Pete and Bevell need to open up the passing game more

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I haven't check your figures; but if the 'Hawks' record was 4-4 when Wilson threw 30+ times a game, and 25-5 when he throws less than 30 times a game...Why the heck would you want him to throw MORE than 30 times a game? ...unless your a Denver fan?

Now that being said, I don't mind if we throw 40 times a game, as long as win run it 41 times a game. :mrgreen:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
LymonHawk":88k5pfrk said:
I haven't check your figures; but if the 'Hawks' record was 4-4 when Wilson threw 30+ times a game, and 25-5 when he throws less than 30 times a game...Why the heck would you want him to throw MORE than 30 times a game? ...unless your a Denver fan?

Now that being said, I don't mind if we throw 40 times a game, as long as win run it 41 times a game. :mrgreen:
You're confusing correlation and causation. Virtually every game Wilson threw a lot in, we were throwing because we were in trouble. If anything, it's evidence that we should work on making him more comfortable with tossin' the pigskin more. :)

CEHawk

Reaction score
We don't need to change anything for Wilson to get more throws and yardage in passing, we just need to improve overall as an offense. I think that will happen this year with the additions and the growth in existing talent. More open receivers, more yards per carry = more pass attempts and more yardage.

Top 5 Defense and Top 5 Offense this year!

LymonHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1k13vttv said:
LymonHawk":1k13vttv said:

You're confusing correlation and causation. Virtually every game Wilson threw a lot in, we were throwing because we were in trouble. If anything, it's evidence that we should work on making him more comfortable with tossin' the pigskin more. :)

Figures are figures, Slim. If you are a successful hold'm player you already know that. (Of course if you're a loser, you may not.)

Correlation schmoralation!

nanomoz

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2avzfme5 said:
"Malcolm Smith, you and the Seahawks have just won the Superbowl! What are you gonna do next?"

"I don't know. I don't know, but probably we should revamp our offensive identity and get away from the you know - you know the formula that got us here. Possibly throw the ball fifty times a game because that's just neat."

/thread.

As has been posted, great defenses benefit from shortening games. Passing lengthens games. This team is built from the ground game up. If you don't like it, go revell in Dan Marino's stat sheet, I'll enjoy the Lombardi trophies.

Threedee

Reaction score
The passing situation is going to naturally pick up, with Harvin and Richardson speeding down the field, forcing defenders to cover them. In the process, not only will the run game get an upgrade, but Russell will be free to target either the deep threats, or the short range receivers who will have man coverage at best, and may find themselves uncovered sometimes due to overwhelmed coverage packages trying to keep up with all of our options.

sc85sis

Reaction score
DavidSeven":s6w5tmkn said:
Pete has justified his system and offensive identity ad nauseum. Wilson will never be allowed to throw that much every game. Not because he can't, but because that goes against the system that Pete believes in.

I imagine this is going to be a debate every single off-season. And every season Pete is just going to keep disappointing folks who believe the rush/pass ratios will change or "even out." It's not about trust in Russell's ability. They believed he could do anything and everything after the Chicago game in 2012. It's about the system. It's about turnover margins. It's about toughness. It's about constantly gaining info on rush plays, so you can gash teams later in the game. It's about things that are so much bigger than one guy or what fans are clamoring for.

Also, Pete and Bev just won a 'ship, so you can stuff your "need to"s in a sack.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the ratio of run/pass get closer to a true 50/50 split. Pete took great pride in achieving that kind of balance at USC, and I suspect he'll aim for that as Russell continues to improve and we go to more of a RBBC as Marshawn's career winds down.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2s8eodwy said:
DavidSeven":2s8eodwy said:
Of course, you keep improving, but overhauling your offensive identity after it led to a championship is foolish. That is what OP is talking about here -- increasing passing ATTs to 35 is an overhaul of identity.
To be accurate, I asked your opinion about increasing them to 30 to 35/game.

Last year we averaged 26.25/game.

Raising that to 30 equates to one running play becoming a passing play per quarter... hardly a change in identity.
Exactly.All I see is 50/50 .Wilson throws 39 times and we run 39 times. Most teams run 19-15 more plays then us because they throw 35-40 times.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3mev0gfv said:
DavidSeven":3mev0gfv said:
Of course, you keep improving, but overhauling your offensive identity after it led to a championship is foolish. That is what OP is talking about here -- increasing passing ATTs to 35 is an overhaul of identity.
To be accurate, I asked your opinion about increasing them to 30 to 35/game.

Last year we averaged 26.25/game.

