Players you Love that the Seahawks won't Draft

Erebus

Reaction score
nanomoz":2f30cduv said:
Javon Hargrave. I really think he could have a Rocky Bernard-like career. Crazy body control on film for a 300 pound dude.

What makes you think he won't be a Seahawk?

cover-2

Reaction score
Here are a few other players I like that I don't think the Seahawks will select...

DE Lattimer : Big, mean, bully on the field. Negative - he has off-field concerns that will push him down the draft board.
[youtube]bsFBYq_h_J0[/youtube]

LB/S Bobby Bushay: Bushay is an explosive hitter and sets the tone on defense. Negatives - he is undersized and he does not have experience dropping back into coverage.
[youtube]VSulFZ7XJ1U[/youtube]

two dog

Reaction score
kearly":3ap8bv7g said:
two dog":3ap8bv7g said:
My regard for Tyler Ervin is documented in several posts but I was somewhat surprised
that Henry's 10 yd. split was just 4/100ths less than that of Ervin despite a 55 lb. difference in
their weight.

Good thoughts. I agree with McGruff, most of the players you like will probably at least be on Seattle's radar, including Henry.

Regarding the quoted text, I would say there is an important distinction between a 1.56 and 1.61 split. It may only look like a .05 second difference, but if you rank all draftable halfbacks and assign them a percentile based on their 10 yard split the past several years, Henry is probably ~25th percentile and Ervin is probably ~70th percentile. Henry's 4.54 40 time would probably be 50th percentile while Ervin's 4.39 would probably be about 85th percentile (I'm estimating on these numbers).

Basically, one RB is poor to average and the other is very good to elite in those areas. And that's not even getting into field speed which Ervin has an insane amount of. Ervin feels more explosive than Christine Michael on tape (Michael's ten yard split was 1.49) and has C2k in his prime exhibitions of speed.

The problem with Henry isn't just what he can't do, it's that what he can do well doesn't really mesh with Seattle's apparent strengths. Henry needs a very specific type of environment to have success, and it's not only Seahawks fans that are saying this. Countless analysts have mentioned this, most recently X's and O's guru Greg Cosell.

Cosell compares Derrick Henry to DeMarco Murray. Putting aside that this is a very generous comparison (Murray ran a 4.41 with a 1.55 split), it is useful because even for as talented as Murray is, we have seen first hand evidence of how drastically his results changed when he moved from Dallas to Philadelphia. Did Philadelphia expose Murray to be a fraud of a RB? Not at all. It simply underscored the need for the right RB to be in the right system.

Henry was a beast at Alabama because he was the epitome of an Alabama RB. He fit their system like a glove. If you could replicate that system, with a bunch of badass offensive lineman and a highly effective inline blocking scheme, with full backs and tight ends making major contributions in the run game, basically a team like Dallas in 2014 or SF from 2011-2013, then Henry will end up being just as good for that team as he was for Alabama.

It's nothing against Henry, but Seattle is not even remotely close to being that team. Our TEs mostly suck at blocking. Our fullbacks have been mediocre and are both currently free agents. Our offensive line was on pace to be historically bad in the first half of last season before going to spread looks. Even with Marshawn Lynch at RB, our inline running game was terrible. Basically, the last thing we want is to return to inline power football, until there is a dramatic improvement in blocking personnel.

That's why I'm against the pick. It's not so much a knock against Henry. I think he could be great for the right team. I just think Seattle is the worst case scenario for him and vice-versa, especially if it forces Seattle into more inline blocking looks which were so disastrous in 2015.

Of course, PC/JS do not always agree with me, and I think for Pete the idea of being the big bully on the block is really hard for him to let go of. Also, there is a very slight concern on the existing roster about power running, as both Rawls and Michael were mediocre in obvious rush situations last year. If Henry falls far enough, I think he becomes a person of interest for Seattle, even though, in my opinion, he should not be.[/quote

You have obviously done a much more in-depth analysis of Henry than I have, or am really capable of, so
I will concede all these points without argument. After reading all your points I am left with one over riding
thought. I would not trade our defense for Dallas's offensive line.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Su'a Cravens, Mackensie Alexander, Hunter Henry, Miles Killebrew, Keanu Neal, Thomas Duarte

UDFA - Jakeem Grant

xgeoff

Reaction score
Denver Kirkland. The Seahawks won't draft him but based on the tape I've watched I really like how he plays. I actually don't know if he'll get a shot to play T in the NFL but he's the kind of active, agile and powerful guy I would want as a T. It may not show as a measurable, but the NFL is full of guys who make it despite the lack of good measurables.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Andrew Billings
Javon Hargrave

I don't think we take Billings because of where he'll go. I think we take him at #56 but don't expect him to fall to there.

Hargrave I absolutely love. Best interior pass rusher IMO. But I think he'll fall under the 'sub 33 inch arms' rule. Seattle doesn't make exceptions very often to their physical ideals.

penihawk

Reaction score
I'm sure they like him but I doubt enough to take him where he will be drafted

nanomoz

Reaction score
Erebus":5k2uovxx said:
nanomoz":5k2uovxx said:
Javon Hargrave. I really think he could have a Rocky Bernard-like career. Crazy body control on film for a 300 pound dude.

What makes you think he won't be a Seahawk?

Doesn't he lack length? Aren't his arms kinda short? I thought I read that somewhere.

cover-2

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":10wlretg said:
McGruff":10wlretg said:
penihawk":10wlretg said:
TJ Green & Darion Thompson

I think Green is definitely in play for Seattle.
I hope so, but as a CB. I think he could man that other side quite well.

Yeah, I've read that a number of teams like TJ Green more as a CB than as a Safety. I'm really intrigued with the thought of converting him to CB, but I just can't see us taking a CB in the 1st or 2nd round.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
cover-2":1my8n1ff said:
TeamoftheCentury":1my8n1ff said:
McGruff":1my8n1ff said:
penihawk":1my8n1ff said:
TJ Green & Darion Thompson

I think Green is definitely in play for Seattle.
I hope so, but as a CB. I think he could man that other side quite well.

Yeah, I've read that a number of teams like TJ Green more as a CB than as a Safety. I'm really intrigued with the thought of converting him to CB, but I just can't see us taking a CB in the 1st or 2nd round.
I could because I think there's better draft value at other positions later. There are some good DB prospects and I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of a run on them in the early rounds.

randomation

Reaction score
Tanner McEvoy but I don't know if he will get drafted by anybody so maybe UDFA /hope

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
randomation":shnh93et said:
Tanner McEvoy but I don't know if he will get drafted by anybody so maybe UDFA /hope
I'm definitely intrigued by him. You're right, though. No guage on if he will get drafted. I think he needs to land on a team like Seattle that would look to maximize his skills.

Latest posts