Pre-training camp, 53-man-roster predictions

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SirTed":1fjsejqz said:
Is the consensus that Derrick Coleman is better than Tukuafu(sp)?

This sort of surprises me. To my eye, Tukuafu is a higher impact blocker than Coleman, who seems to just get in people's way all the time. Granted, I don't know much about FB play - but that's what my eyes tell me.

I could see Coleman being the better receiving threat, is that a large factor in opinions?

I think Tukuafu is the better blocker. Coleman offers more as a special teamer and receiver. In general, the coaches have preferred the younger, more athletic player. Tukuafu has also been dealing with some sort of injury, while Coleman has been full go. For those reasons, I have Coleman ahead right now.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's early indeed and we haven't seen how some of these guys will compete once camp starts. The OP's list seems reasonable though I see Nowak being replaced with Lewis and Nowak being returned to the PS. The keepers may surprise us and there could be some really surprising trades, cuts, or releases at every position. Many of the guys the Hawks release or waive will find jobs elsewhere quickly or be quickly returned to our PS where eligible. The O to D and ST numbers of 25, 25, 3 may be convenient but may not be the final numbers as the DL seems overpopulated.

There are certainly going to be a few significant competitions. I could see a player or two at more than one position being show cased for trade where possible.

I see the RB depth as interesting and indicative that the team could be contemplating trading one of Turbin or Michael and that the FB physical parameter seems to be getting bigger with Tukuafu and Cottom being added to the pile. The thing is there that Coleman is a better ST player and receiver out of the backfield than the other two, and he's close to being as effective as a lead blocker. Cotton will likely be kept as a PS player, if he clears waivers, b/c Tukuafu is not PS eligible.

The WR competition is going to be ferocious with significant heat put on Lockette and Norwood to prove they have versatility and value beyond being depth candidates as WRs. There could be possibly one or two of the cut guys back on the PS.

The OLine development will be one of the more interesting stories of TC and the development of Sokoli, Poole, Nowak, and Glowinski critical to the team offensive fortunes this coming season.

At TE the player who can block the best will turn out to be the 3rd TE kept and at least one of the cuts could be back on the PS. i could see the team only keeping two and using Gilliam as a blocker in critical situations

The battles for reserve positions on the DLine will be the most ferocious of any at TC and there could be a surprise cut or trade. Even then several veteran players surviving to the 53 cannot be assured they will be around if a better candidate shows up in the late cuts. Several of the players released will be added back to the PS if they clear waivers or are eligible, or they will wind up in Jax or Cleveland.

At LB I only see Coyle and Pinkins as potentially doubtful from the OP's list. The others shown as waived will need to show something extraordinary to beat them out. This is an area where the team may be seen adding released players from other teams to our PS, where the player is seen to have some potential for ST.

I'd not be surprised to see CB's Simon and Lane start the season on PUP. I find the idea the team will keep only 3 safeties to be doubtful which will affect the numbers elsewhere. There will be some very interesting battles for the 4th slot. Most of the guys released will find jobs quickly and a few will be added back to the PS. The athletes will be kept over the thumpers and even then the more athletic the player the better their chances to make the team or the PS if they are seen to be close in terms of ability or have flashed some skill.

Compared to last year the final cuts are going to be even harder to make. The team has a deep roster.