Projecting the O-Line: 2016 -->

firebee

Reaction score
Without establishing any particular depth chart... Just listing who would be competing for the start at different positions.
LT - Gilliam, Polumbus FA, Ijalana FA, Hairston FA, Draft Rees Idhiambo, Draft Denver Kirkland
LG - Glowinski, Sokoli, Britt, Wisniewski FA, Polumbus FA, Ijalana FA, Hairston FA, Draft Denver Kirkland
C - Patrick Lewis, Wisniewski FA, Lemuel JeanPierre
RG - Sweezy, Glowinski, Sokoli, Wisniewski FA, Polumbus FA, Justin Britt, Hairston FA, Ijalana FA, Draft Denver Kirkland
RT - Britt, Gilliam, Polumbus FA, Hairston FA, Ijalana FA, Draft Rees Idhiambo, Draft Denver Kirkland

Essentially... Our guys, sign Wisniewski, sign Hairston, sign Ijalana, sign Polumbus, draft Idhiambo, draft Kirkland.
I'd hope we could shake a solid offensive line out of that bunch by the end of preseason.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Fade":dpydl7z6 said:
After the Senior Bowl, and the Okung surgery news.

- I would bring Okung back on a prove it deal 1 yr $4M w/4M more in incentives if he can stay healthy. Move Gilliam to backup Tackle. Let Sweezy walk if he gets any legit offers.

- Draft ND C Nick Martin in the 1st.
- Move up in the 2nd round by trading their 4th round pick for RT Germain Ifedi.
- WSU G Joe Dahl in the 3rd, who I thought was the most surprising player of the Senior Bowl playing at RG instead of LT. Apparently doesn't possess the length to play tackle at the NFL level, but looked extremely natural at guard.

Starters
LT Okung -- LG Joe Dahl, WSU -- C Nick Martin, ND -- RG Glowinski -- RT Germain Ifedi, Texas A&M

Reserves
T Gilliam
C Lewis
G Britt
C Sokoli

This O-line could be together for a long time, minus Okung.

Dahl under contract for 4 years. CHEAP.
Martin under contract for 4 years. + team option for 5th. RELATIVELY CHEAP.
Glow under contract for 3 years. CHEAP.
Germain Ifedi under contract for 4 years. CHEAP.

I like your ideas. However, I think Martin and Ifedi reversed may be more realistic. Ifedi is projected as a low 1st round-high 2nd round guy and Martin is 2nd/3rd rounder on most draft mocks I've seen. Maybe Martin's stock rises between now and the draft. IMO, there will be a big run on OL early in this draft ( primarily OT). There are tons of teams looking for OL help vs. skill players so guys like Conklin, Ifedi, and Spriggs may be off the board before the Seahawks pick in the 1st round. I could see the Seahawks moving down and going for Cody Whitehair who may be the top guard available in the draft. My projection would look like this -

LT - Okung/FA/Draft choice
LG - Whitehair
C- Ryan Kelly/Nick Martin
RG - Glowinski
RT - Gilliam

Reserves -
Bailey
Britt
Poole
Sokoli
Lewis

lobohawk

Reaction score
Could the Glow play LG or are the guard positions so specialized it would hold him back? The have Sweez at RG and Glw at left. Britt back up wherever.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
hawkfan68":11o82l8m said:
Fade":11o82l8m said:
After the Senior Bowl, and the Okung surgery news.

- I would bring Okung back on a prove it deal 1 yr $4M w/4M more in incentives if he can stay healthy. Move Gilliam to backup Tackle. Let Sweezy walk if he gets any legit offers.

- Draft ND C Nick Martin in the 1st.
- Move up in the 2nd round by trading their 4th round pick for RT Germain Ifedi.
- WSU G Joe Dahl in the 3rd, who I thought was the most surprising player of the Senior Bowl playing at RG instead of LT. Apparently doesn't possess the length to play tackle at the NFL level, but looked extremely natural at guard.

