Play the "I'm Bevell" Game

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3g4dok3o said:
dogorama":3g4dok3o said:
hawksfansinceday1":3g4dok3o said:
Are those of us playing this game required to run an empty backfield if we end up in 4th and inches? I ask because it sure would make it more difficult to get a first down to keep the drive going considering the defense would have absolutely no need to be concerned with oh, say a running play.

Another cynic, what a surprise. LOL.

Well, you essentially created a scenario in which

a. no time to pass
b. no room to run
c. no get out from the WRs
d. TEs and short/intermediate passes are covered.
e. qb can't roll out

You forgot:
f. 40 MPH wind and rain in your direction
g. for some reason you are going uphill at a 5% grade
i. the field is ice and the D has ice skates.

You essentially left open deep passes off a three step drop and a bunch of smarmy comments about the OC.

This is on you, sir.
And on top of it I played it straight up above.
Let me ask you this dogorama: what percentage of high school OCs, let alone other pro OCs, in this country do you think would call an empty backfield set on 4th and inches?

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":207bmifv said:
I think we already tipped our hand with Pete saying Rawls is starting AND re-signing Tukuafu.

We're gonna try and do what the Niners did, go two TE and run the ball right at the Rams interior. This also plays into some play action down the field with our speedy WR's.

I approve of this scheme, make it so #1.

FIFY! IDK why that's such a pet peeve of mine but it is. Lynch did some resigning while Will re-signed. :141847_bnono:

Stick to the game plan regardless of it's effectiveness. Get tricky by being totally obvious about your play calling, Let Wilson bail you out with audibles in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Seems to be Bevell's MO regardless and that's why we all love to hate on the guy! :roll:
:34853_doh:

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":jirwlkm6 said:
Uncle Si":jirwlkm6 said:
dogorama":jirwlkm6 said:
hawksfansinceday1":jirwlkm6 said:
Are those of us playing this game required to run an empty backfield if we end up in 4th and inches? I ask because it sure would make it more difficult to get a first down to keep the drive going considering the defense would have absolutely no need to be concerned with oh, say a running play.

a. no time to pass
b. no room to run
e. qb can't roll out

You forgot:

You essentially left open deep passes off a three step drop and a bunch of smarmy comments about the OC.

This is on you, sir.
And on top of it I played it straight up above.
Let me ask you this dogorama: what percentage of high school OCs, let alone other pro OCs, in this country do you think would call an empty backfield set on 4th and inches?

I totally get your response but I don't think that was in response to the scenario I presented but your overall frustration w/Bevell's play calling. I think the other so-called "smarmy" responses were also about Bevell and not the scenario. Having said that, if you have read many of my posts you would see that I share your frustration at times but I go back and forth w/it. In either case, the thread was NOT about Bevell's play calling but just a game to create play calls that address a specific situation.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
dogorama":14b2y0bl said:
Uncle Si":14b2y0bl said:
dogorama":14b2y0bl said:
hawksfansinceday1":14b2y0bl said:

a. no time to pass
b. no room to run
e. qb can't roll out

You forgot:

This is on you, sir.

I was being facetious about the cynic remark, not critical, and I think you are completely wrong about the scenario I presented and in fact it isn't terribly unlike what happened last week.

But thanks for the criticism, I was just trying to do something that I thought would be fun, it won't happen again.

try a tissue i guess?

Obviously i was kidding. I even provided a pass option. (Baldwin's catch against the Broncos)

Also, all 5 of my restrictions a-e were taken directly from your initial post.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
dogorama":1ulu4m9g said:
........if you have read many of my posts you would see that I share your frustration at times but I go back and forth w/it...........
Likewise. I'm not a constantly hammer on him kind of poster here. However, that situation was so bad IMO that I simply couldn't help myself in this thread.

A

Anonymous

Y'all should try usig the smilies more often.

I know it's not very easy to select them on a phone, but typing the code out is.

:thcoffee:

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
Uncle Si":kg03is7g said:
a. no time to pass
b. no room to run
e. qb can't roll out

try a tissue i guess?

Obviously i was kidding. I even provided a pass option.

Also, all 5 of my restrictions a-e were taken directly from your initial post.

Backpedal a little? Actually, you editorialized a-e

a. I never said no time to pass, I said 1st option covered and "you don't have time for routes to develop" i.e. downfield passes

b. I didn't say "no time to run," I said the O-Line wasn't getting any push and you were getting a decent run every once in a while but mostly short gainers.

c. Where did I say "no get out from the WR's" I said the first option was often covered.

d. Never said anything about the TE's.

e. I did say the QB couldn't roll out and that was pretty obvious in the game.

