QB Brett Hundley Traded To Seahawks

nanomoz

Reaction score
I find this to be a great move. High upside, plus athleticism, experience as a starter. I don't know what people expect to get for a 6th round pick, but this dude is much more capable as a playmaker (the Pete Carroll "point guard" QB) than Austin Davis.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
After watching the 2017 Brett Hundley highlights I feel a little better about the trade. He made some nice throws and he has some speed he can hurt a defense with his mobility.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":194m25l0 said:
I find this to be a great move. High upside, plus athleticism, experience as a starter. I don't know what people expect to get for a 6th round pick, but this dude is much more capable as a playmaker (the Pete Carroll "point guard" QB) than Austin Davis.

Agreed after further review he's an big upgrade over Davis . McGough just isn't in there plans this season unless they stash him on an injured list or carry 3 QB's.

chris98251

Reaction score
peppersjap":17nfazno said:
chris98251":17nfazno said:
Fade":17nfazno said:
JayhawkMike":17nfazno said:
There will be much better options for a backup QB in the coming days but the FO ego strikes again.
pittpnthrs":17nfazno said:
This is how I feel. Why did we jump on Hundley of all people when better options are sure to come available for the same or better price?

Genuinely curious.

What QBs are going to be available on waivers that will be "much better options" or available in a trade for the last pick of the 6th rd?

I need names.

What Quarterbacks do you guys have in mind?

Genuinely curious.

Kaep and RG III
Why can't people get over this Kaepernick crap?? So Hundley looked very average on a team where he was replacing probably the best QB in the NFL. He had a pretty tough act to follow. I feel so much better with him than I did with Boykin and the guys we have now and god forbid we gave up a late 6th round pick. Austin Davis has been horrible the whole preseason except his 1st drive when he ended it with a ridiculous interception and McGough needs time on the practice squad. He played very bad last game but his stats looked way better after you throw in a meaningless 50 yard hail mary at the end of the game. Hundley actually has some potential and is athletic enough that he might be able to do something if Wilson did go down.

Because he can play the position, has been in the playoffs and is being blacklisted, he would come in at a low end salary and yes we could adjust and win with him I am sure and we also have a lgitimate guy that can work with him to make him better. Just because you don't like what he stand for and that he is willing to stand up for it does not make him player that is not viable to do the job.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Who said anything about what he stands for?

Kaep has been a below average QB in this league. He's also not played in a down in some time and would command a larger salary. Those are all good reasons to look elsewhere first.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":25qcr6bb said:
Si,

Coleman was actually a great trade. And somewhat of an outlier. (Also a player that many, including myself, have been very pleased, if not surprised, by how well he has done.)

But when you aggregate all the wasted $$$, wasted years, wasted opportunities - and garbage players like Lacey and Joekel that we dealt with....if the upside ON SUCCESSFUL DEALS...is getting a Coleman - then your non-drafted player acquisition strategy sucks, (excluding UDFA rookies)

The downside is something like dealing with $30M in lost cap space, maybe more. Is the upside apparently a very good slot corner? When it works out after every 5th or 6th blown big dollar FO move?

The cost of these misses vs the value of the hits is pretty poor. Which leads to the issue - it isn't the players picked but the strategy this FO uses in trying to score these players for potential trades and acquisitions. Too much on potential and not enough on actual ability.

Most of these terrible trades shoot for great athleticism. They were also often high draft picks that did not pan out. Coleman was a good trade for a player that was good at what he did. Much less of a 'shoot for potential' 3pt heave from mid-court the FO generally tries for.

(And again, the admittedly, the worst moves by this FO have been the guys they let walk, since the people we replaced them with eventually (in aggregate) end up costing us more anyway. )

Yes, the FO made a great move with Coleman but it is the tendency of this FO to swing for the fences that leads to trying to get the guy that led to Kam holding out, or Joekel costing us big dollars, or whatever else. But I stand by my assessment of this team's FO ability to make player acquisition moves because contrasting the # of losers + cost of the losers with the total aggregate value of the big winners in the past few years....Coleman is not going to make up for that.

TLDR (for those not into multiple paragraphs):
This team has a problem evaluating active players in the NFL. It also tends to overweight the value of being a high draft pick at one time. The very fact their big success in the past several years is Coleman, contrasted to their big failures, means they suck at this.

Completely agree with you that the FO has swung and missed terribly, even with relatively low risk moves (like Lacey) because of the roster spots they occupy.

I just dont see THIS as something that is reflective of THAT. This is a low risk move to get better (or more comfortable) in a position they hope to never need.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1e0bx3ky said:
Who said anything about what he stands for?

Kaep has been a below average QB in this league. He's also not played in a down in some time and would command a larger salary. Those are all good reasons to look elsewhere first.

Are you his Agent? To get back in the league he would not expect top pay I would think, he is a Super Bowl QB who with a good QB coach would be serviceable as a back up, I am sure he has been working out in the case of a phone call.

