Pete and Bevell need to open up the passing game more

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
:cool:
RolandDeschain":1ht18746 said:
DavidSeven":1ht18746 said:
Also, Pete and Bev just won a 'ship, so you can stuff your "need to"s in a sack.
If winning a championship meant everything you do is perfect, there'd only ever be one team to have won the Super Bowl since they'd have that perfection year after year after year.

I get tired of people using the "they won the Super Bowl, so nothing should be touched" excuse/reason/philosophy/whatever. That's not to say there shouldn't be a bit of "don't fix what ain't broke", but a lot of people are taking that to extremes, IMO.
Bevell is your shepard. You shall not want.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kobebryant":1o0ht2m7 said:
SoulfishHawk":1o0ht2m7 said:
Pound the Rock all fricken day. Knock your opponent in the dirt on Defense all fricken day = SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS.

Exactly. Man's game.
'Circle of toughness' upside their haids fer real!

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I don't want or expect the philosophy to change but if it did RW would shine. I have been around for Zorn through RW and nobody throws the ball better than RW. There may have been QBs that have thrown further like Moon but none have the power or accuracy of RW out of the pocket. Look I am a huge fan of Zorn, Krieg, Hass and Moon but with the exception of maybe Zorn, when the pocket collapses or a planned roll out occurs WR is the guy I want there. How does Manning handle a roll out. He doesn't. By far RW's passing abilities gives his coordinator more flexibility in game planning.

Yeah Denver had great numbers last year but how did their offense fair when it came up against a real defense?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Here's a thought: we don't have to change anything at all to add to the number of Wilson's passing attempts. In fact, I'm sure everyone involved in the Seahawks wants him to have more passing attempts, and without changing a damned thing.

We were 76 for 204 on third downs last year. That's not even 50%. Increase that even a few to 50%, and you're looking at another 78 plays, not counting 4th downs. Keeping the same pass-to-run ratio we had, that's 30-35 more passing attempts.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I can't wait for the season to start to hear how the Seahawks can't win a Super Bowl running "that kind of offense", just like last year.

I stopped trying to make sense out of what the organization does after the Lynch trade (which I thought was weird and not good use of a draft pick). They seem to be doing alright; I hope their way of doing things continues to make them competitive.

warden

Reaction score
I am sure glad we have such knowledgeable fans telling our coaches what they need to do. If only our coaching staff were as smart as the fans, we might actually do something like win a Superbowl

Mick063

Reaction score
I read the Broncos board and that is a fan base in complete denial.

They absolutely believe that Seattle has a mediocre offense after witnessing the Super Bowl display where Wilson marched the ball up and down the field at will. Something Tom Brady couldn't do two weeks prior. Wilson effectively ended Champ Bailey's Bronco career.

They absolutely believe that Seattle's personnel losses and the Bronco offseason gains have made them the best team in football for 2014.

They absolutely believe that the Super Bowl was a fluke and if the game was played ten times again, the score would be very close, if not outright wins for them.

They absolutely believe that injuries on defense are why they lost.

The truth is that Seattle is built perfectly to defeat Denver. Seattle has occasional trouble with "smash mouth" teams, not finesse teams. If they played ten times, the "fluke" would be if Denver eeked out a win.

Wilson was the best quarterback in the Super Bowl. It wasn't even close.

And another thing...........Robert Quinn is twice the edge rusher that Vonn Miller is. Seattle would have dealt with him.

The Radish

Reaction score
Actually I think Baldwin ended Bailey's career, showed him up for the end.

Not to be a jerk here but did some posters miss the fact the Seahawks won the SuperB owl?

So why would they change?

:141847_bnono:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Escamillo":350o0iyk said:
onanygivensunday":350o0iyk said:
Hawknballs":350o0iyk said:
so he should be allowed to throw the ball more so you can win a debate with other team's fans?
You're a funny guy... not.

Last year, we were the #1 scoring defense... and tied for #8 in scoring.

