Pick #120 TE Will Dissly

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I like this pick. I think reestablishing the run game was #1 priority this offseason. This helps tremendously. Could you image if Dixon got hurt. Vannett and Swoops around have been a huge weakness.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Seafan

Reaction score
Dissly has great hands. He'll fit in well. 4th rated TE in a great TE class. Good pick but also a real need. From what Pete and JS have been saying they want players on the field who can do everything. No more broadcasting to the defense what's coming. The RBs will all be able to run, block and catch. Same with the TEs.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":ep054yw7 said:
Supply was nonexistent for good blocking TEs. The position continues to become more and more finesse at the college level.

Based on that logic they should have loaded up on O-Lineman as that position group talent wise is near non-existant.

In other words, a reach is still a reach. regardless of scarcity.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":3be5fjuh said:
hawknation2018":3be5fjuh said:
Supply was nonexistent for good blocking TEs. The position continues to become more and more finesse at the college level.

Based on that logic they should have loaded up on O-Lineman as that position group talent wise is near non-existant.

Of course they should have drafted offensive linemen higher. It's the weakest position group on the team, good offensive linemen are in small supply (though there are more good offensive linemen than blocking TEs), and Connor Williams was available for the taking. Dumb decision, IMO, very reminiscent of the miss on Ryan Ramczyk last year.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3tz0tlcm said:
Fade":3tz0tlcm said:
hawknation2018":3tz0tlcm said:

Of course they should have drafted offensive linemen higher. It's the weakest position group on the team, good offensive linemen are in small supply (though there are more good offensive linemen than blocking TEs), and Connor Williams was available for the taking. Dumb decision, IMO, very reminiscent of the miss on Ryan Ramczyk last year.

So you would swap out Rashaad Penny for Connor Williams picked 50th? Wow. I'm glad you're not the GM.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":1v28ev74 said:
hawknation2018":1v28ev74 said:
Fade":1v28ev74 said:
hawknation2018":1v28ev74 said:

So you would swap out Rashaad Penny for Connor Williams picked 50th? Wow. I'm glad you're not the GM.

I'm not as high on Penny as you are. I would have traded down again into the 2nd round, if that was feasible, for Connor Williams & added a couple more picks.

On the bright side, people get to continue complaining about Ifedi at RT and the dearth of quality guards on the roster.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":5dbkrzvk said:
Fade":5dbkrzvk said:
hawknation2018":5dbkrzvk said:
Fade":5dbkrzvk said:

I'm not as high on Penny as you are. I would have traded down again into the 2nd round, if that was feasible, for Connor Williams & added a couple more picks.

On the bright side, people get to continue complaining about Ifedi at RT and the dearth of quality guards on the roster.
Conor Williams is going to play Guard for the Cowboys, he can't play tackle. Why not go with a mauler like Will Hernandez?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":3c64d9x2 said:
hawknation2018":3c64d9x2 said:
Fade":3c64d9x2 said:
hawknation2018":3c64d9x2 said:

Conor Williams is going to play Guard for the Cowboys, he can't play tackle. Why not go with a mauler like Will Hernandez?

Williams would be a stud at either right tackle or guard. Hernandez is a decent prospect but he doesn't have the length, explosiveness or athleticism of WIlliams.

Anyway, they didn't take either player. The offensive line is now Brown & Britt, plus three question marks.

Pocic was awful last year. He has gained weight, but how much can he reasonably improve with his limited athleticism?

Fluker is not explosive and has really slow feet. Not a good guard prospect.

Ifedi is playing out of position at RT.

Fade

Reaction score
My point still stands loading up on a bunch of over valued O-Lineman due to scarcity makes your team worse.

ie drafting 3rd rd O-Lineman in the 1st etc.

Would you rather have Myles Jack, Derrick Henry, Deon Jones, Michael Thomas, Kevin Byard, Yannick Ngakoue, or Germaine Ifedi on the football team? but... but... need. Thay passed on at least 6 studs to select Germaine Ifedi.

Would you rather have Dak Prescott, Pharoah Cooper, Sheldon Day, Joe Schobert, or really anyone over Rhees Odhiambo selected in the 3rd rd. Who was a 5th rounder at best going into that draft. but... but... need.

Seattle applied the same logic to a blocking TE in this instance. He is a nice player to get in the 6th-7th rd, but at pick 120 that is high for him. Let us cross our fingers and hope he morphs into Zach Miller.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":1jrt6eln said:
My point still stands loading up on a bunch of over valued O-Lineman due to scarcity makes your team worse.

Would you rather have Myles Jack, Derrick Henry, Deon Jones, Michael Thomas, Kevin Byard, Yannick Ngakoue, or Germaine Ifedi on the football team? but... but... need. Thay passed on at least 6 studs to select Germaine Ifedi.

Would you rather have Dak Prescott, Pharoah Cooper, Sheldon Day, Joe Schobert, or really anyone over Rhees Odhiambo selected in the 3rd rd. Who was a 5th rounder at best going into that draft. but... but... need.

Seattle applied the same logic to a blocking TE in this instance. He is a nice player to get in the 6th-7th rd, but at pick 120 that is high for him. Let us cross our fingers and hope he morphs into Zach Miller.

Dallas has demonstrated once again how to draft offensive linemen. The Seahawks have NOT figured that out yet.

But at least they finally have a TE who likes to hit.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":9vw7ld9p said:
Fade":9vw7ld9p said:

Dallas has demonstrated once again how to draft offensive linemen. The Seahawks have NOT figured that out yet.

