"Pete" ball defined -

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I’m glad somebody brought this post back up . I don’t post on here often anymore but I’m still a frequent visitor . I recall a few weeks ago reading many of you guys just completely giving up on Pete and Johns Seattle Seahawks and it made me sick . One thing Pete has done since he got here is find a way to have his team compete on Sundays .

I think Pete can be a better game manager as far as time outs and such but as a coach and a leader of men we are very damn lucky .

Pete Carroll for Coach of the year and John Schneider for GM of the year if we make the playoffs . 100%

Go Hawks !

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3vobtz3f said:
Give Pete credit.

He made changes.

Over the course of his career this is something he has been reluctant to do.

Look how long he took to sh-can Cable and Bevell. Look at his history with assistants at USC.

But while I won't pee on the parade, a lot of these posts are basically rehashing the old posts and trying to shove it in the face of people like me that were upset with Pete's recent production. Clearly Pete even had an issue with it, since he changed. But you might want to pump the brakes a bit until the team actually accomplishes something beyond beating teams that won't be in the playoffs anyway.

So far, we have shown we can beat the sisters of the poor and the barely .500s of the world.

Let's wait until we can beat San Diego at home before we even start looking at making Wild Card games.

The backend of this schedule has some good teams in it. If they can come out of it with a solid record? Then that is a success. But they haven't really done anything yet but beat teams at or below .500.

Maybe you should've "pumped the brakes" a bit after just 2-3 games with a new coordinator and no baldwin.

Too many jumped to damning conclusions. Thats different than criticism. The thread, the forum, is full of repetitive posts from basically the same 10-15 people drawing an end to the coach, qb, etc. after each loss.

No room for growth, development, progression or even some regression from the team

Even in getting credit its with a disclosure

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
adeltaY":34a7x6j9 said:
chris98251":34a7x6j9 said:
adeltaY":34a7x6j9 said:
The circle is complete. :mrgreen:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DannyBKelly/status/1046839764601561088[/tweet]

Somewhere Souixhawk is changing his onesies from a 7 to a 3.

Hahaha that one got me good Chris. :2thumbs:

I laughed too. :2thumbs:

:irishdrinkers: :0190l: :0190l: :0190l: :irishdrinkers:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Si,

The issue was time.

It still is.

We have a potentially transcendent QB that we were criminally underusing.

Pete had 3 years with one of the best rosters in football and he not only wasn't making the SB with them, he was literally looking like a laughingstock in any playoff game short of a wildcard game.

This team had to make a decision on whether to bet on the QB or not, and we had only seen him under one coach that was frankly struggling to find ways to make him effective. Was that on Wilson or Pete? I don't know but because Pete was likely gone soon anyway (really doubting we have him for more than 3 years), and because Allen would have demanded excellence in ANY coaching hire - it made sense to review whether this team can take the next step with a different coach.

Patience might have made sense in a lot of other instances, but with the clock ticking and a limited amount of time to evaluate Wilson to see if he could carry a team to make the 30M per year commitment worth it? That we did not and still did not know.

Allen passing changed that. We have to ratchet expectations down. Getting rid of Pete no longer means we have a good chance at an upgrade.

Nobody expects this team to be a contender for the SB so that demand makes no sense now.

Still we haven't seen anything at all to show this can be anything other than a team that beats up on the weak teams. If that is the benchmark, we did that for 3 years while we did nothing past the wildcard.

There really is nothing to crow about at all. But there is much less to complain about....which is the point of posting vents like the ones you referred to. Still, way too early for people to react with the 'in your face' posts because this team hasn't really done that much to warrant it. What I will concede is that at least the games are watchable again.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Most people arent "crowing"

They are excited about the returns they see in their investment as fans after suffering through thread after thread of the demise of their team. They are replying to the "in your face" posts inundating this forum when the team loses. The hawks will lose again. Maybe tomorrow. And i think we could write the posts now for when it happens. The points arent new. They arent evolved. Theyre just in hibernation until a loss.

Alot of people on here are bright enough to see that Wilson and Carrolls years are waning and that perhaps they arent a great match.

