Percy Harvin impressed with fellow Seahawks receivers

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Prior to last year Harvin was only designated 'Inactive' for 3 games in 3 seasons including a playoff appearance. That's 3 games out of 50, which is pretty good.

There were some games he was active for but not utilized; still he was suited up and with the team and could have played.

However this idea that he missed a bunch of games is overblown, mainly because the issue with his migraines came up around the time they had a certain media-magnet QB#4 in town that sort of magnified the whole thing.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1u67ldwo said:
A majority being from migranes which have been cured.

I was about to pipe up on this, too. Migraines along with an actual illness such as the flu one time, as well.

I think Harvin's got a tougher body than most believe.

RUHawk

Reaction score
Let Tate walk. 1. Sidney (draft replacment) 2. Harvin Slot: Baldwin.

Tate. Harvin. Baldwin is more talented but too small. Could you imagine if all our offensive players were shorter than 5"11 haha.

Hawks46

Reaction score
sutz":s4jnr0gb said:
We may not have the 'big' WR on the roster, but I think we have 4 very capable and intriguing guys on the squad that will rip the NFL a new one this season.

I know individual/personal stats may not be high because there is only one football out there to spread around, but I look forward to these guys taking turns taking over games. It strikes me that none of these guys will be bothered much if their individual numbers don't skyrocket. Opponents will have difficult decisions to make because none of these guys are guys you can afford to single cover very often. Heaven forbid one runs free.

:)

I agree. When it comes down to our WR corps, it's going to be about individual matchups. Teams are going to be able to take away Rice, and sometimes Tate at the same time (Atlanta with their 2 deep Cover 2 zone), but then you saw Miller just tear it up. Harvin is a mismatch against most starting CBs and he's going to be our slot guy...the only nickle CB in the league likely able to cover him is actually on our team, so teams will have to account for that. THen, when they get stung over the top by Rice, gashed by Tate on a single man matchup, or watch Miller or Willson gash a zone, they're going to have to adjust. Then Harvin gets his touches.

Throw in the running game, and it's going to be a scary offense this year.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2rdwpyc5 said:
Prior to last year Harvin was only designated 'Inactive' for 3 games in 3 seasons including a playoff appearance. That's 3 games out of 50, which is pretty good.

There were some games he was active for but not utilized; still he was suited up and with the team and could have played.

However this idea that he missed a bunch of games is overblown, mainly because the issue with his migraines came up around the time they had a certain media-magnet QB#4 in town that sort of magnified the whole thing.

I saw on a minnesota game that while he dressed for and played in many games he didn't actually play the full games because of the migrane issue. If correct that would boost his stat while leaving the rumor out there that he wasn't playing. Technically both would be correct........

Not sure if true and it isn't like you can look at a minutes per game to determine. You could look at % of offensive snaps I guess

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
mikeak":1jtuc4ua said:
You could look at % of offensive snaps I guess

I just checked. Harvin's offensive snap percentage for games he played in by year:

2012: 71.9%
2011: 58.9%
2010: 69.6%
2009: 48.9%

Remember, these numbers do not include games he didn't have a snap in, so entire games missed due to injury do not count toward this. These percentages seem pretty low, overall. Let's compare it to another #1 receiver, Megatron:

2012: 96.0%
2011: 92.9%
2010: 96.0%
2009: 89.1%

Very interesting. Let's check another #1, just to be sure; Roddy White:

2012: 93.3%
2011: 91.1%
2010: 82.3%
2009: 88.5%

Looks like Harvin had limited snaps a lot of the time.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1ek9llfa said:
FlyingGreg":1ek9llfa said:
Baldwin is going to have a big season.

I just don't see that happening without injury to one of the 3 ahead of him. Unless your definition of "Big Season" is different than mine. I just don't feel the opportunity is there for him.

How many receptions/yards would he need to have for you to consider him to have had a "big season"?

Well, you have to assess him for his role -- he's not a #1 or #2. He won't have a big season by NFL standards.

However, teams are going to be so focused on Harvin, Wilson, Rice, Tate, Miller and Lynch... that leaves Doug available for the table scraps.

I see him becoming a huge 3rd down role player for us, along the lines of Bobby Engram. Just a gut feeling, really. You can tell he is itching to prove himself again.

ivotuk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3i94trep said:
kearly":3i94trep said:
Harvin kind of touches on it- comparing himself to Baldwin. For all the talk about Tate and Harvin having too similar a skillset, I always thought it was Baldwin who compared more to Harvin. Same role, similar quickness, similar smarts, similar competitiveness, similar lack of durability.

WELL, then having two of those guys on the team should even out the durability issue, n'est-ce pas?

Ahah! I see you have been cogitating with the little grey cells! Bon! Bon! :)

v1rotv2

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2oy5ozqn said:
FlyingGreg":2oy5ozqn said:

I just don't see that happening without injury to one of the 3 ahead of him. Unless your definition of "Big Season" is different than mine. I just don't feel the opportunity is there for him.

How many receptions/yards would he need to have for you to consider him to have had a "big season"?

