Problem with NFL That You Dont See in Baseball

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
seahawksny":4iy3mwnr said:
ringless":4iy3mwnr said:
Well there have been complaints about umpires in baseball before to be fair.

Chicago was also down by 5 runs at that point. While the other two plays you mentioned had a lot more on the line at that time. Interception vs touchdown.

Wins vs losses on those very calls.

Its an apples to oranges comparison. But thats just my opinion.

There have been complaints about umpires, yet to this day, we still know who Bill Leavy is.
10 years from now, nobody except Die hard Met fans will know that umps name.
And Im not so sold on how those calls in NFL determine win or loss.
if they happened in the 1st half or even the 3rd and early in 4th qtr, would they still be talking about it?
probably not. Because I think people in general dont remember what happens earlier in game.

Same thing can go for calls made by coaches. Everyone lynched Pete for the last call in SB.
Yet if he didnt gamble at end of 1st half and throw to end zone to Matthews, then we arent even in that spot to begin with at the end of game. Last play doesnt define the game is my point.
Just fyi, no one other than Seahawks' fans know or care about Bill Leavy either. I didn't know anything about the controversy of that SB til I started following this board.

ringless

Reaction score
They do tracing with golf balls so I don't see why not. The play's typically aren't scoring plays either that get reversed or the rule gets confused on either.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I understand that one miscalled pitch has the possibility to effect a teams Baseball season but when you compare a season of 162 games, to a season of 16 games, a bad baseball calls seems much less significant to me.
I'm barely a casual baseball fan but I've seen a lot of baseball plays reviewed.
Guess what I'm trying to say is, I understand football fans when a bad call effects the outcome of a game.
Anybody can watch a BB game and see umps call pitches wrong. I think the key is, that they call the pitches consistently. The players are aware that each ump kinda has their own zone. Not saying it's right, just that it happens.