Starters
LT Okung -- LG Joe Dahl, WSU -- C Nick Martin, ND -- RG Glowinski -- RT Germain Ifedi, Texas A&M

Reserves
T Gilliam
C Lewis
G Britt
C Sokoli

This O-line could be together for a long time, minus Okung.

Dahl under contract for 4 years. CHEAP.
Martin under contract for 4 years. + team option for 5th. RELATIVELY CHEAP.
Glow under contract for 3 years. CHEAP.
Germain Ifedi under contract for 4 years. CHEAP.

I like your ideas. However, I think Martin and Ifedi reversed may be more realistic. Ifedi is projected as a low 1st round-high 2nd round guy and Martin is 2nd/3rd rounder on most draft mocks I've seen. Maybe Martin's stock rises between now and the draft. IMO, there will be a big run on OL early in this draft ( primarily OT). There are tons of teams looking for OL help vs. skill players so guys like Conklin, Ifedi, and Spriggs may be off the board before the Seahawks pick in the 1st round. I could see the Seahawks moving down and going for Cody Whitehair who may be the top guard available in the draft. My projection would look like this -

LT - Okung/FA/Draft choice
LG - Whitehair
C- Ryan Kelly/Nick Martin
RG - Glowinski
RT - Gilliam

Reserves -
Bailey
Britt
Poole
Sokoli
Lewis

I was thinking that too, but Nick Martin had a really good Senior Bowl and his stock is going to jump. The strategy now is to get Martin in the 1st, and then move up in the 2nd to get the best tackle you can get. Nick Martin is the best interior O-Lineman in this draft. The tackle whether taken at pick 26, or mid 2nd round, will be 2nd tier compared to the other tackles off the board, and also risk out on getting Martin entirely.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
lobohawk":3fdg8elx said:
Could the Glow play LG or are the guard positions so specialized it would hold him back? The have Sweez at RG and Glw at left. Britt back up wherever.

Yes, I believe Glow could play LG, and they keep Sweezy. That is a very realistic scenario.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
firebee":3nyag7g4 said:
Without establishing any particular depth chart... Just listing who would be competing for the start at different positions.
LT - Gilliam, Polumbus FA, Ijalana FA, Hairston FA, Draft Rees Idhiambo, Draft Denver Kirkland
LG - Glowinski, Sokoli, Britt, Wisniewski FA, Polumbus FA, Ijalana FA, Hairston FA, Draft Denver Kirkland
RG - Sweezy, Glowinski, Sokoli, Wisniewski FA, Polumbus FA, Justin Britt, Hairston FA, Ijalana FA, Draft Denver Kirkland
RT - Britt, Gilliam, Polumbus FA, Hairston FA, Ijalana FA, Draft Rees Idhiambo, Draft Denver Kirkland

Essentially... Our guys, sign Wisniewski, sign Hairston, sign Ijalana, sign Polumbus, draft Idhiambo, draft Kirkland.
I'd hope we could shake a solid offensive line out of that bunch by the end of preseason.

What changed your mind on Jason Spriggs? You were hyping him yesterday.

firebee

Reaction score
Fade":kugiugzz said:
firebee":kugiugzz said:

What changed your mind on Jason Spriggs? You were hyping him yesterday.

I hadn't watched the game yet. I was hoping his problems in practice were relative to him trying to implement new techniques and adjusting his form based on new coaching. When you adjust your stance and they way you play, you're going to have problems. Gametime... You just play. His lack of power and leverage was exposed. He might still develop into a nice starting OT somewhere along the line, but if we're going to go after a developmental prospect at OT, I'd rather we went after Idhiambo... He needs work too, but he's probably the most athletic tackle in the draft and he's naturally stronger than Spriggs. I don't realistically see Kirkland playing LT in the NFL, but I love the prospect of him as a guard. Bottom line... We're not getting a NFL ready LT from the draft... We're going to be stuck with a developmental prospect. MIght as well go after the really athletic one that has a high ceiling.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
After the Senior Bowl, here's a new prediction...

Gilliam-Tretola-Martin-Dahl-Loadholt

dogorama

Reaction score
One of the ways businesses improve themselves is by recruiting (stealing) talent from other businesses. In the NFL it is given the air of respectability by calling it free agency. Seeing as how the Panthers look to be our chief rivals for the coming years why not go after their particularly critical and our sourest needed players. Here is a list of their free agents: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ ... -panthers/ I particularly like going after their offensive linemen if they are high on the depth chart. Their starting right tackle, Mike Zemmers, is only making 550K and is a RFA but even if we don't get him we can hurt their cap a little. Here is their depth chart: http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CAR Notice Josh Norman at 1.591 mil? Carolina is definitely going to go through some growing pains after the Super Bowl. Welcome to the club!

AVL

Reaction score
I doubt it will be much different. "These guys" love to roll the dice with the 0-line. I think it's an addiction.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
AVL":381206sg said:
I doubt it will be much different. "These guys" love to roll the dice with the 0-line. I think it's an addiction.
That is my biggest fear. Under the guise of continuity the clown car show returns.

(zero)0-Line will be a a great nickname if that is the case.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Fade":rxe2t2v1 said:
saroos":rxe2t2v1 said:
I think we let Okung walk and trade for Joe Thomas. I believe he has two years left at 8 million per and he has never missed a snap in the NFL. His salary will be a wash from Okung's this year so no jump in cap space.

This would be ideal for sure, and Seattle has shown in the past they're not scared of trading 1st rounders, and doing what is necessary to make it happen.

I have heard that Thomas has a no-trade clause in his contract. That said, I had not heard of that before, also, seems he likes Cleveland.
I would trade Clev our #1 in a heart beat, hell, lets give them our next #1 and get their G/C, (forget his name).

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2ed42kcp said:
Fade":2ed42kcp said:
saroos":2ed42kcp said:
I think we let Okung walk and trade for Joe Thomas. I believe he has two years left at 8 million per and he has never missed a snap in the NFL. His salary will be a wash from Okung's this year so no jump in cap space.

This would be ideal for sure, and Seattle has shown in the past they're not scared of trading 1st rounders, and doing what is necessary to make it happen.

I have heard that Thomas has a no-trade clause in his contract. That said, I had not heard of that before, also, seems he likes Cleveland.
I would trade Clev our #1 in a heart beat, hell, lets give them our next #1 and get their G/C, (forget his name).

A poster later on pointed out that Cleveland is probably drafting a QB with the #2 overall pick. So Cleveland trading Joe Thomas makes no sense from that stand point. I don't see it happening now.

Tokadub

Reaction score
LT: Bailey or new player
LG: Glowinsky or new player
C: Lewis or new player
RG: New player (but probably stuck with Sweezy)
RT: Gilliam

Pretty vague list but it emphasizes how I feel, we need to COMPLETELY restart our project of building a solid offensive line. No more playing favorites or loyalty to our previous players, it's time to focus entirely on for the first time establishing a GOOD, well rounded, consistent, and SMART offensive line.

Okung needs to go way too expensive, injury prone, and in my opinion he's been overrated all along. He may have been pretty solid at his best but he's inconsistent, slow, and with his injury history it seems like we have no choice but to move on from him. Okung kinda seems like the guy who gets all the praise simply because we have had NOBODY else that's above average... it's like the media is FORCED to praise him otherwise when they discuss our offensive line in the broadcast it would just be "Ya they are awful top to bottom"... kinda similar to the Tom Cable praise they don't focus on how bad our players are they just kind of avoid the topic and praise Cable for being some kind of guru even though our results on the field don't reflect that.

I think Bailey could play LT if we are unable to find anyone better with trades/draft/free agents.

I'm sorry guys but Britt needs to go he's just not an NFL calibre player with his technique or with his mental awareness/reactions/game sense. Way too many times Britt is just completely out of position on plays where he is either doing nothing, double teaming the wrong guy (leaving an untouched rusher bust into our backfield), getting beat by speed OR power, or straight up whiffing or falling over due to poor balance and footwork.

When Britt is at his best just bulldozing into his player he occasionally makes a solid play, and he clearly has a great heart and does not lack for effort. But unfortunately I just don't think he is an effective lineman on anywhere near a consistent enough basis to warrant his return.

Not sure who will play LG next season but if it's Britt it is going to be a LONG and at times ugly year for Wilson and our running game.

Patrick Lewis seems solid enough at center other than his occasional poor snaps. He seems to do well in most of his 1vs1 match ups but it's unclear why Sweezy and Britt are so often inclined to assist him by double or even triple teaming Lewis's guy when he most likely does not need so much help... If Lewis was able to hold his 1vs1 match up (I think he can) then there is no excuse why Britt and Sweezy are so often out of position and ineffective on multiple plays every game.

Perhaps a weakness of Patrick Lewis is his leadership ability with helping to assess what the defense is trying to do and setting the offensive line in the correct positions/responsibilities? At least the coaching staff seemed to hint at this being an area Patrick Lewis has improved on greatly which could suggest he still has a long way to go? It seems like solid coaching in addition to Russell Wilson's diagnosis should be enough to overcome this and allow Lewis to just focus on his snaps and individual match ups.

Seems like Lewis should start at center unless we rotate him to a guard position and pick up some new stud Center this off-season.

I think Sweezy stays (due to lack of better options) but to me he is like a better version of Britt. They both share remarkable similarities with their ability to consistently be a non-factor or make glaring mistakes where they aren't doing anything useful when the opposition is making huge plays. I'm hoping we can find someone to replace Sweezy especially if he is going to be earning in excess of 3 million dollars because I don't think he's worth it. Sweezy gets beat a LOT he is usually decent when he IS in position and like Britt he is capable of occasional overpowering plays, but overall it just seems like a consistent theme of watching replays and seeing Sweezy double teaming a guy for no reason while someone runs right by him untouched.

Gilliam seems pretty solid to me at RT and I liked him from the start of the season. He seems to have the best footwork and movement on our offensive line. I rarely saw him get beat other than by deception where teams are faking blitz to drop back or faking drop back to blitz and he would have to cover 2-3 guys by himself or just guess the correct move due to lack of help from our tight ends and Sweezy. Never really noticed anything bad with Gilliam despite what I've heard and read from media and fans. I think he stays and is the least of our concerns along with Patrick Lewis.

It's a pretty harsh assessment but I feel like we need AT LEAST 3 new starters next season replacing Okung, Britt, and Sweezy. We seem to already have 1-2 replacements with Bailey (but I'm concerned if he could be in decline? Not sure why he hasn't played more to begin with...) and maybe even Lewis if we find another Center.

As for Tom Cable... it's always a possibility that all of our personnel problems where our players just seem mentally slow or unprepared to play correctly (mainly Britt and Sweezy) is not in fact the players fault but just poor coaching. The fact is that our players very rarely play well together and miscommunication/lack of coaching seems to be a huge factor holding our line back from playing together as an effective cohesive unit. I think it's either some of our players are too stupid to "get it" (I'm sorry I know it's harsh, but I don't know how else to say it), or that Cable just simply isn't coaching the players to understand what they are supposed to do on a consistent enough basis to be a good offensive line in the NFL.

I would not be opposed to trying to find a replacement for Cable if anyone was arguably better and available... somethings just not right and it seems like it's far too extensive a problem (seems to effect everyone who's ever played on our offensive line) to blame this entirely on the individual players.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":ft67u6pn said:
After the Senior Bowl, here's a new prediction...

