PFF says the Hawks have the worst O-line in the league

King Dog

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/783712860622954496[/tweet]

Nice picture lol

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm sure we're all very jealous of the Tennessee Titans with their #1 OL PFF ranking. How much better has life been as a Titans fan recently? No playoff berths to tank their draft position for one thing.

Of course, the Titans didn't have their RG out with an injury and their QB mobility severely hampered as well while playing some of the best D-Lines in the league. Let's not let reality get in the way of the grading though.

Largent80

Reaction score
I think by years end our o-line will be graded in the middle. That is a gigantic improvement over last year, and is all we need.

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":v76h5x3f said:
McGruff":v76h5x3f said:
NINEster":v76h5x3f said:
Attyla the Hawk":v76h5x3f said:
And yet the bottom 3 of this list are among the top 10 in the NFL.

Yet again an example that if you're going to skimp somewhere on your team -- do it on the OL.

Not that I really consider PFF to be entirely accurate in their grading. Basically they are the public authority because they are the only ones that consider taking the effort. Even still, there isn't a premium on OL quality as it relates to wins. It's one way to be successful. But you can be 'terrible' at it and still be amongst the best in the league.

Not in January.

In 2012 the Seahawas were one play away from the Superbowl with the 20th ranked OL.

In 2013 the Seahawks won the Superbowl with the 27th ranked OL.

In 2014 the Seahawas were one play away from winning the Superbowl with the 19th ranked OL.

In 2015 the Seahawks made it to the 2nd round with the 30th tanked OL.

That's 4 consequetive deep playoff runs, 2 Superbowl appearances and one championship, all with a bad offensive line.

You mean the NFC championship game against the 49ers, right?

AKA "One play away from the Superbowl" :p

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I'm a,little surprised. Russ would benefit,with,a longer pocket but he,does have one. The line could improve with the right fa selection. I'd love to have seen sea pick up incognito in 2015.

J mart told USA Today in May hasn't ruled out going back to the NFL. People Scoff as they did with Incognito. Richie has changed.and jmart could,too. Dolphins situation was a distraction, having different players on the online each week at 49ers was a distraction, his depression was a distraction that he's learned to handle. He has friends in sea. If he comes back, hope,the Hawks consider a workout.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Why are people saying Wilson can protect himself with his legs? If anything, his legs are what got him hurt. Against the Jets, stationary Russell didn't really take my bad hits because he didn't try and rabbit around much.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":140qpwnr said:
Is it really that hard to believe we have the worse line?

I mean, yeah they're getting better, but they were pretty damn bad before the Niners game, and even last week allowed what three sacks and Michael didn't run for much?

The Rams' DL makes a lot of OL's look bad.

It's back to that question: are they bad, or did they look bad against elite competition ?

nanomoz

Reaction score
Hmmppph. I think this line is shaping up to be the best all-around line the 'Hawks have had in quite a while. The interior of the line is already solid, and it could be great by the year's end. Gilliam is erratic, but capable against speed rushers. Sowell is a replacement-level guy at the moment, but, I think Fant will be ready to contribute sooner than most people think. The dude's athleticism and toughness jumped out of the TV in the preseason.

Getting Vannett back is going to help. Things are on the upswing, IMO.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawks46":2rzfqp9d said:
Sgt. Largent":2rzfqp9d said:

I mean, yeah they're getting better, but they were pretty damn bad before the Niners game, and even last week allowed what three sacks and Michael didn't run for much?

And the Dolphins', and the Jets'...and the 49ers, if you're talking about their ends...

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Russ' strategy is somewhat similar to,Kaep's in 2013. He'd run around and complete to Crabtree for decent yardage. Russ' footwork is more intricate and he does see all open receivers instead of just Doug, and WRs can get it In the end zone.

Russ is doing fantastic despite o line probs, but he needs more strategic options that a clean pocket would provide.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
What data points are used to determine the rating? Missed assignments? hurried passes? sacks? runs stuffed? etc. It would be interesting to know how they rate this as the top teams are at the bottom. In order to be a qualified rating, you would need a consistent data set to compare teams at an apple to apple level. Seems like they just read headlines from hack writers from a few weeks prior.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":27037l3d said:
Sgt. Largent":27037l3d said:

It's back to that question: are they bad, or did they look bad against elite competition ?

