Poll: After two years at two positions, what is Britt?

What position is Britt better suited for

• Guard

Votes: 51 86.4%
  • Tackle

Votes: 8 13.6%

• Total voters

seahawks08

Reaction score
Patriots and Seahawks have not invested in the OL. If you draft so late and if you kind of look for unique skills and not position need, you will not have a good Oline as the rest of the league. The philosophy of investing in core players if you notice are mostly on defense. I believe defense do wins championships but we definitely need to invest in OL and blocking TE's. If our Oline can hold up and we generate enough offense, our defense will not have to hold up the fort for that long and can play freely rather than have their ears pinned in the back trying to defend a goal line. I think as all great coaches, Pete will evolve and change where he will invest in the Oline more than anything this season around, i just hope he doesn't go overboard with it We need a great veteran leader, a solid pass protector and a groom some draft picks. Tall order for sure, but I think we can do it. Can't be mre excited for the next season.

Davidess

Reaction score
I believe Britt would suit better as a swing T like bailey was this year and part of last year. let him develop as a solid back up/short term starter. that being said. hes played in the NFL for two years now and has played two different positions, that's kind of hard to pick up right away. I think giving him a chance is needed.

A lot of people have been talking about K. Short being one of the better DTs in the league but then bring up the fact that Britt got hosed by him constantly. well I sure hope you weren't expecting brilliance with a 1st yr LG because that's what he essentially was. give him a full offseason at LG to see how he does.

Optimus25

Reaction score
MysterMatt":1f47wxzb said:
I really thought things were starting to click for him at G, but holy CRAP, he really struggles in pass pro. I hope that can be fixed, because he certainly has all the tools.

But this is exactly what we said after last year, which i thought pre empted the move to guard, which would presumably expose him to less athletic pass rush.

Basically we have a solid run blocking lineman who is a giant liability in pass pro. If we're moving to a spread offense Bevell better Damn well incorporate quick passing and multiple check down routes.

Here's my ideal line i guess, not ideal perfect but ideal realist

Gilliam Lt
Glow lg
Mack c. Money saved from lynch and okung
Sweezy rg
Britt rt

With the asterisk that we focus our draft on O and D line, therefore competition could take anyone but Mack. Also finding that LT of the future is paramount throughout the draft/ free agency process. Also feel free to substitute mack for any other big FA that okung frees us up to strike for. Lewis steps in with no Mack, and new FA fills accordingly.

I just don't see the difference in britt between the two positions so far. He was an instrumental part of our rushing attack both seasons, and in both seasons we were run first. Also, my eyes tell me both lynch and rawls got going behind the respective side britt was on.

So if he's going to cancel out either way, why not put him in the spot harder to fill from FA?.

PS. I used to be on the okung train, but seeing new England and green bay this year literally fall apart due to OL injuries has me thinking health is equally important to skill. Okung just can't keep up.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I think some have the Carolina game to fresh on thier minds. The line was looking much better the second half of the season outside the Rams game and also played much better in the 2nd half of the Carolina game with better cleats and some understanding of the field conditions. Erase the first half from your memory because the field conditions had more to do with how it played out then the players on the field.

I think this fix started out of necessity. Trying to move in the direction of better health. It's also why I believe Okung won't be back. It's also why I think they didn't go after Wisnewski even at 2 mill. I wish they would have just like I wish they had re-signed Gaukamini (sp) but I understand why they didn't.

We had some major bumps to start last season and the schedulers didn't help us any front loading our schedule with mostly dominant front 7's but through all of it we were healthier than any recent year with the biggest exception being once again, Okung. Hopefully the health continues and we see improvement to go along with it.

Better center play would go a very long way to improving Gaurd play as well. Is Lewis the answer would be the question I would be asking. A good center makes a ton of difference as long as he can stay healthy.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Saw something from I think it was Hawkbkigger floating the idea of Britt at Center. Had not heard that before. Thoughts?

