Pete says changes in the offense this week

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Hopefully this means Rawls to the bench and Lacy getting 15+ carries. I love Carson but dude hasn't had 200 carries ever. Would like to see a thunder/lightning Ron Dayne/Tiki Barber approach. Most you kiddies are too young to remember that so don't argue with me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2ffyziww said:
Hopefully this means Rawls to the bench and Lacy getting 15+ carries. I love Carson but dude hasn't had 200 carries ever. Would like to see a thunder/lightning Ron Dayne/Tiki Barber approach. Most you kiddies are too young to remember that so don't argue with me.

Definitely need to manage Carson.

I know we were spoiled with how durable Marshawn was, but that's not the norm now with RB's, especially rookies. I'd like to keep his carries per game around the 20 mark, then throw in Lacy or Rawls.

After Rawl's horrible performance last week? I'd be fine with giving Lacy the backup role this week.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1z16hq3l said:
ImTheScientist":1z16hq3l said:

Definitely need to manage Carson.

I know we were spoiled with how durable Marshawn was, but that's not the norm now with RB's, especially rookies. I'd like to keep his carries per game around the 20 mark, then throw in Lacy or Rawls.

After Rawl's horrible performance last week? I'd be fine with giving Lacy the backup role this week.

I really wish we would get to a 50/50 run pass split, run more I formation... or anything with a FB, and pound the rock. Play calling is so different from what it use to be in 2013 for example. Probably due to Graham and probably due to that turd of an OC Bevell.

Can we run on 3rd and short? Seems we are always shotgun... so irritating

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":27hnhhaf said:
Can we run on 3rd and short? Seems we are always shotgun... so irritating

We do, and if you watched how ineffective the run game was in the first half with two back sets, we're usually more successful in shotgun one back sets with the threat of Russell running keeping the defense honest.

That's another move I'd like to see made, get Reece back. He's a much more polished and complete FB than Madden. I know Pete likes Madden's potential, but I don't see it.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2pxldrh4 said:
I hope this doesn't mean we force feed to Jimmy. We were best when he went out a few years back and Russ was hitting different receivers with 3 steps drops. When he's playing, Russ forgets there are other receivers on the field.

The solution is and always has been, moving Jimmy to a more WR role and spread the offense out. We are wasting his talent and our offense by him playing the traditional TE role. In the redone he is occasionally inside attached to the line or closely unattached and the routes he runs are all congested. Motion him outside so he has a 1v1 with a defender. It's not even him, we don't do this with anyone. Stack one side of the field and leave him or Doug on an island with a defender.

Food for thought and clearly not the end all of our success or failure, but 2016 Graham targets & wins:

8+ Targets in a game: 5-0-1
7+ Targets in a game: 6-1-1
6 or less: 4-4

I just finished watching the All-22 coaches film from Sundays game. He gets killed for his blocking, but I thought he did fine. He's not a Zach Miller, but he isn't the one holding this offense back. Not sure why he is getting called out by our fan base, he was a willing blocker all game from what I saw. The one play where he got knocked down blocking was blown dead. The line didn't hold up when he was going out for routes.

There was three or four - 3rd and longs where he wasn't even on the field. So we have him on the field on 1st and 2nd down and then take him off in obvious passing situations? He made his name for himself in new orleans for moving the chains on 3rd down and in the red zone catching touch downs. We continue to bang our heads against a wall and not use him for the reason we traded for him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Any word on how long Paul Richardson will be out....hopefully he'll be back soon. Broken finger for a WR has to be tough. His hands are his moneymaker.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Smellyman":10nqjdj1 said:
The Patriots only had 3 WRs on the roster against the Saints, so they completely revamped their offense in a week.

After over 2 years the hawks have no clue how to use Jimmy. Or any of their offensive personnel really

Get it together. sheesh

Absolutely no comparison between Pats coaching staff and ours. If Pats had our personnel they would have won 4 Super Bowls since 2013. This is a defense for the ages. Any bit of offense and we would have been unstoppable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1vg19ddz said:
Any word on how long Paul Richardson will be out....hopefully he'll be back soon. Broken finger for a WR has to be tough. His hands are his moneymaker.

He played with the bad finger the entire 2nd half, so I think he can still play.

I haven't read anything that he's out.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ekqdy1ri said:
hawkfan68":ekqdy1ri said:

He played with the bad finger the entire 2nd half, so I think he can still play.

Yeah. Just tape it to the digit next door and pump him full of anti-biotics to fight infection. Couple of Advils and he'll be right as rain.

(Hey, at least I didn't say "rub a little dirt on it" ;) )

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
sutz":339pt104 said:
Sgt. Largent":339pt104 said:
hawkfan68":339pt104 said:

Yeah. Just tape it to the digit next door and pump him full of anti-biotics to fight infection. Couple of Advils and he'll be right as rain.

