"Pete" ball defined -

jeremiah

Reaction score
Fade":2t867296 said:
"Pete" ball defined -

adj-
1. An antiquated offense that ignores the opponent, and personnel of either team.

2. Leaning heavily towards the run, except when it should, then you throw it (short yardage situations).

3. Simple route concepts so the players can play fast. (In reality it just makes them easier to cover.) Mostly vertical routes to try to get big gains, but usually turns into the QB holding the ball and getting killed.

4. Lethargic, and slow breaking the huddle cannot give the QB time to adjust and change the play, also leads to unnecessary usage of timeouts. Sloppy play, heavy on pre-snap penalties. Disorganization is routine.

"Pete" ball is applicable to all these situations. It has nothing to do with specifically just running or passing, but applies to the entire offense regardless of what they are doing on a particular play. This is "Pete" ball.

You're going to be hearing this term a lot over the course of the rest of the season. I'm just helping people out in case they don't understand what the term exactly means.

The offense is the last to come around. It is a work in progress, as the number of practices are severely restricted by union rules. By week 9 or 10, they will be going gangbusters.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Really, the only quote you need to know from Pete is from the fateful last play of Sooperbowl 49, sorry to beat that dead horse, but I think it's appropriate here:

"Why didn't you just run the ball?" (Or give the ball to Marshawn, whatever)

"Well, we had a couple of downs to burn."

Downs to burn. At that point. You know, feel out the opposition. That's his philosophy. Granted, football is a tactical chess match, but feeling comfortable going into half time every game 'only' down by one score because you're trying to feel the other team out (the old 'rope a dope' as mentioned above) can work for only so long. Yep, won a Super Bowl. Not many coaches can say that. Almost won two in a row, except guess what? When you're a one trick pony, people figure that out sooner than later. If you are Pete's age, and had the success he had on a college and pro level, why would you change the formula? Could you even reinvent yourself at this point? You go with what you know and ride off into the sunset.

Theoretically it could work again. It won't. It's not. But you don't slaughter your cash cow...so...now we wait for the old bull to go out to pasture. Thanks for the memories?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Seymour":1wsjdwyc said:
Hawk-Lock":1wsjdwyc said:
You guys do realize Pete doesn’t call the offensive plays?

If you haven't figured out that our OC's are running Pete's offense, then I suggest you look hard at what they have in common. Pete himself said the offense is 75% the same as with Bevell.

That is Pete's playbook, and Pete hires his coordinator's based on their ability to follow orders.

Puppet master

What do you guys want, or what did you guys expect. We have a great QB with below average players around him on offense. Our WR core probably falls in the bottom third of the league. Tyler Lockett has been our #1 WR for the first few games, he is a #3 on most NFL teams. Not to mention Doug isn't healthy. Our offensive line and RB's likely also rank in the bottom third of the league. You just can't expect us to be the Rams without the pieces. We have zero receiving TE's and no great pass catching backs.

Everyone wants to be the Rams, well there is only one Sean McVay. Go on every NFL fan forum and I'd guess about 80% of them aren't happy with the offense. We suck on offense because we just aren't that great at it.

The idea is to get back to the old Seahawks style of pound the ball, lets try it for maybe a season before we want to throw it out. You guys do realize it's only week 5 right? Just give it some time, don't forget how banged up we are. A lot of the NFL comes down to the guys you have on your team.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1929mwb1 said:
Seymour":1929mwb1 said:
Hawk-Lock":1929mwb1 said:
You guys do realize Pete doesn’t call the offensive plays?

If you haven't figured out that our OC's are running Pete's offense, then I suggest you look hard at what they have in common. Pete himself said the offense is 75% the same as with Bevell.

That is Pete's playbook, and Pete hires his coordinator's based on their ability to follow orders.

Puppet master

What do you guys want, or what did you guys expect. We have a great QB with below average players around him on offense. Our WR core probably falls in the bottom third of the league. Tyler Lockett has been our #1 WR for the first few games, he is a #3 on most NFL teams. Not to mention Doug isn't healthy. Our offensive line and RB's likely also rank in the bottom third of the league. You just can't expect us to be the Rams without the pieces. We have zero receiving TE's and no great pass catching backs.

Everyone wants to be the Rams, well there is only one Sean McVay. Go on every NFL fan forum and I'd guess about 80% of them aren't happy with the offense. We suck on offense because we just aren't that great at it.

The idea is to get back to the old Seahawks style of pound the ball, lets try it for maybe a season before we want to throw it out. You guys do realize it's only week 5 right? Just give it some time, don't forget how banged up we are. A lot of the NFL comes down to the guys you have on your team.

A fresh look from a new coaching staff (and FO) that isn't riding on the successes from 4-5 years ago? 'We cracked the code guys! We're going to win forever!'

A touchdown on the opening drive? Is that too much to ask for a $250 single game ticket? Nothing lasts forever. Look at rock bands, or any sports franchise. This season is not a complete bust, but...but. but.

chris98251

Reaction score
You say only one McVay, well we had a Coryell, a Luckman, Walsh that all innovated and opened up a game changing offense, someone else will as well. The rule changes will mean adapting changes to defense and offense to take advantage of allowable things that get created.

adeltaY

Reaction score
We have meh players on offense but do you see a concerted effort get them into space and scheme them open? I don't. Where did all the rub routes go? Even Bev knew to use those frequently.

