Petition to save Bevell an uneducated Cardinals fans POV

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":97gx03ni said:
Bevell is a distraction. Every time he makes a questionable call players and fans are forced to revisit one of the most painful, frustrating moments in franchise history. It was a mistake to bring him back in so much as it violates the "Always Compete" mantra (we could find a better OC) and he is a pariah to the team's most important player. Mama Lynch was only expressing what her son believes and it stands to follow that several other players feel similarly about Bevell.

So why bring him back? How has he earned this loyalty? He's not exactly Bill Walsh. Why not replace him so we don't have to endure this aggravating debate with every crappy gameplan? He is a cloud hanging over the clubhouse and I suspect that the locker room mood would be much improved if he were fired and the play calling turned over to Cable.

It was the only decision to bring him back after he was a big part of getting us to the past 2 Super Bowls and has a good chance to do it again this year. Along with Carl Smith, he's probably the coach who has been most instrumental in the growth of Russell. You always see those 2 on the bench reviewing the Surface when our defense is on the field. Without a doubt he's the best fit for what Pete wants out of his offense

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You couldn't be more wrong if you actually think that I haven't enjoyed the last 2 seasons, and making the Super Bowl in back to back seasons. I was at the last Super Bowl and watched it unfold right in front of me. Had a great weekend, and zero regrets making the trip out there.
So, if I'm critical of Bevell, for good reason, I'm not enjoying the run? You clearly don't know me, and that's ok. :th2thumbs:

Agree to disagree on Bevell. It's a football forum, that's what it's for.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3b1lju4n said:
Who exactly is Bevell a distraction to?

Pete says he loves him, Russell says he loves him, most of the players have gone on record saying they like him and what we do on offense.

Brock and Salk asked Tony Dungy this morning about Bevell and what his opinion was on coaches and coordinators getting criticized...............and he stated it perfect. If you lose or the play is unsuccessful, then the coordinators get blamed, especially on offense.

Dungy said what matters with coordinators is are his players prepared, do they know what we're trying to accomplish, do they know their playbooks..............then it's all up to execution.

How the hell is 4/5th's of our offensive line getting run over like they aren't even there and hammering Lynch in the backfield Bevell's fault?

Agreed it's probably not a distraction to the coaches. There may be some players who questioned his playcalls before who even more likely to question them now, as Tical feared immediately following the Superbowl. That qualifies as a distraction, but probably not a significant one.

Dungy's comment is a truism that is a lazy way to dismiss legitimate concerns about playcalling. NFL coaches rarely question play calls as a rule. I've never heard and NFL coach say "yes, there are playcallers that suck and hurt the team" because even though this is as much a truism as the other, to say so doesn't help the situation moving forward.

So any argument from authority citing Pete or any other NFL coach is flawed. That doesn't prove that they think Bevell sucks, but it doesn't prove the opposite either.

Thing is I mostly agree the OL getting hammered was the story of the game, and I really didn't have a huge problem with Bevell's play calls, even the last one. But the obvious response to this point is, Bevell can't control the OL but he can control the hot routes available in blitzing situations as Scotte pointed out in his awesome gifs-and-whiffs thread.

