Pre-training camp, 53-man-roster predictions

hawknation2015

Reaction score
We need a non-Wilson contract situation to speculate on, so why not have a 53-man-roster-prediction thread? Obvious there is going to be a lot of competition in camp and injuries could change anything. I'm assuming they we will want to bring Paul Richardson, Jeremy Lane, and Tharold Simon back slowly from their injuries by starting them off on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) List.

There will be lot of hard choices this year . . .

Quarterbacks (2) -- Russell Wilson, Tarvaris Jackson
Release: R.J. Archer

Running backs (3) – Marshawn Lynch, Robert Turbin, Christine Michael
Release: Thomas Rawls and Rod Smith

Fullback (1) – Derrick Coleman
Release: Will Tukuafu and Brandon Cottom

Wide receivers (6) – Tyler Lockett, Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Chris Matthews, Ricardo Lockette, Kevin Norwood
PUP: Paul Richardson
Release: B.J. Daniels, Douglas McNeil, Deshon Foxx, Kasen Williams

Tight ends (3) – Jimmy Graham, Luke Willson, Cooper Helfet
Release: Anthony McCoy, RaShaun Allen

Offensive linemen (10) – Russell Okung, Justin Britt, J.R. Sweezy, Alvin Bailey, Lemuel Jeanpierre, Garry Gilliam, Mark Glowinski, Terry Poole, Kristjan Sokoli, Drew Nowak
Release: Patrick Lewis, Jesse Davis, Will Pericak, Keavon Milton, Kona Schwenke

Defensive linemen (10) – Brandon Mebane, Tony McDaniel, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Frank Clark, Jordan Hill, Ahtyba Rubin, Cassius Marsh, Demarcus Dobbs, Obam Gwacham
Release: Greg Scruggs, David King, Jimmy Staten, Jesse Williams, T.Y. McGill, Julius Warmsley, D'Anthony Smith

Linebackers (7) – Bobby Wagner, Bruce Irvin, K.J. Wright, Kevin Pierre-Louis, Brock Coyle, Mike Morgan, Eric Pinkins
Release: Tyrell Adams, Quayshawn Nealy, Alex Singleton

Cornerbacks (5) – Richard Sherman, Cary Williams, Will Blackmon, Tye Smith, Marcus Burley
PUP: Tharold Simon, Jeremy Lane
Release: N/A

Safeties (3) -- Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, DeShawn Shead
Release: Ryan Murphy, Triston Wade, Dion Bailey, Ronald Martin, Keenan Lambert

Kicker (1) -- Steven Hauschka

Punter/Holder (1) -- Jon Ryan

Deep snapper (1) -- Clint Gresham
Release: Nate Boyer

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Biggest surprise was Patrick Lewis.

Ricardo Lockette is a players I think could be a surprise cut.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Wenhawk":25qy00bg said:

As one of the better run blockers we have at the center position, that would be one of the tougher cuts. I just got the impression from OTAs that he may have fallen behind in the competition, and that the coaches are searching for better athletes, hence Nowak and Jeanpierre getting first team reps ahead of him. But we will see. He did a good job holding down the fort at the end of last season.

Another hard choice was figuring out what might be done at safety. Shead has taken reps at FS, SS, and in the slot. If either Thomas or Chancellor were unable to play, I feel confident that Shead would be able to step in and do a competent job. If both Thomas and Chancellor got hurt, then you are talking about using Shead at FS and moving Pinkins from OLB to SS.

Carroll called Pinkins the most improved player on the team, and I think they appreciate the athleticism and versatility he brings to multiple positions.

Wenhawk":25qy00bg said:

Once Richardson is fully back, I expect the heat to be turned up on Norwood, Lockette, and any other bubble WRs. The advantage Lockette has is his athleticism and special teams ability.

Exittium

Reaction score
I don't think we've seen the last of Thomas Rawls, I think he'll make it on the PS.
Or if we're talking suprises, then C.Mike gone and Rawls gets his spot.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Good conversation starter.

I don't think the Hawks will keep 7 LB's this year with all the other talent at other positions, and I would predict Brock Coyle would be the odd man out since KJ can back up Wagner at MLB in a pinch. Coyle was a nice training camp story last year, but he didn't stand out during the regular season even on special teams and he isn't particularly athletic for a Seahawks LB.

And I can't remember any year that Pete Caroll didn't keep at least 4 safeties on the opening week roster, and I don't think this will be the year that he starts a new trend. One of Bailey or Murphy makes it as the 4th safety.

With this lack of experience as an Olineman, I don't think the Hawks are afraid another team will claim Sokoli if they waive him, so I'd predict they keep someone else like Jesse Davis or Schwenke over Sokoli, and stash Sokoli on the practice squad learning the center position better for the year.

Of course, this speculation assumes nobody gets hurt in training camp and goes in IR.

saroos

Reaction score
I think they keep Cotton at fullback to me he looks for physical out of the back field and has just as good if hands. Man just looking at this roster it is going to be a tough but roster to make. I think this is the deepest roster the Hawks have put together.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":320qanm0 said:
Good conversation starter.

