Pick #69, Tyler Lockett, WR/KR/Gunner, KSU

Tokadub

Reaction score
Just started to look into the details of some of our new players tonight, checked out Tyler Lockett first...

Must say I am pumped up for this guy!

It seems to me that the team didn't truly realize the kind of value Tate had... they expected Harvin to be even better which obviously didn't work out...

This Tyler Lockett guy really reminds me a bit of Golden Tate, although they both have very different running styles they both seem to be great at running for more yards than the typical player should once the ball is in their hands. While Tate seems to have a little better first step speed and the ability to change directions and burst away on the dime, Tyler Lockett seems to be a naturally gifted runner. What I mean by that is that he doesn't waste any motion he knows exactly what he's doing and most importantly he seems to be extremely intelligent with amazing field vision which allows him to effortlessly read the defense and his own teams blockers to make the perfect moves to never get caught out of position and to continue stacking up the yardage.

After seeing some of Tyler Lockett's highlights I can totally understand why they would choose him for our punt/kick returns, he's a natural and very smart and fluid runner with great top speed which he only uses after he has found the open space with his great talents. This guy would be hell to play in a game of tag or to defend on kick/punt returns, it seems like he has practiced faking guys out and finding the best running lanes his whole life but more likely he is just a true talent in this regard.

Those same fluid running skills also seem to allow him to run a wide variety of routes and more importantly to GET OPEN and maybe even naturally improvise with a scrambling Russell Wilson using his excellent vision and field awareness.

I love this pick and can totally understand why they gave up 4 picks to ensure that this would happen! Tyler Lockett reminds me of Golden Tate, even though he moves differently he could have a similar impact minus the "bone headed" plays of Tate which were his only real weakness. I'm still concerned if Bevell will be able to finally be consistent on offense with high percentage plays but with Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, Jimmy Graham, Doug Baldwin, Kevin Norwood, Ricardo Lockette, Chris Matthews, and now Tyler Lockett at his disposal... he better get his act together or he needs to go!

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
This might be the reason why people think he was bad against press man....

"I don’t often think about just one play that defines a player but when considering what makes former Kansas State star wide receiver Tyler Lockett special, one play comes to mind. Against Oklahoma State, Lockett was matched much of the game on an eventual next level player with a ton of confidence - Cowboy CB Kevin Peterson. Although Lockett had a handful of catches in the game, Peterson made his night a little tougher than other games had been in the Big 12 for Lockett. Peterson played press coverage a majority of the time and early in the game, Lockett could easily have run past him on a go route but turned back on a hitch route. As such, Peterson stayed right in his pocket. As I watched, I got upset, honestly. I couldn’t understand why Lockett didn’t just go to a sight adjust and hit it deep. I mean, he would’ve had him by a step or three. Alas, he didn’t. Peterson sat on the hitch and had the feet and quickness to match that route. Lockett, later in the first half, did the same thing and then did it again early in the second half. Each time I got more and more frustrated.

Then, later in the second half, the picture truly came into focus. Same press coverage, similar start to the route, then ZOOM, Lockett was gone. He sold Peterson on the hitch, the Cowboy CB turned his head for a split second to look for the ball and Lockett sprinted down the sideline WIDE OPEN on the hitch and go. Double move killer. It’s just an odd sight to see a receiver that wide open vs. a guy that had challenged him all night long. But, Lockett was so quick after the hitch that even had Peterson anticipated the double move, Lockett still would’ve left him in dust.

Oh, I forgot to mention that QB Jake Waters sailed the throw, his worst of the night probably, but Lockett fully extended and made a fingertip catch for the biggest gain of the night."

Source: http://www.houstontexans.com/news/artic ... cac9a13e0f

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/5/5/8557 ... new-player

Softy Interview: His positional coach interviewed about Lockette.

Pretty much what Wilson's coach had mention about him after he was drafted you can hear the same type of excitement from Lockett's coach.