And Dallas will once again miss the playoffs. :mrgreen: shows you the value in having a great O-line. Zeke Elliot is the difference maker on that team, a 1st rd runningback not their O-Line. You sure love getting destroyed don't you.

That TE who likes to hit will be playing behind Nick Vannett & Ed Dickson. Reach.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":2jzgxhrf said:
hawknation2018":2jzgxhrf said:
Fade":2jzgxhrf said:

And Dallas will once again miss the playoffs. :mrgreen: shows you the value in having a great O-line. Zeke Elliot is the difference maker on that team, a 1st rd runningback not their O-Line. You sure love getting destroyed don't you.

That TE who likes to hit will be playing behind Nick Vannett & Ed Dickson. Reach.

The Eagles just won the Super Bowl with defense and the best offensive line in football. Cowboys' problem is defense. Their offensive line makes Zeke Elliot look a lot better than he really is. That's the importance of a strong offensive line. Eagles' offensive line made the statue, known as Nick Foles, look good.

Are you really arguing that having a strong offensive line isn't important? LOL.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":ifhtps5a said:
Fade":ifhtps5a said:
hawknation2018":ifhtps5a said:
Fade":ifhtps5a said:

The Eagles just won the Super Bowl with defense and the best offensive line in football. Cowboys' problem is defense. Their offensive line makes Zeke Elliot look a lot better than he really is. That's the importance of a strong offensive line.

So you're going with recency bias?

You're on the ropes right now. Let me give you some advice. Hit the one in the middle.

The eagles had the deepest backfield in the sport. Which of course feel free to ignore.

4 of the 5 previous Superbowl champs Seattle, New England x2, Denver did not have ideal O-Lines. Traditionally over the last 20 yrs, teams haven't needed great O-Lines to win Superbowls. Otherwise teams like Oakland, Dallas, Cleveland, Tennessee, etc, would be perennial playoff teams competing for titles.

And no response to Dissly being 3rd string, despite being taking in the 4th, with not having any stiff competition? Which is the main point. Reach.

massari

Reaction score
Love that they got a good blocking TE, but Josh Sweat, Mo Hurst, Kalan Ballage were still on the board.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":ex08ib4n said:
hawknation2018":ex08ib4n said:
The Eagles just won the Super Bowl with defense and the best offensive line in football. Cowboys' problem is defense. Their offensive line makes Zeke Elliot look a lot better than he really is. That's the importance of a strong offensive line.

You're on the ropes right now. Let me give you some advice. Hit the one in the middle.

The eagles had the deepest backfield in the sport. Which of course feel free to ignore.

4 of the 5 previous Superbowl champs Seattle, New England x2, Denver did not have ideal O-Lines. Traditionally over the last 20 yrs, teams haven't needed great O-Lines to win Superbowls. Otherwise teams like Oakland, Dallas, Cleveland, Tennessee, etc, would be perennial playoff teams competing for titles.

And no response to Dissly being 3rd string, despite being taking in the 4th, with not having any stiff competition? Which is the main point. Reach.

So that's what you're saying? You don't think strong offensive line play is important. I think that's RIDICULOUS, but at least I see where you are coming from. The Seahawks have been hamstrung by their offensive line for the last THREE YEARS. Yet some remain blind.

With regards to Dissly, his ceiling is higher than Vannett & Dickson because he is stronger, more physical, and has the potential to be an all-around TE.

I don't know how that will play out in his rookie year. Dickson is highly experienced and a solid pass blocker. Vannett is an average/slightly below average blocker and possibly average/above average receiver. Dissly is still learning the position.

Like a lot of 4th round picks, it may take Dissly some time to move into a starting role. But I'm certainly happy to have a TE with that sort of physicality and all-around potential. Poor blocking at the TE position has also big a huge issue over the last three seasons.

chris98251

Reaction score
Dissly is not expected to stretch the field, he is a option as a check down guy, he knows how to create space to catch the ball and is considered to be average based on several scouting reports with room to improve. 4th rounder's are considered guys that can develop or contribute. Most mocks and scouting guys thought he was a 4th or 5th rounder so not a reach.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3kn7h4qk said:
Fade":3kn7h4qk said:
hawknation2018":3kn7h4qk said:

So that's what you're saying? You don't think strong offensive line play is important. I think that's RIDICULOUS, but at least I see where you are coming from. The Seahawks have been hamstrung by their offensive line for the last THREE YEARS. Yet some remain blind.

With regards to Dissly, his ceiling is higher than Vannett & Dickson because he is stronger, more physical, and has the potential to be an all-around TE.

I don't know how that will play out in his rookie year. Dickson is highly experienced and a solid pass blocker. Vannett is an average/slightly below average blocker and possibly average/above average receiver. Dissly is still learning the position.

Like a lot of 4th round picks, it may take Dissly some time to move into a starting role. But I'm certainly happy to have a TE with that sort of physicality and all-around potential. Poor blocking at the TE position has also big a huge issue over the last three seasons.

I will give you an "A" for effort, but an "F" for arguing against facts.

Strong offensive line play has not correlated into championships in the last 20 yrs. Defenses & Franchise QBs are the catalysts. These are the facts, regardless of how you feel about it.

Dissly isn't that great of prospect if he can't beat out Ed Dickson & Nick Vannett.
2F2Fmediagiphycom2Fmedia2FVaC1P0Gz0D3NK2F200

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":14utkwbc said:
Strong offensive line play has not correlated into championships in the last 20 yrs.

That is a mathematical statement of fact. Do you have any statistical analysis to support this assertion or just what you pulled out of your behind? :p

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Stop with the sidetracking of the thread. If you want to talk about OL's and past superbowls, start a new thread of your own.