Players on roster who can push this team over the hump

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2syei7jf said:
scrummymustard":2syei7jf said:
On the offensive side of the ball, I think right up there with our OL problem is our bad red zone offense. We need to do better at converting TDs and with Graham now 18 months out from surgery he should be even better. Really hope we actually use him to his potential this year. We lost a lot of close games last year where we just could not convert in the RZ and had to settle for field goals.
He was used about as well as he could be used last year coming back from that awful injury, but I'm with you in figuring he should have a solidly productive season.

We will unfortunately forever agree to disagree on him being used correctly last year, heck even since he has been here. We need to stop treating him solely as a TE, especially in the RZ, and it starts with splitting him out. If that means Kearse or another WR goes off the field, so be it, we have Willson to block, but he has not been used to his potential, regardless of injury. We struggled mightily down there and he was literally on the field in the RZ, so I can't get on board that his injury had anything to do with his usage, he had nearly 1,000 yards, we just for some reason, don't use him to his strengths like New Orleans did.

TDs/game:
NO: .654
SEA: .296

Yards/game:
NO: 60.9
SEA: 56.6

The yards a game really aren't a huge difference, but we desperately need to improve his utilization inside the RZ, his biggest strength. He was/is one of the top mismatches in the NFL, lets hope we start using him as such.

Some RZ stats from 2016:
Red Zone Scoring Attempts per Game: 8th in NFL
Red Zone Scores per Game (TDs only): 19th in NFL
Red Zone Scoring Percentage (TD only): 25th in NFL

Better RZ play last year would have resulted in a 2 seed and us hosting Atlanta instead of traveling there. Here's hoping for some better/more designed opportunities going forward with him.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Comparing his usage in New Orleans to the philosophies that dictate our offense will always lead to misguided conclusions. The point is he is going to be healthy from training camp this year, has more time in our system and will be one of our primary playmakers. I'm looking forward to a big year from him.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Can i say prosise based on his short tenure last year?

The guy is a super star who i think will usurp lacy in just a couple weeks. If he didn't get hurt he was set for a massive two week stretch stat line between NE and Phi. Lacy will be the pulverizer dishing the body blows but CJ will be the one to make the plays that take us over the hump.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Optimus25":3k5qdxjp said:
Can i say prosise based on his short tenure last year?

The guy is a super star who i think will usurp lacy in just a couple weeks. If he didn't get hurt he was set for a massive two week stretch stat line between NE and Phi. Lacy will be the pulverizer dishing the body blows but CJ will be the one to make the plays that take us over the hump.

It'd be pretty depressing if we're benching Lacy only after a couple weeks, or diminishing his role and carries two weeks into the season.

But yes, Prosise should emerge quickly as the 3rd down and long yardage back from the very start of camp. But make no mistake, Pete is going to give Lacy every opportunity to carry the load, early and often.

IMO it's the most important factor of the 2017 season............can we get back to our physical pound the rock style of offense.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Obvious answers are McDowell/whoever wins CB2 on defense and one of the OL additions.

We're seriously that close to being a serious contender for another championship. If they find their tenacious pass rush/DL rotation again and get SOME continuity on the OL and play like a Top 20 unit .. they can easily win 12/13 games and be in the mix for HFA. From there, we usually get to the Super Bowl under such an equation.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
chet380":3jlyt3pc said:
Lacy -- IF he can get under 230

That's lighter than when he came into the league. I guarantee that's far too low for him or the team to be hoping he plays at.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":vbl0b088 said:
Comparing his usage in New Orleans to the philosophies that dictate our offense will always lead to misguided conclusions. The point is he is going to be healthy from training camp this year, has more time in our system and will be one of our primary playmakers. I'm looking forward to a big year from him.

Huh? Comparing him to New Orleans, when he was all pro and leading the entire NFL in touchdowns, which is basically why we traded a 1st to get him after the super bowl debacle, and then not using him for that purpose is basically our offensive RZ philosophy in a nutshell. The conclusion is that we can do better, it's frustrating and makes little sense, but let's hope it changes this year.

I can agree that we are both looking for a big year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bighawk

Reaction score
I will try to narrow it down to 2 Fant if he can lock down the LT job with his added bulk and strength that would help immensely then Put Joekel at left guard where according to Cable he played as well as anybody.

McDowell has the skill set to take our front four to another level. My man was hurt all year long his coach said it, Carroll said it so to you doubters maybe that is the reason he didn't play as well. He's 20 and this rare talent will dominate. :stirthepot:

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":t2hmprs7 said:
Earl Thomas.

Getting him back means more than any newcomer.

1. Earl
2. Lacy
3. Graham

All 3 could have All-Pro caliber seasons.

HawkGA

Reaction score
bighawk":37jpqfkw said:
I will try to narrow it down to 2 Fant if he can lock down the LT job with his added bulk and strength that would help immensely then Put Joekel at left guard where according to Cable he played as well as anybody.

McDowell has the skill set to take our front four to another level. My man was hurt all year long his coach said it, Carroll said it so to you doubters maybe that is the reason he didn't play as well. He's 20 and this rare talent will dominate. :stirthepot:

How is that limiting down to 2? You mentioned 3 . . . . . . :327321_Spy_23.22:

xgeoff

Reaction score
Any four of the following offensive linemen:

George Fant
Mark Glowinski
Germain Ifedi
Luke Joeckel
Jordan Roos
Ethan Pocic
Oday Aboushi
Rees Odiambo
Jordan Roos
Justin Senior

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Russell Wilson.
For as good as he's been, he needs to put the offense on his back and carry them.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1t26q0a7 said:
Russell Wilson.
For as good as he's been, he needs to put the offense on his back and carry them.

The case could be easily made that he did that in the latter half of '15 and all of '16. To gut out those kinds of injuries and still have the success he did is really amazing.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3h1r5nqr said:
Wilson has never carried the team? Hmmmm

No, the defense carries this team. We're going to need more than 21 passing touchdowns this season to get over the hump.

As I said, Wilson has been great for us, and yes we all know that the o line stinks and doesn't help him out. But for the salary he's getting as a franchise QB, he needs to be that much more elite. Without our defense, we would see more games like the Nightmare at Lambeau last season. The offensive productivity was putrid in too many games last season, and Wilson being the signal caller means he bares the responsibility of making sure the offense does better than 19th in average points per game