Projecting the O-Line: 2016 -->

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Fade":iudil4k0 said:
Whelp, I've seen enough, and I am sticking to my opinion of moving on from Okung. The playoffs crystallized, and framed my thoughts on Okung perfectly. Outside of Okung signing a 1 year incentive based contract he is just not worth it. Alvin Bailey looked better than him, and he is an undrafted player.

Justin Britt gets eaten alive by Aaron Donald. Gets destroyed by Kawann Short which caused RW's pick 6. They need a LG too. He has never been good, and will just be a serviceable backup for his career. Think Paul McQuistan. Glowinski should be given a chance to compete for this job IMO.

Lewis for stability reasons needs to be tendered, but I fully expect Seattle to spend a draft pick to be the guy eventually.

Sweezy for stability reasons should be retained, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he signed somewhere else.

Gilliam made strides this season, and can be a starting tackle in the NFL. Competition will still need to be added though.

Projected O-Line 2016

(LT) Joe Dahl, WSU -- (LG) Mark Glowinski -- (C) Patrick Lewis -- (RG) J.R. Sweezy -- (RT) Garry Gilliam

Reserves
T - Shon Coleman, Auburn
C - Mike Matthews, Texas A&M
T - Alvin Bailey
G - Justin Britt

I agree Brit has no business starting he's out ,I've seen enough and he's directly responsible for that pick six thanks to his O'la on Short and that's been going on all year. Okung same thing Bailey is a better option right now he played great in Arizona and again today and he's been solid in most every game he's played. Not sayin he should be his replacement but he should get a chance to compete for the spot next year.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
If only it were possible to go back in time and bring Walt, Hutch, Tobeck, Gray, and Locklear into the Pete Carroll era and pair them up with Beast Mode. How many SuperBowls we could have won?!?!

I think this year should definitely make PC not take draft picks for granted when it comes to drafting college offensive lineman and not experimenting on defensive players turning offensive lineman.

Why you gotta play Frankenstein for?!?!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I used to think one of them would be re-signed. Now, I don't know that either Okung or Sweezy has done enough to earn a second contract. Both of them are simply too inconsistent. Okung can't seem to stay on the field, and Sweezy continues to make boneheaded mistakes. Re-signing either would lead to the prospect of dooming the offensive line to inconsistent play for the foreseeable future.

The only way to build a dominant offensive line in the salary cap era is through the draft. Look at what Green Bay accomplished in short order. It's just too expensive to pay veterans at five positions. After hardly drafting the position at all from 2012-14, the 2015 draft class included the acquisition of a couple promising guard prospects -- Glowinski and Sokoli. They need to do the same thing with the tackle position in this next draft class.

Going into training camp, the line could look like one of the following iterations, depending on how comfortable they are with the prospect of starting a rookie at LT:

LT Gilliam
LG Sokoli
C Lewis
RG Glowinski
RT Britt

OR

LT Rookie/FA Acquisition or Gilliam
LG Britt
C Lewis
RG Glowinski
RT Gilliam or Rookie/FA Acquisition

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I'm not sure I see Lewis as the best option at center even in the short term. Things were much better with him than Nowak, but I'd think there's got to be a serviceable veteran out there somewhere who could make calls and not get pushed around as much as Lewis seems to.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1d753dd6 said:
I'm not sure I see Lewis as the best option at center even in the short term. Things were much better with him than Nowak, but I'd think there's got to be a serviceable veteran out there somewhere who could make calls and not get pushed around as much as Lewis seems to.

If a great center prospect is available in the draft, then they should snag him. The last player drafted by the Seahawks with center experience was Max Unger.

Here's a list of the veteran free agent centers in 2016:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/center/
DscKBDU

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Frankly, I'm very discouraged by the entire o-line. I think the interior 3 are below average NFL players at best and don't see much more growth from any of them. Okung is hurt too often and is only slightly above average when healthy. I do think Gilliam improved as the season went along and became below average after starting as awful. There is room for growth with IMO.

