Playoff Seeding Scenarios

W

Welshers

It's looking like we could be in a very similar situation to where we were at the end of last season. Last season we lost to the 49ers and had to go on the road to the NFC East champ who was the weak Eagles. If we had won we would have hosted a better Minnesota team at home. This season if we lose to the Rams and lose the division we likely go on the road to the weak NFC East champ. If we win we likely play the much tougher Bucks or Rams or Cards at home. So, the same as last season, it might actually be an easier path to get a wildcard instead of winning the division. HOWEVER I still want to win the division even if it means a harder game in the WC round. I always want to WIN something. The division champion banner is no joke. It means we win something this season if we come up short of the SB. And it's always better to play at home.

So I totally get where people are coming from when they say we are better off with the wildcard and going to the NFC East. But personally I always want to win and I want to win the division. Even if we don't get the bye but sneak into the 2 seed that could mean potentially playing at home through the whole playoffs if the 1st seed loses.

There is also a scenario where we get the 1st seed:

We win out.
Saints lose to Vikings or Panthers.
Packers lose to the Bears (GB losing or winning to Tennessee doesn't effect the Seahawks).

It's a long-shot but it's definitely possible. So we are still at play for that holy grail bye.

Let's win out and see where it puts us

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Wenhawk":19cikd99 said:
I think pack would have to lose out.
Sorry I think you are correct. I said if Pack lost to Tennessee or Chicago we would overtake thembut I think they would have to lose to both. The tiebreaker stuff gets really muddy and I have heard people say it both ways. The ESPN playoff machine says both the Saints and the Packers would win tiebreakers with us if we finish at the same record so maybe that is the most accurate (although i remember it messing things up last year). Bummer, those boneheaded losses to the Giants and Cardinals are really going to bite us. Also I hate that they took a bye week away so there's only one bye. It means it's all the more likely that something as important as a bye week comes down to a dumb tiebreaker for two teams with the same record. Not a fan of this new format.

renofox

Reaction score
If GB loses to Chicago and Seattle wins out, Seattle wins the tiebreaker and gets the 1 seed. A loss to the Titans is meaningless in relation to Seattle.

This assumes the Saints also lose 1 of their 2 remaining games (Vikings, Panthers) as they have the tiebreaker over Seattle.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

renofox":1nn5v2l4 said:
If GB loses to Chicago and Seattle wins out, Seattle wins the tiebreaker and gets the 1 seed. A loss to the Titans is meaningless in relation to Seattle.

This assumes the Saints also lose 1 of their 2 remaining games (Vikings, Panthers) as they have the tiebreaker over Seattle.
Thank you!!! I have heard so many different things on the tiebreaker, but this makes sense. I made this scenario work on the ESPN Playoff Machine so I think you are correct. This makes me feel better then needing the Pack to lose both remaining games. I think we have a real chance. Of course the Saints losing to the Vikings or Panthers is unlikely. But anything can happen in the NFL and I figure a Chicago vs GB rivalry game will always have a chance to be competitive

OP
OP
W

Welshers

It's also worth noting there are scenarios where we jump to the 2 seed and play the Rams again just two games after playing them next week. This would be a terrible draw for us as they have seemingly had our number lately. If the season ended today 3 NFC West teams would be in the playoffs.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Good to know.

Honestly, it doesn't matter who we play or where we play. Seattle will steamroll any opponent in their path to winning the Superbowl.

If we get the #1 seed, its just one last team we have to embarrass. Good luck NFL. We ready.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Another thing lost in the Jets beating the Rams is there is a chance the Niners game won't mean anything to the Seahawks in regards to seeding. Entirely possible (if they beat the Rams of course) that by gametime they are locked into the #3 seed. Wouldn't be the worst scenario in the world to be able to rest some players.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

iigakusei":8mpow9nb said:
Another thing lost in the Jets beating the Rams is there is a chance the Niners game won't mean anything to the Seahawks in regards to seeding. Entirely possible (if they beat the Rams of course) that by gametime they are locked into the #3 seed. Wouldn't be the worst scenario in the world to be able to rest some players.
Great point. We can kind of manufacture our own bye week. Hopefully Pete is willing to do that as I believe he has had the win no matter the situation mentality in the past

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Welshers":howt354p said:
iigakusei":howt354p said:
Great point. We can kind of manufacture our own bye week. Hopefully Pete is willing to do that as I believe he has had the win no matter the situation mentality in the past

The 49ers are eliminated. A win vs LA means at a minimum #3 Seed. GB and NO both play at 10:00 AM so our potential fate as #3 could be sealed, if both teams had won their Week 16 game too.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Wenhawk":2rufirkq said:
Welshers":2rufirkq said:
iigakusei":2rufirkq said:

The 49ers are eliminated. A win vs LA means at a minimum #3 Seed. GB and NO both play at 10:00 AM so our potential fate as #3 could be sealed, if both teams had won their Week 16 game too.
hopefully if we get there we chose to sit everybody. I think I recall Pete playing our guys in a game like that in the past. I could be wrong