Personal Draft grades

Your Grade with closing of draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
That might be fair when it comes to talent alone, but the complete picture should also include cost. Can we agree that the most talented team every year is necessarily the one with the highest talent per dollar spent?

Bijan's cost:
406 draft capital (RH)
2023: $4.2m
2024: $5.2m
2025: $6.2m
2026: $7.3m

Charbonnet's cost
109 draft capital (RH)
2023: $1.3m
2024: $1.6m
2025: $1.9m
2026: $2.2m

McIntosh's cost
2 draft capital (RH)
2023: $0.8m
2024: $0.9m
2025: $1.1m
2026: $1.2m

I do like Bijan at #8 way more than Gibbs at #12.
Sure but when we say the best it’s talent not $

Robinson obviously is too expensive for the Seahawks

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Just for transparency

I voted “we killed it”.
It’s absolutely possible that some of these guys will be a bust, but I’m stoked over this draft. More than any in a long time.

I was totally surprised by our 1st and 2nd round choices but not disappointed in any way.

GoHawks
Go2023 draft class.
YEP!! Me too.
I believe that Pete (like last season) is going to continue giving a bunch of newbies a chance to prove themselves, as I think he's pulling out some of the stops that were in place before, I thinkhe wants to plug them in WHILE HE'S STILL HERE, I mean IF he decides to hang up his whistle, he will at the very least have positioned HIS TEAM to take the bull by the horns so the NEXT HC coming in, can hit the ground running.

Jac

Reaction score

Poster analysis from the 49ers board. What I like about this is that it seems like, in contrast, the Seahawks have course-corrected their own decision making framework over the past two years. They've done a great job closing the talent gap IMO, and you're going to start seeing that in overall results next year.

"Summary:
For the second year in a row, you really have to wonder what the 49ers' decision making framework is for the draft. As teams like the Eagles, Seahawks, Chiefs load up on elite talent at DL, OL, CB and key skill positions, the Niners are taking Kickers and reaching for TEs and RBs with valuable top 100 picks. Besides Brown who should be a solid playmaking S and future starter, the rest of the 3rd Round is laughable. Passing on potential starting OTs like Nick Saldiveri and Blake Freeland and CBs like Keelee Ringo for a K and likely #3 TE is criminal. The Niners made up for it slightly later in the draft, betting on toolsy players at important positions with Luter Jr. and Beal Jr. but the Latu pick in particular sticks out as the worst in recent memory. I fully expect Willis - who was taken nearly 150 picks later to outplay him; this is going to ben exactly like Trey Sermon vs Eli Mitchell. We'll see if Latu can make it to year 2. While their biggest rivals were busy loading up, Niners brass were cracking jokes about taking a kicker in the 3rd. The hubris of this front office is stultifying and portends very badly for a team that desperately needs to replenish talent at key positions to maintain the competitive balance of power. Despite not drafting until late on Day 2, the Niners had plenty of opportunities to add key depth and talent in important positions; time and again they failed to do so. This makes me very worried about the fate of this roster beyond the 2023 season
Final Grade: C-"

BASF

Reaction score
We killed it.

The QBOTF thing is weird. There were two QB's that can start day one and run an NFL offense well and there was no way we were getting them. There is complete project who is two years away from being able to run an NFL offense, which a soon to be retiring Executive Vice President is not going to waste a top five draft pick on. Don't even get me started on Will Levis. I liked him less than I liked Richardson and I did not like Richardson much.

It was always going to come down to Will Anderson Jr being there at five. He wasn't. They grabbed a great corner that was a fiery team leader. Does anyone remember Quandre Diggs saying he wanted Bobby Wagner back because he wasn't comfortable with the leader role last season? We also had a major problem since Jordan Brooks did not turn out to be that great a leader last season. Witherspoon was a major leader for Illinois.

While I can see the argument that Mazi Smith should have been the pick here, he had some serious weaknesses that should have had him lasting to thirty-seven, who knew the Cowboys would take him in the first round? I really like JSN's tape. He will be an important day one contributor and will replace Lockett when he prices himself out of being a Seahawk, probably next season.

I really like Derick Hall. His length and frame reminds me of Julian Peterson after he put on weight in the NFL. He will be a good player. I like Mafe to be the starter on his side, but the rotation is important and we had to bring in an aged Bruce Irvin off the street last season. No one should be counting on the players that were on the roster last season that we never saw play. Also, Hall was another defensive leader on his team as one of their captains.

I really wanted Charbonnet. For those old timers like me, he has some John L in him and we have a dimension coming into our offense that we have not had in a long time. I am looking forward to having him and K9 in the backfield together a few plays a game. How do you defend the two disparate backs at the same time?

For the rest of the draft, there was only Bradford (thought he was too big for our offensive tendencies) and Reed (why scout a safety when we have so many, but I still think there are June 1 cuts coming there) that I had not scouted since the others would be contributors from day one. After watching what I could of Bradford, I think he wins the starting job. Love the Olu Olu pick. Love the Kenny McIntosh pick.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yea, my opinion is if you’re gunna reach on a player it SHOULD NOT be a QB.

I’m 100% behind them not forcing that issue
Same here. But if he wasn't there, and obviously he wasn't as we passed on both Levis and Hooker, then the next best option would have been to trade down and pocket a 2024 first rounder as eventually we're going to need to find that QBOTF.