I want us to be #1 in both.

Wilson being allowed to throw the ball more often will improve our scoring numbers... thereby improving out chance to win each game.

Simple enough for you?

I haven't looked up any stats, but I wonder if the Seahawks games have fewer possessions for each team than the average NFL game does, precisely because Seattle is a run-first offense. That would mean that drives consume more minutes, which means fewer possessions for both teams. That also means our D has to defend fewer possessions too, which would contribute to giving up fewer points and yards.

In which case, you don't know what the consequences would be of going to a pass-first offense. Could lead to more points for both teams, maybe our D getting more tired than they do today. Maybe we'd have more shootouts. Shootouts, by their very nature, are a crapshoot.

I follow Pac-12 football. The last two years, Stanford won the conference title by shutting down Oregon's Star Wars offense by using run-first offense and lights out defense, as the Seahawks do. History has shown that that is a winning formula. I don't care that "It's now a passing league", the champion teams still tend to be strong D and running teams.
Oh no, no, no, we need to screw with it until the pass happy people around here are satisfied
Yes, we won a Super Bowl, but Pete was just making a bunch of lucky guesses last Year.
He needs to follow the pass happy herd LOL.

plyka

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3puwf2tw said:
Well, I've been over at the Donkey's chat forums jousting with their fanbase about where Russell should be ranked on the Top Ten current QB list... and in particular, one poster alleges that Russell's passing stats benefit from being on a run-first team because if he weren't and had to throw the ball more often, his passing efficiency would suffer... like his completion %, his ratio of TDs to INTs,, his passing rating and his yards/attempt... I cried BS yet he persisted in his claims so I did some research. My response back to him follows... but I'll quickly insert... Russel should be allowed to throw the ball more often.

Originally Posted by fallforward3y: Look, Wilson is a good and good efficient QB, but acting as if it's just as easy to maintain efficiency if your throwing 40 passes a game as with 25 is simply ridiculous.

My response: Well, Wilson has never thrown 40 times in a game... at least, not yet.

The closest he has come is 37 times in a week 13 game in his rookie year (2012) against Chicago... a 23-17 win in OT. Wilson was 23 for 37 for 293 yards, 62.2% completion %, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, and with a passer rating of 104.9. His 2 TDs sent the game into OT and then won the game in OT without the Bears ever getting the ball. The 2 drives were 80+ yards each.

Next closest was 36 times in a heart-breaking 28-30 divisional playoff loss to Atlanta also in 2012. He was 24 for 36 for 385 yards, 66.7%, 2 TDs, 1 INT and with a passer rating of 109.1.

Next was a 24-28 loss also in 2012 in Detroit. In that game he was 25 for 35 for 236 yards, 71.4%, 2 TDs, 1 INT and with a passer rating of 96.8.

In addition to the above 3, Wilson has had 5 more games wherein he passed 30 or more times.

His record in the eight games is 4-4, his completion % is 65.6%, his TD/INT ratio is 13/4, his passer rating is 100.7 and he averaged 270.5 yards/game.

In 2013, that yards/game average would place him in 8th place right behind Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers.

You see, Wilson has shown he can maintain his efficiency at least out to 37 passing attempts per game... and if Carroll ever changes his run-first philosophy, Wilson will be among the elite passers in the game today... fantasy football stats-wise.

What is your opinion... should Russell be allowed to throw the ball somewhere between 30 and 35 times/game?...

I think the Denver guy is correct in his point, however narrow It may be. If you increase your attempts you're unlikely to keep the same efficiency. That's was his point and it's correct. The same applies in basketball. Having a 50% fg percentage is one thing, keeping it that level while shooting twice as many shots is nearly impossible. That's why lebron is so good, he is highly efficient while being a high usage player.

None of this means much. It doesn't mean that Wilson isn't awesome. I'm just agreeing with him on his narrow point.