Mojambo

Reaction score
Way too early to give up on Britt. He was a developmental guy who got put in the starting lineup too soon, at the wrong position, and then got switched to the correct position (guard) on a DIME right before playing a brutal early season schedule alongside a ridiculously green Center... and he survived.

If he gets some stability around him, he'll be a fine player.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm actually stoked about Britt moving forward. 2016 will be his first full offseason at guard. I expect a big jump in his game, mentally. Physically, he's probably one of the best athletes at guard this franchise has ever had.

I think he's going to be really good in 2016. *shrug*

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
He's a guy who is legitimately at a crossroads.

He's at a point where he could blossom. Lots of players take 2 years to get good in this league. Kawaan Short is the flavor of the month today, but until this third year, he's been barely as good as Jordan Hill. Consider that in 17 games played, Hill recorded 7 sacks in his first two years. Short played 32 games in his first two years and had only 5 sacks. Short had over three times the snap counts that Hill had. Short was pretty meh in years one and two.

Britt's far enough along that Seattle is obliged to acquire a very legitimate prospect this March/April. Because if he doesn't blossom, then we will no longer be grooming a replacement, but playing one.

He has some flexibility. At worst, he's a swing OT/OG. Even if his final two seasons are just merely that -- that's a valuable role for Seattle.

His draft stock to me is just a sunk cost. Two years down the line, it doesn't matter to me how we acquired him. Nor does it factor in what/where he is at this moment.

It's put up or shut up time for him. And time for Seattle to double down and have a legit replacement ready to go by end of September.

titan3131

Reaction score
I predict we compete @ guard and he loses his job and is delegated to backup.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
RT. Too big for a guard IMO with Wilson. The saints draft shorter guards for a reason. He was bad this year

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I believe he's a G but he needs to work hard on his technique b/c he sure whiffs a lot in pass protection. He's going to have to compete to just keep a roster position this coming offseason. The idea floating that he should be a RG instead of a LG is interesting and might need him slimming down a bit so he moves better b/c at present he looks to be be very slow footed.

At present he is not a great deal better than the backup depth the team has and may easily be relegated to being a backup. If that were to happen I suspect the team would try to unload him.

Rob12

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":iy8rbtxg said:
Is he better suited at tackle or guard? I'm not as down on Britt as some, and would like him to compete for a starting job next season. To me, I think he looks better on the interior. I don't think he's quick enough to play tackle in the league. He has a long way to go, but hopefully he can focus on one position. He has some mauler potential. I really hope he can put it together and be a quality starter.

He has a long way to go. It's hard for me to not to believe that he's easily one of the worst starting offensive lineman in the league. Through his first two years, he doesn't look like he has it.

Hope I'm wrong.

As to the question at hand, he's a guard, and a back up one at that. Just not quick enough, and looks lost far too often. He whiffs on blocks routinely.

We need to upgrade from Britt. I am not so sure that he has a place on the 53 man roster next season if we're serious about improving the line.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Sometimes I wish Cable was hired away simply so we could go to a slightly simpler blocking scheme.

In my opinion our seeming preference for having hyper athletes on the offensive line doesn't mesh well with the complexity of Cable's zone blocking program. I get that if the SPARQster's get it, they kill at it. But guys like Sweezy and Britt just aren't fulling getting it, and blown assignments really make the offense more inconsistent than it should be.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Mojambo":wdnb730l said:
Sometimes I wish Cable was hired away simply so we could go to a slightly simpler blocking scheme.

In my opinion our seeming preference for having hyper athletes on the offensive line doesn't mesh well with the complexity of Cable's zone blocking program. I get that if the SPARQster's get it, they kill at it. But guys like Sweezy and Britt just aren't fulling getting it, and blown assignments really make the offense more inconsistent than it should be.
When it comes to OL coaches, I too am not particularly attached to ZBS. Just give me a coach that has shown success at turning an OL around. Seems like ZBS is still confusing for some of our guys. Callahan is one of the best OL coaches out there, but I'm not sure his demeanor and coaching style blends with what Pete wants.