Should we not expect Bevell to control the things he can control? Is your argument that when the OL sucks Bevell is just off the hook, period?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The way the O-Line looked, against a very good front 7 etc. You would think that they would have a fullback in there a lot more to help with protection. Plus, they went out and got Jackson, who is known as one of the best blocking backs in football. Seems like a waste to leave him on the sidelines when he would be a big help keeping Russ from getting killed back there. Let alone helping the running game. He's a very good threat as a receiver out of the backfield too. Seems like Screen Passes would be a big help in this offense. Look at Foles, those dump off passes were big for them. No reason the Hawks can't do more of that.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
rastahawk":1ot5de70 said:
...........I was at the Charger game last year (this is typical of most of our losses), and before anyone on D could get their Gatorade in they had to get back on the field because the offense was utter crap. Could not put together any momentum to save their lives. Meanwhile Rivers punished us with dink and dunks with the occasional run play sprinkled in. If ever we forced a punt the offense came in and gave the ball right back. Can't control the game without the ball in hand. I understand there are Bevell defenders around, but I am puzzled by what the hell else do we need to figure out about this guy. He is not good period.
GREAT example Rasta!! That was an incredibly frustrating game to watch......125 degrees on the field and the offense is continually going 3 and out without using its running game to try to wear down SD's D instead of our team's getting worn down. IIRC Marshawn had less than 10 carries that day.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3dm8kgjd said:
You couldn't be more wrong if you actually think that I haven't enjoyed the last 2 seasons, and making the Super Bowl in back to back seasons. I was at the last Super Bowl and watched it unfold right in front of me. Had a great weekend, and zero regrets making the trip out there.
So, if I'm critical of Bevell, for good reason, I'm not enjoying the run? You clearly don't know me, and that's ok. :th2thumbs:

Agree to disagree on Bevell. It's a football forum, that's what it's for.
Yes, I realize many of the 12s are passionate. Bev and Pete said as much yesterday. I'm just saying too many over reactionaries are yelling 'fire' when there's barely a puff of smoke. We've still got this.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":31m19jrv said:
Yes, I realize many of the 12s are passionate. Bev and Pete said as much yesterday. I'm just saying too many over reactionaries are yelling 'fire' when there's barely a puff of smoke. We've still got this.

I would say that those who are trying to appear "above it all" are just as guilty of reacting.

Bevell is not the worst play-caller in the world. But he is predictable at all the wrong times and unpredictable at all the wrong times, makes a lot of spot mistakes, and doesn't consistently exploit his available talent. He also has the hardest OC job in the league: enabling a QB who isn't suited for pocket play whatsoever and until last Sunday lacked any real honest-to-God receiving talent. It's not surprising that said QB is exposing Wilson's weaknesses.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45":20z0abqo said:
Should we not expect Bevell to control the things he can control? Is your argument that when the OL sucks Bevell is just off the hook, period?

Not period, but what play works when your offensive line gets demolished?

Here are the facts for all the Bevell haters, big picture style. In 2014 we were a top 10 offense, #1 rushing, and #1 in explosive plays. There are literally 20-25 other teams that'd kill for our offensive production.

More facts, Bevell along with the other offensive coaches have provided a system to take advantage of our skill players. Marshawn was on his way to being a bust before he got here, Russell suits this offense perfectly, make plays. Although our WR corp is one of the least talented in the league, they produce within our system.

So what exactly are we complaining about? Are you guys that naive to think that our offense should just roll up and down the field scoring at will?

What you want in an offensive coordinator is someone that works well with the talent around him, especially the QB...........and we have that. IMO Russell and Darrell work well together. If they didn't, Pete wouldn't keep him. End of story.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Didn't we own time of possession, finish just a few yards of total offense shy of the Rams, get Marshawn his top rushing effort in the last 4 games vs. the Rams against perhaps the best defensive front in the league and hold the lead until the final minute of regulation? And all this on the road? And while breaking in a newfangled offensive line? Nothing to see here folks?

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2njaawjg said:
hawk45":2njaawjg said:

Not period, but what play works when your offensive line gets demolished?

Here are the facts for all the Bevell haters, big picture style. In 2014 we were a top 10 offense, #1 rushing, and #1 in explosive plays. There are literally 20-25 other teams that'd kill for our offensive production.

More facts, Bevell along with the other offensive coaches have provided a system to take advantage of our skill players. Marshawn was on his way to being a bust before he got here, Russell suits this offense perfectly, make plays. Although our WR corp is one of the least talented in the league, they produce within our system.

So what exactly are we complaining about? Are you guys that naive to think that our offense should just roll up and down the field scoring at will?

What you want in an offensive coordinator is someone that works well with the talent around him, especially the QB...........and we have that. IMO Russell and Darrell work well together. If they didn't, Pete wouldn't keep him. End of story.