(Hey, at least I didn't say "rub a little dirt on it" ;) )

Salt works.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawk45":2djckr61 said:
Jimmy struggling early is the best thing that could happen to us IMO. My worst fear is that we re-up him somehow instead of using that money on the OL where it is more sorely needed ....

When people ask where the money for OL is supposed to come from, it is their "easy button" offensive signings like Harvin and Graham. We are doing just fine at the skill positions with home-grown players.

Hate to bear ill news, but just throwing money at the position is a really poor idea this upcoming year.

The list of potential UFAs for 2018 looks absolutely awful. Joeckel is listed as the 2nd best UFA heading into the year. It's incredibly bad at this point.

You can have all the cap room in the world, but if there isn't talent there to spend it on it's just wasted money. There are no impending TJ Lang/Keleche Osemele's in next years' group.

Weston RIchburg is likely to be extended by NY. They are in the same boat we were (even down to the position). Richburg is an OC and like Britt, a fringe pro bowl talent. Don't see the fit there.

One name that intrigues is James Hurst (OG/OT - Ravens). He is a versatile OL but quite honestly he's kind of just like Odhiambo except further along in experience. Inconsistent but young who suffered a gruesome injury heading into the NFL. He is 25 and fits Seattle's age profile in terms of UFAs they pursue.

Also am a fan of Andrew Norwell (OG Carolina). The Panthers just broke out the checkbook for Trai Turner. They tendered Norwell with a 2nd round tender this year. He's a decent OG both in pass pro and run. Young (25). Probably will command 9M+ on the open market. Maybe upwards of 12M considering the demand and supply. I'd consider him an upgrade to Joeckel straight up. Panthers won't have a lot of cap room next year and will be difficult to keep him.

There seem to be just a bunch of Odhiambo/Aboushi level talents out there. Most of those in the 28-31 year range.

Seattle is probably better off trying to get OL via trade. But you'll be trading guys like Graham for guys that are barely upgrades for what we have right now. And probably wouldn't even factor in to the team this year coming in at this late date.

Will and available cap spend won't result in fixing what we have. If Seattle wants to really begin to address the OL, we either need to have some losing seasons, or we need to be willing to part with the likes of Wagner, Sherman, Baldwin to get quality in trade. It'll take dealing a core guy to get quality in return. Graham doesn't really fit that criteria now. His trade value is extremely low.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I saw this in the presser. He was asked if there were going to be changes to the offense this week. He said, "Yes." Then they asked, "Personnel or scheme?" and he again said, "Yes." These guys are afraid of getting their credentials revoked, I'm sure, but even they are getting ever so close to actually asking Pete when he is going to say enough is enough with this shitty offense. The CLEAR follow-up question to that, would have been, "Players or staff?" But we got nothing...

I will say, it bums me out to see Pete so docile at a presser. He freaking knows what the problems are. He's bummed that he's gonna have to make some serious changes or his life, let alone his legacy are going to start taking some huge hits. (Hits was a football reference, bros)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawk45":2xji4ubp said:
Jimmy struggling early is the best thing that could happen to us IMO. My worst fear is that we re-up him somehow instead of using that money on the OL where it is more sorely needed and going with a blocking TE that is a 1000% better fit for this offense.

You guys screamed for a tall target for this offense. Now he's here, maybe isn't being used right yet, but you want to go back to having no tall targets?

Wanting to trade Graham for OL is like wanting to sell your broken car to pay some bills.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Jimmy in the slot and out wide more this game makes sense if you give PRich a week off for the finger. He might even be a drop ball liability with that nasty finger anyway.

Also more Darboh and less McEvoy.

Also possible changes at LT and RG, but doubtful.

Don't screw around with Carson, but the presser was so vague it probably just means a different gameplan and it's just an old man being a smartarse. I know I would...

"Is water wet?"

"Yes."

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":h7l6a0qr said:
hawk45":h7l6a0qr said:
Jimmy struggling early is the best thing that could happen to us IMO. My worst fear is that we re-up him somehow instead of using that money on the OL where it is more sorely needed and going with a blocking TE that is a 1000% better fit for this offense.

You guys screamed for a tall target for this offense. Now he's here, maybe isn't being used right yet, but you want to go back to having no tall targets?

Wanting to trade Graham for OL is like wanting to sell your broken car to pay some bills.

I freely admit thinking that with the way Russ threw 50/50 balls at midgets a taller receiver would give us automatic first downs on 3rd down and an automatic go-to in the red-zone.

Height wasn't the goal, it was the means. The goal isn't being achieved, so it's disingenuous to act as if folks wanting a taller receiver have all their wishes fulfilled.

It's also a stretch to minimize how long he has been here by tossing out the line "maybe he isn't being used right yet."

You're a big proponent that we should be able to replicate the success of end of 2015 if only we'd call the right plays. Graham wasn't a part of that at all so I'd think you'd be happy. Or at least unworried.

