Positives from this game

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
It's easy to shoot from the hip and say how terrible a game this was, how we 'deserved' to lose this one, how we're gonna get shellacked by any 'good' teams from here on out. But the simple fact of it is there are a lot of positives to take from the game, and far more positives than '7-1'.

Division momentum

As the final seconds ticked down and we watched, fists clenched or fingers crossed, hoping against hope our defense would be able to come up with one last stop and prevent the Rams from running the ball two more yards when they'd run roughshod on us all day, our NFC West opponents were watching, fists clenched or fingers crossed, hoping against hope the inept Rams would be able to score on a single play against one of the toughest defenses in the league to prevent us from staying near-perfect on the season, and perfect in the division. When we sank to our knees in relief, they sank to their knees in anguish, knowing the Rams had let one slip through their fingers that affected the entire division, not just the Seahawks. The Rams were so close to going to .500 and staying in the hunt. The Cards were so close to staying a game closer to the hunt. The 49ers watched in horror as the Seahawks stayed a crucial game up on them in the west instead of seeing them tied for first place in both record and division record. This was a big one, and it sucker-punched our divisional foes in the gut.

Ugly learning experience

This win did not feel like a win, neither to the fans nor to the Seahawks players. It was ugly. There were a lot of flaws exposed and bad play exhibited and things that need to be addressed and fixed. They're going home feeling like they lost, but bolstered by the fact they gutted out a win when they should have lost. They get the good points of a loss, but coupled with the attitude that comes with consistent winning and knowing they're getting the job done on the scoreboard. A lot of things to learn. A lot of things to fix. And just as everyone may point to this win as a game that exposed a plan on 'how to win against the Seahawks', well, if that's 'how to win against the Seahawks', it was still a plan that came up five points short. And, of course, it doesn't take into consideration any adjustments the Seahawks might make to counter that plan.

Back out of the spotlight

The Seahawks have played this entire year so far in the spotlight. They've been the hot team, the team other teams were gunning for, because they were among the very best. This game, while changing in favor of the Seahawks in the standings column, did little to keep a target on their backs. Sure, the defense was stellar; two turnovers, three sacks, and nine points allowed. But 'lucky' takes the spotlight off them. 'Lucky' keeps their standings where they need to be, but takes the focus off them. Sure, they're still going to be called one of the best teams in the league. A 7-1 record will do that for any team. But it'll take some of the heat off, and that's nice, especially heading into a home game against a weaker opponent.

Road record triumphs

Say what you will, but at the end of the game, the Seahawks had the better score, and came away from St. Louis with a 4-1 road record through five games. The worst they can do this year on the road is .500, something most teams would love to accomplish. They're also 3-0 in divisional play, and 2-0 on the road in the division, meaning the worst they can do in the division is .500, with only one divisional game left on the road. To be in this position at this point in the season is something none of us would have called, and all of us would have loved to see at the halfway point in the season.

First half vs. second half of the season

7-1. This means we'd have to go 1-7 the second half of the season not to have a winning record this year. Our chances at making the playoffs have got to be pretty damned high right now. Our chances to win the division have also got to be fairly high. And our chances at home field throughout the playoffs are better than most. Our season was heavily tilted toward road games the first half of the season, and heavily tilted toward home games the second half. Most everyone agreed that if we could weather the storm early and escape with a decent enough record early, we'd rebound in the second half. Well, we weathered that storm with a single loss. On the road. Against an AFC division leader. At 10:00 AM. And we still almost won that one. But for a couple of plays, we're still perfect on the season, something no one called.

Let down/trap game

Yep. Classic signs; classic symptoms. And we still won. There were a lot of overconfident folks before this one, and that included Seahawks players. St. Louis was more concerned about baseball, nobody was gonna show, the Rams suck, etc., etc., etc. Well, St. Louis was fired up about baseball, and that carried over to the football stadium as well. Most of the crowd was wearing red baseball gear. The Rams did suck, but they switched up what they had been doing to attack our strengths and exploit our weaknesses. They caught us off guard and played the better game. And they still lost! We still won! It was a classic trap game and we still came out on top. Good teams do that: weather the adversity, and win the games that matter.

This was a good game. Arguably it was exactly the game we needed this week.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Its a win. On the road. Those aren't easy in this league. The Rams didn't sweep the division as their fans were saying they would all offseason.

