Pete Feels Like This Offseason is a Rebirth

Sealake80

Reaction score
Wilson will be the leader on offense with Lynch gone. I think he will take a next step this year. He's a hall of famer in the making and his greatest performances are still to come. Can't wait.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sealake80":1lkhaeo5 said:
Wilson will be the leader on offense with Lynch gone. I think he will take a next step this year. He's a hall of famer in the making and his greatest performances are still to come. Can't wait.

Leader yes, emotional sparkplug and person that sets the tone I have reservations, he the essence of self control. Not the fiery guy, not the set the tone with physicality or attitude.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":1rk3dmua said:
Sealake80":1rk3dmua said:

Leader yes, emotional sparkplug and person that sets the tone I have reservations, he the essence of self control. Not the fiery guy, not the set the tone with physicality or attitude.
Not totally convinced Chris. You are correct that he doesn't lead like Marshawn but he leads, but with far more of a cool and precise manner. Like many of the best quarterbacks in history. See the thing is if you do the job correctly you make it easy for the defense to play downhill from the start.

Hence the reason for Collins and Vannett on offense and well you can figure out what the plan is for the defense I assume?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3im50qxr said:
Talk about some GREAT posts all in one thread....a tip of the cap to every single post above this one. This is why I'm here too much. You all got me stoked for the season NOW!
My thoughts too..When Kearly said 14-2 I'm stoked now..GO HAWKS!!!

seabowl

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":23a60b09 said:
We had the most painful loss in the history of the league.

We had a QB making peanuts due for his big payday.

We had two huge players on the defensive side of the ball wanting more money, one of whom was willing to sit out 2 actual games to try and prove a point.

We had an entire secondary recovering from injury and as a result overpaid for a player who just was never a fit on this team.

We had Marshawn Lynch wanting a pay raise to put off retirement for a year.

We overhauled the offensive line with 3 new starters including losing the veteran anchor in the middle.

We had a team that was split in half and fighting with each other until a trip to Hawaii.

We got boned on the schedule to start the season.

And despite all of these things they found a way to finish on a tear, get into the playoffs and without one of the best onside recoveries you'll ever see by Thomas Davis.. may very well have found themselves back in Glendale with a shot at a third straight Super Bowl.

Really if you look back at everything thrown the Seahawks way in 2015.. it's pretty remarkable they won 11 games (10 + 1 playoff game) in itself. Now it feels as though XLIX is but a faint memory, a crappy memory, but kind of like a tough break-up .. the wounds are finally healing even if some things may still eat at you.

If the Seahawks can avoid being the unlucky team with a mountain of injuries.. they're unquestionably one of the 3 best teams in football in 2016. No doubt in my mind.

So yeah, in that sense.. this definitely feels like a rebirth.
Most painful? Wide right by Norwood is top.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
seabowl":yy4fxs7r said:
Hasselbeck":yy4fxs7r said:
We had the most painful loss in the history of the league.

We had a QB making peanuts due for his big payday.

We had two huge players on the defensive side of the ball wanting more money, one of whom was willing to sit out 2 actual games to try and prove a point.

We had an entire secondary recovering from injury and as a result overpaid for a player who just was never a fit on this team.

We had Marshawn Lynch wanting a pay raise to put off retirement for a year.

We overhauled the offensive line with 3 new starters including losing the veteran anchor in the middle.

We had a team that was split in half and fighting with each other until a trip to Hawaii.

We got boned on the schedule to start the season.

And despite all of these things they found a way to finish on a tear, get into the playoffs and without one of the best onside recoveries you'll ever see by Thomas Davis.. may very well have found themselves back in Glendale with a shot at a third straight Super Bowl.

Really if you look back at everything thrown the Seahawks way in 2015.. it's pretty remarkable they won 11 games (10 + 1 playoff game) in itself. Now it feels as though XLIX is but a faint memory, a crappy memory, but kind of like a tough break-up .. the wounds are finally healing even if some things may still eat at you.

If the Seahawks can avoid being the unlucky team with a mountain of injuries.. they're unquestionably one of the 3 best teams in football in 2016. No doubt in my mind.

So yeah, in that sense.. this definitely feels like a rebirth.
Most painful? Wide right by Norwood is top.
Only by anyone east of the Mississippi.

endzorn

Reaction score
To me this is a reflection of Lynch's retirement. To a large degree he has been the identity of this team. If there is ever a question of Lynch's importance to the team I think this settles it...he retires and the team had to refocus their efforts to strengthening the running game and refer to this next phase as a rebirth.

Ozzy

Reaction score
chris98251":3geu205z said:
Sealake80":3geu205z said:

I couldn't disagree more. Watch any of the in game sound bites from Wilson. The guy never gives up and demands his teammates dont either. His leadership style is different from a Lynch but the end result is the same. He's a fighter who never gives up and his teammates know that. My favorite example of this is the sound clips from the Carolina game. It's worth checking out.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I know it's been touched on by one or two other posters, but I really want to stress -- several Seahawks were brutally abused, physically, during the 2014 post-season and in Super Bowl 49. Including some significant injuries. Some required long recovery times, and consequently, I'm pretty sure several played the 2015 season (especially the first half when we weren't our usual dominating selves) quite gingerly. They were still recuperating and healing and were forced to favor non-injured parts of their bodies. Hence my opinion that the "down" year of 2015 was more attributable to physical issues than something mental or psychological.