He said he don't know who the receivers are on the Hawks, but they better watch out, he (Lockett) will get a spot.

This is why I believe that Tyler Lockett will be something, the stars are aligning folks, can the Seahawks be hit with lightning twice.....I think so.

Oh and the coach messed on on Russell's last name and called him Russell Westbrook lol

plyka

Reaction score
Hawks46":35dz4f74 said:
Well, I wanted Lockett pretty badly due to his return ability. Think about it: we just upgrade Walters roster spot with the top return man in college football, a ST gunner, and a very very productive WR as well. This guy has produced more than most of our WRs ever did in college, certainly more than Kearse, Norwood, Baldwin, and Matthews.

I would've liked to get Lockett and a few more picks ,but many mocks didn't even have Lockett reaching us in the 2nd round. And how many 4th and 5th round picks do we really think are going to make the team ? Remember we have Hill, Marsh, McCoy, and Simon all coming back from injury.

How many 4th, 5th and 6th rounders do we expect to make the team? KJ Wright (4th round), Richard Sherman (5th round), Kam Chancellor (5th round), Byron Maxwell (6th round) ---do I need to continue? The Hawks just spent a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 5th round pick on Lockette --so that's basically Russell Wilson, Kj Wright, Richard Sherman and Maxwell.

plyka

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3gtwk7dp said:
chris98251":3gtwk7dp said:
Actually I think we drafted him because more teams are going big CB, they don't have the FS to do what we do but are doing what they can to emulate a lot of what we do, in fact I heard a lot of people say that some CB's drafted are Safety Converts for that coverage reason deep.

Having said all that, Pete knows our weakness, he also knows that having a Lockette to exploit it on other teams will be a boon for us. Lockette may not have outside size but he can run it as well as Richardson and get deep on the Bigger CB's with a Jimmy taking the double off and doing the seam or crossing pattern.
Tyler Lockett is not the type of guy that does well against physical DBs, and bigger guys. In college he struggled with defenders that got physical against him. In the NFL he's going to struggle going against some of the more physical DBs in the game. A major weakness of his is going against press coverage. This is one of the reasons why I believe that he is more suited to playing the slot position, and why I don't think he's going to take Kearse's job on the outside any time soon.

We drafted Lockett because he is good at many different things. He is a special team ace that can return punts, and he is also a very good gunner. Not only that but he also gives us a boost in the short passing game. He's very adept at using his blockers to set up defenders. This means we can probably expect him on screens and pick plays. The Seahawks tried running these plays near the end of the season with mixed results. I also expect us to experiment with him as a deep threat, though I think this will be met with mixed results. Essentially he will free up three to four roster spaces assuming that Lockette doesn't make the team. Think about it, he will be a wide receiver, gunner, punt returner, and possibly even kick returner.

The reason why I'm not necessarily fired up about this pick is because his skillset is redundant in our offense. Doug Baldwin excels at many of the same things that Lockett does, and he is already one of the best slot receivers in the league. Richardson also has a similar skillset, albeit I think Lockett is more refined than Richardson is as a receiver. What Seattle is missing is a wide receiver that can play on the perimeter. Baldwin can, he just is not the best at it, and Kearse is probably our most inconsistent receiver on this team. He can either come up big or ruin the momentum of the offense. We do not have one player that consistently demands the opposing defenses respect. (One other negative that I will have to mention is his hands are not the best in the world. He's dropped some very easy passes in college, he also does not have a big catching radius.)

We do have Graham, but he was used in a unique fashion in New Orleans, and he wasn't necessarily a big time deep threat. He was more of a possession receiver, and red zone threat that could be moved around anywhere on the field. He's certainly going to help, but I believe we also need someone else to tip the field. I really hope that we do not use him like an expensive decoy, and I also hope that he doesn't get the Zach Miller status. Zach Miller was considered one of the best TEs in the league when leaving Oakland, yet in our offense he was rarely used in the correct manner.

