Proof of how popular football is

HawksFTW

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3hjqcw6z said:
HawksFTW":3hjqcw6z said:
I would wager even the most overweight athlete regardless of sport is in better shape in terms of base fitness than the average American, and it isn't even really close.

Oh, I completely agree. I'm just saying, the physical fitness requirement for a golfer or MLB player is way less than what's required for an NFL or soccer player, on average.

Physical fitness is not the only thing that makes an athlete though. Just putting it in the context of your first post.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HawksFTW":38aaz9vd said:
Physical fitness is not the only thing that makes an athlete though. Just putting it in the context of your first post.

Oh, I know, and I agree with that, too. In some sports, it's mostly in the head, especially at some positions; like QB in football.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3h8h37il said:
HawksFTW":3h8h37il said:

Oh, I know, and I agree with that, too. In some sports, it's mostly in the head, especially at some positions; like QB in football.

:0190l:

heyu123

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1v0et1da said:
heyu123":1v0et1da said:
RolandDeschain":1v0et1da said:
IDK, there's a valid point somewhere within shouting distance of what Nategreat said. How much of an athlete are you if you can excel at a given sport being 50 pounds overweight and not in good enough shape to jog 1 mile? Just a thought.

Being able to run a mile, which a lot of MLB players can do, is not the only trait of an athlete.

If people think you don't have to be athletic to hit a baseball, field a baseball, and throw then that's absolutely ridiculous.
Babe Ruth was still a very effective baseball player while being overweight and hungover on a daily basis during the latter part of his career. You think Tom Brady would even have stats as good as Josh Freeman if he played NFL games hungover and carrying an extra 50 pounds? Not a chance in hell. Now, I'm not saying you can weigh 700 pounds and still be an All-Star MLB player, but it's ridiculous to think you have to be in great physical shape overall to be a good MLB player. Some sports just require significantly more on the human body than others. Why do you think there are 16 games in an NFL season compared to 162 games in an MLB season? If NFL players had to play 162 games in 180 days, they would literally die before reaching the halfway point.

HawksFTW":1v0et1da said:
Careful, iRo is one of the resident experts on fitness and fitness regimes. He'll be here to tell you how wrong you are in a moment.
HawksFTW, I honestly tried to be as "special" as you in the douche bag awards thread, and I couldn't even come close. Could you give me some tips?

BTW, John Daly has spent much of his golfing career overweight by 20-50 pounds. Just look at random pics of him on Google Images, like this one:

john-daly-golf_1214625c.jpg

*Edited because I thought this was the shack, initially.

You are moving the goal post. You at first questioned how much of an athlete a baseball player really is. Not what you're arguing here, that theyre less of an athlete than a football player. That's not something I'd debate you on, as just due to the nature of both sports you have to be a physical specimen at most positions to play in the NFL.

However, that does not make a baseball player a non athlete just because they don't meet that physical demand. How can you argue the athletes with probably the greatest hand eye coordination in the world are "non" athletes? Hell, even fielding a ground ball at shortstop coming in at high velocoty and making an accurate throw 125 or so feet, in a second or two, is an athletic feat most can't do.

And you do have a ton of tremendous athletes in baseball. Its just more of a skills game

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
heyu123":2pbfmkjo said:
You are moving the goal post. You at first questioned how much of an athlete a baseball player really is.
Actually, someone else did, and I said they're within shouting distance of a somewhat valid point.

heyu123":2pbfmkjo said:
Not what you're arguing here, that theyre less of an athlete than a football player. That's not something I'd debate you on, as just due to the nature of both sports you have to be a physical specimen at most positions to play in the NFL.

However, that does not make a baseball player a non athlete just because they don't meet that physical demand. How can you argue the athletes with probably the greatest hand eye coordination in the world are "non" athletes? Hell, even fielding a ground ball at shortstop coming in at high velocoty and making an accurate throw 125 or so feet, in a second or two, is an athletic feat most can't do.

And you do have a ton of tremendous athletes in baseball. Its just more of a skills game
The definition of "athlete" seems to vary depending on which industry it's being used in. NFL recruiters consider an athlete to be someone supremely physically gifted across the board, for instance; whereas if we're talking about a high school kid, an athlete is someone who just plays sports, basically, from what I can tell.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
I would argue that an outfielder is virtually the same athletically as a wide receiver. They run full speed and both catch a ball. One difference is the wr knows for the most part where the ball is going and the OF has to react to where it is going. And yes the WR will have contact, the OF will also run into other players, walls, fences.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Give me a break. Even a backup WR would smoke almost any outfielder in baseball in a random test of overall physical agility. Catching is one thing, but trying to get yards after the catch, avoid tackles, make sure you hit the ground not at an awkward angle so you don't break an ankle, etc. is entirely another.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
nategreat":1mjgp04u said:
Baseball players aren't athletes. Neither are golfers or race car drivers.
No offense but race car drivers are at risk of injury and even death. Just earlier this year Jason Leffler died while racing. Golf I agree on though. Sorry but big Kasey Kahne fan here.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
The argument that baseball players aren't athletes is amusing. Russell Wilson was drafted by the Colorado Rockies.

nategreat

Reaction score
Kixkahn":f6ycq8vi said:
nategreat":f6ycq8vi said:
No offense but race car drivers are at risk of injury and even death. Just earlier this year Jason Leffler died while racing. Golf I agree on though. Sorry but big Kasey Kahne fan here.

Oh yeah, there is no doubt that race car driving is one of the most dangerous "sports" out there. The risk is there, you could die at any moment really, going as fast as they do. But just because there is a risk of injury or death does not translate into being an athlete.

For example, these other career choices are dangerous, but I wouldn't consider them athletes:

-competitive eaters (obesity, choking, gastroparesis, water intoxication)
-truck drivers
-roofers
-aircraft pilots
-loggers
-commercial fisherman/crabbers
-structural metal workers
-miners
-police officers

Now, don't get me wrong. As in every aspect of life, there could be specific individuals in each job who are athletically fit. But just because you are a miner or roofer, based on danger alone, does not make you an athlete.

Shaz

Reaction score
nategreat":39z6crmc said:

I'm willing to bet you've never done an athletic thing in your life