Playoff picture-who to root for next week-

byau

Reaction score
Optimus25":2ses6w72 said:
byau":2ses6w72 said:
johnnyfever":2ses6w72 said:
Steve2222":2ses6w72 said:
Why would the 49ers beating the Patriots benefit Seattle?
This is the only one up there that wants an NFC divisional to win. I would like to keep the pats out of HFA. Let them be tired out like we might be when we see them in the Super Bowl. Niners are damn near eliminated, so I made the call.

This is a strange one, because the more wins the Patriots get, the stronger our win against the Patriots is, and that's also a tiebreaker in there somewhere.

The only reason you'd want the Patriots to not get HFA is because you don't want to meet them in the SB and that's a lot farther down the line.

I'd rather the Seahawks get the strongest possible chance to get HFA and the Patriots winning out makes our win against them stronger at this point which will possibly count for something.

Let me go full wrapped around the axles here.... Wouldn't sf winning increase our sos especially since we play them twice?

I think a win over a 13-3 type team probably counts more than 2 wins over a 3-13 team even if that 3-13 team beats the Pats?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
If you believe Seattle will once again beat SF in their final game against eachother, then you want SF to beat the patriots as it would bump up the strength of schedule.

That being said, Seattle plays SF at the end of the year in the final game so there is a slight chance it could be a meaningless game; Seattle's tie makes that unlikely for seeding, but it's possible.

IMO Root for the Patriots to win, just in case that happens, and to save yourself some grief - because there is no way the 49ers are beating the Patriots.

It's worth nothing also that seattle's two wins over SF directly affects SF SoS. so Really it's pretty close to a wash either way.

Personally i want to play NE in the Superbowl. So I'll be pulling for them to get there.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I want to play NE as well, but it would be nice if they had to play a bit on the road in the playoffs as that is a definite possibility for us as well. I think we are more immune to fatigue of being on the road than most teams as of late.

When we get to 3 to 4 games left on the schedule is when we have to start looking at AFC standings from a matchup perspective. 6 weeks from now teams can look a lot different due to injuries and settling into personnel and scheme. We are good at adjusting mid season so I like our chances in a weird year that many of the teams we thought would be world beaters are struggling (cards, pack, panthers, vikings, etc).

That is why, for now, just mainly looking at NFC except for the 9ers. Hard to say for sure at this point who would benefit us the most in the 9ers pats game as it could play out either way as far as SOS.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Erebus":2qlwv2a6 said:
The upside to rooting for the 9ers is so hopefully Chip Kelly keeps his job another year.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

sam1313

Reaction score
byau":te815a6k said:
kidhawk":te815a6k said:
Polaris":te815a6k said:
It does. Strength of opponent wins is something like fifth or sixth in the tiebreakers. I remember last year when we were trying to chase down Arizona that this tiebreak was potentially important.

The likelihood of us needing a tiebreaker of any sort is very low, and to need that many tiebreakers is insanely unlikely. Our tie with the Cardinals means that it's unlikely we'll need any tie breaking scenarios this year.

Every bit helps though and I can't see any upside to having the Pats losing.

Don't know if anyone else said this but it does give the Niners a higher/lower draft pick.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Well, pretty even so far, differential down abit but we won so great weekend. Really need to root for the redskins to close it out.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Crizilla":1vah4n6a said:
Too early for this stuff. Calm down

Yeah, everyone is just flipping out. Might want to take your own advice brah. Don't click just to troll.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
johnnyfever":g50xi99h said:
Basically boils down to wanting nfc teams with bad records to beat nfc teams with good records. Too far out to start rooting for certain afc teams to get matchups we want in the postseason. That will come with about 3 weeks left. I watch football all day sunday and track most teams, especially our upcoming opponents (weaknesses, strengths, playmakers etc), so I figured I would share. This is just so we have the best chance at getting the 1 seed and HFA. Yes, this info is easy to find and figure out, but now you can be lazy. It will get more complicated and subjective the closer we get and include AFC. For now I have left off AFC-AFC games. Each week will be rated as a differential. This way, even if we lose, but have a +4 differential on the teams we needed to lose/win, it's not as bad.

Tonight:
bengals-giants
ROOT FOR: BENGALS -1

Thursday:
saints -panthers
ROOT FOR: PANTHERS +1

Sunday:
10:00:

cards-vikings
ROOT FOR: VIKINGS +1

bears-giants
ROOT FOR: BEARS-1

jaguars-lions
ROOT FOR: JAGS-1

bucs-chiefs
ROOT FOR: CHIEFS-1

ravens-cowboys
ROOT FOR: RAVENS-1

1:00

dolphins-rams
ROOT FOR:DOLPHINS+1

pats-9ers
ROOT FOR: 9ERS 0*

packers-redskins
ROOT FOR:pACKERS+1

eagles-hawks
ROOT FOR: DERP +1

Ended up even with a win, depending on how you saw the 49ers pats game. Good weekend!