Which is why I am more excited right now than I have been in a long time. The 2014 playoffs injuries are fully healed, and we got some dogs!

Boycie

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2mi3l1ka said:
Scottemojo":2mi3l1ka said:
MizzouHawkGal":2mi3l1ka said:
Scottemojo":2mi3l1ka said:
I think Pete feels this way because they are going to try some new permutations on defense and offense.

SB hangovers are real.
They are when you lose in the fashion that we did. Also it doesn't help that the league figured out how to combat our defense if you had the talent at a couple key positions.

On the other hand I agree with you that some changes will happen especially offensively. If for nothing else then the fact the focus will be on Russell Wilson far more than ever before.

It has way more to do with a bad line and a Kam holdout. And a really bad signing of a CB from Philly. It took half a year to shake those issues. That was the hangover I refer to.
Well that's the kind of thing that happens to both Superbowl participants especially the loser. It's why they call it a hangover. A million little things happen which causes lack of focus except in rare cases. And exceeding rare in the modern salary cap era.

So if we did as well as we did last year because of our character, what is Carolina going to do this year?

Send in the trolls..... :stirthepot:

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
austinslater25":23twzcro said:
chris98251":23twzcro said:
Sealake80":23twzcro said:

I couldn't disagree more. Watch any of the in game sound bites from Wilson. The guy never gives up and demands his teammates dont either. His leadership style is different from a Lynch but the end result is the same. He's a fighter who never gives up and his teammates know that. My favorite example of this is the sound clips from the Carolina game. It's worth checking out.

Exactly austin...I was going to post the same thing...The sound bites are proof of his leadership.

morgulon1

Reaction score
kearly":1i9mue6c said:
Everyone is comparing 2016 to 2013, but to me, this upcoming season is a bit more like 2012. It has a "new era" kind of feel to it. I get what Pete means when he talks about the team going through a rebirth.

The only thing is that as a team, they're ahead of where they were in 2012, 2013. They've been to the mountain top
and know exactly what it'll take to get back .

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Barthawk":t60rtjl4 said:
2012 we had a rookie at QB, MLB and a secondary cutting their teeth in the NFL. Now all of those players are All-pro (minus the RCB). Apples n oranges. That QB is one of the best in the league and keeps us in every game we play.

Defense still has 9/11 starters from last year.. The only new era feel would be the OL, but that really isn't a new thing around here.

Still, as Kearly said, still feels much like 2012. The way it's different is had that year been played with the players those rookies have developed into, we don't lose that Atlanta game and maybe hoist the trophy a year earlier than we did. That's what I see going into 2016.

kearly":t60rtjl4 said:
Seattle has lost two SBs, and felt big dropoffs the next season after both of them. I definitely subscribe to the idea that morale matters in football.

Incidentally, what with the "Super Bowl Loser's Curse" and all, the Seahawks have not only gone back to the playoffs the years after Super Bowl losses, but won playoff games. Few teams in recent history can claim that.

Tical21

Reaction score
I agree with the feeling. It seemed like last year they were playing under the pressure of living up to the success of 2013 and 2014, trying to hold onto that era.

With Marshawn leaving, among others, it feels like they're ready to start a new era, rather than try to hold continue the previous one.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1khb1g42 said:
I agree with the feeling. It seemed like last year they were playing under the pressure of living up to the success of 2013 and 2014, trying to hold onto that era.

With Marshawn leaving, among others, it feels like they're ready to start a new era, rather than try to hold continue the previous one.

I get this feeling as well. It just feels like the vibe is a hungry team. There is no having to fend off hangover talk or dynasty talk or offseason distractions talk.

It just feels like a much cleaner slate. And it's helped along with the improved influx of talent in 2015 and as it appears in 2016 as opposed to the 2013/14 off seasons.

I also think the way the team set up this season with the developments of the last half of the season (offense emerging, finding a true successor to Lynch and the secondary settling in after really tough injuries to end the 2014/15 season) really imparts a strong sense that this team is poised to reinvigorate a championship run.

I absolutely love the return to the bully mentality. It seemed the last two offseasons we kind of lost our way (shiny new offensive toys). Our identity, our compass seemed befuddled. It felt very much like the embodiment of our physical way (Lynch) was somewhat miscast and frustrated with the way the team was drifting. Feels like we know who we are and are committed to earning that swagger back.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":14gsjnpl said:
Sealake80":14gsjnpl said:

Lynch was a flash fire and here before Wilson came on board, his Beastmode run in the Playoffs against the Saints set the tone, but Wilson has been quietly & methodically putting his brand on the Offense.
Got to remember about Pete's run the ball Mantra, and I believe that Pete felt that that was the best way to assure ball control and maintain possession, but Wilson has proven that he can take the Offense to the next level, and I don't think Pete ever had a Quarterback that he could trust to do that before.
Lynch is no longer in the mix....... Wilson is.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The band is back... and they're ready to... KICK OUT THE JAMS!!!

The hangover is a thing of the past. No distractions... complete focus on the task at hand.

Latest posts