismatch and potential 1-on-1 coverage if split wide.

As for beating out Kearse, Jermaine has made some huge plays for this team over the past three years, and combined with Wilson's trust of him, Kearse gets a pretty big pass from this staff IMO. I'm not sure Matthews was ever in line to beat him out.

Matthews is gone, and was not going to be a difference maker in this season's woes. And maybe his lack of success was fully on display to the coaches during practice. I just think lots of fans expected the Hawks to at least TRY to get him some more opportunities this season.

Rob12

Reaction score
Basis4day":1fscgbbl said:
He went unclaimed on waivers.

This is very telling of his skill set and perhaps his mentality/work ethic as well.

The guy balled out in the SB because he was a complete unknown. Now that there's some film on him, he was rendered essentially useless to this team.