Play the "I'm Bevell" Game

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":nmix3ys5 said:
Keep running the ball. It took a two-and-a-half quarters, but they eventually wore down the Dolphins D and started to run the ball better.

More run plays = quicker wearing down of the opposing defense = more success running, which is when we can feast off play-action passing like we do when everything is going well.

I like it. Help insulate russell from hits early. The rams lost a lot of talent in the back end of that defense. SF of all teams exposed that monday. From the little bit that I watched, it seemed kearly and Gabbert were killing them.

On a side note, it seems russ has quite a chip on his shoulder over this injury thing. I like it. With all of the criticism this guy has endured, it takes people questioning his toughness and durability to bring out a beast in him. Pc said today that his attitude is great and that he is almost crazy in his determination to prove people wrong. So, I wouldn't take him out of the game completely.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":3355j2ku said:
dogorama":3355j2ku said:
No offense guys, and it's probably my fault as I referenced the Ram's line, but the game wasn't meant to be a game plan for the Rams but how you would adjust to a specific scenario if it occurred as a result of a similar situation.

As for it being "Bevell," it just means that you are the offensive coordinator, and, it is just a "game."
No apologies necessary, it's a fun scenario to yak about.

But I don't think the Rams, or anyone, will be able to put the Hawks into quite that dire of a Hell-like situation. In crunch time ADB is proven-clutch but the offense has a lot of weapons this year, especially given the now-massive run-first O-Line meeting the mostly pass-built D's on our schedule. Instead of going between the guards all the time, just hammer off tackle once in a while. Tuke and Vannet are all about hammering down on 'that action.'

It is just a game. I agree. I still stand by my knowledge level not being high enuff to Play. Sorry if I confused you too. Hope this ends well for you. And I did understand that it was the OC you were intimating. I just have a lot on my mind now.

Enjoy...

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1yr2bhx4 said:
LeftHandSmoke":1yr2bhx4 said:
dogorama":1yr2bhx4 said:
No offense guys, and it's probably my fault as I referenced the Ram's line, but the game wasn't meant to be a game plan for the Rams but how you would adjust to a specific scenario if it occurred as a result of a similar situation.

As for it being "Bevell," it just means that you are the offensive coordinator, and, it is just a "game."

But I don't think the Rams, or anyone, will be able to put the Hawks into quite that dire of a Hell-like situation. In crunch time ADB is proven-clutch but the offense has a lot of weapons this year, especially given the now-massive run-first O-Line meeting the mostly pass-built D's on our schedule. Instead of going between the guards all the time, just hammer off tackle once in a while. Tuke and Vannet are all about hammering down on 'that action.'

It is just a game. I agree. I still stand by my knowledge level not being high enuff to Play. Sorry if I confused you too. Hope this ends well for you. And I did understand that it was the OC you were intimating. I just have a lot on my mind now.

Enjoy...

No prob 80, I wasn't trying to single you out per se but just to note that I didn't want the thread to add anything to the ongoing Bevell controversy. That is another thread altogether.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1zde2wf3 said:
dogorama":1zde2wf3 said:

I apologize in advance for turning this thread in a different direction, but has anyone heard if Vannett will play or not?

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
If I was Bevell, I would continue to test every defense with deep horizontal passes that gains anywhere from 1 to 4 yards until you beat the defense into submission and score no more than 3 to 6 points in the first half, regardless how good the defense is that you are facing. In the second half, I would pray to the football gods that Wilson would audible all my calls so the Seahawks could actually be successful and score more points to make me look like an average OC.

I would purposefully ignore all vertical passing options including any play action to TE's. I would ask myself why I couldn't run a traditional screen or draw play after 4 years in my position. I would ask myself why I would consistently call empty sets on 3rd and short to take all the mystery out of a play call when my OL struggles against a good pass rush.

I would wonder why subpar teams can blow out teams like the Rams but never come up with an offensive gameplan in 8 tries that works well against that same terrible Rams team.