Also, RW is the highest rated passer on play action this year and yet

[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1046867597491429377[/tweet]

adeltaY

Reaction score
The circle is complete. :mrgreen:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DannyBKelly/status/1046839764601561088[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
adeltaY":23y13jdb said:

Somewhere Souixhawk is changing his onesies from a 7 to a 3.

ducks41468

Reaction score
adeltaY":16fu0692 said:

"No Russy, you're not allowed to sit at the adult table with the rest of the real QB's. Back to the kiddie table with the rest of the game managers and washouts."

-Pete

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If you ever wanted evidence that says there is no way Wilson stays here, what Pete is doing to his numbers has to be example #1.

If I am Wilson's agent, I am going FA at the earliest opportunity and letting the team know I will sit until Game 9 if you try to tag me.

I get Wilson is not perfect. I never expected him to be Elite.

But we are doing a terrible job helping him. And I bet another coach would find a way to make him much more effective than he has been.

ducks41468

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":r783utjt said:
If you ever wanted evidence that says there is no way Wilson stays here, what Pete is doing to his numbers has to be example #1.

If I am Wilson's agent, I am going FA at the earliest opportunity and letting the team know I will sit until Game 9 if you try to tag me.

I get Wilson is not perfect. I never expected him to be Elite.

But we are doing a terrible job helping him. And I bet another coach would find a way to make him much more effective than he has been.

And it's clearly not even helping the team win (since you're bound to get the counterargument that making Russ a game manager is better for the team). We barely scraped by the worst team in the league by 3 points. Even with a 100-yard rusher this model is unsustainable.

adeltaY

Reaction score
chris98251":3vya8195 said:
adeltaY":3vya8195 said:

Somewhere Souixhawk is changing his onesies from a 7 to a 3.

Hahaha that one got me good Chris. :2thumbs:

IdahoVandalHawk

Reaction score
It's damn tragedy what Schotty has done to Russ and this offense. Russ is arguably one of 5 or 6 QB's in the league with a legit shot at the hall of fame and Schotty has neutered him into a game manager. A friend of mine calls Russ "Russvaris Jackson." At least Tarvaris had Beastmode and a young LOB. What's scarier is that this a functional offense with Bevell and Solari. That's right - I said it - Bevell was better (Cable was the real problem). It's hard to keep food down when watching this offense and there's no sign it will improve. I will forever be grateful to Pete for brining the Hawk's to the promise land, but he hired Schotty and it's time for him to go. The league is changing and he refuses to adapt. Pete ball sucks.

Jville

Reaction score
The same crowd that hates Pete Carroll football does so for reasons similar to that of a previous crowd that hated Chuck Knox football. It's the product of a preference in style or formula combined with an absolute intolerance for anything outside of that preference.

With the Phillip Rivers show coming to town, it's reasonable to anticipate that same crowd cheering for Phillip Rivers while heaping condemnation on Pete Carroll style football. All one can do is follow the team's lead and ignore the noise.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
IdahoVandalHawk":2bdqtbp9 said:
It's damn tragedy what Schotty has done to Russ and this offense. Russ is arguably one of 5 or 6 QB's in the league with a legit shot at the hall of fame and Schotty has neutered him into a game manager. A friend of mine calls Russ "Russvaris Jackson." At least Tarvaris had Beastmode and a young LOB. What's scarier is that this a functional offense with Bevell and Solari. That's right - I said it - Bevell was better (Cable was the real problem). It's hard to keep food down when watching this offense and there's no sign it will improve. I will forever be grateful to Pete for brining the Hawk's to the promise land, but he hired Schotty and it's time for him to go. The league is changing and he refuses to adapt. Pete ball sucks.

Don’t be dumb.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article221011815.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I stand by my original post in this thread.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3311rhdm said:
I stand by my original post in this thread.

As do I even though it came from a negative place. Today I’d certainly put a more positive spin on Pete Ball. Maybe next week I’ll be slightly down on it.

It is funny that Pete Ball in its most well executed form is a treat to watch. Tough running, big passing plays, hard hitting defense. It’s just sometimes that balance is hard to find. Hopefully we’ve found it this year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Give Pete credit.

He made changes.

Over the course of his career this is something he has been reluctant to do.

Look how long he took to sh-can Cable and Bevell. Look at his history with assistants at USC.

But while I won't pee on the parade, a lot of these posts are basically rehashing the old posts and trying to shove it in the face of people like me that were upset with Pete's recent production. Clearly Pete even had an issue with it, since he changed. But you might want to pump the brakes a bit until the team actually accomplishes something beyond beating teams that won't be in the playoffs anyway.

So far, we have shown we can beat the sisters of the poor and the barely .500s of the world.

Let's wait until we can beat San Diego at home before we even start looking at making Wild Card games.

The backend of this schedule has some good teams in it. If they can come out of it with a solid record? Then that is a success. But they haven't really done anything yet but beat teams at or below .500.

Latest posts