What to do about his unit which is clearly the worst on the team without breaking the salary cap bank? Frankly, I have no idea. I'll stab at it though.....
Keep Gilliam at RT
Resign Okung IF it's 10 per year or less. However, that's not likely so I guess you either move Gilliam there or find someone in draft or FA, but who?
Please upgrade the interior especially Britt and Lewis. Sweezy ain't great, but he's at least average and I don't believe either of them are.

I am discouraged about this unit and envision greater issues next year .

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
nanomoz":3gfyxmlx said:
I'm with Fade and English on this--in fact, I think his numbers are conservative. Okung will get at least $20 million+ in guarantees, at roughly $10-13 per year.

I can't see the Hawks paying that. Gilliam is probably, whether or not you like it, next year's left tackle.

Sweezy I'm not sure about. He's not a great fit for most teams.

Not sure where the $10-$13 million per year average is coming from. I cannot imagine that an average, often injured LT will command elite salary

He will probably command a salary no higher than Veldheer ($7m per year) or Collins ($6m per year) signed in 2014.

Though we may prefer a different, more durable LT in 2016, I have a feeling that the FO and coaching staff feel much different. I believe they will resign Okung at about $6m per year (3 year, $18 million), and also sign Sweezy to an affordable 2 or 3 year deal. I expect them to deal with the center position in full-force this offseason, and like English, I can see them very interested in Alex Mack once he chooses to exercise his opt out clause

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":1xj78uxo said:
nanomoz":1xj78uxo said:
I'm with Fade and English on this--in fact, I think his numbers are conservative. Okung will get at least $20 million+ in guarantees, at roughly $10-13 per year.

I can't see the Hawks paying that. Gilliam is probably, whether or not you like it, next year's left tackle.

Sweezy I'm not sure about. He's not a great fit for most teams.

Not sure where the $10-$13 million per year average is coming from. I cannot imagine that an average, often injured LT will command elite salary

He will probably command a salary no higher than Veldheer ($7m per year) or Collins ($6m per year) signed in 2014.

Though we may prefer a different, more durable LT in 2016, I have a feeling that the FO and coaching staff feel much different. I believe they will resign Okung at about $6m per year (3 year, $18 million), and also sign Sweezy to an affordable 2 or 3 year deal. I expect them to deal with the center position in full-force this offseason, and like English, I can see them very interested in Alex Mack once he chooses to exercise his opt out clause
This would be an ideal scenario to me. I sincerely hope you're right about Okung and ESPECIALLY Mack. I really think C needs an upgrade badly.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would use Bailey at LT, keep Gilliam at RT, he is just starting to not be a liability there and he would have to adapt all over again. Bailey has filled in well and I think given confidence and more playing time will be a solid if not good LT, that's in itself is a improvement over false starts and injury riddled Okung, we have to disrupt things every time he goes down, focus on the interior and a run stuffing DT if a good one is available early on.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":77tnzpos said:
I would use Bailey at LT, keep Gilliam at RT, he is just starting to not be a liability there and he would have to adapt all over again. Bailey has filled in well and I think given confidence and more playing time will be a solid if not good LT, that's in itself is a improvement over false starts and injury riddled Okung, we have to disrupt things every time he goes down, focus on the interior and a run stuffing DT if a good one is available early on.
I like this idea Chris, better than moving Gilliam to LT.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We are starting five guys who should all be backups. None of them should be kept unless they are willing to be paid as depth. We need to replace as many of these guys as possible with better talent. Maybe two this off season and two more the next off season.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":386fwy2b said:
chris98251":386fwy2b said:
I like this idea Chris, better than moving Gilliam to LT.

Counting on Bailey as a starter at any position would be a barely mitigated disaster.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
Alex Mack said that going to a winning organization is something that he's looking for the most - doesn't sound like he's interested in going back to Cleveland. Also, the Browns are going to be rebuilding (again) and would likely welcome the chance to add more draft picks. Getting a 1st and 3rd for a 31 year Joe Thomas who will likely be too old when they're in a position (theoretically) to compete also seems like something they might welcome. Adding Mack and Thomas is an instant upgrade to our line.