And maybe we did, as it took us a helluva long time to get our pick in when our name was called. I am good with who they took as their Plan C, but no matter the reason and even if our brain trust did everything right, it has to be a disappointment that we didn't get our QB nor did we acquire more draft capital so we might land one in 2024. We may not have another top 5 pick for a long, long time.

I'm fine with the bottom part of the draft, but obviously the lower the round, the longer the odds are that they'll pan out.

That's one of the reasons why I graded this draft a 'C', the other one being that we burned high draft picks on a WR and RB, neither of whom are expected to start. Pete's devaluation of the offensive line, particularly the interior offensive line, is a major frustration for me. He seems to regard the OG and C positions as a fall back option for busted tackles.

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
The Athletic ranked us fourth after the Eagles, Colts, and Texans.

4. Seattle Seahawks

ROUNDOVERALLPLAYERPOSITIONSCHOOL
15Devon WitherspoonCBFe28ab31e7710b5c41aae66b9dd1c661ae021d13Illinois
120Jaxon Smith-NjigbaWRCf5500e764bfdf5f919ce4a7d568e0997e214e93Ohio State
237Derick HallEdge9119c28ed7565f5c58d3a52c74cbc53e323d680fAuburn
252Zach CharbonnetRBB6a38fe0b72c9803f0474870db7f2f809a40be0aUCLA
4108Anthony BradfordGE89029421479ba43cecb2526710a39619ddf9880LSU
4123Cameron YoungDTC3c835484efca8c1432c3babf294715a33405027Mississippi St.
5151Mike MorrisEdge6854a803a66a909da4e5fe8b23c8f2354161bc56Michigan
5154Olu OluwatimiC6854a803a66a909da4e5fe8b23c8f2354161bc56Michigan
6198Jerrick Reed IIS96aa0ad62ffda88a5e3189a2294d84fe09b06298New Mexico
7237Kenny McIntoshRBBa2256341d98c2f1e85eb9a44262f8f2ac77eeb5Georgia
Favorite pick: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
The Seahawks had one of the best draft classes last year, and history should be kind to their 2023 draft haul too. Adding Devon Witherspoon to the cornerback rotation is exciting, but dropping Smith-Njigba into this offense is even more fun. With DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett already established as playmakers, the Ohio State slot receiver should be able to feast over the middle of the field. It won’t be a surprise if Geno Smith goes to his second straight Pro Bowl after this season.

Day 3 pick who could surprise: Anthony Bradford, G, LSU
My 101st-ranked player, Bradford went a few picks later than that and could easily outplay that draft slot. Broadly built at 6-4, 332, he has impressive movement skills for his body type and the power to move defenders with sheer force. Youthful habits (excessive leaning, timing issues, etc.) might keep him from earning a starting job right away, but his upside is exciting.

bileever

Reaction score
The Athletic ranked us fourth after the Eagles, Colts, and Texans.
I wouldn't rate the Eagles' draft so high. If Jalen Carter has red flags as a #5 pick, he's still a questionable pick at #9. It's not like they took him in the second round. And Nolan Smith is a 235 pound edge rusher--will that even work in the NFL? He had an incredible performance at the combine, including a 4.39 time in the 40, but speed is not the main skill you need for that position. I would have been disappointed if we took Nolan Smith in the first round.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
The only thing that I didn't like is not taking Hooker at 52.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Give me Olu Olu in the fifth round ten times out of ten instead of using the second round picks on the others. Olu Olu is not that far behind in talent or technique than any of them that went before him.
He definitely has the experience, 45 starts at two FBS schools, all at center, and he has a nice trophy case with both the Outland and Rimmington awards. We currently have just one center on the roster, and he's best described as a journeyman that couldn't catch on with 4 other teams. Joey Hunt is still hanging around on a reserves/futures contract, so it's pretty slim pickings. Olu has a chance to start right out of the gate.

But I'm not holding my breath. Olu was the 6th center taken, and there has to be a reason why 5 GM's passed on him to take someone else. They can't all be a bunch of morons.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
But I'm not holding my breath. Olu was the 6th center taken, and there has to be a reason why 5 GM's passed on him to take someone else. They can't all be a bunch of morons.

There is a reason... he has small hands.

RiverDog

Reaction score
There is a reason... he has small hands.
At 6'2", I'd imagine he has fairly short arms, too, and I read that he doesn't do well at one-on-one run blocking. Nevertheless, he has a good chance at starting.

I do like the fact that he's started 45 games with two different FBS schools. Plus, he started out at the Air Force Academy, graduated with a degree in economics at Virginia, and was a graduate student at UM for his senior year of eligibility, so he must have some smarts, a key ingredient for what's widely considered to be the quarterback of the offensive line.

But when it comes down to it, the fact that we're talking about a 5th round center says more about the state of the position and how neglectful our coaching staff has been than it does about the player.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
But when it comes down to it, the fact that we're talking about a 5th round center says more about the state of the position and how neglectful our coaching staff has been than it does about the player.

It says more about how the entire league values the position than just a slight against the Hawks FO.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score

Seahawker

Reaction score
I see this draft haul as two parts.
Rounds 1 & 2 and rounds 4 & 5.
5 Witherspoon
20 Njigba
37 Hall
52 Charbonnet
154 C Olu Olu

We need the 4th & 5th rounders to be solid for this to be an extraordinary, transformational draft. Regardless, I give this draft an A-/B+ out the gate.
This has a chance of being the best Seahawk draft ever.
The undrafted class is interesting too...