Pick #120 TE Will Dissly

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1rwm61fb said:
The beautiful things you can do with a TE, who is also a physical blocker.

Giphy

Those are some pretty nice gifs you have there. :mrgreen:

Fade

Reaction score
Got any of him on 3rd and long?

You may be swaying me with these .gifs brother.

Fade

Reaction score
You got me teetering. I just need that money shot. 3rd down against man coverage.

With that being said I am willing to recant my "reach" statement.

Simply put I do not remember Will Dissly being that fluid in terms of his route running, adjusting to the ball when it is in the air, and running after the catch. He is still raw in these areas, but he is far more advanced in these areas than I had originally recalled. I, along with many others, including the reports I have read have been sleeping on him.

Fortunately the Seahawks weren't because they got a good prospect in the 4th round, and is worthy of that selection.

I don't think he will ever be Zach Miller, but he will be close enough.

sutz

Reaction score
I think I'll wait at least until Training Camp before I say whether or not this guy will make the field, or be a starter, or whatever.

:229031_shrug:

truehawksfan

Reaction score
To mention passing on players like Dak Prescott is like saying other teams missed on Russ, or Sherm, or Bam-Bam. We can play arm chair QB on players any team missed in previous drafts all day long so can we agree to disagree on where Dissly was drafted? To digress to this level is meaningless other then to go out of your way to make a point.

Plus, do you really think Dickson was signed as a long term solution? Maybe. Maybe not.

Vannett looks promising, but he really hasn't proved himself because of Graham and Willson. If so, are you really sold on him? Has he shown anything to be a starter? Maybe. Maybe not.

PC/JS has clearly identified TE as a priority. And, not just a TE, but one that can block as they let pass catching/horrible run blocking Graham and Willson go and replacing them with Dickson and Dissly.

And what if the team decides to use a 2 TE set often and either Dickson or Vannett gets hurt? What's our back up plan? Play Swoopes who is raw as sushi as a TE? I can hear it on .net on why the team passed on Dissly who's a great run blocking TE if this happened.

Vesuve

Reaction score
nanomoz":34452mti said:
I love this pick. I wanted either Dissly or Smythe or Schultz.

The Hawks can now run 2- and 3-TE sets with confidence of moving forward.

Cheers, nanomoz

I have faith in PCJS and the scouts.

Let the season tell us.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I liked the gifs for both Dissly and Vannett because it showcases their ability to block and simply re-enforces the reason why PC/JS drafted them in the first place.

Plus, the Hawks will run a lot of play action and we saw Dissly as assignment aware. He did a great job blocking his man and releasing into the open field.

And, I agree Dissly will be reduced to a niche player. But, Zach Miller was reduced to this role with just 33 receptions. But, unlike Graham, Miller accepted that role because he had 60 and 66 receptions with the Raiders prior to signing with Seattle and he embraced it where Graham was simply disinterested.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
rjdriver":14kwarcq said:
I’m honestly asking...

How is his game different than Nick Vannett’s? Wasn’t Vannett more known as a blocking TE out of OSU? It will be interesting to see the offensive role our TE’s play this year with the change in personnel.
To play devils advocate.. JS and PC said the exact same things about Vannett.. This year is a big one for him.. But it doesn't hurt to have your 3 TE's all be good blockers.. This guy adds to the competition. I like the pick.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

hawknation2018

Reaction score
jlwaters1":b4x5syiy said:
rjdriver":b4x5syiy said:
I’m honestly asking...

How is his game different than Nick Vannett’s? Wasn’t Vannett more known as a blocking TE out of OSU? It will be interesting to see the offensive role our TE’s play this year with the change in personnel.
To play devils advocate.. JS and PC said the exact same things about Vannett.. This year is a big one for him.. But it doesn't hurt to have your 3 TE's all be good blockers.. This guy adds to the competition. I like the pick.

Dissly is a lot more physical than Vannett. Vannett plays like a big receiver and does a nice job screening off defenders at times. Dissly is a human bulldozer, who can also run routes and catch the ball.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":29i19xlx said:
jlwaters1":29i19xlx said:
rjdriver":29i19xlx said:
I’m honestly asking...

Dissly is a lot more physical than Vannett. Vannett plays like a big receiver and does a nice job screening off defenders at times. Dissly is a human bulldozer, who can also run routes and catch the ball.
That is what I noticed..The guy just does not go down,it is a fight to get him there.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Fade":2cqgoype said:
Taking a runblocking TE in the 4th, is like taking a center with the 1st overall pick. Even if he is a stud, it is the wrong choice due to positional value, and the ability to find great players at that position much later in the draft.

This was a scarcity pick due to how John Schneider sets up his draft board. Nothing more, nothing less.
Total nonsense, there's no such thing as "positional value" in the 4th round.. In rounds 4-7 your trying to get role players who might develop into a starter. I like this pick. Because these 3 guys all can block.. This is Vannetts year to prove he's a good player. When he was picked PC and JS said he was the best blocker 2.
This pick just adds to the competition, while also getting someone with a higher upside due to his relative newness to the position.