Ultimately I think we could use Lockett in a Percy Harvin role, an auxiliary player. I think he will excel at slants, hooks, and crossing routes, giving us a player that is reliable when we are going for 5 yards. He will also excel at screens, and end arounds, Lockett sets up his blockers well.

I'm not saying all of this just because he is a small receiver. There are great small receivers that demand double coverage, and respect. Golden Tate was a good example of this, he was around 5'11, yet he is very physical. He knows how to beat press coverage, he is very adept at going over DB's and hi pointing the ball, and he is very good at using his body to box out defenders. The skillset is the main thing I look at --- Lockett does not particularly physical, he is not that great at going over DB's and high pointing the ball or using his body to block out defenders. He struggles with press coverage sometimes, and he has the tendency to drop easy passes at times. I think he will a contributor, and I love the fact that he can fulfill multiple roles, but ultimately I think Lockett auxiliary receiver much like Percy Harvin was, though used in a slightly different role.

That is fine, but I don't think he will solve our biggest woes on offense.

I loved your post until you got to the Tate portion --since when did Tate DEMAND a double team? He had a career year last year on Detroit, but those are just numbers. Tate was an average NFL WRs, nothing more nothing less. It feels like the grass is greener effect --people now remember Tate as Calvin Johnson. Tate was average as a WR, I doubt anyone would consider him a #1 WR, never mind a man who demands double teams.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
plyka":13lj2n4e said:
Spin Doctor":13lj2n4e said:
chris98251":13lj2n4e said:
Actually I think we drafted him because more teams are going big CB, they don't have the FS to do what we do but are doing what they can to emulate a lot of what we do, in fact I heard a lot of people say that some CB's drafted are Safety Converts for that coverage reason deep.

Having said all that, Pete knows our weakness, he also knows that having a Lockette to exploit it on other teams will be a boon for us. Lockette may not have outside size but he can run it as well as Richardson and get deep on the Bigger CB's with a Jimmy taking the double off and doing the seam or crossing pattern.
Tyler Lockett is not the type of guy that does well against physical DBs, and bigger guys. In college he struggled with defenders that got physical against him. In the NFL he's going to struggle going against some of the more physical DBs in the game. A major weakness of his is going against press coverage. This is one of the reasons why I believe that he is more suited to playing the slot position, and why I don't think he's going to take Kearse's job on the outside any time soon.

We drafted Lockett because he is good at many different things. He is a special team ace that can return punts, and he is also a very good gunner. Not only that but he also gives us a boost in the short passing game. He's very adept at using his blockers to set up defenders. This means we can probably expect him on screens and pick plays. The Seahawks tried running these plays near the end of the season with mixed results. I also expect us to experiment with him as a deep threat, though I think this will be met with mixed results. Essentially he will free up three to four roster spaces assuming that Lockette doesn't make the team. Think about it, he will be a wide receiver, gunner, punt returner, and possibly even kick returner.

The reason why I'm not necessarily fired up about this pick is because his skillset is redundant in our offense. Doug Baldwin excels at many of the same things that Lockett does, and he is already one of the best slot receivers in the league. Richardson also has a similar skillset, albeit I think Lockett is more refined than Richardson is as a receiver. What Seattle is missing is a wide receiver that can play on the perimeter. Baldwin can, he just is not the best at it, and Kearse is probably our most inconsistent receiver on this team. He can either come up big or ruin the momentum of the offense. We do not have one player that consistently demands the opposing defenses respect. (One other negative that I will have to mention is his hands are not the best in the world. He's dropped some very easy passes in college, he also does not have a big catching radius.)

We do have Graham, but he was used in a unique fashion in New Orleans, and he wasn't necessarily a big time deep threat. He was more of a possession receiver, and red zone threat that could be moved around anywhere on the field. He's certainly going to help, but I believe we also need someone else to tip the field. I really hope that we do not use him like an expensive decoy, and I also hope that he doesn't get the Zach Miller status. Zach Miller was considered one of the best TEs in the league when leaving Oakland, yet in our offense he was rarely used in the correct manner.

