Peterson smokes weed before court appearance

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
nothing like parenting advice from two guys that don't have any. SMH
according to Hans, My IQ should be about 150 if only I wouldn't have been spanked as a kid!! It must be the cause for all my problems. you don't actually believe the tripe you just posted do you?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ugqdns3 said:
OkieHawk":2ugqdns3 said:
Even multi-sourced evidence can be wrong, climate change studies ring a bell...? The great thing about science, as you well know, is that it is constantly evolving. Just because they say it's correct today doesn't mean that someone will not disprove it tomorrow.
Aye, it certainly can be. You can say that about anything, though. I certainly hope your point isn't "don't believe anything because it could later be proven wrong at some point", in which case I must ask what your point here actually is.

My opinion on this isn't based on the number of different sources that have correlated it.

You can't say it about everything though, as there are constants even in science. Death and thermodynamics are just a couple.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":3gv0hoq0 said:
nothing like parenting advice from two guys that don't have any. SMH
according to Hans, My IQ should be about 150 if only I wouldn't have been spanked as a kid!! It must be the cause for all my problems. you don't actually believe the tripe you just posted do you?
Parenting thread 2.0. YES!

Because you have kids, you're a great parent and know how to do it well. Let's hear it, Chukar. SAY IT!

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
did I say that? Nope, it should be noted that all the people on this thread that think corporal punishment is bad, don't actually have kids. Tell me again how you are the expert on something you've never done before, please.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":1xwsrhpw said:
did I say that? Nope, it should be noted that all the people on this thread that think corporal punishment is bad, don't actually have kids. Tell me again how you are the expert on something you've never done before, please.
Only a few people have piped up about it in this thread, and I doubt that you know for sure whether the ones against corporal punishment have no kids. (Also, the original parenting thread exploded like it did because I merely said I agree with Riley, a guy who does have kids.)

That being said, hitting is lazy parenting. Think what you want, most parents that swat a kid on the ass likely do it because it only takes a few seconds and is way easier than actual punishment.

You hit a dog because it can't understand the English language, you don't hit a friggin' child that understands what you are saying to them.

Continue onward with the amazing parenting, though! :salute: "You don't have kids, you don't know what it's like!" = "I have to hit my kids, it's the only way I understand how to get them to stop doing something."

Says more about the parents than the kids. :)

chris98251

Reaction score
You can do both a swat and then making sure they understand why they got it. If you have not been a parent and dealt with a child that is stubborn and pissed and just wants to challenge you to see if he or she can then you really have no room to weigh in.

Telling them to go to timeout won't work when they say no or dig their heels in, trying to talk to them when they turn and look away or walk away doesn't work. When they decide their little brother is infringing on their space and proceed to smack him or hurt him and telling them it isn't nice to do that only to have them do it again 5 minutes later knowing that there is no repercussions except a lecture doesn't work.

When they refuse to eat what's for dinner and you send them to bed and they start throwing a fit because they want cereal and are hungry and throw stuff or break stuff or possibly throw the food your telling them to eat on the floor a lecture doesn't work. They may not eat but the child wins in refusing to adhere to the discipline measures you set down.

Those are just a few examples of needing to step in with a attention swat. Granted not everyone has a child that has a temper and is that strong willed, those of us that have had one or more have to walk the line of prevention of bad behavior and not creating fear or breaking their spirit. For every time you need to step in and do something like that when the smoke has cleared a time of soothing and understanding and love follows to let them know it's what they did not who they are that was bad or wrong.

I was always looked at later on when they got older and needed to step into a situation as dad getting on his soapbox, meaning that they would have to listen to me tell them the why's and repercussions of doing things the way they were trying to do them in place of the swats as they grew older. They hated Dad on his soapbox, there were times they said can I just get a spanking without the talk, it's faster :)

themunn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2t2e0x6e said:
themunn":2t2e0x6e said:
I need a study that takes several groups of otherwise indistinguishable children and exposes them to different levels of corporal punishment and records the long term effects before I can take stock in a study of the psychology of receiving spanking. Of course, such a study would be absurd.

FWIW I think it's important to distinguish the difference between the actual physical act and the long term effects of regular physical punishment
There are multiple ones that have done that. No, I won't link you. You'll take umbrage with anything I post about it because your mind is made up and almost nothing will change it. If you truly want to enlighten yourself, let me introduce you to a friend of mine that goes by the name of Google.

I don't know, I looked at a few studies and every one of them referenced that the frequency of corporal punishment was the most important factor, and the consensus conclusion drawn was generally along the lines of the fact that parents who resorted to it on a more regular basis fail to enforce an empathic link with their children in the same way that a parent who uses verbal reasoning and explaining would do (who, at the same time are actually imparting some sort of intellectual enhancement - it's all good and well spanking a child because they did something wrong, but if you never tell them WHY it's wrong of course it's going to be to the detriment of their children's mental development).

it's far far far more complicated than just "the harder you hit a child the more damage it does intellectually"

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
themunn":p7v6y4sh said:
it's far far far more complicated than just "the harder you hit a child the more damage it does intellectually"
I completely agree.

Point remains, though - what extra good or positive teaching takes place with a swat on the ass, specifically?

What about that physical act provides extra benefit that cannot be obtained without physical action being taken? My parents never touched me, and I can tell you that I'd rather have had them do so in some cases because it'd be far easier punishment. Having to sit in the easy chair turned around facing the ticking clock in our living room for 15 or 30 minutes sucked. I'd consider getting spanked for a few seconds a much better deal from the "being punished" perspective, I'd have been back outside playing in seconds rather than being bored out of my mind hating it sitting there staring at the wall for what felt like an eternity. My parents had to keep an eye on me to ensure I didn't sneak away prematurely, but IMO, that's part of what constitutes proper punishment.

Latest posts