Proposal: Write off week 17 and the division.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Here's a thought:

We lost the bye week, so make our own. Rest everyone for week 17. Except if Lynch comes back - he'll need the warm up. Concede the game.

We don't need the home game if we win, as the hawks are far better on the road this year. Heal everyone up, take a rest/bye week, get as many people healthy as possible - and then take the playoffs on the road. Start game planning early for the 1st road playoff game - would have 2 weeks.

And honestly, if we try too hard to win the 49ers game, couldn't our injury situation get worse? Then we're REALLY done.

I'm not scared of our road record this year, and i could care less about the division - as long as we're a bit healthier and rested - on the road is probably better. We're already in.

I know this is heresy - but might have merit.

Rat

Reaction score
Logically, it makes sense, but can you see anyone on this team wanting to do this against their division rival? I'm sure the division was a big goal; let them try to finish what they started. It's probably what's best for team morale.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
ddores":2r9ouw0k said:
Here's a thought:

We lost the bye week, so make our own. Rest everyone for week 17. Except if Lynch comes back - he'll need the warm up. Concede the game.

We don't need the home game if we win, as the hawks are far better on the road this year. Heal everyone up, take a rest/bye week, get as many people healthy as possible - and then take the playoffs on the road. Start game planning early for the 1st road playoff game - would have 2 weeks.

And honestly, if we try too hard to win the 49ers game, couldn't our injury situation get worse? Then we're REALLY done.

I'm not scared of our road record this year, and i could care less about the division - as long as we're a bit healthier and rested - on the road is probably better. We're already in.

I know this is heresy - but might have merit.

Not that this would EVER happen, but for it to really make sense we would have to know:

Would a win get us the 2 seed or the 3 seed?

Would a loss put us as the 5 seed (playing probably Philly?) or as the 6 seed (playing Minny/GB/Saints?

Does another week off give us a nearly full strength Clowney? Diggs? Griffin?

There is room in my brain to entertain a world where playing Philly on the road is better than hosting Minnesota or Green Bay as the 3 seed, but if you have a chance at the 2 and a bye? Nope, too valuable to throw away.

But I sorta get it.

knownone

Reaction score
It’s a home game for the division and we still have a legitimate shot at the #1 or #2 seed. You don’t concede a game with that kind of opportunity on the line. Instead, you come out and throw the kitchen sink at Niners and do everything in your power to have a chance at the bye week.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
If Vikings win tonight.. at home, not unlikely at all, we are in the dirivers seat for a bye week again. So wth he talking about ?

Slick

Reaction score
Has anybody thought of bringing a life-size big-tittay blow up doll to distract GQ at the game?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I would rather be beheaded in a Turkish prison than lay down for the 49ers.

Never surrender!!!

justafan

Reaction score
I dont know if I have ever seen a playoff team that needs a win for momentum reasons more than this one.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
They say the same thing on the 49erswebzone about us. LOL. We are just as beat up as you. Many, many starters out on both sides of the ball. Some for the year. Some can come back for the playoffs and could use some more rest. But I think the reality of the NFL is that when you are playing for the division, playoff seeding and in our case the possible #1 seed in the playoffs and a bye and home field advantage you just play your guys and hope for the best. Nobody wants more injuries. Everybody would rather be healthy for a playoff run rather than worrying about a regular season game. But this regular season game is hugely important to both teams in different ways. So they won't really ignore it.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":3hpja52d said:
They say the same thing on the 49erswebzone about us. LOL. We are just as beat up as you. Many, many starters out on both sides of the ball. Some for the year. Some can come back for the playoffs and could use some more rest. But I think the reality of the NFL is that when you are playing for the division, playoff seeding and in our case the possible #1 seed in the playoffs and a bye and home field advantage you just play your guys and hope for the best. Nobody wants more injuries. Everybody would rather be healthy for a playoff run rather than worrying about a regular season game. But this regular season game is hugely important to both teams in different ways. So they won't really ignore it.
No, you are not as beat up as we are. Period

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":acr7pe00 said:
SanDiego49er":acr7pe00 said:

We got like 8 starters out on the defensive line, offensive line, linebackers, secondary. Our team is decimated. Thus the less dominant defense as compared to what we started the year with. We got the backups of the backups of backups at some positions. We got a practice squad scrub starting on the defensive line because of all our injuries. We are totally decimated. Our team is very, very injured. Trust me. This is not a healthy team.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2ee81ap7 said:
hawksfansinceday1":2ee81ap7 said:
SanDiego49er":2ee81ap7 said:

We got like 8 starters out on the defensive line, offensive line, linebackers, secondary. Our team is decimated. Thus the less dominant defense as compared to what we started the year with. We got the backups of the backups of backups at some positions. We got a practice squad scrub starting on the defensive line because of all our injuries. We are totally decimated. Our team is very, very injured. Trust me. This is not a healthy team.
Can we borrow one of your 3 starting running backs? We are down our 4th.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1ph8sbue said:
SanDiego49er":1ph8sbue said:
hawksfansinceday1":1ph8sbue said:
SanDiego49er":1ph8sbue said:

Can we borrow one of your 3 starting running backs? We are down our 4th.