Ultimately I think we could use Lockett in a Percy Harvin role, an auxiliary player. I think he will excel at slants, hooks, and crossing routes, giving us a player that is reliable when we are going for 5 yards. He will also excel at screens, and end arounds, Lockett sets up his blockers well.

I'm not saying all of this just because he is a small receiver. There are great small receivers that demand double coverage, and respect. Golden Tate was a good example of this, he was around 5'11, yet he is very physical. He knows how to beat press coverage, he is very adept at going over DB's and hi pointing the ball, and he is very good at using his body to box out defenders. The skillset is the main thing I look at --- Lockett does not particularly physical, he is not that great at going over DB's and high pointing the ball or using his body to block out defenders. He struggles with press coverage sometimes, and he has the tendency to drop easy passes at times. I think he will a contributor, and I love the fact that he can fulfill multiple roles, but ultimately I think Lockett auxiliary receiver much like Percy Harvin was, though used in a slightly different role.

That is fine, but I don't think he will solve our biggest woes on offense.

I loved your post until you got to the Tate portion --since when did Tate DEMAND a double team? He had a career year last year on Detroit, but those are just numbers. Tate was an average NFL WRs, nothing more nothing less. It feels like the grass is greener effect --people now remember Tate as Calvin Johnson. Tate was average as a WR, I doubt anyone would consider him a #1 WR, never mind a man who demands double teams.
I think you're underestimating Golden Tate. The way the Seahawks play is not conducive to producing big volume passing numbers, or producing wide receivers with big numbers. We are a run dominated team that likes to spread the ball out. As a result, Golden Tate's numbers suffered, especially since he was one of the only guys on our team that could have consistent production on the outside. Even at the end of Sidney Rice's tenure here Golden Tate consistently had coverage shaded to his side of the field. This trend continued until he left for a Lions, and even there he faced his fare share of double teams.

On the Lions Calvin Johnson was injured for 3 games, and spent a good portion of the season hobbled. Golden Tate actually shined the brightest when Johnson was injured. Teams doubled him consistently yet he still put up big numbers. Many people didn't realize it, but Tate was really a very good, very competent wide receiver. If Lockett provides what Tate provided to this offense I will be happy.

Mediocre receivers don't have the catch to target ratio that Tate had, nor do they earn 1330 yards even on a pass heavy team. Golden Tate also had 99 receptions, and a very healthy yards per catch average. Golden Tate also led the entire NFL in yards after the catch. This isn't a case of "the grass is greener" either, Tate is clearly better than any of our receivers on our team, and without him our passing game struggled immensely at times. This by no means is a knock on Baldwin.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
plyka":2xcpdijb said:
Hawks46":2xcpdijb said:
Well, I wanted Lockett pretty badly due to his return ability. Think about it: we just upgrade Walters roster spot with the top return man in college football, a ST gunner, and a very very productive WR as well. This guy has produced more than most of our WRs ever did in college, certainly more than Kearse, Norwood, Baldwin, and Matthews.

I would've liked to get Lockett and a few more picks ,but many mocks didn't even have Lockett reaching us in the 2nd round. And how many 4th and 5th round picks do we really think are going to make the team ? Remember we have Hill, Marsh, McCoy, and Simon all coming back from injury.

How many 4th, 5th and 6th rounders do we expect to make the team? KJ Wright (4th round), Richard Sherman (5th round), Kam Chancellor (5th round), Byron Maxwell (6th round) ---do I need to continue? The Hawks just spent a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 5th round pick on Lockette --so that's basically Russell Wilson, Kj Wright, Richard Sherman and Maxwell.

So you expect the front office to hit on those type of guys again In one draft that might not get to play because they will be behind a lot of our veterans. Richard and Maxwell were backups and got playing time when their starters were injured. If Pete knew they were good they would have started over their competition from day one.

Those picks could also be (3) John Moffitt (4) Mark Legree (5) Jesse Willams (5) jimmy Staten so if they felt that one guy is worth those picks then JS must love this guy and that's special because he wanted to draft Wilson in the earlier round, but Pete told him to wait, not in this case so Pete must really like this guy too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
plyka":1xm1tigb said:
Hawks46":1xm1tigb said:

I envy your optimism that EVERY player we would have chosen with the picks we traded would turn out to be All Pros.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but with how stacked our roster is, those picks would have been more along the lines of Kevin Norwood, Jimmy Staten and Chris Harper type players...........not the players you listed.

In order to turn into All Pros, you need to get on the field, and as Pete and John have said the past couple of years, it's going to be very hard for draft picks to see playing time on this roster.

We DESPERATELY needed a special player like Lockett to give us the dynamic PR/KR, slot receiver that runs perfect routes with separation. So I'm just fine with trading picks that if they're lucky might make special teams coverage units.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great pick, and the team flat out needed this guy. Glad the people who know what they are doing are making these picks, and not the fans :lol:

Smellyman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2u20imol said:
plyka":2u20imol said:
Hawks46":2u20imol said:

I envy your optimism that EVERY player we would have chosen with the picks we traded would turn out to be All Pros.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but with how stacked our roster is, those picks would have been more along the lines of Kevin Norwood, Jimmy Staten and Chris Harper type players...........not the players you listed.

In order to turn into All Pros, you need to get on the field, and as Pete and John have said the past couple of years, it's going to be very hard for draft picks to see playing time on this roster.

We DESPERATELY needed a special player like Lockett to give us the dynamic PR/KR, slot receiver that runs perfect routes with separation. So I'm just fine with trading picks that if they're lucky might make special teams coverage units.

What? All 11 picks would not have made the team?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Where is all the Tate talk coming from exactly?

Lockett is his own man. As a receiver, his skill set absolutely dwarfs Tate's at this stage in their careers. Tate was a unique cat. Trying to get the next Tate is like getting the next Wilson. We drafted the first Lockett.

Tyler will provide value in different ways. I fully expect him to be capable of producing in week 1. Lockett is also a prospect who very clearly commits to the details of his craft in a way that Tate did not. Although kudos to Tate for knuckling under and putting the work in after being drafted. But Lockett comes into this league already showing a high ability to improve at his craft.

Tyler looks like a player who will be a great prospect out of the box on his own merits. He'll bring a unique value all his own.

titan3131

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2zp4nvjd said:

Lockett is his own man. As a receiver, his skill set absolutely dwarfs Tate's at this stage in their careers. Tate was a unique cat. Trying to get the next Tate is like getting the next Wilson. We drafted the first Lockett.

Tyler will provide value in different ways. I fully expect him to be capable of producing in week 1. Lockett is also a prospect who very clearly commits to the details of his craft in a way that Tate did not. Although kudos to Tate for knuckling under and putting the work in after being drafted. But Lockett comes into this league already showing a high ability to improve at his craft.

Tyler looks like a player who will be a great prospect out of the box on his own merits. He'll bring a unique value all his own.

I personally see lockett as a tate/harvin hybrid with exceptional separation + route running skill.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":27e2kh5p said:

Just finishing the rest of your thoughts... he will so impress the coaching staff during the rookie mini-camp this weekend that he will get equal reps with the incumbent starters during training camp... like Wilson did with TJack and Flynn.

My expectation... Lockett will supplant Kearse in 3-WR sets on opening day.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying Lockett is an exact copy of Tate, nor are most of us coming to our opinion based on 1 clip. I've personally watched a lot of tape and I do agree that Lockett has more fluidity and quickness (which he uses a lot more often) but to act like he is just a "Finesse" guy and pretend he's not also physical and can't break tackles of his own doesn't make sense to me. However everyone has and is welcome to their opinion of course.