I don't think the Hawks will keep 7 LB's this year with all the other talent at other positions, and I would predict Brock Coyle would be the odd man out since KJ can back up Wagner at MLB in a pinch. Coyle was a nice training camp story last year, but he didn't stand out during the regular season even on special teams and he isn't particularly athletic for a Seahawks LB.

And I can't remember any year that Pete Caroll didn't keep at least 4 safeties on the opening week roster, and I don't think this will be the year that he starts a new trend. One of Bailey or Murphy makes it as the 4th safety.

You could consider Pinkins an in-the-box backup SS with the versatility to play OLB. That gives you six LBs and four safeties from that perspective.

It will be hard to choose between Bailey, Murphy, Wade, Terrell, Martin, Lambert, etc. Just based on the numbers game, at least one of these players should make it to the practice squad.

I do agree that Coyle is on the bubble.

CalgaryHawk":320qanm0 said:
With this lack of experience as an Olineman, I don't think the Hawks are afraid another team will claim Sokoli if they waive him, so I'd predict they keep someone else like Jesse Davis or Schwenke over Sokoli, and stash Sokoli on the practice squad learning the center position better for the year.

Of course, this speculation assumes nobody gets hurt in training camp and goes in IR.

Sokoli I think is gone if they release him. He is an absolutely freakish athlete, even way above Sweezy, so someone is likely to claim him if he is on the wire. But maybe that is the direction they will go if they like what they have from Nowak, Davis, etc. Keeping 10 offensive linemen, as they had on the opening 53-man rosters in 2010, 2011 and 2013, would be an expression of commitment to developing and improving this position group.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3v9vkvgt said:
Any chance we bring back Terrrel Pryor as WR?

Considering Cleveland has already picked him up with the same intention? NO.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I expect Lewis to make it over Nowak, Scruggs to beat out Gwacham and Murphy instead of Burley. I agree with the other 50 spots though.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I think it would be great if the Hawks could stash Simon on PUP to take the place of a player injured during the first 6 games of the season, but everything I've heard from Pete is that Simon will be ready by the opening of training camp or at least a couple weeks in. I don't think you're allowed to fake "fail" a guy on his physical (although I know that doesn't stop the Patriots and a few other teams from doing exactly that) and I think Pete is too ethical a coach to do that dis-service to a player. So will the Hawks keep 6 corners? I know the Hawks have had 10 or 11 DBs on their 53 man roster at various times last year, so Pete likes to have a lot of DBs on his team.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":1c2r260r said:
I think it would be great if the Hawks could stash Simon on PUP to take the place of a player injured during the first 6 games of the season, but everything I've heard from Pete is that Simon will be ready by the opening of training camp or at least a couple weeks in. I don't think you're allowed to fake "fail" a guy on his physical (although I know that doesn't stop the Patriots and a few other teams from doing exactly that) and I think Pete is too ethical a coach to do that dis-service to a player. So will the Hawks keep 6 corners? I know the Hawks have had 10 or 11 DBs on their 53 man roster at various times last year, so Pete likes to have a lot of DBs on his team.

In that case, I think Burley probably gets released, which would be a little unfortunate, because it leaves us thin again at NCB.

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3qezbhkr said:
CalgaryHawk":3qezbhkr said:

In that case, I think Burley probably gets released, which would be a little unfortunate, because it leaves us thin again at NCB.

IIRC Kris Richard mentioned that Tharold Simon is now healthy from the waist down for the first time since signing with the Seahawks. PUP seems highly unlikely barring a set back or new injury.

Simon and Marcus Burley have different attributes and roles on defense. They are not really interchangeable. Burley was also a top ten contributor on special teams.

I think picking Obam Gwacham to make the final roster may be a bit premature. Carroll projected him as a 2 to 3 year project. That makes him more probably a development candidate for the practice squad. Carrying 9 defensive linemen is very doable. Their 2013 D-Line rotation succeeded primarily with their top 7 defensive linemen.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Jville":3a9nb1gc said:
hawknation2015":3a9nb1gc said:
CalgaryHawk":3a9nb1gc said:

IIRC Kris Richard mentioned that Tharold Simon is now healthy from the waist down for the first time since signing with the Seahawks. PUP seems highly unlikely barring a set back or new injury.

Simon and Marcus Burley have different attributes and roles on defense. They are not really interchangeable. Burley was also a top ten contributor on special teams.

I think picking Obam Gwacham to make the final roster may be a bit premature. Carroll projected him as a 2 to 3 year project. That makes him more probably a development candidate for the practice squad. Carrying 9 defensive linemen is very doable. Their 2013 D-Line rotation succeeded primarily with their top 7 defensive linemen.

Burley also wasn't activated for the biggest game of the year, and since then they added Will Blackmon to the roster. If they have five healthy CBs, with Blackmon, Shead, and Smith capable of playing at NCB, I think that puts Burley on the bubble.

