Please Pete, Fix our OL Next Year

Basis4day

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3tagfnz4 said:
Aros":3tagfnz4 said:
I'm watching the Thursday Night Cowboys vs Bears debacle and it makes me angry to see that wall of protection Romo has on nearly each and every play. It's a WALL. He has all the time he needs to sit back, comfortably survey his options, and throw. You see this often around the league with the top passers in the NFL. Well no wonder they are averaging over 300 yards passing, and from the pocket. They have PROTECTION.

The day Russell Wilson is afforded the same luxury will be a very fine day indeed.

It's not all on the pass protection. The "top passers" take more chances than Russell is shown to take. Its a huge reason they throw for 300 yard games for the win on some days, and 300 yard games for the loss on others. Until Wilson feels comfortable making these types of throws below, whether it's the receivers or him, he'll keep playing it safe, protect the ball, and rack up 200 "safe" yards in the air and 50+ yards on the ground.

He's specifically coached to be safe. It's not a matter of Wilson being comfortable making them.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2kdk6t3c said:
It's not all on the pass protection. The "top passers" take more chances than Russell is shown to take. Its a huge reason they throw for 300 yard games for the win on some days, and 300 yard games for the loss on others. Until Wilson feels comfortable making these types of throws below, whether it's the receivers or him, he'll keep playing it safe, protect the ball, and rack up 200 "safe" yards in the air and 50+ yards on the ground.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/540788582105878529[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/540788685008928769[/tweet]

That's really not great to see. Absolutely has to pull the trigger there, huge amount of space for him to throw it to and Doug to make the adjustment. Don't get a lot of opportunities like that. Oh well, at least we won.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I'd love an OL like Dallas, but I'd settle for one with continuity. Injuries have been brutal this year, which has been a big problem. Keep in mind that Britt is a rookie and can grow, which I think he will. His problem isn't ability, it's consistency and experience.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Aros":2m36ap93 said:
I'm watching the Thursday Night Cowboys vs Bears debacle and it makes me angry to see that wall of protection Romo has on nearly each and every play. It's a WALL. He has all the time he needs to sit back, comfortably survey his options, and throw. You see this often around the league with the top passers in the NFL. Well no wonder they are averaging over 300 yards passing, and from the pocket. They have PROTECTION.

You mean the same Tony Romo who hasn't sniffed a Super Bowl? Or Tom Brady, who hasn't sniffed one in a decade since his defense declined? While Russell Wilson, Aaron "Sack-A-Minute" Rodgers, Eli Manning who won a Super Bowl off an epic Wilson-like scramble-and-throw after an offensive line failure, and two other teams with notably bad pass protection have been the ones hoisting the Lombardi for the last six seasons?

What you're seeing with Romo is not NFL-standard. It's far above. And it simply doesn't have all that strong a correlation with winning Super Bowls. In fact, if the last six seasons are any indication, it doesn't have one at all. QB play (an INDEPENDENT factor from OL play, believe it or not) and defense are much stronger indicators.

Dallas has done little to show me that they'll be doing anything but their usual January postseason collapse. They haven't even secured the playoffs yet. And c'mon, Aros...it was the BEARS.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":38m6w5rw said:
A stud WR or TE that can separate and catch wouldnt hurt either. Romo has all of the above.

I disagree that he has a TE that can separate and catch.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":3jm9ggq0 said:
Recon_Hawk":3jm9ggq0 said:
Aros":3jm9ggq0 said:

The day Russell Wilson is afforded the same luxury will be a very fine day indeed.

He's specifically coached to be safe. It's not a matter of Wilson being comfortable making them.

Wilson was making these same throws last year. I highly doubt coaches are telling him not to make this attempt to our best receiver for a huge play down field.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3sjcwnrp said:
Aros":3sjcwnrp said:

You mean the same Tony Romo who hasn't sniffed a Super Bowl? Or Tom Brady, who hasn't sniffed one in a decade since his defense declined? While Russell Wilson, Aaron "Sack-A-Minute" Rodgers, Eli Manning who won a Super Bowl off an epic Wilson-like scramble-and-throw after an offensive line failure, and two other teams with notably bad pass protection have been the ones hoisting the Lombardi for the last six seasons?

What you're seeing with Romo is not NFL-standard. It's far above. And it simply doesn't have all that strong a correlation with winning Super Bowls. In fact, if the last six seasons are any indication, it doesn't have one at all. QB play (an INDEPENDENT factor from OL play, believe it or not) and defense are much stronger indicators.

