QB Alex McGough, FIU with #220 pick

joeseahawks

Reaction score
He looked like RW running for his life at times. I'm glad he has some experience playing behind a poor O-Line. He would fit perfectly in the Cable/Bevel Seahawks Team.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well he won't have to be taught throwing under pressure, seems him and Wilson have the same teacher there, how well he can play with pass protection may be the biggest question. Under the radar except for a few astute staffs it appears as well, there is basically nothing on most the scouting and mocks about this kid. Although we have done this before with someone from Morgan State a few years back. He does have guts and will throw the ball leading a receiver when it looks like he is covered also. Something that Bevell or Pete has coached out of Wilson, maybe that will change also under Schottenheimer.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Ah good one step closer to ridding ourselves of that expensive midget anchor on our offense. :mrgreen:

ivotuk

Reaction score
Fade":12jl9psm said:
hawknation2018":12jl9psm said:
Fade":12jl9psm said:
Jville":12jl9psm said:
[youtube]B53P_np5t4Y[/youtube]
His arm is too good to be a 7th rounder. Combined with his ability to evade pressure, and throw on the run. This is looking like highway robbery right now, I am not going to lie.

I don't think anyone should confuse him for someone with good arm strength.

I'm not saying he has a 1st rd cannon like Josh Allen.

1st play he throws the go with ease. With the ball traveling 50 yds. Looked like he could of put more on it. Placed it in a perfect spot to avoid the turnover, yet still gives his receiver a chance to run after the catch. He takes it to the house. Might have been lucky, but he did complete 65% of his passes.

2nd play evades intense pressure, spins out to his left while on the run tosses it 50 yds.

3rd/4th.5th plays show his mobility on some zone reads. He has + movement for a QB with good size 6-3, but hard to tell how dynamic he really is given the level of competition. Ran 4.62 at his Pro Day, and he is slippery in the pocket.

6th play. Fires it nearly 60 yds for the TD, and put it a little more on a line than his prevous 2 throws. It looked very reminiscent to an RW broken play.

7th play. Another RW esque escape spotting & evading a rusher coming from the blind side who had him dead to rights. Showing a great feel for the rush, scrambles out to his left again on the run. Perfect placement on a 50/50 jump ball for the TD.

8th play. Escapes to his right flings it across his body about 45 yds width wise. That's a no no, they should of cut that from his highlight tape. It was a half duck, and probably picked off against NFL players.

9th play. Forced to bail to his right, guns it while throwing on the run. Hitting the hook route to move the chains. NFL throw, and he aimed it away toward the sideline so if he did miss it wouldn't be a turnover.

10th play. NFL throw again, far hash deep out route. Perfect placement. The test throw for NFL arm strength.

He does have a bit of a wobble on his ball which is weird, but he completed 65% of throws despite that.

I am very intrigued by this pick, and am looking forward to him getting #2 reps at some point in the pre-season to get a better evaluation on him.

Nice breakdown, thank you for that :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Although hard to judge his arm, every play almost he is playing Hero ball as people have dubbed it and not really had a pocket to set up and throw in. Fact that he can run right and throw left to the other hash mark does say something however.

Seafan

Reaction score
chris98251":117ngbsc said:
Although hard to judge his arm, every play almost he is playing Hero ball as people have dubbed it and not really had a pocket to set up and throw in. Fact that he can run right and throw left to the other hash mark does say something however.

Agreed. He has several RW type qualities. Russ is one of the best in the NFL throwing while running to his left. That throw by McGough in the video was impressive. He seems to be able to make all the throws. I can see why NE and the Hawks were intrigued by this young guy.

chris98251

Reaction score
mcbarker-01.jpg

Well I hope he doesn't need Lazik :)

JPC4Days

Reaction score
ivotuk":6z6tt0qj said:
Fade":6z6tt0qj said:
hawknation2018":6z6tt0qj said:
Fade":6z6tt0qj said:
His arm is too good to be a 7th rounder. Combined with his ability to evade pressure, and throw on the run. This is looking like highway robbery right now, I am not going to lie.

I don't think anyone should confuse him for someone with good arm strength.

I'm not saying he has a 1st rd cannon like Josh Allen.

1st play he throws the go with ease. With the ball traveling 50 yds. Looked like he could of put more on it. Placed it in a perfect spot to avoid the turnover, yet still gives his receiver a chance to run after the catch. He takes it to the house. Might have been lucky, but he did complete 65% of his passes.

2nd play evades intense pressure, spins out to his left while on the run tosses it 50 yds.

3rd/4th.5th plays show his mobility on some zone reads. He has + movement for a QB with good size 6-3, but hard to tell how dynamic he really is given the level of competition. Ran 4.62 at his Pro Day, and he is slippery in the pocket.

6th play. Fires it nearly 60 yds for the TD, and put it a little more on a line than his prevous 2 throws. It looked very reminiscent to an RW broken play.

7th play. Another RW esque escape spotting & evading a rusher coming from the blind side who had him dead to rights. Showing a great feel for the rush, scrambles out to his left again on the run. Perfect placement on a 50/50 jump ball for the TD.

8th play. Escapes to his right flings it across his body about 45 yds width wise. That's a no no, they should of cut that from his highlight tape. It was a half duck, and probably picked off against NFL players.

9th play. Forced to bail to his right, guns it while throwing on the run. Hitting the hook route to move the chains. NFL throw, and he aimed it away toward the sideline so if he did miss it wouldn't be a turnover.

10th play. NFL throw again, far hash deep out route. Perfect placement. The test throw for NFL arm strength.

He does have a bit of a wobble on his ball which is weird, but he completed 65% of throws despite that.

I am very intrigued by this pick, and am looking forward to him getting #2 reps at some point in the pre-season to get a better evaluation on him.