Yeah I know your situation is real bad and I don't down play it. I was real sad to see my guy Rashaad Penny from San Diego State Aztecs go down. Especially when he was starting to get it and show you a glimpse of what he can really be. Plus all the other guys. You never hope for anybody to be injured on any team. We are both pretty beat up. We will just have to try to do our best and see how it comes about. Ideally both teams would rather be more healthy than this.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":lw8586ca said:
hawksfansinceday1":lw8586ca said:
SanDiego49er":lw8586ca said:

Thing is, you've got most of your key starters or adequate replacements, with the possible exception of Tartt. You still have Mostert/Coleman/Brieda, Staley/McGlinchey, Kittle, Sanders/Deebo, AA/Buckner/Bosa, Sherm/Witherspoon all healthy, whereas last time we met half of them weren't.

We meanwhile have lost not only Britt, but our first three RBs, WR Josh Gordon, Al Woods--all within a week. It's iffy if Quandre Diggs and Clowney can go Week 17.

Our present position feels closer to the Eagles than the 49ers. But who knows. The Eagles lost almost all their WRs. They were left with a 5'6" 200 pound PS dude as their RB. They were down three scores. Pedersen got creative. They won.

That's the X-factor here: creativity/flexibility. I hope Pete lets Russ make more calls, and that they're more daring. I want to know we stepped up even if we do lose.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3cepq6mz said:
SanDiego49er":3cepq6mz said:
hawksfansinceday1":3cepq6mz said:
SanDiego49er":3cepq6mz said:

Thing is, you've got most of your key starters or adequate replacements, with the possible exception of Tartt. You still have Mostert/Coleman/Brieda, Staley/McGlinchey, Kittle, Sanders/Deebo, AA/Buckner/Bosa, Sherm/Witherspoon all healthy, whereas last time we met half of them weren't.

We meanwhile have lost not only Britt, but our first three RBs, WR Josh Gordon, Al Woods--all within a week. It's iffy if Quandre Diggs and Clowney can go Week 17.

Our present position feels closer to the Eagles than the 49ers. But who knows. The Eagles lost almost all their WRs. They were left with a 5'6" 200 pound PS dude as their RB. They were down three scores. Pedersen got creative. They won.

That's the X-factor here: creativity/flexibility. I hope Pete lets Russ make more calls, and that they're more daring. I want to know we stepped up even if we do lose.

Some of those guys are back this time for us. Some are still out. A big one is Dee Ford the edge rusher and multiple other defensive linemen who are out. Dee Ford + Nick Bosa gives you 2 fast edge rushers creating great pass rush. With just Bosa coming and Ford out you can double team Bosa. That makes our pass rush much less effective. Thus the shoot out games we have been in lately as opposed to holding the other team down to lower points like the beginning of the year. Another big one is Winston Richburg the Center. Out for the year. Our interior pass blocking has been much less good for both run blocking and creating an effective pocket for pass blocking.

Staley, Mcglinchely, Emmanuel Sanders, George Kittle, and Robbie Gould (1st string kicker) being some version of back or much more healthy for this game as opposed to the last one is a big, big deal. I will give you that. Those guys were mostly outright out of the game and some were playing very injured. All are back now and mostly healthy. That's a big deal. A difference to this game as opposed to the last. But we are far from a completely healthy team. In fact we have some key injuries still. A lot of them.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Dee and Richburg are great to haves, but you're not killed by them not being there. Dee hasn't been taking all the snaps even when healthy, which he often isn't. Your team has mostly adjusted and continues to win.

Whereas we at RB have one healthy guy who came off the PS. He might be great someday but for now he's a special teams guy being forced into the role. Our greatest hope is Beast and his backup.

And apparently Turbin has sailed through but there's still a delay with Marshawn (the one signing that'd cheer me up even as it is likely futile). PC/JS shouldn't have blown the horn saying he had a great chance to be hired if there was going to be a weed question. Which there should have been given that ML's been publicly seen lighting blunts off the torch at Raiders Stadium.