Gwacham I initially had pegged for release/practice squad, but then Ryan Robinson got hurt. I think that increases Gwacham's chance to make the roster, given that they need more depth outside. Reports say he had a few nice sacks in OTAs, so that sounds promising. IMO, his athleticism makes him a better special teams prospect than Scruggs or any other bubble defensive linemen. We will have to wait and see how he performs once the pads are on.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2yr09awa said:
Wenhawk":2yr09awa said:

As one of the better run blockers we have at the center position, that would be one of the tougher cuts. I just got the impression from OTAs that he may have fallen behind in the competition, and that the coaches are searching for better athletes, hence Nowak and Jeanpierre getting first team reps ahead of him. But we will see. He did a good job holding down the fort at the end of last season.

Another hard choice was figuring out what might be done at safety. Shead has taken reps at FS, SS, and in the slot. If either Thomas or Chancellor were unable to play, I feel confident that Shead would be able to step in and do a competent job. If both Thomas and Chancellor got hurt, then you are talking about using Shead at FS and moving Pinkins from OLB to SS.

Carroll called Pinkins the most improved player on the team, and I think they appreciate the athleticism and versatility he brings to multiple positions.

Wenhawk":2yr09awa said:

Once Richardson is fully back, I expect the heat to be turned up on Norwood, Lockette, and any other bubble WRs. The advantage Lockette has is his athleticism and special teams ability.

Lockette also has excellent goal-line separation. :34853_doh:

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2015":27oxvahz said:
Jville":27oxvahz said:
hawknation2015":27oxvahz said:
CalgaryHawk":27oxvahz said:

Burley also wasn't activated for the biggest game of the year, and since then they added Will Blackmon to the roster. If they have five healthy CBs, with Blackmon, Shead, and Smith capable of playing at NCB, I think that puts Burley on the bubble.

Gwacham I initially had pegged for release/practice squad, but then Ryan Robinson got hurt. I think that increases Gwacham's chance to make the roster, given that they need more depth outside. Reports say he had a few nice sacks in OTAs, so that sounds promising. IMO, his athleticism makes him a better special teams prospect than Scruggs or any other bubble defensive linemen. We will have to wait and see how he performs once the pads are on.

It may be the destiny of Marcus Burley to live on the bubble. Match ups play a part in who is active or inactive from week to week. As it turned out, they certainly would have benefited from the presence of Burley in that final game.

I do think there is also a distinction to be made between a small nickle and a big nickle. That is certainly true when contrasting the attributes of DeShawn Shead in comparison to Marcus Burley.

Gwacham is very raw. They carried Benson Mayowa for a year only to see him continue to struggled to finish plays in his second preseason. That was a lesson learned. I also don't believe an injury to another player actually enhances a player's chances of making a final roster. Special teams is another avenue. Although, I am not inclined to view Scruggs and Gwacham in competition with one another.

kearly

Reaction score
Good topic. Before anyone says "it's too early", I always like stuff like this because it's really just a snapshot in time of what we thought in that moment.

Last year, in REAL GAMES, Lewis was a better center than LMJ and it wasn't even that close. So I'd be pretty upset if they chose LMJ over him based purely on some practices and 'experience'. But hey, it wouldn't be the 1st time Cable has favored an inferior player. Or the 2nd, or 3rd... It would also be pretty silly I think to carry Sokoli as a #2 center unless he blows us away. But is it believable? Totally.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Jville":3ig5jo30 said:
I also don't believe an injury to another player actually enhances a player's chances of making a final roster.

That I find hard to believe. For example, if Will Blackmon was lost due to injury, Burley would go from being a player "living on the bubble" to a mortal lock.

If Doug Baldwin suffers a season-ending injury, you don't think that opens up an opportunity for another receiver to make the 53?

If Tarvaris Jackson or Russell Wilson are done for the year, you think we might roll with just one QB on the 53-man roster?

It's next man up.

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2015":37amaa4w said:
Jville":37amaa4w said:
Gwacham is very raw. They carried Benson Mayowa for a year only to see him continue to struggled to finish plays in his second preseason. That was a lesson learned. I also don't believe an injury to another player actually enhances a player's chances of making a final roster. Special teams is another avenue. Although, I am not inclined to view Scruggs and Gwacham in competition with one another.

That I find hard to believe. For example, if Will Blackmon was lost due to injury, Burley would go from being a player "living on the bubble" to a mortal lock.

If Doug Baldwin suffers a season-ending injury, you don't think that opens up an opportunity for another receiver to make the 53?

If Tarvaris Jackson or Russell Wilson are done for the year, you think we might roll with just one QB?

It's next man up.

I was referring to unproven developmental prospects and rookies on today's current 90 man roster prior to training camp. "Another player" being Ryan Robinson ...... not a known proven veteran. Assumed that was self evident. Clarifying that distinction now for everyone's benefit.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think C-Mike might be gone. They might try to slide Rawls on the practice squad but they might not want to risk it and might just keep him over C-Mile.