Possible the Hawks catch a break with a Donald suspension?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3b182tj8 said:
Jimjones0384":3b182tj8 said:
Even if he plays, there is something different about that line. They were dominated by the 9ers. That doesn't mean they won't play lights out next week, but as it stands after one game, they didn't seem like a top def. Front. I can say this, the dolphins are huge compared to LA's d line. They looked small and overpowered all night. I hope they implode. But that may be scarier. If they implode and fisher gets fired, la might a good coach, who can make a good roster play like it.

I'd like to think this, but over the past 3-4 years the Niners for some reason always play well against the Rams and we always struggle against them.

Maybe the Rams D Line has regressed a little, but I'm not getting all over confident after last night, not until we stop playing terrible against the Rams. There's no way in hell we should lose to that terrible offense of theirs, but for some reason our offense can't duplicate what other teams do against that Ram's D, run right through them.

Jeff Fisher has built one of the NFL's top two defensive lines; they're well-disciplined, and they know how to play mobile QBs. Fisher also understands that a game manager with enough patience, and maybe just one or two epic plays, can be enough against even the best defense. It keeps Wilson off the field, and it frustrated the Legion.

It's just good coaching.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":3jg88pcf said:
Is it possible the 9ers are improved?

Absolutely, for as much crap as Kelly took for running the Eagle's into the ground, that was mostly on the GM side of things making terrible personnel decisions.

Dude's still a good coach, and that show'd last night with how the Niners played. Good tempo, not great execution, but Gabbert made plays when he had to........and especially on the defensive side, really played good team defense.

But new coaches, new schemes, new personnel is always hard to play against the first week of the season when you don't know how to scheme for that team yet.

So we'll see how the Niners do now that teams have film to scheme against them.

dogorama

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1o75iomf said:
Largent80":1o75iomf said:

Absolutely, for as much crap as Kelly took for running the Eagle's into the ground, that was mostly on the GM side of things making terrible personnel decisions.

Dude's still a good coach, and that show'd last night with how the Niners played. Good tempo, not great execution, but Gabbert made plays when he had to........and especially on the defensive side, really played good team defense.

But new coaches, new schemes, new personnel is always hard to play against the first week of the season when you don't know how to scheme for that team yet.

I agree and you only have to look at the current status of the Oregon program for validation of that. I also think that this is a learning curve for Kelly, he has had to realize that some of his schemes didn't translate to the bigger, stronger, and faster NFL. He is an innovator though and real innovators understand the concept of continuous innovation.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":34di9b1f said:
Largent80":34di9b1f said:

Kelly was in charge of personal moves

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Steve2222":2cvwjtnq said:
Sgt. Largent":2cvwjtnq said:
Largent80":2cvwjtnq said:

Kelly was in charge of personal moves

That's why I said he ran the Eagles into the ground as coach and GM.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":283ckgv7 said:
Jimjones0384":283ckgv7 said:
Even if he plays, there is something different about that line. They were dominated by the 9ers. That doesn't mean they won't play lights out next week, but as it stands after one game, they didn't seem like a top def. Front. I can say this, the dolphins are huge compared to LA's d line. They looked small and overpowered all night. I hope they implode. But that may be scarier. If they implode and fisher gets fired, la might a good coach, who can make a good roster play like it.

I was amazed at how inept they looked. That being said, you know they will be fired up for us, and also for the first home game in how many years?
The LA fans could just end up being apathetic. They have the Lakers and Hollywood and toe-tapping to distract them. The Rams might've just moved away from the home base that really wanted them. I guess we'll find out.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1z2u9699 said:

Kind of doubt that.

SF is built to succeed against the Rams. Power man rushing attack works well on their defensive front. Their guys are fast penetrators who wreak havok on zone schemes -- especially the stretch zone.

Their young guys did impress. Very physical. But they also cheated like crazy with their front and with their coverage. Basically daring them to pass it more than 5 yards downfield -- which they did very rarely.

Seattle could duplicate that if we played more aggressive and leave Thomas on an island in the middle. But it's not something we like to do.

SF played to force three and outs. And left themselves open to big plays. It just seems philosophically we're not predisposed to duplicate SF's effort.

EDIT: It's worth noting that Keenum is a very low level QB. To really get him unhinged though you have to kill his confidence. He can get semi streaky if he gets rolling and feels comfortable. Not Marc Bulger streaky. But NFL adequate. If you get on him fast though it can fall apart quickly and you can likewise cheat your defense.

If you let him establish some confidence though, he won't be 2-4 yards off target on those 10 yard hitches and outs. If he can let it rip with authority he can loosen a defense and that's when Gurley will thrive.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
The Rams playing us like it's their SB is no excuse for us not to beat them into the ground. What happened with one game at a time? Concentrate on getting the W and that's it.