Play the "I'm Bevell" Game

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2kbtw5xq said:

It was a "Pretty good Rams v Hawks preview" but it is an excellent "review" of the Miami game. Immediately after the game, I posted a thread that the story of the game was that their DC out coached our OC but in Bevell's defense he wasn't given a lot to work with. Posters argued that wasn't the story of the game pointing to our winning drive, but what I was trying to infer was how the game played out, not the defining point of the win. Take out the two-minute drive at the half and the game-winning drive and this is what happened:

Seattle’s staunch defense played up to par on Sunday, but their offense was lackluster. Miami’s defensive coordinator Vance Joseph did an excellent job of disrupting Seattle’s offensive line and cooking up coverage schemes to slow down Wilson’s aerial assault. Joseph did not allow the Seahawks to take shots down the field like they need to, instead forcing Seattle to throw shorter passes and hope that his defenders could rally to the ball, and they did.

What really hurt us this game was we weren't able to get any explosive plays. That is what we are known for and IIRC we lead the league in them. In fact, the OC game scenario I presented at the start of this thread was a pretty accurate depiction of what was happening for 90% of the game as the aforementioned drives only accounted for six minutes.

A couple of posters pointed out that a solution to the scenario would be screens, draw plays, and hot routes to the TE. This is a game where we really could have used a 100% J Graham and as another poster so aptly pointed out, for whatever reason, we haven't ever utilized traditional screens and draw plays into our offense. Yes, they're boring but in specific situations they work and it is just another tool to keep defenses off balance. I get that we are terrible at them but is because we never use them or probably even practice them from the look of things.

Lastly, I think any game planning has to include plays that are designed to compensate for inadequate O-Line play but it has to be more than just bubble screens and quick outs, as the Miami game has shown us those plays can be contained if that is all you are using. Less predictability, please!

just my 2c

hawk45

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1g1pj212 said:
brimsalabim":1g1pj212 said:
This is a trick question... Bevell never adjusts!
I guess you haven't paid attention to our second halves in say ... the last 4 years!

Yeah bevell adjusts like a boss, he just can't pregame plan his way out of a wet paper bag resulting in the sacrifice of an entire half of offense in order to "feel out" the defense or "set something up" for the second half.

Except during those two stretches, one in Russ's first year and one last year, when it all clicks and not even God can stop our offense.

Granted bevell is working with a brand new OL every season that takes 8 games to edge upward from historically bad.

On topic, the Sgt plan seems pretty good. If we are going to fail to score in the first half we may as well do it as we pound the run.

However that approach carries with it the high possibly of not passing on first down and therefore a lot of obvious third down passing situations which will play out like a snuff film starring Wilson.

So I'm kind of favoring a lot of passes early in series where it might not incur the full wrath of their DL and sprinkling in the run later. Essentially the plan we used in Miami which I though was a pretty decent one by bevell and would be much more celebrated were it not for some bad execution here or there.

I am fully okay with a stagnant first half this game. If i see three runs in a row or even bubble screens I'm fine as long as eventually they start using the middle more in the quick passing game as last week.

hawk45

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":1c8hr4dd said:
White Devil":1c8hr4dd said:
Bubble Screens.

If I'm Bevell, the answer is always, Bubble Screens.

Oh but don't forget the draw plays to trick em on 3rd and long!
This game I'm a fan of the third and long draw to protect the QB.

capncrunch

Reaction score
Yeah. I'd like to develop the passing game to the running backs and tight ends. Lots of Jimmy and Prosise . Les penalties and turnovers.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
capncrunch":3tr673kn said:
Yeah. I'd like to develop the passing game to the running backs and tight ends. Lots of Jimmy and Prosise . Les penalties and turnovers.
Funny, it's what the Rams are likely to try too since half their passing yards against the 9ers came that way, on only about a quarter of their targets. That, and it's where the Phins had some success against the Hawks.

So, pass plays to RBs and TEs may play into both teams' plans in LA.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Whether you can't stand Bevell or think he's at least adequate, don't expect any changes with either his system or him being here. Carroll will never fire him.

To the OP's question, I would like to see more crossing routes, quick slants, pick plays, more complex route trees, more off tackle designed runs, rollouts, and run/pass options. And more than anything, a quicker tempo and the most logical playcalls for the particular situation-no more "surprise" plays that are designed to supposedly get the defense off guard, Just go with strength vs. strength and the odds should be in our favor with the weapons we have.

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":z0k4e5r3 said:
Whether you can't stand Bevell or think he's at least adequate, don't expect any changes with either his system or him being here. Carroll will never fire him.

To the OP's question, I would like to see more crossing routes, quick slants, pick plays, more complex route trees, more off tackle designed runs, rollouts, and run/pass options. And more than anything, a quicker tempo and the most logical playcalls for the particular situation-no more "surprise" plays that are designed to supposedly get the defense off guard, Just go with strength vs. strength and the odds should be in our favor with the weapons we have.

Thanks for playing the game and staying on topic TX. I have been critical of Bevell before too but to be so obsessed that you can't even discuss anything is a bit over the top. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but that belongs in a thread where we are actually discussing the relative merits of his play calling. An argument could be made that I left myself open by putting his name in the subject line but I think I made it clear that it was a game where you are the OC. Besides, if you are going to criticise w/o offering an alternative what is the point?

Having said that, you made some very good calls and I thought your overall scheme to move fast was good and in fact, shared by other posters.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
+1 to the 'quicker tempo' suggestions in a quick-release sense. They tried that last week too but it will be even more imperative tomorrow against the Rams given the obvious, added concerns with RW this time and with the struggles by our LT, LG, and RG last week; and with RG Webb now hobbled with an ankle, likely trying to slow Aaron Donald down. The Rams will dictate a lot of what works, it's up to Bevell to try to help the guys counter the surely-heavy pressure the Rams will bring.

I'm actually a little concerned about RW's safety this week, things could get even worse if he's not careful enough.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
It seems unlikely (because who would they have to risk on waivers) that they will promote Pericak from the PS to the 53. And so if Webb's ankle means he can't hold enough low-pad leverage against the likes of Donald then what is the emergency plan? Rees?