I'll happily take it and move on to destroy the Bucs.

kearly

Reaction score
Usually you don't get a wake-up call moment while still winning. This game will probably shape the next offseason as much as the Atlanta game did last year.

drdiags

Reaction score
Bruce Irvin is the real deal. His coverage was a little spotty at times but so is the rest of our LBs at times.

The NASCAR package can be ran on but that is the tradeoff to get the pressure. Figured it would show up sooner or later. Pick your poison. But that is a negative so disregard.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I appreciate the 'back out of the spotlight' segment.

As well as the overall well-reasoned and not knee jerk OP

mikeak

Reaction score
Tate can turn back and make a great play

Also runs relatively fast while taunting

Also has great field presence so he doesn't step out of bounds

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think we all were guilty of seeing "Bradford out, Clemens in" thinking it would be a demolition. I know I predicted a 42-0 ass kicking.

Clearly.. that was ignorant. The Rams gave us fits last year even at full strength on the OL. The Rams gave the Niners fits, and arguably could have swept them a year ago. We should have known it would be a defensive struggle.

Anyway.. all that said. As UGLY as a win as this was. It was a win. This isn't the BCS folks. 7-1 is 7-1.

Remember Percy Harvin is coming back, quite possibly on Sunday. Russell Okung and Breno Giacomini likely in a couple of weeks. The remaining schedule is soft and has 5 of 8 games at Century Link. If we hold serve at home as we should, we're looking at 12-4 AT THE WORST. That's if you think we will lose to the likes of the Falcons and Giants or a 49ers team we've had a ton of success against.

bigwrm

Reaction score
mikeak":128zn19i said:
Tate can turn back and make a great play

Also runs relatively fast while taunting

Also has great field presence so he doesn't step out of bounds

They need to add a 40yd dash while taunting as a new drill at the combine.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
There were positives? I wish I could state some, but man I just have a bitter taste in my mouth about this game.

OrFan

Reaction score
Our defense was great when it counted. Not once did they get a touchdown. To be able to keep any team, especially a division rival, to three field goals is outstanding.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
I was going to point out that there were no major injuries, but then I remembered that Rice crapped out his knee again.

I fear that if this is a significant knee injury that this could be the beginning of the end for Rice as a Seahawk.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Positives:

Earl Thomas played a great game.

Bruce Irvin's pick.

Goal line stand.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bruce is legit. He's not a factor player yet, but heading towards it. He's getting several splash plays every game, while playing surprisingly solid in all aspects for a second year guy in a new position with little to no college coaching.

Earl is flat out outstanding, and is consistently a part of our biggest plays.

It not a positive, but it is an observation . . . Lynch should be pissed as he'll at Bevell.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Golden Tate!

Irvin!

and most importantly

ETIII

The entire defense did a hell of a job saving the game when the offense was just peeing all over itself.

They were wiped at the end and still held that game together.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Some teams have other teams numbers. Especially divisional. They draft to beat the best in their respective divisions, subsequently match up well and are better positioned to exploit weakness.

We know how to get to the 9ers, the Rams know how to get to us (and the 9ers).

Our line will get healthy again. I'm not as worried about the team as I am the coaches. Play-calling was horrendous (again). Mc and Bowie getting beat like frikin bongos and Bevell did little to relieve the pressure on them. Have no idea where TF his head was at but he's now endangering our franchise.

This is where Pete has to earn his money. He needs to be deep in Bevell's sh*t all the way home and then a bunch more tomorrow. I'd be fine if both Bevell and Cable find employment elsewhere. Preferably within the division.

kf3339

Reaction score
kearly":1ok58kui said:
Usually you don't get a wake-up call moment while still winning. This game will probably shape the next offseason as much as the Atlanta game did last year.

So what moves do you see this off season Kearly?

Personally, I see several (or at least hopeful) moves involving Bevel, Cable and more quality O-line players. So how about you?

kf3339

Reaction score
^ Do you have a crystal ball that says Cable's job is secure? To me thinking that he can do no wrong is being idiotic. It's his O-Line players and his coordinated run game, so he has to take a significant part of the blame whether you want to see it, or not.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
kearly":2ab3ck85 said:
How? Really, Kip, how? I think this game exposed just how in the sand our heads have been.