Raising that to 30 equates to one running play becoming a passing play per quarter... hardly a change in identity.
Exactly.All I see is 50/50 .Wilson throws 39 times and we run 39 times. Most teams run 19-15 more plays then us because they throw 35-40 times.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
mrblitz":qoqbofql said:
there were a couple of games last season where russell's halftime stats were unreal, and they dialled it down in the 2nd half. but his first half stats in those games were nearly if not entirely unprecedented.

For the season in the first half he was:

143/225, 1,890yards, 63.6%, 15TD 2INT, 108.6 QB rating

His rookie year he was
135/199 1,744yards 67.8% 12TD 4INT, 106.9 QB rating

jlwaters1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2rtxn6mt said:
MizzouHawkGal":2rtxn6mt said:
Correct. I expect at least a 50/50 pass to run ratio from here on out.
It doesn't even have to be like that. We need to get DangeRuss some experience passing a boatload in some real games because it'll make him more effective at it for times when we HAVE to start passing a lot. Since when can someone become a true expert at something by avoiding it the vast majority of the time? Exactly.

PC wants a 50/50 ratio if possible, as he said in the town hall, if we HAVE to pass it a boatload of times, we will, but they want that balance. Clearly there will be times when the running game isn't doing it and Russell will be asked to take us to victory-- see Chicago, ATL in 2012, BUCS in 2013.

I think what many don't realize is that for a bulk of the season SEA was horrific on 3rd down. At one point I believe we were only converting in the low 20% range. The passing attempts will go up simply by being a better 3rd down team (like the last half of 2012). Say we stay go this season converting 35% -40% on 3rd down, those extra opportunites will equte to more passing attempts.

Lastly, we averaged just over 24 passes in 2012, and over 25 passes in 2013, But think how many times Wilson dropped back to pass and had to bail out and run immediately do to substandard OL play. If the OL improves we'll see him tuck it less and throw it, that combined with improved 3rd down play and I think it's entirely reasonable to think we'll see Wilson throwing it on average 30 times a game.

Crizilla

Reaction score
No they don't. Glad you're not a coach. This is a successful run first team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pound the Rock all fricken day. Knock your opponent in the dirt on Defense all fricken day = SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
sc85sis":fdxvizcw said:
DavidSeven":fdxvizcw said:
Pete has justified his system and offensive identity ad nauseum. Wilson will never be allowed to throw that much every game. Not because he can't, but because that goes against the system that Pete believes in.

I imagine this is going to be a debate every single off-season. And every season Pete is just going to keep disappointing folks who believe the rush/pass ratios will change or "even out." It's not about trust in Russell's ability. They believed he could do anything and everything after the Chicago game in 2012. It's about the system. It's about turnover margins. It's about toughness. It's about constantly gaining info on rush plays, so you can gash teams later in the game. It's about things that are so much bigger than one guy or what fans are clamoring for.

Also, Pete and Bev just won a 'ship, so you can stuff your "need to"s in a sack.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the ratio of run/pass get closer to a true 50/50 split. Pete took great pride in achieving that kind of balance at USC, and I suspect he'll aim for that as Russell continues to improve and we go to more of a RBBC as Marshawn's career winds down.

They're pretty dang close to 50/50 right now and that's with Russell's scrambles off designed drop-backs being counted as rushes. In terms of play calls, they're probably right around where they were at USC.

If the passing ATTs go up, then I think it'll be a result of the offense becoming less reliant on Russell's scrambles and also becoming more efficient in general. Philosophically, I think Pete is right where he wants to be.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I have never undestood the fascination with winning having to look a certain way. Why does it matter??? It doesn't, never has and never will.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The Seahawks are not going to cling to a certain type of offense because they won the SB. They're going to get the best out of what is available, and as Lynch ages this will be the Russell Wilson passing attack. He's always had the capability, and now he has the weapons, with Harvin and the two rook recs, who might well end up starting their rook years.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Just add in Tjack's attempts and RW is already increasing his attempts by 13. Huge increase.

I think it would be nice to see him shoulder a little bit more of the load, maybe up his attempts to 450. Mostly though, I just want to see his stats go up so people stop whining about him being a game manager.

Projecting 2013 stats to 450 attempts gives us

284/450, 3711 yds, 29 TD, 10 INT

kobebryant

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2wfawkp0 said:
Pound the Rock all fricken day. Knock your opponent in the dirt on Defense all fricken day = SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS.

Exactly. Man's game.

TXHawk

Reaction score
I think we'll see a more dynamic offense next season even if we don't pass the ball much more than we did in 2013. They haven't been acquiring all that speed in the WR corps for looks. Harvin can stretch the field horizontally while PRich can stretch it vertically, punishing teams who try to load the box to stop the run. The Hawks can still be a run first team while becoming more creative on offense, and hopefully they will.