Gilliam-Tretola-Martin-Dahl-Loadholt

You dont want Loadholt unless you are looking for a RT who is above average to great at run blocking and below average in pass protection...plus he hasnt really played in 2 years

jblaze

Reaction score
LT - Gilliam
LG - Britt
C - draft (round 2-3)
RG - Glowinski (Sweezy gone)
RT - draft (round 3-4)

However, there is a chance that Okung is back next year on a one year deal. His surgery will have an impact on his value and he's already proving unsophisticated in his agent skills. Might get him at one year/6-8m and I think you take that if the opportunity arises, keep Gilliam on the RT and draft RT anyways but stash for a year.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I frankly think it'd be awesome if the team could acquire a solid C in the draft or in FA and to also replace LG- Britt unless he really improves his game b/c at times he was simply a matador. I am not expecting Okung to be re-signed unless it is for a 1 yr. lowball type contract and we see Gilliam moving to the left side as a RT candidate is acquired both through the draft and in in FA. Adding Glowinski at RG and acquiring Alex Boone as mid- price LG would give the team a solid mid- OLine who could be physically tough. Finding a RT from the leftover pile or the draft may be a lot easier than finding a LT.

Starting 2016 OLIne would be:
LT- Gilliam, LG- Boone (FA- acquisition) C- FA veteran , Lewis, or draft pick (acquired rd 1-4), RG- Glowinski, RT- veteran FA or draft pick

2016 Depth
LT- Draft pick, LG- Britt, C- Lewis or draft pick, RG/C- Sokoli, RT- Poole or draft pick, veteran FA acquisition, Schwenke

I'm sure the team has had numerous brainstorming sessions on how to add toughness and both run blocking physicality and pass protection competence to this group. I would only give Lewis a RFR offer as a RFA b/c he is not worth the $2.5 Mill 2nd rd. tender. I'm uncertain how much the team would actually pay sneezy and think he'll find a more attractive offer in FA which the team won't match.

I'm very curious as to what they do. In this I'm assuming the team loses both Sweezy and Okung and don't keep Bailey although they attempt to do so. I believe Jeanpierre, Nowak, and Pericak are gone but they keep Schwenke. All this changes somewhat if either Okung or Sweezy are kept.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Tical21":a0x9x62t said:
If it takes 5/50 to sign Okung, done. If you are going to make your QB the centerpiece of your franchise, you don't let go his best pass blocker, especially when that play is responsible for his blind side. If you don't have a LT, your QB gets hurt, and fumbles a lot in the process, period. We've been lucky enough to have good LT play, but we also saw for a few years what happens when you have a hole at LT. Complete disaster. It's a lot of money, but that is the market rate. You aren't going to find an upgrade in free agency. You're not going to draft high enough to find a replacement, and this group doesn't exactly have an outstanding track record of drafting linemen.

Bailey has to be re-signed I think. Your 6th man is pretty darn important, especially when he can do a decent job everywhere.

I don't personally even think JR Sweezy is average. Even in the run game he misses too many assignments. He gets too many dumb penalties, and isn't assignment sound in the pass game. There are literally 20 ways I would rather spend his money. But if I had to bet, I think we consider him a core guy and bring him back.

Your post is spot on! Hope your wrong about Sweezy being considered a core player though, I think his back up, actually looked better in the one game he played and I won't mind giving him a shot at starting.

firebee

Reaction score
These are the guys I think will be competing for a spot on the line when preseason rolls around. Obviously not going to land all of them, but the free agents and draft are guys I think our FO will be targeting.

Current Players or resigns
Justin Britt - Guard
Mark Glowinski - Guard
Kristjan Sokoli - Guard
Patrick Lewis - Center
Gary Gilliam - Tackle
JR Sweezy - Guard
Kona Schwenke - Tackle
Terry Poole - Guard/Tackle
Alvin Bailey - Guard/Tackle
Lemuel JeanPierre - Center
Drew Nowak - Center