Prevailing thought is that UW drops this game to Oregon State

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
That would suck but this defense sure has not looked great as of late.

bileever

Reaction score
Oregon State is favored to win by 2 points, in part because the game is in Corvallis. On a neutral field, Washington would probably be favored by a small margin.

The Huskies have been lucky to win the last few games. They just barely beat Stanford and Arizona State, two pretty mediocre teams.

It'll be a tough game against a physical opponent.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I would not say UW just "barely" beat those teams. Washington led by 9 for most the second half against Stanford. ASU was closer but an 8 point win isn't barely winning in my book, and there was certainly nothing lucky about either of those victories.

If there was any luck, it was with Utah and USC. Washington dropping a pick six before the end zone. USC blocking a punt and barely tipping a perfectly thrown pass with their 6'6 linebacker with massively long arms, which would have been an easy TD that turned into an INT. Even then, Washington best USC by 10, more than Oregon did, and Washington did it on the road.

However, I don't really subscribe to the idea of luck when it comes to plays like that. They were good plays made by the other team.

The officiating was pretty bad in some of these games, too. Against Utah, Odunze got mugged repeatedly. Killed drives not calling it, too. Same thing against ASU.... Blatant pass interference not called. Oh well, though. Gotta beat the officials.

Supposedly, many of Washingtons players had the flu when they played ASU and Stanford. That's the word on the street. I don't know much about it though.

Just my opinion.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Another thing I'll point out is that Oregon State has not played Washington, Oregon, or USC this year. One would think that might inflate their defensive statistics. Additionally, when they played Utah they had the luxury of going against Nate Johnson the third string QB.

We will know a lot more on Saturday, though. Oregon State might be a tough matchup for Washington, for sure.

Last edited:

DJrmb

Reaction score
They also were dealing with a barrage of injuries during a stretch against those teams. Both DT Tuli and Ale left the Arizona game with injuries, Ale has continued to play but basically one handed and limited minutes. Tuli (their best defensive player) missed AZ state and Stanford, and was active on the sideline "in case of emergency" for Oregon and USC... Those guys coming back are a huge boost.

Don't get me wrong, this is going to be a TOUGH game! I'm confident though that this Dawgs team is for real and legit and will be able to win if they play to their ability. This is not a paper tiger as those that point out struggles against Stanford and ASU would seem to suggest. This team can play with any team in the top 10 and have a chance to win, including those eastern teams people think are so much better... If this year was the expanded playoffs OR and WA would mop the floor with most of those teams.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Will either be Huskies' opportunity to make a definitive statement that they are truly one of the nation's best, or the Beavers' opportunity to mildly surprise and educate the "experts" that they are.

bileever

Reaction score
I would not say UW just "barely" beat those teams. Washington led by 9 for most the second half against Stanford. ASU was closer but an 8 point win isn't barely winning in my book, and there was certainly nothing lucky about either of those victories.

If there was any luck, it was with Utah and USC. Washington dropping a pick six before the end zone. USC blocking a punt and barely tipping a perfectly thrown pass with their 6'6 linebacker with massively long arms, which would have been an easy TD that turned into an INT. Even then, Washington best USC by 10, more than Oregon did, and Washington did it on the road.

However, I don't really subscribe to the idea of luck when it comes to plays like that. They were good plays made by the other team.

The officiating was pretty bad in some of these games, too. Against Utah, Odunze got mugged repeatedly. Killed drives not calling it, too. Same thing against ASU.... Blatant pass interference not called. Oh well, though. Gotta beat the officials.

Supposedly, many of Washingtons players had the flu when they played ASU and Stanford. That's the word on the street. I don't know much about it though.

Just my opinion.
You have a point, but Oregon State beat Stanford 62-17. That's what good teams do to mediocre opponents. Washington beat Stanford in a much closer game, 42-33.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think UW has at times played down to some of these teams of late
but I don't think they will this time.
It was nice to the D come out in the 2nd half last week and show they
can play D.
Another encouraging note is JMac is playing again and appears to be over
his injury that has hampered the offense somewhat.
i feel good about UW winning this one but it's not a cocky feeling where you
get beat one.
LFG!

OP
OP
Chukarhawk

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Its either going to be a close one or UW comes out and steamrolls them.

Chapow

Reaction score
The forecast for game time in Corvallis looks pretty awful. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the forecast is looking, but as of now it's supposed to be heavy rain starting around 3 and continuing through about 8 or 9. Not great for the passing game.

NoGain

Reaction score
I am so tired of waiting for one of the teams above us to get beaten. LOL Let's just go 12-0 in the regular season and put it all on the line against Oregon in the Pac-12 championship game.

With UW, it's ALWAYS about what they're lacking in, or the manner in which they won their games, or how their luck is going to soon run out, or whatever they come up with to diminish what they've so far accomplished this year. I mean, Oregon State is a favorite over the 5th ranked Huskies? I know Oregon State is a very good football team, and this is the game I feared the most of the Huskies last four games. But come on. Even Vegas refuses to give us the respect we deserve and at least make us like a three point favorite in this game.

I'm pissed off and the game hasn't even started yet.

NoGain

Reaction score
TD Huskies on the opening drive in the rain. Odunze is a total stud. #2 WR prospect in next spring's draft IMO.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Sure would have been interesting to see how this game would have played out in dry conditions, but oh well, rain happens.

RiverDog

Reaction score
A lot lower scoring game than I expected, almost certainly due to the weather. Since this CFB playoff system is still basically a beauty contest, the game isn't likely to elevate the Huskies chances of getting a berth. They'll have to hope that one of the four teams ahead of them loses.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
A lot lower scoring game than I expected, almost certainly due to the weather. Since this CFB playoff system is still basically a beauty contest, the game isn't likely to elevate the Huskies chances of getting a berth. They'll have to hope that one of the four teams ahead of them loses.
Not elevate?They beat a tough ranked team on the road in horrible
conditions while Florida St played the cupcake of cupcakes.
I'll be upset if UW doesn't get the fourth spot.