If I was Bevell...............................................

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
storm74":25hldz48 said:
If I was Bevell, I would continue to test every defense with deep horizontal passes that gains anywhere from 1 to 4 yards until you beat the defense into submission and score no more than 3 to 6 points in the first half, regardless how good the defense is that you are facing. In the second half, I would pray to the football gods that Wilson would audible all my calls so the Seahawks could actually be successful and score more points to make me look like an average OC.

I would purposefully ignore all vertical passing options including any play action to TE's. I would ask myself why I couldn't run a traditional screen or draw play after 4 years in my position. I would ask myself why I would consistently call empty sets on 3rd and short to take all the mystery out of a play call when my OL struggles against a good pass rush.

I would wonder why subpar teams can blow out teams like the Rams but never come up with an offensive gameplan in 8 tries that works well against that same terrible Rams team.

If I was Bevell...............................................

Oh well, I tried. LOL.

But seriously, you made a very strong argument for what doesn't work, but I have given the board not only an opportunity, but a specific scenario to create a series of play calls that you think will work. You could argue that the scenario presented isn't a fair example, but one could also argue that the development, or lack thereof, of the offensive line, was completely outside of Bevell's control.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2b67kds8 said:
TravTex":2b67kds8 said:
Bubble screens. Failing that, play action bubble screens.

5 yard slants...

Aren't these the things we've been trying to do against the Rams unsuccessfully for three years?

The Rams do what we do, press cover, suffocate the receivers and pack 8 in the box to stop the run and contain Russell.

Teams that have had success against the Rams D do exactly what the Niners did, run the ball right down their throat and play action down the field once the defense gets frustrated and starts cheating up to the line.

Our problem is Pete, Russell and Bevell get impatient and start getting throw happy. Which plays right into the Ram's D line, thus 5-6 sacks a game on Russell.

STICK with the run, even if it's not working. By the 2nd half that front 7 should be worn down enough for holes to start opening up.

mrt144

Reaction score
TravTex":ijffkfri said:
Bubble screens. Failing that, play action bubble screens.

Failing that, double secret double bubbles.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Are those of us playing this game required to run an empty backfield if we end up in 4th and inches? I ask because it sure would make it more difficult to get a first down to keep the drive going considering the defense would have absolutely no need to be concerned with oh, say a running play.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":26enopf7 said:
Are those of us playing this game required to run an empty backfield if we end up in 4th and inches? I ask because it sure would make it more difficult to get a first down to keep the drive going considering the defense would have absolutely no need to be concerned with oh, say a running play.

Another cynic, what a surprise. LOL.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
dogorama":250ju9g1 said:
hawksfansinceday1":250ju9g1 said:

Well, you essentially created a scenario in which

a. no time to pass
b. no room to run
c. no get out from the WRs
d. TEs and short/intermediate passes are covered.
e. qb can't roll out

You forgot:
f. 40 MPH wind and rain in your direction
g. for some reason you are going uphill at a 5% grade
i. the field is ice and the D has ice skates.

You essentially left open deep passes off a three step drop and a bunch of smarmy comments about the OC.

This is on you, sir.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1wedxg9j said:
dogorama":1wedxg9j said:
hawksfansinceday1":1wedxg9j said:

Well, you essentially created a scenario in which

a. no time to pass
b. no room to run
c. no get out from the WRs
d. TEs and short/intermediate passes are covered.
e. qb can't roll out

You forgot:
f. 40 MPH wind and rain in your direction
g. for some reason you are going uphill at a 5% grade
i. the field is ice and the D has ice skates.

You essentially left open deep passes off a three step drop and a bunch of smarmy comments about the OC.

This is on you, sir.

I was being facetious about the cynic remark, not critical, and I think you are completely wrong about the scenario I presented and in fact it isn't terribly unlike what happened last week.

But thanks for the criticism, I was just trying to do something that I thought would be fun, it won't happen again.