Pete Carroll is the NFC's best coach.

getnasty

Reaction score
Trrrroy":89e5iyr7 said:
Sgt. Largent":89e5iyr7 said:
If Pete misses the playoffs with this much talent on his roster and a top 5-7QB? Not sure how you can call him the best coach in the NFC this year.

Peterson, McVay, Payton, Rivera and especially Zimmer, who's about to go 13-3 with a 3rd string QB.

Funny how you mention Payton and Rivera, both coaches whom have had multiple down seasons. This board would have fired them already. They actually sort of prove my point. Down years are common with every team not named the Patriots. The Steelers, Panthers, and Saints have all had down years worse than anything Pete has had this far. Now they're All superbowl contenders again.

I approve this message

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not that he would ever actually win coach of the year :roll:
He has results, better than another other coach in the NFC right now.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":11ox24vy said:
Not that he would ever actually win coach of the year :roll:
He has results, better than another other coach in the NFC right now.

that's the dichotomy.

Recognizing the good and the not so good. Can do both. Certainly he has been great. Certainly he needs to do better

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely he needs to do better. Better at controlling the team, better at getting in Bevell's grill and making him call a good game for 4 quarters, not just the 4th quarter.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Can't it be injuries and a downward trend? I think the injuries have greatly accelerated the downward trend this season, though.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3qaw3q9r said:
Lucky when Pete does it..

just better coaching when others do it.

BB went 9 years between Super Bowl wins, including two 10-6 seasons and a 9-7 season.

Patriots should have fired him

Pete's rosters have been much more talented as a whole. I'm betting old Bill would be licking his chops to have roster talent like we do. Guess it doesnt matter, he beat us anyways when it mattered.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, way too soon to assume it's a downward trend. Need to see who all is coming back. 10 win teams do not need a rebuild, but a retool.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2837xfxy said:
Well, way too soon to assume it's a downward trend. Need to see who all is coming back. 10 win teams do not need a rebuild, but a retool.

I'll agree and give Pete the benefit of the doubt and another season to see what changes he implements. I just have zero faith in him that he will be able to turn it around.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2almnayx said:
Uncle Si":2almnayx said:

BB went 9 years between Super Bowl wins, including two 10-6 seasons and a 9-7 season.

Pete's rosters have been much more talented as a whole. I'm betting old Bill would be licking his chops to have roster talent like we do. Guess it doesnt matter, he beat us anyways when it mattered.

Are you kidding?

No Richard Sherman. No Kam Chancellor. No Cliff Avril. No Chris Carson. Injured Wagner and Bennett.

The Patriots 2002 team that went 9-7 was a Super Bowl roster with SIX Pro Bowlers. The 2009 Pats team that went 10-6 also had six pro Bowlers.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1itykvlh said:
Uncle Si":1itykvlh said:

yeah, that 18-1 team was just filled with mediocre talent. all those 12-4 teams too. BB just willed them to win.

im betting old Bill has coached a dozen future hall of famers.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Side note.. my favorite thread in awhile.

I think everyone's right, if that's possible.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not like Pete had a lot to work with. Kind of incredible that this team could be sitting at 10 wins after Sunday. Minus some incredible players. That's a lot to ask of ANY coach in the league. And Pete clearly has been the most successful coach in team history.

inda2o6

Reaction score
I would put Mike Tomlin on the list atleast in the Top 10. Sure his teams stacked with offensive talent, & Ben Rapistberger is close to retiring. That just means more money to pay Bell to stay. Their defense isn't as good but Mike keeps them competitive. I like his coaching style, going for 2 pts after td's alot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
inda2o6":y4b4h9et said:
I would put Mike Tomlin on the list atleast in the Top 10. Sure his teams stacked with offensive talent, & Ben Rapistberger is close to retiring. That just means more money to pay Bell to stay. Their defense isn't as good but Mike keeps them competitive. I like his coaching style, going for 2 pts after td's alot.

NFC.

NJlargent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2vl63jry said:
Not like Pete had a lot to work with. Kind of incredible that this team could be sitting at 10 wins after Sunday. Minus some incredible players. That's a lot to ask of ANY coach in the league. And Pete clearly has been the most successful coach in team history.

Not sure I agree. We have an incredible defense (even injured) and a top 5 QB. We are in a division with 2 free wins against SF and 2 more (should anyway) against the Cards. That means go 6-6 in remaining games and hit 10 wins with that defense and QB. Not exactly HOF material. Of course add Marshawn and you get a boost to 12-13.

We had a down year without question. Let’s see if there’s improvement next year. That’s objective evidence of a good coach. Many coaches can take generational talent to the top or near it. Likewise many can’t overcome injuries. Let’s see where Carroll takes us next year and reevaluate

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
NJlargent":2bp7j21y said:
SoulfishHawk":2bp7j21y said:

Not sure I agree. We have an incredible defense (even injured) and a top 5 QB. We are in a division with 2 free wins against SF and 2 more (should anyway) against the Cards. That means go 6-6 in remaining games and hit 10 wins with that defense and QB. Not exactly HOF material. Of course add Marshawn and you get a boost to 12-13.

We had a down year without question. Let’s see if there’s improvement next year. That’s objective evidence of a good coach. Many coaches can take generational talent to the top or near it. Likewise many can’t overcome injuries. Let’s see where Carroll takes us next year and reevaluate

It's very circular because we have a solid defense (in the face of injuries to Chancellor, Sherman, Avril, etc.) because of Pete Carroll. Players like Byron Maxwell have played much better under our coaching staff than they have anywhere else.

inda2o6

Reaction score
Oh, my fault... i wonder how long the Falcons keep Sark as their offensive coordinator? If he last a few season, i wouldn't rank Dan Quin, ahead of Pete.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2lmatmev said:
NJlargent":2lmatmev said:
SoulfishHawk":2lmatmev said:

It's very circular because we have a solid defense (in the face of injuries to Chancellor, Sherman, Avril, etc.) because of Pete Carroll. Players like Byron Maxwell have played much better under our coaching staff than they have anywhere else.

On the defensive side of the ball. What offensive player has Pete elevated?

No one's criticizing Pete's defensive prowess as a head coach, it's what he's ALWAYS done best. Those of us that are criticizing him aren't happy with what he's done on offense..............from the continued O-Line debacle, to the run game, to under utilizing Graham until now, to relying on his QB to make plays and not having any assemblence of an identity on the offensive side of the the ball.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ug4o7qa said:
hawknation2017":1ug4o7qa said:

On the defensive side of the ball. What offensive player has Pete elevated?

No one's criticizing Pete's defensive prowess as a head coach, it's what he's ALWAYS done best. Those of us that are criticizing him aren't happy with what he's done on offense..............from the continued O-Line debacle, to the run game, to under utilizing Graham until now, to relying on his QB to make plays and not having any assemblence of an identity on the offensive side of the the ball.

Russell Wilson, probably. Certainly Marshawn Lynch had formative years here. Thomas Rawls (as a rookie before the injuries) and Chris Carson (as a rookie before the injuries).

I agree though that Carroll's biggest problem has been that he hasn't had an offensive coordinator who could match his own brilliance on the defensive side of the ball.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm talking out THIS SEASON. He hasn't had nearly as much to work with because of MAJOR injuries that happened early in the season. 10 wins, with THIS team? That's impressive. Yet if another coach did it, people would be going on and on about how great of a job he did.