Pete says changes in the offense this week

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Hopefully this means Odhiambo to the bench or inactive or PS or even better off the roster entirely. Damn that guy is bad.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I think Jimmy will still contribute heavily to our offense this year. His snap count was down Sunday because he dinged his ankle.
The tight end position still produced. Luke had a couple of nice catches, including the big first down grab where he became a hurdler. Luke also blocked well -- the one that stands out to me was when he did a roll block to give Carson some space to run through for a big first down when we were salting the clock away late in the fourth.

netskier

Reaction score
scrummymustard":28j0hu78 said:
ludakrishna":28j0hu78 said:
I hope this doesn't mean we force feed to Jimmy. We were best when he went out a few years back and Russ was hitting different receivers with 3 steps drops. When he's playing, Russ forgets there are other receivers on the field.

The solution is and always has been, moving Jimmy to a more WR role and spread the offense out. We are wasting his talent and our offense by him playing the traditional TE role. In the redone he is occasionally inside attached to the line or closely unattached and the routes he runs are all congested. Motion him outside so he has a 1v1 with a defender. It's not even him, we don't do this with anyone. Stack one side of the field and leave him or Doug on an island with a defender.

Food for thought and clearly not the end all of our success or failure, but 2016 Graham targets & wins:

8+ Targets in a game: 5-0-1
7+ Targets in a game: 6-1-1
6 or less: 4-4

I just finished watching the All-22 coaches film from Sundays game. He gets killed for his blocking, but I thought he did fine. He's not a Zach Miller, but he isn't the one holding this offense back. Not sure why he is getting called out by our fan base, he was a willing blocker all game from what I saw. The one play where he got knocked down blocking was blown dead. The line didn't hold up when he was going out for routes.

There was three or four - 3rd and longs where he wasn't even on the field. So we have him on the field on 1st and 2nd down and then take him off in obvious passing situations? He made his name for himself in new orleans for moving the chains on 3rd down and in the red zone catching touch downs. We continue to bang our heads against a wall and not use him for the reason we traded for him.

Good post. Sounds as if Jimmy is being set up to fail. Else, why else take him out on passing downs? Organizational politics does this kind of crap. My best guess is that Jimmy said something to Bevell, and Bevell is punishing Jimmy for that, or maybe it was with Wilson. But, let's be clear that together Bevell and Wilson almost completely control the fate of Graham.

Also, check the Hawkblogger, who said the other day, that "Something appears to have soured." http://www.hawkblogger.com/2017/09/morn ... 49ers.html
He predicts we trade Graham before the Oct deadline.

My best guess is that Jimmy gets hurt when they route him short over the middle, so they try not to do that. There is not enough pass protection time to run him deeper, so they don't run him deep while they are training the OL to pass block. So Jimmy gets frustrated, and dogs it, and the coaches and player get down on him, and put him in the dog house.

I agree with the many others here who would like to deploy him wide, to spread the defense, and making it easier for him to protect himself since the hits come from fewer directions. Deploy another tall target wide on the other side to further spread the defense. Wide deployments optimize the sighting lines --- all those guys in the middle block more of the view, particularly if they are close to the passer.

Spreading the defense laterally should provide Wilson with several five yard targets so he can dink the opponent to death while needing only two seconds to get the ball off. I think the biggest risk to the team is getting Wilson hurt because he is not given a quick passing game plan.

Running and deeper passes require better blocking than we have now, so I suggest passing short and quick while we train the OL to block better. Pete's philosophy is predicated on good blocking. This means that his philosophy will not work without good blocking. So do something else until we have better blocking.

netskier

Reaction score
hawkfan68":5k6m5rpc said:
Any word on how long Paul Richardson will be out....hopefully he'll be back soon. Broken finger for a WR has to be tough. His hands are his moneymaker.

I doubt he will be out at all. He played with his bone sticking out thru his skin. Then they stitched it up, taped it, and he caught a pass that way. Orthopedic surgeons should be able to do even better with new materials.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Oboushi, at least from what I saw in pre-season; however, anything is better than Glowinski, at this point.

All that being said, I'd be in favor of rotating in Roos, let him get some reps at RG.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
netskier":2kqiqu0o said:
scrummymustard":2kqiqu0o said:
ludakrishna":2kqiqu0o said:
I hope this doesn't mean we force feed to Jimmy. We were best when he went out a few years back and Russ was hitting different receivers with 3 steps drops. When he's playing, Russ forgets there are other receivers on the field.

The solution is and always has been, moving Jimmy to a more WR role and spread the offense out. We are wasting his talent and our offense by him playing the traditional TE role. In the redone he is occasionally inside attached to the line or closely unattached and the routes he runs are all congested. Motion him outside so he has a 1v1 with a defender. It's not even him, we don't do this with anyone. Stack one side of the field and leave him or Doug on an island with a defender.

Food for thought and clearly not the end all of our success or failure, but 2016 Graham targets & wins:

8+ Targets in a game: 5-0-1
7+ Targets in a game: 6-1-1
6 or less: 4-4

I just finished watching the All-22 coaches film from Sundays game. He gets killed for his blocking, but I thought he did fine. He's not a Zach Miller, but he isn't the one holding this offense back. Not sure why he is getting called out by our fan base, he was a willing blocker all game from what I saw. The one play where he got knocked down blocking was blown dead. The line didn't hold up when he was going out for routes.

There was three or four - 3rd and longs where he wasn't even on the field. So we have him on the field on 1st and 2nd down and then take him off in obvious passing situations? He made his name for himself in new orleans for moving the chains on 3rd down and in the red zone catching touch downs. We continue to bang our heads against a wall and not use him for the reason we traded for him.

Good post. Sounds as if Jimmy is being set up to fail. Else, why else take him out on passing downs? Organizational politics does this kind of crap. My best guess is that Jimmy said something to Bevell, and Bevell is punishing Jimmy for that, or maybe it was with Wilson. But, let's be clear that together Bevell and Wilson almost completely control the fate of Graham.

Also, check the Hawkblogger, who said the other day, that "Something appears to have soured." http://www.hawkblogger.com/2017/09/morn ... 49ers.html
He predicts we trade Graham before the Oct deadline.

My best guess is that Jimmy gets hurt when they route him short over the middle, so they try not to do that. There is not enough pass protection time to run him deeper, so they don't run him deep while they are training the OL to pass block. So Jimmy gets frustrated, and dogs it, and the coaches and player get down on him, and put him in the dog house.

I agree with the many others here who would like to deploy him wide, to spread the defense, and making it easier for him to protect himself since the hits come from fewer directions. Deploy another tall target wide on the other side to further spread the defense. Wide deployments optimize the sighting lines --- all those guys in the middle block more of the view, particularly if they are close to the passer.

Spreading the defense laterally should provide Wilson with several five yard targets so he can dink the opponent to death while needing only two seconds to get the ball off. I think the biggest risk to the team is getting Wilson hurt because he is not given a quick passing game plan.

Running and deeper passes require better blocking than we have now, so I suggest passing short and quick while we train the OL to block better. Pete's philosophy is predicated on good blocking. This means that his philosophy will not work without good blocking. So do something else until we have better blocking.

I'm not sure about the organizational politics, if that was the case he wouldn't be playing as much as he is. I think its just the rigidness of this offense of pegging him as a TE only and running predominantly TE routes. A few of those 3rd and longs were 4 wide sets (baldwin, lockett, richardson, mcevoy) w/ prosise out of backfield. I'm not sure in what world where McEvoy is playing over Graham in obvious passing situations.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
What did you guys think based on pre-season on who should win the starting guard spot? Just curious

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Aboushi is even worse than Glowinski. Substituting one for the other isn't going to make anything better.

We are just spinning our wheels here, rather than addressing the gaping problem with the offense: LT.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1h12wr7e said:
hawk45":1h12wr7e said:
Jimmy struggling early is the best thing that could happen to us IMO. My worst fear is that we re-up him somehow instead of using that money on the OL where it is more sorely needed and going with a blocking TE that is a 1000% better fit for this offense. The Graham signing was totally defensible since it was thought to be a sinecure for red-zone woes, but that isn't how it has worked out to put it mildly.

Yup. We need to invest time and money into finding the next Zach Miller. That's who was a perfect fit for this Offense.

I'd rather find an OC who knows how to use one of the 3 best TE's in football.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3o0pj5st said:
HawkFan72":3o0pj5st said:
hawk45":3o0pj5st said:
Jimmy struggling early is the best thing that could happen to us IMO. My worst fear is that we re-up him somehow instead of using that money on the OL where it is more sorely needed and going with a blocking TE that is a 1000% better fit for this offense. The Graham signing was totally defensible since it was thought to be a sinecure for red-zone woes, but that isn't how it has worked out to put it mildly.

Yup. We need to invest time and money into finding the next Zach Miller. That's who was a perfect fit for this Offense.

I'd rather find an OC who knows how to use one of the 3 best TE's in football.

Make sure to get one that knows how to call plays with this;

DJdd MyUQAALVXN

cymatica

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bauberc said:
Mojambo":3bauberc said:
They don't need new players on the offensive line, they need to go away from this ridiculous zone blocking scheme. I'm SO sick of watching all five guys take two steps and fall down at some defender's legs.

That's something you do in February and March, not September. It takes months, even years to install and find the right personnel and coaches for a wholesale scheme change.

We know the ZBS works, we had the best run game in the entire league for years...........and with Carson, a healthy Russell and hopefully the line gelling together more and more I think we can get back to that.

That best run game had several hundred yards coming from Wilson. Lynch also was frequently breaking tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage. Combine that with the zone read that just took off in the league. The scheme sure hasn't worked that well with our ball control offense as of late. Aaron Donald laughs at our zone scheme btw.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I want the read option back. Make that d-line think a bit.

keasley45

Reaction score
Trrrroy":v8qa0u12 said:
I want the read option back. Make that d-line think a bit.

I think this is the change thats coming. Not full blown 2012 style, but a willingness to actually run it rather than calling it for show.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2n8kpslr said:
Pocic. Get him in there.

He was in there.......

sorry but he was in for extra points as a TE or just inside the TE spot. I noticed it upon rewatching the game. I think they are working him in slowly.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I have never understood why we traded for a Ferrari (Jimmy) and then proceeded to use the Ferrari like a John Deere.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":353ers44 said:
I have never understood why we traded for a Ferrari (Jimmy) and then proceeded to use the Ferrari like a John Deere.
Because John Deere's harvest championships.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
Smellyman":16o7dufa said:
The Patriots only had 3 WRs on the roster against the Saints, so they completely revamped their offense in a week.

After over 2 years the hawks have no clue how to use Jimmy. Or any of their offensive personnel really

Get it together. sheesh

I just had a nightmare thought of them trading Jimmy to the Patriots for a 3rd rounder and Jimmy and Gronk each catch 200 balls and score 30 TDs each.