Playoff picture-who to root for next week-

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Basically boils down to wanting nfc teams with bad records to beat nfc teams with good records. Too far out to start rooting for certain afc teams to get matchups we want in the postseason. That will come with about 3 weeks left. I watch football all day sunday and track most teams, especially our upcoming opponents (weaknesses, strengths, playmakers etc), so I figured I would share. This is just so we have the best chance at getting the 1 seed and HFA. Yes, this info is easy to find and figure out, but now you can be lazy. It will get more complicated and subjective the closer we get and include AFC. For now I have left off AFC-AFC games. Each week will be rated as a differential. This way, even if we lose, but have a +4 differential on the teams we needed to lose/win, it's not as bad.

Tonight:
bengals-giants
ROOT FOR: BENGALS -1

Thursday:
saints -panthers
ROOT FOR: PANTHERS +1

Sunday:
10:00:

cards-vikings
ROOT FOR: VIKINGS +1

bears-giants
ROOT FOR: BEARS-1

jaguars-lions
ROOT FOR: JAGS-1

bucs-chiefs
ROOT FOR: CHIEFS-1

ravens-cowboys
ROOT FOR: RAVENS-1

1:00

dolphins-rams
ROOT FOR:DOLPHINS+1

pats-9ers
ROOT FOR: 9ERS 0*

packers-redskins
ROOT FOR:pACKERS+1

eagles-hawks
ROOT FOR: DERP +1

AlciG

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2uugnnfo said:
pats-9ers
ROOT FOR: 9ERS

packers-redskins
ROOT FOR:pACKERS

I feel very dirty for doing this... go 9ers :pukeface:

BUT... I could never in good conscience root for the Packers :rumble:

Followthelegion

Reaction score
I think the 'who to root for' question is slightly more nuanced...for instance the NFC East is at this stage looking likely to get both wildcard spots with Dallas winning the division.

In my mind Seahawk fans should be rooting for (in order):
1. Seahawks winning (well duh)
2. Cardinals losing
3. LA losing
4. Dallas losing
5. Other first round bye contenders losing [at the moment this looks like the cluster of Atlanta, Lions, Vikings]

As the weeks go by hopefully number 4 on the list rises up to number 2 on the list!

Steve2222

Reaction score
Why would the 49ers beating the Patriots benefit Seattle?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Steve2222":1olj26ej said:

In my humble opinion, it would show that they are vulnerable. Even watching them play vanilli with us, maybe they would show something else that we may want to plan for next meeting.

EDIT......Cant find Derp on the schedule. Will keep looking.

Polaris

Reaction score
Actually if San Fran loses (virtually certain IMHO given they play the Pats), and we win, then San Fran will be the first team in the NFC eliminated from it's divisional race and will be within a game or so of being eliminated altogether.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Followthelegion":4yrrh4lu said:
I think the 'who to root for' question is slightly more nuanced...for instance the NFC East is at this stage looking likely to get both wildcard spots with Dallas winning the division.

In my mind Seahawk fans should be rooting for (in order):
1. Seahawks winning (well duh)
2. Cardinals losing
3. LA losing
4. Dallas losing
5. Other first round bye contenders losing [at the moment this looks like a clusterf**k of Atlanta, Lions, Vikings]

As the weeks go by hopefully number 4 on the list rises up to number 2 on the list!

That is what my list already says.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Steve2222":15pw3dmi said:
This is the only one up there that wants an NFC divisional to win. I would like to keep the pats out of HFA. Let them be tired out like we might be when we see them in the Super Bowl. Niners are damn near eliminated, so I made the call.

StoneCold

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1n21orck said:
The NFL is playing on Saturday this week?

I noticed that. Typo? Inquiring minds want to know and don't want to google.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
StoneCold":11lpup07 said:
MontanaHawk05":11lpup07 said:

Competition with badminton and table tennis is getting rough...although there will be football on Sunday. It is a typo.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1zry0i2b said:
StoneCold":1zry0i2b said:
MontanaHawk05":1zry0i2b said:

Competition with badminton and table tennis is getting rough...although there will be football on Sunday. It is a typo.

Full on brainfart. Typo would have been more understandable. I corrected it.

byau

Reaction score
johnnyfever":1ac3rpa4 said:
Steve2222":1ac3rpa4 said:
This is the only one up there that wants an NFC divisional to win. I would like to keep the pats out of HFA. Let them be tired out like we might be when we see them in the Super Bowl. Niners are damn near eliminated, so I made the call.

This is a strange one, because the more wins the Patriots get, the stronger our win against the Patriots is, and that's also a tiebreaker in there somewhere.

The only reason you'd want the Patriots to not get HFA is because you don't want to meet them in the SB and that's a lot farther down the line.

I'd rather the Seahawks get the strongest possible chance to get HFA and the Patriots winning out makes our win against them stronger at this point which will possibly count for something.

Polaris

Reaction score
It does. Strength of opponent wins is something like fifth or sixth in the tiebreakers. I remember last year when we were trying to chase down Arizona that this tiebreak was potentially important.

kidhawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":23vjl9dx said:
Steve2222":23vjl9dx said:

You may feel free to root how you see fit, but as far as I'm concerned, there's really no reason to root against any AFC teams. We face who we face when the superbowl comes. Both sides will have had 2 weeks since their respective championship games, so neither will be overly tired or worn out IMO.

Unless we are playing them I generally root for AFC teams over NFC teams, but in this particular match-up, it really makes little to no difference in the playoff outcome as it's HIGHLY unlikely we'd need a strength of victory tiebreaker considering we have a tie, and I'm not worried about the Niners making the playoffs. It would be nice to see the Niners be eliminated from the playoffs, and it's always nice to NOT root for the Niners, so in this instance, I think it's safe to just root against the team you like the least and for me that's the Niners.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Polaris":19ipfwyk said:
It does. Strength of opponent wins is something like fifth or sixth in the tiebreakers. I remember last year when we were trying to chase down Arizona that this tiebreak was potentially important.

The likelihood of us needing a tiebreaker of any sort is very low, and to need that many tiebreakers is insanely unlikely. Our tie with the Cardinals means that it's unlikely we'll need any tie breaking scenarios this year.

byau

Reaction score
kidhawk":3ujw6shp said:
Polaris":3ujw6shp said:

The likelihood of us needing a tiebreaker of any sort is very low, and to need that many tiebreakers is insanely unlikely. Our tie with the Cardinals means that it's unlikely we'll need any tie breaking scenarios this year.

Every bit helps though and I can't see any upside to having the Pats losing.

Optimus25

Reaction score
byau":vanmg2yw said:
johnnyfever":vanmg2yw said:
Steve2222":vanmg2yw said:

This is a strange one, because the more wins the Patriots get, the stronger our win against the Patriots is, and that's also a tiebreaker in there somewhere.

The only reason you'd want the Patriots to not get HFA is because you don't want to meet them in the SB and that's a lot farther down the line.

I'd rather the Seahawks get the strongest possible chance to get HFA and the Patriots winning out makes our win against them stronger at this point which will possibly count for something.

Let me go full wrapped around the axles here.... Wouldn't sf winning increase our sos especially since we play them twice?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Steve2222":1pb3w5kg said:

Besides knocking the Patriots down a peg and making an easy playoff schedule a little harder for them, it also knocks SF down a pick or two in the draft. Right now they're in contention for the number one overall pick, should Cleveland get a win or two.