My response to you is basically you are off base here, the "smarmy" comments were NOT in regard to the scenario I presented but posters frustration w/Bevell's play calling. In fact, many of the posters responded w/classic NFL solutions to this scenario, e.g., screens, draw plays, TE hot route slants, etc. Then HH went all Chip Kelly 2.0 on us and presented an inventive and exciting solution. There were others too. The point becomes that once you use their strength against them all of the other options open up also. I could have presented a much easier scenario and then you can just do whatever you want to. What fun is that?

kf3339

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1j9ulqdn said:
Easy.

Play action deep passes on quick counts set up by an occasional up-the-middle run.

Passes over the top after looking off the safety in hopes of a one-on-one completion, a penalty, or incompletion. WR's rotate through on the way back up-field, and every so often, slip two tight ends into the formation for crossing/natural picks, outs, or wheel routes to the (watching) RB's.

30% success rate over three downs. Odds in your favor, creates fatigue in the secondary and pash rush 3techs. Limits defensive line substitutions.

Fast pace. Always fast pace. Limit motion and when fatigue sets in you toss in the occasional hard count on seconds and thirds to keep the rush in check and also troll for penalties. Offensive assistants need to focus on matchups and feed the rooks to the OC via headset before the play calls.

Piece of cake.

You're being too logical here. We are talking about Bevell.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":4houkk10 said:
This is a trick question... Bevell never adjusts!
I guess you haven't paid attention to our second halves in say ... the last 4 years!

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":w9mjuydh said:
brimsalabim":w9mjuydh said:
I guess you haven't paid attention to our second halves in say ... the last 4 years!

You know, we just can't get away from it here (the whole Bevell thing), but that's okay, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just wish everybody would start to find some humor in it so we could get back to talking about what we all love, football. (And yes, I'm probably as guilty as anyone.)

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2u32p9ec said:
dogorama":2u32p9ec said:
........if you have read many of my posts you would see that I share your frustration at times but I go back and forth w/it...........
Likewise. I'm not a constantly hammer on him kind of poster here. However, that situation was so bad IMO that I simply couldn't help myself in this thread.

Actually, I was waiting for the classic solution to a pass-rush happy D-Line and you were the first to bring it up.

hawksfansinceday1 wrote:

Traditional screen passes after inviting their D-line by "missing" blocks.

Also continue with short and intermediate routes because they are working and try to drive the field in that fashion.

Also some traditional draw plays to Rawls.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
dogorama":kdpueyte said:
hawksfansinceday1":kdpueyte said:
dogorama":kdpueyte said:

Actually, I was waiting for the classic solution to a pass-rush happy D-Line and you were the first to bring it up.

hawksfansinceday1 wrote:

Traditional screen passes after inviting their D-line by "missing" blocks.

Also continue with short and intermediate routes because they are working and try to drive the field in that fashion.

Also some traditional draw plays to Rawls.
I would like to see more traditional screens from this team. We might with Rawls too as we did some last year before he got hurt.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
storm74":3hoaf42l said:
If I was Bevell, I would continue to test every defense with deep horizontal passes that gains anywhere from 1 to 4 yards until you beat the defense into submission and score no more than 3 to 6 points in the first half, regardless how good the defense is that you are facing. In the second half, I would pray to the football gods that Wilson would audible all my calls so the Seahawks could actually be successful and score more points to make me look like an average OC.

I would purposefully ignore all vertical passing options including any play action to TE's. I would ask myself why I couldn't run a traditional screen or draw play after 4 years in my position. I would ask myself why I would consistently call empty sets on 3rd and short to take all the mystery out of a play call when my OL struggles against a good pass rush.

I would wonder why subpar teams can blow out teams like the Rams but never come up with an offensive gameplan in 8 tries that works well against that same terrible Rams team.

If I was Bevell...............................................

Then, Storm made one the most well-written critiques of Bevell I have ever read, but embedded in his satirical review was this little gem of insight:

I would ask myself why I couldn't run a traditional screen or draw play after 4 years in my position.

Something we would all like to know, especially since we have in Rawls a RB ideally suited to it.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
dogorama":3ar31dak said:
Siouxhawk":3ar31dak said:
brimsalabim":3ar31dak said:

You know, we just can't get away from it here (the whole Bevell thing), but that's okay, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just wish everybody would start to find some humor in it so we could get back to talking about what we all love, football. (And yes, I'm probably as guilty as anyone.)
Actually dogorama, I really like this scenario game you present. It gets you thinking.
I tell you, one thing I really love about our team is our ability to finish. I'd say we are the best in the NFC in that all-important category.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
The hellish scenario depicted is in the oft-recited LHS 16:2

If thou keep knocking on the Bevell's door, sooner or later he’ll invite thou in.

chris98251

Reaction score
If I am Bevell I ask Pete to ask John to find the next Marshawn Lynch and trade for him, or make a trade for AP with the Vikings, we know he loves Vikings players. After all it took Bevell asking for a power back the first time to make his offense work.

That's if I was Bevell.