But thats not the point at the moment. A highly functional offense, a qb making good decisions, and wins are where the trend is going.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lets look at this, we were struggling the last two years to beat teams we should beat and beat handily, we won but it was always a last ditch heroic, with the rebuild we are seeing us do what we should do to teams, beat them comfortably, at least so far, that is a upward trend by itself. We have a new challenge now, beat teams that are on our tier to gain another level of confidence and success, we may bounce up and down or just step up, but it is a growth were waiting to see as fans. The future is unknown as far as how things will be run going forward, is Jody active or does she hire a delegate to oversee things for her? Or does she sell? We don't know yet, and may not for a few more weeks. The Coaches and Staff I am sure know a lot more then has been released, but typically many times you see a change there also many times the next season if we were bought, if it stays in the Allen Circle I expect pretty much business as usual, Paul allowed Pete's vision to come to fruition, many owners are not as patient as he was.

Were in that build up process again and it won't take as long as the first go around but still takes time.

She is a fan which is a good thing.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
[youtube]cVNqt1IVjVo[/youtube]

Check the 5:35 mark.

Pete Carroll has said in multiple press conferences, and interviews (check Brock n Salk monday morning) he screwed it up. And the fix to the solution was to get out of Schotty's way.

I find it funny people are running in to this thread looking for an "I told ya so" type of moment. When in reality. Pete confirmed the problem himself. Pete finally got sick of looking like a dumpster fire on offense, and finally relinquished power back to the OC.

The team now plays with nuance, and looks like a professional offense, this isn't a coincidence.

The fan reactions were warranted when you look at the last 2 seasons, and then have it continue into this season.

Kudos to Pete for loosening the reigns on the OC, and letting his coaches do their jobs properly.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Except, the solution was a more complete actualization of Carroll's vision for the offense: more hard nosed running, less (but more efficient) passing.

Not your best work, to be honest.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":5ssi1ava said:
Except, the solution was a more complete actualization of Carroll's vision for the offense: more hard nosed running, less (but more efficient) passing.

With all the nuance of a highschool offense from the 1970s.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":dnxvu45l said:
hawknation2018":dnxvu45l said:

With all the nuance of a highschool offense from the 1970s.

Last five games, they are on pace to match the highest scoring totals of the Russell Wilson Era. Last three games, they are averaging more points than the highest average in Seahawks history.

You jumped to conclusions based on two or three games (plus, Bevell play calling). The direction of the offense is looking very good. They are finally committed to the run game. Red zone scoring has never been better.

Not your best work, as I said. Doubling down on it does not make you look better. This will be my last post on this subject, clearly not deserving of my attention (or anyone else's for that matter).

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Run it back.

I point out the offense is struggling because the head coach is meddling with the offense.

The same head coach then comes out and admits the offense is struggling because he was meddling with the offense.

I was right.

You're trying too hard.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Fade":2dji83r7 said:
Run it back.

I point out the offense is struggling because the head coach is meddling with the offense.

The same head coach then comes out and admits the offense is struggling because he was meddling with the offense.

I was right.

You're trying too hard.

Except that's not at all what this thread was about. One could point to the fact that in the original op, you slammed Pete for running the ball too much, when in reality he passed too heavily in games for an 0-2 start, then went to the run and turned the franchise around. But hey, I suppose those goal posts can go somewhere else.

Fade":2dji83r7 said:
"Pete" ball defined -

adj-
1. An antiquated offense that ignores the opponent, and personnel of either team.

2. Leaning heavily towards the run, except when it should, then you throw it (short yardage situations).

3. Simple route concepts so the players can play fast. (In reality it just makes them easier to cover.) Mostly vertical routes to try to get big gains, but usually turns into the QB holding the ball and getting killed.

4. Lethargic, and slow breaking the huddle cannot give the QB time to adjust and change the play, also leads to unnecessary usage of timeouts. Sloppy play, heavy on pre-snap penalties. Disorganization is routine.

"Pete" ball is applicable to all these situations. It has nothing to do with specifically just running or passing, but applies to the entire offense regardless of what they are doing on a particular play. This is "Pete" ball.

You're going to be hearing this term a lot over the course of the rest of the season. I'm just helping people out in case they don't understand what the term exactly means.

Pete Ball!

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1glay0eh said:
Fade":1glay0eh said:
Run it back.

I was right.

You're trying too hard.