Nice breakdown, thank you for that :2thumbs:

Yah I think it's easy to think ...7th round pick under the radar ... must lack arm strength but watching him it does look like he has a good arm... I mean what do I know but my eyes see a good arm. So I have been searching around the web and pre game opposing interviews from coaching mention his arm strength... then I hear the interview from Butch Davis.. who coached him in college.

These are the main points

Gonna love this kid... a remarkable competitor. He's got all the skills ... he ran a 4.68 at our pro day, we won eight games ..we might not have won two or three of them if it wasn't for him. Great leader... he has terrific arm skills can absolutely make every throw.

Butch loves Russell Wilson feels it is a great situation for Alex .... he can learn from Russ because of his extreme Work ethic feels he has a similar skill set in being able to make throws on the run and has good scrambling. Hands down the best college quarterback he has ever coached ... had some ok guys at Miami and North Carolina. He had Scott Covington and Kenny Dorsey at Miami both got drafted and played. At North Carolina he had some guys including T J Yates and hands down Alex is the best QB he has ever coached at the College Level.

He says he absolutely has a chance to start at the NFL level... I am not being a homer but this could end up being real good for the Seahawks because ... I don't hear a lot of negatives. He said he has the arm he can do it all... this is the type of guy that you could flip for draft picks down the road... loves to watch film..

the only negative thing I have come across is that he got hurt in there bowl game... so maybe durability.. he will need to learn from Russ how to get down.... This is a very good seventh round pick.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Shades of Kirk Cousins...

I KNEW Cousins would become an NFL starter, and the Redskins picked him up as a 5th rounder.
(OK, so it was more of a gut feeling than truly reliable factual knowing)
Cousins had shootout duels in college with Russell Wilson, and won his share.
Cousins always had those leadership intangilbles, despite his Dave-Krieg level athleticism. (Better arm than Krieg)
I followed Cousins with the Redskins from his rookie year, and he made hay when he got his chances.

Maybe McGough will be our Kirk Cousins (or why not Brady?) in development. We can dream. Looks like a worthwhile project.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/992540286021586949[/tweet]

I wonder if a baseball background might become a telling indicator for improvisation at the quarterback position.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
So to the people that thought he showed a good arm on tape... Pete said he showed "Really good arm strength" twice and good mobility and accuracy...but

I was looking for his hand size and it is of the dreaded 91/8 Jared Goff variety... unless that measurement is wrong could you say we found a red flag.

I am just having some fun... to be frank I wish he had the Russ mitts as a Seattle wet ball thrower... but he will showcase his abilities to the league during the preseason only... God willing and it is still pretty nice that time of year. I could have the wrong information also... and you would prefer ...the big paws... but this is really a non issue ...just stirring the pot ... Tom Brady has small hands ... #Deflategate

chris98251

Reaction score
JPC4Days":77ek4kzv said:
So to the people that thought he showed a good arm on tape... Pete said he showed "Really good arm strength" twice and good mobility and accuracy...but

I was looking for his hand size and it is of the dreaded 91/8 Jared Goff variety... unless that measurement is wrong could you say we found a red flag.

I am just having some fun... to be frank I wish he had the Russ mitts as a Seattle wet ball thrower... but he will showcase his abilities to the league during the preseason only... God willing and it is still pretty nice that time of year. I could have the wrong information also... and you would prefer ...the big paws... but this is really a non issue ...just stirring the pot ... Tom Brady has small hands ... #Deflategate

Two things, QB's all have a way they hold the ball, smaller hands if they grip too tight can cause it to squirt out if they tend to grip it too fat, also some like to swing it out rather then keep it close to their body. Big hand guy can do that much like palming a basketball, when a smaller guy does it usually any bump it will squirt loose also. It will depend on what type of ball security he has.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
chris98251":3vzt9ryu said:
JPC4Days":3vzt9ryu said:

Two things, QB's all have a way they hold the ball, smaller hands if they grip too tight can cause it to squirt out if they tend to grip it too fat, also some like to swing it out rather then keep it close to their body. Big hand guy can do that much like palming a basketball, when a smaller guy does it usually any bump it will squirt loose also. It will depend on what type of ball security he has.

I found that measurement on the internet sooo... it could be wrong and ... I was a little bit bummed when I read it but bounced back pretty quick. This will at least give haters something to talk about but I get it ...they measure the hand for a reason... how big were Steve Young's hands... or Joe Montana's... I couldn't find those numbers but plenty of dudes make this a non issue.

So is it harder to play QB with 9 1/8 hands or LB with only one hand?

Boom84

Reaction score
I actually like this pick. Kid plays balls to the wall. Bit of a risk taker, but also shows he can come off his first read. Not unlike Lauletta really, who I liked.

Agreed. I liked Mike White as well due to arm / throws with anticipation and the fact he started for the North in the Senior Bowl. However the comparison of McGough to Lauletta is apt as well than McGough elevated the FIU program and received one year of coaching in a pro style offense. Watch this video with a good breakdown that McGough is polished in areas some other QBs coming out are not.

[youtube]Ubi9GtCADD8[/youtube]

chris98251

Reaction score
JPC4Days":18czkomm said:
chris98251":18czkomm said:
JPC4Days":18czkomm said:

I found that measurement on the internet sooo... it could be wrong and ... I was a little bit bummed when I read it but bounced back pretty quick. This will at least give haters something to talk about but I get it ...they measure the hand for a reason... how big were Steve Young's hands... or Joe Montana's... I couldn't find those numbers but plenty of dudes make this a non issue.

So is it harder to play QB with 9 1/8 hands or LB with only one hand?

file.php

Looking on how he grips that ball he does have smallish hands.

crosfam

Reaction score
Giovanni Carmazzi had big hands. Tom Brady's career was a bit better. :sarcasm_on: