Pete and Bevell need to open up the passing game more

OP
OP
onanygivensunday

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
DavidSeven":dt8ohc0s said:
Of course, you keep improving, but overhauling your offensive identity after it led to a championship is foolish. That is what OP is talking about here -- increasing passing ATTs to 35 is an overhaul of identity.
To be accurate, I asked your opinion about increasing them to 30 to 35/game.

Last year we averaged 26.25/game.

Raising that to 30 equates to one running play becoming a passing play per quarter... hardly a change in identity.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1fogvzxp said:
Hawknballs":1fogvzxp said:
so he should be allowed to throw the ball more so you can win a debate with other team's fans?
You're a funny guy... not.

Last year, we were the #1 scoring defense... and tied for #8 in scoring.

I want us to be #1 in both.

Wilson being allowed to throw the ball more often will improve our scoring numbers... thereby improving out chance to win each game.

Simple enough for you?

the problem here is that if you have the #1 scoring defense, you're likely a top defense period.

If you're a top defense and you have a good offense, you likely aren't going to be putting up 'sick' numbers offensively or on the scoreboard because you're likely playing with a lead and running the ball a lot.

There is a reason we run the ball as much as we do already. When you have the best D in the league you want to shorten the game, not prolong it.

A team built like Seattle wants there to be as few plays as possible run throughout the game.

Simple enough for you?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":uya0e9as said:
Raising that to 30 equates to one running play becoming a passing play per quarter... hardly a change in identity.

It's a change in identity if you're making it a point to change your identity by throwing more. That's pretty much the definition of changing your identity.

Now personally I agree that I'd like to see them throw more to be honest, only because it's more exciting. But it's probably not strategically the smartest move to make unless we're convinced beast mode is no longer beast mode. To me that's the only reason to begin changing the offensive identity of the team.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
While I understand the OP's objective, and there are merits to what he say, there are some good reasons to not expect Seattle to change their run pass ratio targets. Should there be a number of games we find ourselves trailing in, yeah, those targets will have to be adjusted. But the target is to run. Now, one thing I do expect is more versatility, with all the offensive speed at WR, But I still expect it to be something we default to when a D is clearly trying to stop the run primarily.

Number one, our offensive line is primarily constructed of road graders who are only adequate as pass blockers. More passing = more qb hits. Pure and simple.
Our offense, like it or not, is built off run play action. More than any other O in the league. The very nature of the offense depends on defenses having to guess run.

I understand that the OP would like some increased stats to show fans that his guy is really good. I think he may have to make do with trophies.

OP
OP
onanygivensunday

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hawknballs":djcj786a said:
onanygivensunday":djcj786a said:

It's a change in identity if you're making it a point to change your identity by throwing more. That's pretty much the definition of changing your identity.

Now personally I agree that I'd like to see them throw more to be honest, only because it's more exciting. But it's probably not strategically the smartest move to make unless we're convinced beast mode is no longer beast mode. To me that's the only reason to begin changing the offensive identity of the team.
I believe that it will happen naturally starting this year assuming Harvin stays healthy.

I anticipate Bevell getting Percy plenty of opportunities on (typically high completion %) WR bubble screens. More touches for Percy means more yards gained means more points. I can easily see our run/pass ratio getting closer to 1:1.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3w09adse said:
He'll continue at a high level, no matter how many passes he throws. Every down is it's own opportunity and he'll seize it. In fact, I'd argue that his lower # of passes per game even more dramatically illustrates his efficiency; he's never allowed to really get into the rhythm of guys throwing it 40-45 times/game.

Remember the Dolphins loss where he had something like 16 straight completions? We'll see more of that kind of thing now that we have the speed weapons to counter the blitz. If the line gives him more than 1.78 seconds to throw? 70% completions, not matter how many times he drops back per game.

Bring it on!

My thoughts exactly. I have no idea what case someone could present that would suggest the more RW throws, the worse he would get. Fatigue? He's a kid with a cannon. If fatigue is a determining factor in such things, by comparison, Manning would be done by half time.

Exittium

Reaction score
Since we've had wilson.. these threads. "shrug" It was only a matter of time before another one would surface :)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DavidSeven":wh93u0ce said:
Weird logic. He passes all the time in practice. How is high volume passing in real games going to change how he approaches each throw?

My logic is weird? The league is riddled with failed players that were practice/training camp heroes.

Being good in practice is one thing...Doing it when it matters is something else.

mrblitz

Reaction score
there were a couple of games last season where russell's halftime stats were unreal, and they dialled it down in the 2nd half. but his first half stats in those games were nearly if not entirely unprecedented.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Knowing Pete and the Seahawks, I think there's a greater chance that we run the ball more than last year. We'll get Harvin and C-Mike involved, and our o-line will be better. I'm looking forward to an even more efficient ground-and-pound.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Cartire":nvrl9807 said:
How about we wait to fix it when it breaks.
The absolute worst thing a team could possibly do...and the exact opposite approach the Hawks take, thankfully

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Situational football is the name of the game. We don't need the play calling to go Riverboat Ron or Peyton Manning. We'll stick to our identity and play situationally appropriate football. That being said, I think we'll pass a little more this year but I think that uptick will come from bubble screams and slants, short high percentage throws to get the balls into the hands of our playmakers. If you got it, flaunt it. I expect we'll be flaunting Harvin, PRich and the gang as much as possible. Even DickSherm said that the offense has been throwing in new wrinkles to make practice more of a chess match. Less predictable with a heavy dose of BM and CMike is music to my ears.

Is it September yet?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Hawknballs":ky78jkeu said:
so he should be allowed to throw the ball more so you can win a debate with other team's fans?

I would just tell them to kiss the ring. :thirishdrinkers:

Jville

Reaction score
What is your opinion... should Russell be allowed to throw the ball somewhere between 30 and 35 times/game?...

If your talking Madden football, who cares. Do what you like.

But if your talking Seahawk football, I fear your fondness for statistical products is blinding and deafening you from comprehending the repeated message.

Which is ....... "its about the football"

warden

Reaction score
I am looking forward to some more smash mouth football. Feed the Beast

sutz

Reaction score
Sounds a bit like a fantasy football solution. :229031_shrug:

Now that our WR corps is healthier, maybe we will pass a bit more. Part of our problem has been limitations in that crew. But I don't expect a huge change, unless we have to in individual games. Doing well in stats categories and rankings help with bragging rights, but historically, being #1 on D or O has been no guarantee of winning a Lombardy.

The old saying goes, there are three things that can happen when you throw a pass, and two of them are bad. ;)

Wilson's fine. He couldn't care less about stats and stuff IMHO. He's a true winner and team player. I would not expect a change in the basic philosophy of the offense. What I do expect to see is more deep balls, utilizing our speed on the outside. Why not? Wilson throws a great deep ball and we have several players that can get behind defenses.

byau

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1f7um8ry said:
What is your opinion... should Russell be allowed to throw the ball somewhere between 30 and 35 times/game?...

My opinion is he should do whatever it takes to win the game, because that would be the stat I care most about.

The other stats can be important, I understand, depending on what your criteria is when it comes to liking players.

For me, two stats I like:

Super Bowl 48: Seahawks points: 43, Broncos points: 8
Super Bowl 48: Seahawks # Wins: 1, Broncos # Wins: 0

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I think they don't need to do anything but take what the defenses give them. This is chess, not checkers. You don't simply just change something and expect results. Russell is fine...he can do more as witnessed when it is asked of him. Who cares what casual football fans say.

Anthony!

Reaction score
PC has already said they want a balanced attack. We were close to last in plays per game at 60.4, the avg was about 64-65. We ran the ball an avg of 32 a game. However those numbers include when Rw had to take off, so it might have been a pass but he had to run. I to would like to see balanced but I would like to see us get to the middle of 64-65 and have it 32 each.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/plays-per-game