There were 2 points I was responding to. One, that Pete and Dungy don't badmouth Bevell, to me that is evidence of nothing and should be left out of the argument.

Two, that when the OL is overmatched and facing a blitzing team, it's fair if, as fans, instead of throwing up our hands and not considering Bevell's performance, we look at him and say hey why in the world would you not have a hot route there. Because a hot route is something that may have positive impact that can be implemented as a short-term option. Waiting for your OL to gel or not suck is a longer-term option. The OL struggling is not justification to ignore an OC not helping mitigate those struggles, in fact it is quite the opposite.

Now you raise a third front by connecting the offensive success with Bevell and framing it in a way that makes him largely responsible. It is based on the opinion, which I do not share, that Bevell is responsible for resurrecting Marshawn's career. Getting the ball handed to him is responsible for resurrecting his career. What Bevell genius is the big factor in that? Bevell has been guilty of NOT handing the ball off often enough or at critical times. It also assumes that Bevell is responsible for Russell's success. From the pocket, if anything, Russell's pocket passing game has stayed the same or gone backwards the more time he has spent in Bevell's system (and behind the OL).

Once more, I don't think his play calling during that game was trash, but we should separate out long-standing, legitimate criticisms of Bevell from "Bevell-hating" unless we want there to be a chorus of dismissing your points as "Bevell-loving."

SaskHawk

Reaction score
justafan":2aktjc5z said:
SaskHawk":2aktjc5z said:
What I see is in game decisions by Bevell costing the team games. How many times as fans do you sit there and ask yourself wtf was that? Why would a coach call that play now of all times? Too many times drives are dying because of his play calling imo.

I can live with a blown execution, or a slip but to be constantly questioning his coaching decisions should NEVER be the case in the NFL. There are reasons why a back to back Super Bowl competing team has an OC that nobody has bothered to pick up for a head coaching job. Means the other teams around the league are thinking the same as we are and questioning his decision making ability.

The people questioning his decisions are on a forum who dont have anywhere close to the football experience or knowledge of the individual playcall.Their experience at playcalling probably begins and ends with Madden.

Lol, I'm in my mid forties and haven't played a game since Atari was the hot item. That being said, it seems like we have a very basic play book when it comes to our offense. We see the same pays over and over, week in, week out and I think our opposition are onto the sweeps. I mean yes, we were up against a good defensive line but in that case you have a huge target that could be used over the middle for a screen pass. Using a simple play like that would have St.Louis changing the rates at which they blitzed. It also could have made some big yards happen with the amount of space there would have been. It seems like our offense just kept going back to the same plays hoping that they would work. And don't get me started on the last play, less than a yard and you hand off after a shotgun snap? May work had St.Louis not been walking through our line all day long bu that was nit the case. That was an absolute horrible, horrible play call and it doesn't take someone with coaching experience to realize such.

Listen, I'm usually the last person calling for someone's head to roll but, this is not a new phenomenon, last season was ripe with bad offensive play calling and it looks to continue this year. There is only so many times you can shoot yourself in the foot imo.

justafan

Reaction score
SaskHawk":1k46uqs7 said:
justafan":1k46uqs7 said:
SaskHawk":1k46uqs7 said:
What I see is in game decisions by Bevell costing the team games. How many times as fans do you sit there and ask yourself wtf was that? Why would a coach call that play now of all times? Too many times drives are dying because of his play calling imo.

I can live with a blown execution, or a slip but to be constantly questioning his coaching decisions should NEVER be the case in the NFL. There are reasons why a back to back Super Bowl competing team has an OC that nobody has bothered to pick up for a head coaching job. Means the other teams around the league are thinking the same as we are and questioning his decision making ability.

The people questioning his decisions are on a forum who dont have anywhere close to the football experience or knowledge of the individual playcall.Their experience at playcalling probably begins and ends with Madden.

