Projecting the O-Line: 2016 -->

hawknation2016

Reaction score
There is no conceivable way to project the offensive line at this point. We have only $3 million total allocated to the offensive line right now: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

Nearly everything about this line could change between now and 2016 kickoff. Why sign an injury-plagued Okung when you can sign Kelechi Osemele? Why sign an inconsistent Sweezy when you can add Alex Boone? Max Unger could be the next New Orleans' cap casualty. Alex Mack might be willing to sign here for less. They need to scour the league for savvy free agents and draft smartly.

With so little committed to the offensive line, they have a pivotal opportunity during this off-season to create something truly special.

firebee

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3oo741zg said:
There is no conceivable way to project the offensive line at this point. We have only $3 million total allocated to the offensive line right now: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

Nearly everything about this line could change between now and 2016 kickoff. Why sign an injury-plagued Okung when you can sign Kelechi Osemele? Why sign an inconsistent Sweezy when you can add Alex Boone? Max Unger could be the next New Orleans' cap casualty. Alex Mack might be willing to sign here for less. They need to scour the league for savvy free agents and draft smartly.

With so little committed to the offensive line, they have a pivotal opportunity during this off-season to create something truly special.

I agree... That's why I look at who the O Line coaches and OCs are on the teams the players are coming from, and look at how long they've played for that team, how much time they've been in a ZBS and what their role was... eg. Osemele played mostly guard for the Ravens and he wouldn't be familiar at all with our schemes or terminology... Same thing for Boone.
IMO... Best options are Stefen Wisniewski and Chris Hairston. Mack is an interesting option due to his short stint under Hue Jackson, but I think Wisniewski would cost less and he's younger. Hairston's been coached up by Marrone and Davidson, who are both from the same coaching line we have in place here, so terminology and schemes should be very similar.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2016":159kmhf2 said:

That is the point.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
We have to let okung walk. He isn't worth the money. Osemele played some games at lt for baltimore, and might be a good long term investment. I think Alex mack is almost a must for us to pursue. Britt was one of the worst rated guards in the league and Sweeny wasn't far behind him. Maybe they could trade for a second tier left tackle, though none really come to mind. The truth is we have a huge problem with our line and there are no easy answers. But I think paying okung 6 to 10 million plus for 10 to 12 games next year is not good.