KPA

Reaction score
Pete & John went to Home Depot and threw some money on 5 traffic cones to be used a the offensive line. Funny part is those cones provide better run blocking this week thus saving Cable's job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hawk45

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1agcy92g said:
hawk45":1agcy92g said:
Jimmy struggling early is the best thing that could happen to us IMO. My worst fear is that we re-up him somehow instead of using that money on the OL where it is more sorely needed ....

When people ask where the money for OL is supposed to come from, it is their "easy button" offensive signings like Harvin and Graham. We are doing just fine at the skill positions with home-grown players.

Hate to bear ill news, but just throwing money at the position is a really poor idea this upcoming year.

The list of potential UFAs for 2018 looks absolutely awful. Joeckel is listed as the 2nd best UFA heading into the year. It's incredibly bad at this point.

You can have all the cap room in the world, but if there isn't talent there to spend it on it's just wasted money. There are no impending TJ Lang/Keleche Osemele's in next years' group.

Weston RIchburg is likely to be extended by NY. They are in the same boat we were (even down to the position). Richburg is an OC and like Britt, a fringe pro bowl talent. Don't see the fit there.

One name that intrigues is James Hurst (OG/OT - Ravens). He is a versatile OL but quite honestly he's kind of just like Odhiambo except further along in experience. Inconsistent but young who suffered a gruesome injury heading into the NFL. He is 25 and fits Seattle's age profile in terms of UFAs they pursue.

Also am a fan of Andrew Norwell (OG Carolina). The Panthers just broke out the checkbook for Trai Turner. They tendered Norwell with a 2nd round tender this year. He's a decent OG both in pass pro and run. Young (25). Probably will command 9M+ on the open market. Maybe upwards of 12M considering the demand and supply. I'd consider him an upgrade to Joeckel straight up. Panthers won't have a lot of cap room next year and will be difficult to keep him.

There seem to be just a bunch of Odhiambo/Aboushi level talents out there. Most of those in the 28-31 year range.

Seattle is probably better off trying to get OL via trade. But you'll be trading guys like Graham for guys that are barely upgrades for what we have right now. And probably wouldn't even factor in to the team this year coming in at this late date.

Will and available cap spend won't result in fixing what we have. If Seattle wants to really begin to address the OL, we either need to have some losing seasons, or we need to be willing to part with the likes of Wagner, Sherman, Baldwin to get quality in trade. It'll take dealing a core guy to get quality in return. Graham doesn't really fit that criteria now. His trade value is extremely low.

My post said nothing about throwing Jimmy's salary at some marginal prospect next year in FA. If there is truly nothing available that is an upgrade you don't light it on fire. I wasn't a big fan of the Joeckel deal, for example.

Players aren't the only things that can be traded. I'd happily, happily give away a couple high round picks or maybe firsts from 2 years to avoid those picks turning into Germain Ifedi. Is anybody going to say they think it'd kill us to lose a first or two?

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1un4s6gw said:
hawk45":1un4s6gw said:

Yet? How many years does he need to be here before we figure out how to use him? I thought he came over with some pretty comprehensive tape in New Orleans.

Let's stop overthinking this, the evidence is clear: After XLIX, Pete and John went for broke on a red-zone target, but it quickly became clear that Bevell--for whatever reason--was not going to change his offensive vision, so Graham has languished on the team for several years now (probably eliminating him from the HoF, no less).

If Pete's devotion to Bevell is so complete, then he and John need to at least find the right personnel for Bevell's offense, and Graham ain't it. It was a bad trade, let's just cut our losses instead of perpetuating this bullheaded charade.

To put it another way: if Jimmy Graham's name wasn't Jimmy Graham, would he even still be on the team? Has he really produced enough here to earn what he's earning, including the stalwart defense of so many fans? Imagine if you could undo the trade, bring Unger back, and the draft pick, and Graham's money. Would you still pay all of that for Graham's production?

Really?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":2gm1rkv4 said:
MontanaHawk05":2gm1rkv4 said:
hawk45":2gm1rkv4 said:

Yet? How many years does he need to be here before we figure out how to use him? I thought he came over with some pretty comprehensive tape in New Orleans.

Let's stop overthinking this, the evidence is clear: After XLIX, Pete and John went for broke on a red-zone target, but it quickly became clear that Bevell--for whatever reason--was not going to change his offensive vision, so Graham has languished on the team for several years now (probably eliminating him from the HoF, no less).

If Pete's devotion to Bevell is so complete, then he and John need to at least find the right personnel for Bevell's offense, and Graham ain't it. It was a bad trade, let's just cut our losses instead of perpetuating this bullheaded charade.

To put it another way: if Jimmy Graham's name wasn't Jimmy Graham, would he even still be on the team? Has he really produced enough here to earn what he's earning, including the stalwart defense of so many fans? Imagine if you could undo the trade, bring Unger back, and the draft pick, and Graham's money. Would you still pay all of that for Graham's production?

Really?

You still need a car.