Lol, I'm in my mid forties and haven't played a game since Atari was the hot item. That being said, it seems like we have a very basic play book when it comes to our offense. We see the same pays over and over, week in, week out and I think our opposition are onto the sweeps. I mean yes, we were up against a good defensive line but in that case you have a huge target that could be used over the middle for a screen pass. Using a simple play like that would have St.Louis changing the rates at which they blitzed. It also could have made some big yards happen with the amount of space there would have been. It seems like our offense just kept going back to the same plays hoping that they would work. And don't get me started on the last play, less than a yard and you hand off after a shotgun snap? May work had St.Louis not been walking through our line all day long bu that was nit the case. That was an absolute horrible, horrible play call and it doesn't take someone with coaching experience to realize such.

Listen, I'm usually the last person calling for someone's head to roll but, this is not a new phenomenon, last season was ripe with bad offensive play calling and it looks to continue this year. There is only so many times you can shoot yourself in the foot imo.

I hear you,we all just want them to win games like this.Im cool if Bevel goes but because i believe execution trumps xs and os.In my opinion thats where this team fails.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
morgulon1":3hwjc60y said:
Diezel Dawg":3hwjc60y said:
Some play action roll outs thrown in more more Often would play to our reception very strengths

And add 2 short crossing style routes. To go with the 15 bubble screens per game .

FIFy....of course this is for Bevell's information.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
@bcondotta 1h1 hour ago
Bob Condotta Retweeted CJ Middleton
Seahawks set an all-time franchise record for yards gained per play last season.

FIRE BEVELL!!!

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
ringless":1k5jhd3t said:
@bcondotta 1h1 hour ago
Bob Condotta Retweeted CJ Middleton
Seahawks set an all-time franchise record for yards gained per play last season.

FIRE BEVELL!!!
Hmmm, wanted to bring your crap stirrer post back to life. Fine I'll bite. Here is the issue with Bevelle as far as I'm concerned. Pts, first downs, TOP in the first half. To my surprise we really aren't bad in all the other stats on the offense. So if he doesn't fix this, I'm still on board with tossing him because I believe his ineptness comes from being stubborn.

Also I think the turnover ratio has really shielded many offensive faults the past couple years. We are at -1 so far this year, 16th. This is probably why the focus of our failures is on our O for the most part.

kf3339

Reaction score
When you are too simple on offense it is easy for an opposing team's DC to game plan and counter to maximum affect. All one has to do is look at our offensive plays and results to see how no one is fooled one bit.

There are probably 15-20 or more posters on this board that can see what we do and could game plan a defensive strategy to shut us down. Why is anyone surprised that NFL DC's are making it look easy?

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
I honestly don't think it's a stirring crap post. I feel like the last few years stats speak for themselves. #1 in explosive plays. Top 10 in PPG etc.

This year, I think one of the major issues is a personnel issue in the fact the offensive line was neglected. The fact that Russel tends to struggle with the middle of the field and sometimes waits to long when a WR is open. The Seahawks aren't a team that need to put ip 21+ ppg on a consistent bases as long as the offense runs the ball well consistently. However they are more than capable of it.

But I think it's asking a lot of possibly the worst OL in the league. Which would make even great WR's struggle to have good games. The WR corps is in the bottom half of the league. I feel it's a personnel issue not a OC issue.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Bevell is directing an offense that is scoring, on average, 10 fewer points per game than the LEAGUE AVERAGE.

Bevell is also directing an offense is dead last in TDs per game and near the bottom of the league in RZ TD%.

Also 24th in passing, when you have 20M per year committed to the QB (which is almost 3 of the LOB players combined).

I am not clear what other #s you can look at but whatever stats you do review are going to show Seattle at the bottom of the league in almost any offensive category this year.

Save FGs per drive and we are still in the top 10 in rush offense.

But by any measure, as the driver of the offense, Bevell is failing this year.

He is the definition of a coattail rider if ever we saw one.

Latest posts