Except that's not at all what this thread was about. One could point to the fact that in the original op, you slammed Pete for running the ball too much, when in reality he passed too heavily in games for an 0-2 start, then went to the run and turned the franchise around. But hey, I suppose those goal posts can go somewhere else.

Fade":1glay0eh said:
"Pete" ball defined -

adj-
1. An antiquated offense that ignores the opponent, and personnel of either team.

2. Leaning heavily towards the run, except when it should, then you throw it (short yardage situations).

3. Simple route concepts so the players can play fast. (In reality it just makes them easier to cover.) Mostly vertical routes to try to get big gains, but usually turns into the QB holding the ball and getting killed.

4. Lethargic, and slow breaking the huddle cannot give the QB time to adjust and change the play, also leads to unnecessary usage of timeouts. Sloppy play, heavy on pre-snap penalties. Disorganization is routine.

"Pete" ball is applicable to all these situations. It has nothing to do with specifically just running or passing, but applies to the entire offense regardless of what they are doing on a particular play. This is "Pete" ball.

You're going to be hearing this term a lot over the course of the rest of the season. I'm just helping people out in case they don't understand what the term exactly means.

Pete Ball!

If you simply ignore points 1,3-4. And pretend they didn't change their running game, you would have a point. They have now installed far more into the running game. They are multiple now. They weren't before. Thanks to Schotty & Solari.

Jville

Reaction score
Good Grief!

There must be those in our community suffering from a serious deficiency in their year to year memory.

#1 They turn over the roster ....... every year.

#2 They start off simple and experiment with what each player can and can't do ........ every year.

#3 They zero in on what works and doesn't work and build team chemistry ......... every year.

#4 They build speed and execution with each succeeding week ...... every year.

#5 It is the same process ....... every single year.

cheese22

Reaction score
PC's offensive ideology is to do the minimum to win. When they have opened it up and not been vanilla, they make it look pretty easy. Misdirection, play action, throw in a trickery and they can move the ball and score points.
I can only imagine this team with a dynamic play caller and what they could accomplish...very frustrating.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/Seahawks/c...arroll_week_6_post_game_presser_notes_101418/
PETE CARROL WEEK 6 POST GAME PRESSER 10/14/18

"Mike and Brian Schottenheimer had had a lot to do with that. WE HAVE ADJUSTED SCHEME-WISE. WE MADE THAT WELL KNOWN THAT WE WERE GOING TO CHANGE SOME THINGS WE WERE DOING. A lot of the old, but THERE'S SOME REALLY GREAT NEW STUFF WE'RE DOING."

"Pete" ball defined indeed. Good thing he pulled the plug, came to his senses, and gave Schotty & Solari more say on the offense.

They aren't just simply running the ball more, only a Lehman would see it that way. They have changed.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
And who hired Schottenheimer and Solari again?

Carroll has always empowered his assistant coaches and coordinators. He did his best to encourage the former regime to remain committed to the run game. Their inability to accomplish that vision became their undoing.

Damn it, I said I was finished with this idiotic topic. Now I’m done.

Or am I? :twisted:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Fade":2oi7ija5 said:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Seahawks/c...arroll_week_6_post_game_presser_notes_101418/
PETE CARROL WEEK 6 POST GAME PRESSER 10/14/18

"Mike and Brian Schottenheimer had had a lot to do with that. WE HAVE ADJUSTED SCHEME-WISE. WE MADE THAT WELL KNOWN THAT WE WERE GOING TO CHANGE SOME THINGS WE WERE DOING. A lot of the old, but THERE'S SOME REALLY GREAT NEW STUFF WE'RE DOING."

"Pete" ball defined indeed. Good thing he pulled the plug, came to his senses, and gave Schotty & Solari more say on the offense.

They aren't just simply running the ball more, only a Lehman would see it that way. They have changed.

Tom Lehman? The golfer?

Most laymen see that the change is more than just "running" and forvthat Pete gets as much credit as anyone else.

Any layman would know that a return to his style of offense from 2012-2013 isnt as simple as "getting out of the way"

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":18lv1n4k said:
"Pete" ball defined -

adj-

Ya know this post is so ridiculous that its not even worthy of a response...Its true that it took a couple of games to dial it in but against a legit opponent in Detroit, Wilson was fantastic... the run game was fantastic the receiving core was fantastic... you must be watching a different game than I...