Percy Harvin vs. Cordarrelle Patterson

TheGrandViking

Reaction score
Throwdown":2gdvdk7y said:
If it weren't for AP, the Vikings would be in the running for Teddy Bridgewater, for realz.

There are some fantastic posts in this thread. The Irony is multilayered with this comment considering the parties involved.

endzorn

Reaction score
I live in Vikings country and I catch Paul Allen's interviews with Patterson every now and then. I don't know how he compares to Percy talent-wise, but he's a great kid.

TheGrandViking

Reaction score
endzorn":1zts7cih said:
I live in Vikings country and I catch Paul Allen's interviews with Patterson every now and then. I don't know how he compares to Percy talent-wise, but he's a great kid.

Bob McGinn, long time packer writer, insinuated he was strange and had character concerns according to some scouts (before he was drafted). I think I understand what that was about. He is bit "different" but it is in a good way. He is a kid that smiles (probably too much by NFL standards) and treats it more like a "fun" game. He definately isn't hard driving personality that sees the game as a life and death struggle.

I've really enjoyed him so far. The AD situation has been tough for fans, so he has been a bright spot for fans.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Thanks for bumping a 1 year old thread. Now it's my turn to jump on the vikings board and bump every thread about Christian Ponder when he was drafted. Franchise savior.

TheGrandViking

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2u6fdmnt said:
Thanks for bumping a 1 year old thread. Now it's my turn to jump on the vikings board and bump every thread about Christian Ponder when he was drafted. Franchise savior.

Go for it. Christian Ponder was always a polarizing character with some fans who never jumped on board even after the 49ers game (2nd year 3rd game upset victory by the vikes). I would predict even his biggest supporters never viewed him as a savior. Vikings fans can be a fairly cynical lot and have been battle-harded by past failures either from shooting themselves in the foot or being screwed over (1975 cowboys vs. Viking "whisky bottle game", 1987 "darren Nelson drop", 1998 "da Knee", and 2009 "Bounty Gate"). You would probably garner some chuckles.

I've lurked a couple of times here and just curious to see how the Harvin experiement would work. I wanted to see him some of my observations as a Viking would be the same for the Hawks. I honestly thought he would make it three years until his demons would surface.

You guys won a SB basically making it there w/o a big contribution from him. This really shouldn't be that bad from a fan perspective.

I was just suprised that his issues surfaced so quickly.

TheGrandViking

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1esfcuib said:
No doubt to anyone that the experiment has failed terribly. Cutting losses.

If you never test it, you'll never know.

The one fact no one can deny he is an impact player....for good or for ill. He did have a positive impact on your SB game, but I think your D was more important. His return was the dagger though for Denver.

As bad as the trade looks now, the vikings made the H. Walker trade 25 years ago. The thinking was we just needed one more piece and ended up going to pieces.

I still enjoy watching PH as strange as that might sound.

TheGrandViking

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":5i1z8sf1 said:
No doubt to anyone that the experiment has failed terribly. Cutting losses.

I also give props to the front office of seattle. They, unlike other front offices, quickly identify a mistake and take quick action to rectify it (matt Flynn comes to mind). How many GMs would try to grind this out to save face?

mikeak

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":lm2f4x9c said:
At this point, it's really impossible to even begin to judge this deal. Obviously, Harvin is a special talent.

But we don't know the total cost of this deal either. Outside of the draft picks, Harvin's deal is going to force us to cut ties with players we might otherwise keep when cap space becomes an issue in 2014 and 2015. From a simple math standpoint, we are paying Harvin about 9M a year more than a first round pick would have been. That 9M is going to have to be recovered in order to pay the likes of Thomas and Richard.

In addition, the precedent is now set. Guys like Tate who will be UFA next season is going to want a hefty raise. I'd say the Harvin deal kills any ability to get some type of hometown discount. It's entirely conceivable that we won't be able to resign him, and Harvin's contract is going to be the immediate cause for being unable to do so. If that should happen, then you may as well frame the trade as our first rounder this year, next year's third rounder and Tate. And that price could expand every year as other players added in 2011-12 come up for renewal and we don't have cap space to accomodate them.

The contract is going to force us to let guys walk. That's a cost we don't incur if we stuck with our first round pick and didn't trade for him.

Likewise, we don't know what the value of Harvin will bring and that won't be known until probably the end of next year. However if Harvin does come back and that infusion of ability allows us to go deep into the playoffs and maybe make a super bowl appearance, then I'd say it was well worth it.

It's a home run swing kind of deal. It's not the kind of opportunity that comes along very often. We just can't know the benefits and costs yet. So making a judgement now is just horribly premature.

You weren't alone with this sentiment - a few of us expressed this middle of the road caution. But this post was spot on - on every account