I didn't read the article, I'm allergic to PFF...............but yes the D-line competition is a part of why our O-line has struggled.

But again, after the first two games every single one of us was complaining about the O-line, so why now all of a sudden are we mad that a site ranked them last?

12thbrah

Reaction score
Lets just say sometimes you can still have a great meal buying off the $1 menu.

razor150

Reaction score
McGruff":13khzjij said:
And yet the bottom 3 of this list are among the top 10 in the NFL.

Yet again an example that if you're going to skimp somewhere on your team -- do it on the OL.

Not that I really consider PFF to be entirely accurate in their grading. Basically they are the public authority because they are the only ones that consider taking the effort. Even still, there isn't a premium on OL quality as it relates to wins. It's one way to be successful. But you can be 'terrible' at it and still be amongst the best in the league.

In 2013 we were one play away from not going, except Sherman made a great play and Malcolm made a heads up play. We lost in the 2nd round against Atlanta in 2012.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
There's a new Field Gulls Grade (FGG) rating being done over there, it's kinda fun. The guy rates an O lineman on every offensive play then averages it. Includes commentary on the outliers, good and bad plays.

Largent80

Reaction score
Here is the thing. In College these days OL isn't a developed position. Spread offense IS.

What IS developed is D-Line and that is why you see so many D-Line guys drafted high and get the money.

It seems like every week we face a "formitable D-Line"...well, we do because teams invest highly there.

I'm liking what I am seeing so far, and I am hard to please regarding OL.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1jy2itly said:
can't keep using the "we've done it before with a bad line" as justification for continually neglecting it or trying to patch it up with FA cast-offs and converted D linemen.

Marshawn Lynch was like having an extra o-line guy on the field.

Russell Wilson isn't getting any younger. The older he gets the less effective his wheels are going to be.

If y'all remember back to mid season last year, Tom Cable was dialing in a more pass oriented Offensive line, and the statement he made about how Marshawn Lynch having to make some changeup in his game when he comes back to play.
You can see Tom Cable working & transitioning the O-Line to giving Russell Wilson some semblance of pocket to pass from, but it's also going to require RW to unload the ball a little quicker, and thus take some of the pressure off the guys that are trying to fend off the would be hits & sacks on him.
Judging by the last game, I thing they're doing a pretty good job of putting the whole package together.
The O-line is only going to get better with continuity, and the better they get, the more creative the play calls can be.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1313jq4z said:
Hawknballs":1313jq4z said:
can't keep using the "we've done it before with a bad line" as justification for continually neglecting it or trying to patch it up with FA cast-offs and converted D linemen.

Marshawn Lynch was like having an extra o-line guy on the field.

Russell Wilson isn't getting any younger. The older he gets the less effective his wheels are going to be.

If y'all remember back to mid season last year, Tom Cable was dialing in a more pass oriented Offensive line, and the statement he made about how Marshawn Lynch having to make some changeup in his game when he comes back to play.
You can see Tom Cable working & transitioning the O-Line to giving Russell Wilson some semblance of pocket to pass from, but it's also going to require RW to unload the ball a little quicker, and thus take some of the pressure off the guys that are trying to fend off the would be hits & sacks on him.
Judging by the last game, I thing they're doing a pretty good job of putting the whole package together.
The O-line is only going to get better with continuity, and the better they get, the more creative the play calls can be.

You have your causality backwards. Cable and Bevell already had the quick-pass system installed as of last year's BYE, and it made life easier on the O-line, not the other way around. By flooding the flat and center middle with more options for Russ, it forced more linebackers into coverage instead of blitzing, and accordingly gave Russ less pressure. And with Russ getting the ball off quickly, you see less of Gilliam having to sustain a block for four seconds; he ends up looking much better.

A big part of our OL woes up until that day was Pete calling a system that relied on long-developing plays, which in turn required a lot from the OL. We switched to a different system and everyone was a lot happier.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":18e8lxkb said:
What data points are used to determine the rating? Missed assignments? hurried passes? sacks? runs stuffed? etc. It would be interesting to know how they rate this as the top teams are at the bottom. In order to be a qualified rating, you would need a consistent data set to compare teams at an apple to apple level. Seems like they just read headlines from hack writers from a few weeks prior.

Plucked From Fanny