I think we didn't see more of Lockett's physicality because he didn't have a lot of opportunity to show it with the QB play and his tendency to rely more on his elite quickness and movement. However just because he doesn't use it all the time doesn't mean he doesn't possess a tough/physical side to his game that he can break out from time to time. Which is why a lot of people see Lockett as sort of a Tate/Percy mix. To me he plays with some of the physicality and chip of Tate with the speed and quickness of Percy and a better Football IQ and work ethic than either of them. I mean check out the clip below, #12 basically supermans all the way around Lockett as he sheds him off after that spin move.

h0mLPI7.gif

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smellyman":189rlbmc said:
Sgt. Largent":189rlbmc said:
plyka":189rlbmc said:
Hawks46":189rlbmc said:

I wasn't aware we traded 11 picks for Lockett.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I love this pick. Regardless of size, this guy has speed and, most importantly, seems to know how to get open. It's an almost impossible thing to measure, and if I had one knock on the current Seahawk WR's, it's that they often lack the ability to get open and separate from defenders.

This guy, IMO, brings back some of those elements that we had with Percy Harvin that WERE working for us. He should address the huge need we have for a Kick returner right away, and he brings a different type of dimension to our existing WR Corps.

I love the idea of having Kearse and Baldwin as the starters, with Matthews providing a nice combination of size and hands, then Lockett as a speedy slot receiver.

And I haven't even mentioned Jimmy Graham. Thinking about a 3 WR / 1 TE setup with Kearse/Baldwin/Lockett and Graham with Lynch in the backfield, that's a great group of pass catchers (love Lynch catching balls out of the backfield).

I was hoping before the draft that we would get either Lockett or Dorsett and am ecstatic that we got one of them!

Smellyman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":25yz9h2z said:
Smellyman":25yz9h2z said:
Sgt. Largent":25yz9h2z said:
plyka":25yz9h2z said:

I wasn't aware we traded 11 picks for Lockett.

C'mon man, that was sarcasm on your side. If we kept all 11 picks there was no way all of them make the team. People whining about trading the picks for Lockett are not very smart.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
DJrmb":281z3tx8 said:
I don't think anyone is saying Lockett is an exact copy of Tate, nor are most of us coming to our opinion based on 1 clip. I've personally watched a lot of tape and I do agree that Lockett has more fluidity and quickness (which he uses a lot more often) but to act like he is just a "Finesse" guy and pretend he's not also physical and can't break tackles of his own doesn't make sense to me. However everyone has and is welcome to their opinion of course.

I think we didn't see more of Lockett's physicality because he didn't have a lot of opportunity to show it with the QB play and his tendency to rely more on his elite quickness and movement. However just because he doesn't use it all the time doesn't mean he doesn't possess a tough/physical side to his game that he can break out from time to time. Which is why a lot of people see Lockett as sort of a Tate/Percy mix. To me he plays with some of the physicality and chip of Tate with the speed and quickness of Percy and a better Football IQ and work ethic than either of them. I mean check out the clip below, #12 basically supermans all the way around Lockett as he sheds him off after that spin move.

h0mLPI7.gif

Nice I was looking to see if he had spin moves, now I know

Mick063

Reaction score
When I read of the many folks talking about this kid as nothing more than a returner, I get a real understanding of the median knowledge level here.

This kid breaks ankles and flat gets open. Forget the smallish hands, it is his feet that creates his credible catch radius as he has the quickness to adjust on the fly.

This kid will eventually become a terror from the slot. Between him and Graham, the center of the field is going to be a nightmare for opponents.

It won't be long until we are collectively wondering why Baldwin is getting so much play. It won't be long until we start calling Paul Richardson nothing more than a depth player.

netskier

Reaction score
Mick, I agree and I will raise you that he will also be very very good on the outside too.

Latest posts