Dallas has done little to show me that they'll be doing anything but their usual January postseason collapse. They haven't even secured the playoffs yet. And c'mon, Aros...it was the BEARS.
That was Dallas's shining moment, up next is Philadelphia and Indianapolis, they should lose both and so goes another season in the tank for the Cowboys. Oh yeah, the Bears are really bad, I would say horrifically so.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2bp9krjw said:
Recon_Hawk":2bp9krjw said:

That's really not great to see. Absolutely has to pull the trigger there, huge amount of space for him to throw it to and Doug to make the adjustment. Don't get a lot of opportunities like that. Oh well, at least we won.

When I saw an all-22 clip from the 49ers game when Wilson did his magical escape act and found Moeaki for a 15-yard pass that Moeaki turned into a 63-yard gain, I noticed something similar.

If Wilson had thrown the ball a bit further inside and about 15 yards deeper, Baldwin was ridiculously open. No one with 10 yards of him on any side, maybe more. If he hits Baldwin on that play, it's a TD.

615_Eye_Week14B_9_120414.gif

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Getting a line like the Cowboys' is something that takes years. They started assembling their current line several drafts ago, and they really hit on all their recent O line picks. Even if the Hawks made the commitment now to fielding a good O line, they are years (assuming they don't screw up their picks) away from it being a reality.

themunn

Reaction score
volsunghawk":365gbh8i said:
SomersetHawk":365gbh8i said:
Recon_Hawk":365gbh8i said:

When I saw an all-22 clip from the 49ers game when Wilson did his magical escape act and found Moeaki for a 15-yard pass that Moeaki turned into a 63-yard gain, I noticed something similar.

If Wilson had thrown the ball a bit further inside and about 15 yards deeper, Baldwin was ridiculously open. No one with 10 yards of him on any side, maybe more. If he hits Baldwin on that play, it's a TD.

True - but also remember it's a third and long so Wilson's eyes are on the guys who are near the marker. Moeaki right beyond the marker so he's an easy first down. Hell, that play WAS a TD

volsunghawk

Reaction score
themunn":1zgq7l8f said:
volsunghawk":1zgq7l8f said:

True - but also remember it's a third and long so Wilson's eyes are on the guys who are near the marker. Moeaki right beyond the marker so he's an easy first down. Hell, that play WAS a TD

Understood, but considering Wilson's angle, I don't know how he wouldn't see Baldwin when he was in the same throwing lane... just a bit further down the field. I suppose it's possible that one of the defenders blocked Wilson's view of Baldwin, and Moeaki presented a big target at a 1st down distance.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":psiciw1o said:

Wow, that's even more glaring.

I'm taking these two clips as evidence that Doug Baldwin also slept with Ashton.

Jokes aside, that really is a bad decision, can you imagine how excited Doug would have been feeling right there as Wilson breaks free? I sort of feel bad for him.

StoneCold

Reaction score
volsunghawk":vsoeop8r said:
SomersetHawk":vsoeop8r said:
Recon_Hawk":vsoeop8r said:

WOW! There is obviously a problem between RW and ADB. He must be sleeping with RW's ex. :0190l:

Largent80

Reaction score
The Moeaki catch was a TD, Pete didn't challenge it and he would have won it. He needs to open his eyes.

jblaze

Reaction score
Our offense is a run first offense and they're all there because they're above average at run blocking. Pass protection is a bit of an afterthought in this type of offense.

Also I think RW actually is better when he's on the move, can do his Houdini escapes and make things happen in broken plays. I think his height requires him to find throwing lanes and move a bit as opposed to sitting behind a huge line and DL and see and throw over the top of them.

Lastly I would rather see us not spend the bank on an OL and be average than be Dallas in a few years having so pay all these guys along with Romo, Dez, Murray, etc. Most of their cap will be spent on their offense and their defense will be terrible.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Or if Baldwin actually tries to block the defender thats chasing Moeaki, it's a TD. Talk about not earning your paycheck on that play.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Receivers don't always get seen, but for a guy as up his own ass as Doug is, it's unacceptable for him to literally stand and watch a defender run by him like that. Way to have your teammates back.

Largent80

Reaction score
If we are talking wr blocks. How about the beauty that Kearse laid on nobody to get RW almost decapitated?

The door can't hit him in the ass hard enough once this season is a wrap.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Any NFL QB, would look good with decent pass protection. Just ask Matt Moore, Kyle Orton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Schaub, and Rex Grossman. Give any QB time to throw and find receivers, they will slice and dice you.