Alex Boone is also a free agent and would be a great addition.

LT - Joe Thomas
LG - Justin Britt
C - Alex Mack
RG - Alex Boone
RT - Garry Gilliam

dopeboy206

Reaction score
BC-Hawk":6btrpqox said:
Alex Mack said that going to a winning organization is something that he's looking for the most - doesn't sound like he's interested in going back to Cleveland. Also, the Browns are going to be rebuilding (again) and would likely welcome the chance to add more draft picks. Getting a 1st and 3rd for a 31 year Joe Thomas who will likely be too old when they're in a position (theoretically) to compete also seems like something they might welcome. Adding Mack and Thomas is an instant upgrade to our line.

LT - Joe Thomas
LG - Justin Britt
C - Alex Mack
RG - Alex Boone
RT - Garry Gilliam

Screw Gary Gilliam I am so done with that guy and Britt hasn't shown me much to warrant a starting job.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
BC-Hawk":1s0glrsc said:

LT - Joe Thomas
LG - Justin Britt
C - Alex Mack
RG - Alex Boone
RT - Garry Gilliam

The idea that the Browns would be stupid enough to forfeit their two most undervalued and consistent assets seems so implausible to me.

Plus, we won't be able to afford three high priced veterans on the OL.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
dopeboy206":2efkks05 said:
BC-Hawk":2efkks05 said:

LT - Joe Thomas
LG - Justin Britt
C - Alex Mack
RG - Alex Boone
RT - Garry Gilliam

Screw Gary Gilliam I am so done with that guy and Britt hasn't shown me much to warrant a starting job.

You can't change all five starters in one off-season. 3/5 ain't bad and Britt and Gilliam are probably the least of 5 evils. We still need to invest in other positions and then we can look at upgrades to the other two next year.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1jtnwzdt said:
BC-Hawk":1jtnwzdt said:

LT - Joe Thomas
LG - Justin Britt
C - Alex Mack
RG - Alex Boone
RT - Garry Gilliam

The idea that the Browns would be stupid enough to forfeit their two most undervalued and consistent assets seems so implausible to me.

This is the Browns we're talking about. The same team that just hired a baseball guy for their front office. Besides, Mack isn't even their call, he's got an opt out clause.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
BC-Hawk":3p2r50lv said:
hawknation2015":3p2r50lv said:
BC-Hawk":3p2r50lv said:

LT - Joe Thomas
LG - Justin Britt
C - Alex Mack
RG - Alex Boone
RT - Garry Gilliam

This is the Browns we're talking about. The same team that just hired a baseball guy for their front office.

The Moneyball dude is not dumb enough to make that move. Not even Jonah Hill is dumb enough to sacrifice the one area of their team that doesn't already suck.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
After the Senior Bowl, and the Okung surgery news.

- I would bring Okung back on a prove it deal 1 yr $4M w/4M more in incentives if he can stay healthy. Move Gilliam to backup Tackle. Let Sweezy walk if he gets any legit offers.

- Draft ND C Nick Martin in the 1st.
- Move up in the 2nd round by trading their 4th round pick for RT Germain Ifedi.
- WSU G Joe Dahl in the 3rd, who I thought was the most surprising player of the Senior Bowl playing at RG instead of LT. Apparently doesn't possess the length to play tackle at the NFL level, but looked extremely natural at guard.

Starters
LT Okung -- LG Joe Dahl, WSU -- C Nick Martin, ND -- RG Glowinski -- RT Germain Ifedi, Texas A&M

Reserves
T Gilliam
C Lewis
G Britt
C Sokoli

This O-line could be together for a long time, minus Okung.

Dahl under contract for 4 years. CHEAP.
Martin under contract for 4 years. + team option for 5th. RELATIVELY CHEAP.
Glow under contract for 3 years. CHEAP.
Germain Ifedi under contract for 4 years. CHEAP.