Also picking out a handful of games never proves anything.

warden

Reaction score
The Radish":28kzbrzn said:

Bailey's career has not ended, he is now with the New Orleans Saints

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The Radish":vcz7jjy8 said:

Not to be a jerk here but did some posters miss the fact the Seahawks won the SuperB owl?

So why would they change?

Not change but evolve. Yes we are going to pass more because that means balance like the classic San Francisco teams of the 1990's..juggernauts. Deal with it.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The most important point in your post

"His record in the eight games is 4-4"

Just lke Tony Romo he would have a 50% winning average.

There's a REASON Pete Carroll wants to run the ball so much, because it WINS GAMES.

"Stats are for losers." And 8-8 teams.

OP
OP
onanygivensunday

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
ivotuk":vhcuasiw said:

There's a REASON Pete Carroll wants to run the ball so much, because it WINS GAMES.

FWIW, the losses were principally because the defense couldn't defend a lead... think back to the 2012 playoff loss to Atlanta... the 2012 loss in Detroit, the 2013 loss in Indy and the fourth loss was Russell's rookie debut at Arizona in 2012, wherein he threw 34 times and the Hawks lost 16-20. He had a stinker of a game that day... but it WAS his rookie debut so he gets a pass in my book.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Here's how I look at it:

Who do we have on our roster different than last season?

Percy Harvin
Paul Richardson
a healthy TE rotation
Christine Michael

I know what Pete's mantra is- it's a BALL-CONTROL offense...move the chains, keep the clock running. With the vastly different personnel on offense this year, I would be surprised if we DIDN'T pas the ball a few more times. I'm talking about low risk, short passes to Harvin and Michael...and a couple extra shots down field to McCoy/Willson/ and Richardson. I could easily see us averaging 30 passes per game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Plus, Ron Fairley already told us the obvious: You score more than the other team......you're gonna' win the game.

In his best Ross Perot voice of course.

ivotuk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2nyj0lxz said:
ivotuk":2nyj0lxz said:

FWIW, the losses were principally because the defense couldn't defend a lead... think back to the 2012 playoff loss to Atlanta... the 2012 loss in Detroit, the 2013 loss in Indy and the fourth loss was Russell's rookie debut at Arizona in 2012, wherein he threw 34 times and the Hawks lost 16-20. He had a stinker of a game that day... but it WAS his rookie debut so he gets a pass in my book.

True, but I still believe that most of the games we have won is because our running game has beat the living hell out of opposing defenses which allows Russell to light them up because they are so worried about the running game.

I firmly believe that Russell Wilson could succeed if they asked him to throw it 30 plus times a game (and not just when we're behind). But I don't know that the team would succeed.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1vjraubh said:
The benefit of relying on the running game is that opponents have to game plan to shut it down.. you establish the run early in the game.

If they continually commit to shutting it down, then you can still win with the pass... which is what the Seahawks have done several times over the last few years.

But if you rely on a passing game and your opponents are ready for it, and it is shut down... you can't decide "Ok, we'll have to run." Because running takes longer to establish and the game clock works against you. So you are stuck playing into the strength of your opponent's preparation for the game.

The Super Bowl was a prime example of that. We prepped for Denver's pass attack and shut it down... so they were stuck getting deep in the hole.

They prepped for our running attack and shut it down, but they could not stop our passing attack..
THIS ^ all day.
If you want to beat the Seahawks, you have to beat them at their own game :thfight7:
Everybody that is touting the prolific passing teams, have to realize that those teams are going to have to reset, and retool.
The Patriots caught on , I mean Tom Brady is a pretty damned good passer, right?, and the fact that they revamped their Corners, tells you that they know that you can't rely on just having a prolific passing game, and I believe Pete has proven his point, and that is, you have to be multi-faceted, and you have to build Back to Front, from the Defense, out.
The Seahawks running game is their Offensive Foundation, the fact that they went after Marshawn Lynch early on proves that.
I expect that once they get the Offensive Line playing better, they will start throwing more, because they will want to widen their Offensive play, but their running game will still set the pace.