If Harvin and Baldwin are on the field at the same time very much I can see Baldwin getting a few more passes coming his way. That's because teams will double up Harvin and Baldwin will reap the rewards for that mistake.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
v1rotv2":zgj9h320 said:
T-Sizzle":zgj9h320 said:
FlyingGreg":zgj9h320 said:

If Harvin and Baldwin are on the field at the same time very much I can see Baldwin getting a few more passes coming his way. That's because teams will double up Harvin and Baldwin will reap the rewards for that mistake.

I see him getting 25 to 30 receptions......duplicating last seasons production.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hawknballs":10q234r1 said:

Also, it will help Harvin's health that he's not going to be the go-to-guy here and get over a 100 targets, Seahawks added him to improve the short to intermediate passing game, take pressure off Lynch, Wilson, and the Seahawks WR corps making the offense even more less predicable while providing significant Special Team's impact, as well as to influence and strengthen the Defense against WRs with Harvin's capabilities.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Harvin is 185 pounds. And he pretends he weighs 250 pounds when he has the ball in his hands. He will spend time injured while in Seattle. It is what it is. Keeping receivers happy with their roles is going to be a challenge for this staff. Fortunately, we know we can rack points without him, we did it last year.

We do not have a 100 catch guy on this team, IMO. If Sean Payton was the coach, we could have 2 or 3 guys with 100 targets or more. What we do have is an array of playmakers and players smart enough to adjust to what defenses try to take away. When Pete outlined his plan for the Hawks a couple of years back, after the first season was over, he talked about a need for playmakers. Well, we got em, and how. And when you add to our list of playmakers the guys who may develop into playmakers, like Michael and Harper, this offense is loaded.

Sidenote, Harvin and AP were pretty much it in Minny, and since Favre took them to the NFCCG, they have not had a decent distributor behind center. Has to feel good to him to know he can't always be the weapon the D tries to take away.

If our offensive line has some continuity this year, I feel like a top 3 offense is in reach. With all the playmakers on this D, we are going to have some pretty fun ass kickings to watch this year.

kearly

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":8h84mt63 said:
A majority being from migranes which have been cured.

Fair point. That said, I've always felt that Harvin was fortunate to not be injured much more than he has been, given his extremely physical style of play in a (relatively) slight frame.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think spread these guys out and how you going to stop Lynch up the middle?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Scottemojo":pzpfzjux said:
Harvin is 185 pounds. And he pretends he weighs 250 pounds when he has the ball in his hands. He will spend time injured while in Seattle. It is what it is. Keeping receivers happy with their roles is going to be a challenge for this staff. Fortunately, we know we can rack points without him, we did it last year.

We do not have a 100 catch guy on this team, IMO. If Sean Payton was the coach, we could have 2 or 3 guys with 100 targets or more. What we do have is an array of playmakers and players smart enough to adjust to what defenses try to take away. When Pete outlined his plan for the Hawks a couple of years back, after the first season was over, he talked about a need for playmakers. Well, we got em, and how. And when you add to our list of playmakers the guys who may develop into playmakers, like Michael and Harper, this offense is loaded.

Sidenote, Harvin and AP were pretty much it in Minny, and since Favre took them to the NFCCG, they have not had a decent distributor behind center. Has to feel good to him to know he can't always be the weapon the D tries to take away.

If our offensive line has some continuity this year, I feel like a top 3 offense is in reach. With all the playmakers on this D, we are going to have some pretty fun ass kickings to watch this year.

With our defense and ST's it's going to be hard to be a top ranked defense capping repeated 45 yard drives with TD's because we don't have the field position to rack up more yards.

I know, bummer huh!!!

nanomoz

Reaction score
Pretty cool. I don't think Baldwin will put up big numbers, be he'll be in a position to make some big catches in space in 4-wr groupings. Not many teams will be able to cover Rice, Tate, and Harvin without leaving gaps around one of the hashmarks at intermediate levels.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RichNhansom":346g6nsn said:
Scottemojo":346g6nsn said:

With our defense and ST's it's going to be hard to be a top ranked defense capping repeated 45 yard drives with TD's because we don't have the field position to rack up more yards.

I know, bummer huh!!!
I only care about the points scored stat. Yards are for fantasy ball. We were one of the most efficient offenses last year, I expect that to continue.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Kind of like our D last year? I don't know how you calculate the # 1 defense in the NFL if it simply is not the defense that allowed the least points. Double that when factoring some of the offenses we played against.

I'm in agreement with you. I could care less about stats as long as the important numbers line up.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kearly":3j6xlexs said:
Fair point. That said, I've always felt that Harvin was fortunate to not be injured much more than he has been, given his extremely physical style of play in a (relatively) slight frame.

I might get crapped on for this, but I've always been of the opinion that mental aggressiveness and toughness plays a decently sized role in injury above and beyond the body size restrictions of players. Think of how if you headbutt someone, compared to if they headbutt you. One hurts quite a bit more than the other, despite it being the same impact on the same part of the body; know what I mean? If you're the aggressor, you seem to get less injured.

Latest posts