Fade

Reaction score
Kaep is suing the NFL he is off the table.

RG III. Injury prone.

Hundley is a good prospect that has duel threat ability. He isn't going to be anything more than a Tarvaris Jackson type, but that is what you get for the last pick of the 6th rd.

Good trade. Not amazing, but good.

Austin Davis would go 0-16, 1-15. Starting a full season.

A currently young Hundley would go 5-11. Starting a full season.

Hundley has potential for growth. Austin Davis doesn't.

It is an upgrade.

Good trade again. I will stick with my B+ grade.

chris98251

Reaction score
Fade":fqeh4qi7 said:

RG III. Injury prone.

Hundley is a good prospect that has duel threat ability. He isn't going to be anything more than a Tarvaris Jackson type, but that is what you get for the last pick of the 6th rd.

It is an upgrade.

So a lucky coin flipper for a 6th rounder.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Fade":2zjg046y said:

RG III. Injury prone.

It is an upgrade.

Hundley's an upgrade and after a full preseason of McGough I think he has some potential but he's no where near ready if someone claims him good luck see'ya down the road that's not a big loss.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28ojjqq1 said:
pittpnthrs":28ojjqq1 said:
Its not the 6th rounder thats bothering people so much, its the fact that Hundley stinks. The fact that a 6th round draft pick was involved is icing on the cake. Hundleys just not a noticeable upgrade to what we already had.

But he's developable.

After 3 years, the Packers didnt think so.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Welcome Brett Hundley to Seattle, I'm sure JS & PC and everyone at the VMAC are far far more excited about this trade than most of those that have posted in this thread. I'd also like to congratulate Brett Hundley SR for raising such a solid young man. 6-3, 220 with the biggest hands at the 2015 combine and the 3rd fastest QB 40.
> UCLA- Beat USC three times in a row and helped elevate UCLA to a top 10 ranking.
> Check out Jon Gruden's 2015 QB camp and his evaluation of Hundley.
> Watch Hundley's 2017 GB highlights, he had a 110 QB rating vs. Det, Chi & Pit.
Also, Rodgers collarbone wasn't the only injury setback for the Packers when BH took over for 7 games in 2017. GB was missing starters across the offense during that time, including RB, WR, TE & O Line.

You might start to see a correlation between our newly signed backup and RW. Wilson a former 3rd round pick now a top 5 QB in the league, could our 2019 6th round investment yield a future top 5 backup QB? Time will tell, for now I'd suggest we chill, welcome Hundley and see what he's got before we prejudge this as a mediocre (clipboard Jesus) signing.
Let's not forget that Jim McMahon, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell and Kurt Warner were all backups in Green Bay.
I've got a good feeling about Brett Hundley, it will be interesting to follow Kizer & Hundley over the next few seasons.
Hopefully we never have to use him, but the guy can move the chains with his arm & his feet and GB put three years into his development for us, so thumbs up for now.

A couple of notes on Hundley, he is an epilepsy advocate (his sister has epilepsy), he is into archery and once did a ride along with Mario Andretti.

Jville

Reaction score
Seahawker76":32w5wb9y said:
Welcome Brett Hundley to Seattle, I'm sure JS & PC and everyone at the VMAC are far far more excited about this trade than most of those that have posted in this thread. I'd also like to congratulate Brett Hundley SR for raising such a solid young man. 6-3, 220 with the biggest hands at the 2015 combine and the 3rd fastest QB 40.
> UCLA- Beat USC three times in a row and helped elevate UCLA to a top 10 ranking.
> Check out Jon Gruden's 2015 QB camp and his evaluation of Hundley.
> Watch Hundley's 2017 GB highlights, he had a 110 QB rating vs. Det, Chi & Pit.
Also, Rodgers collarbone wasn't the only injury setback for the Packers when BH took over for 7 games in 2017. GB was missing starters across the offense during that time, including RB, WR, TE & O Line.

You might start to see a correlation between our newly signed backup and RW. Wilson a former 3rd round pick now a top 5 QB in the league, could our 2019 6th round investment yield a future top 5 backup QB? Time will tell, for now I'd suggest we chill, welcome Hundley and see what he's got before we prejudge this as a mediocre (clipboard Jesus) signing.
Let's not forget that Jim McMahon, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell and Kurt Warner were all backups in Green Bay.
I've got a good feeling about Brett Hundley, it will be interesting to follow Kizer & Hundley over the next few seasons.
Hopefully we never have to use him, but the guy can move the chains with his arm & his feet and GB put three years into his development for us, so thumbs up for now.

A couple of notes on Hundley, he is an epilepsy advocate (his sister has epilepsy), he is into archery and once did a ride along with Mario Andretti.

Nice .... thanks for taking the time to bring all of this together in one spot and sharing .... :2thumbs: