QB Paxton Lynch signed by Seahawks: Furness

daveyoung52

Reaction score
FWIW and IMHO, maybe they think Schotty can bring him on,after all, he does have some history of this, although maybe not guys standing 6-7 and 244. I'm sure he can give Brett some competition. :irishdrinkers:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Why not kick the tires on a guy who was thought to be a first round talent a few years ago. Rumor is his lack of work ethic was one of the main issues, and that's the sort of thing that could be fixed if he's burned through some of his rookie contract money and is now looking at a last shot to play in the NFL. I feel a lot better about signing a guy like this for no guarantees to compete in camp then I did about trading a 6th round pick for Hundley.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1xpsumi0 said:
Tin Foil Hat theory.

They are trading Wilson and need a QB, Paxton is a first rounder that everyone says you have to have to win. It will open up the passing game since he can see to throw the slant patterns over the middle and increase our pass to run ratio. :p
That is one thing that we don't have and it really sucks.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
AgentDib":3qy0l6td said:
Why not kick the tires on a guy who was thought to be a first round talent a few years ago. Rumor is his lack of work ethic was one of the main issues, and that's the sort of thing that could be fixed if he's burned through some of his rookie contract money and is now looking at a last shot to play in the NFL. I feel a lot better about signing a guy like this for no guarantees to compete in camp then I did about trading a 6th round pick for Hundley.
This exactly.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Pretty cool to think about this, as I saw it highlighted on twitter.

In 2016 the Hawks traded their #26 with the Broncos for their #31 and #94 (overall). Broncos took Paxton Lynch with the #26, Hawks took Ifedi at #31 and then took Vannett with the #94.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jmahon316":2r3ho3r9 said:
Sgt. Largent":2r3ho3r9 said:
jmahon316":2r3ho3r9 said:
Sgt. Largent":2r3ho3r9 said:
It's a backup QB that may or may not even be on the roster come camp and the regular season. Relax.

I'm honestly still butthurt though that they didn't keep McGough. Not sure if was an effort thing or a progress thing but I had hopes for the guy, and it sucks seeing him sign with another team so fast.

I think the rules are other teams can put an offer in on your practice squad players, and the only way to keep them is to promote them to your 52 man roster.

So if the Pete and John didn't think McGough was ready to be Russell's every day backup, they had to let him go..........and really it's better for McGough, because now he has a real chance to compete for the QB job in Jacksonville, and at WORST be the backup.

Yeah but in my opinion, McGough played better in the preseason than Hundley has, I feel like he had a bigger ceiling yet the Hawks stashed him to the PS and gave up another pick for Hundley...I'm just frustrated at the whole situation

Do we even know what draft pick we have to give GB for Hundley? My guess is it'll be 6th or 7th rounder, he never played.

I honestly don't know much about McGough other than what I saw in mop up duty for our pre-season games.......but yes I'd like to see us develop a reliable backup and not continue this revolving door of has beens, trades and felons.

Maybe Lynch can be that, but like I joked above, he literally couldn't be more polar opposite of Russell's style. So not sure what the thought process is there, normally you want your backup to be able to slide into your offense, and that usually means you want that backup to have similar traits to your starter.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":p30aebto said:
Pretty cool to think about this, as I saw it highlighted on twitter.

In 2016 the Hawks traded their #26 with the Broncos for their #31 and #94 (overall). Broncos took Paxton Lynch with the #26, Hawks took Ifedi at #31 and then took Vannett with the #94.
Now we got them all, yes, pretty cool. Hope we can get good good service out of all 3 going forward :D

themunn

Reaction score
Seymour":1hpnhft0 said:
jmahon316":1hpnhft0 said:

Pete and John arrogance that we can fix anyone. What does Elway know about NFL QB's? :roll:

Run routes LOL?? Dude runs a 4.9 40 and also likes video games over his craft.

Since Elways has been GM of the Broncos they've drafted Osweiler, Lynch, Siemian, and Zac Dysert? And signed Case Keenum and (ok I'll give you this one) Peyton Manning.

Not so sure he knows what he's doing tbh.

Interesting fact - the Broncos traded up with us to draft Lynch, and we drafted Ifedi and Vannett with the picks they sent us. Now all three are on our team.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Elite foot quickness for a tall quarterback. Can maneuver quickly out of a busy pocket and away from trouble, but desires to keep passing option alive. Sets up in the pocket quickly and generally keeps feet "throw ready". More functional scrambler than "tuck and run" quarterback... Able to win with his feet when he needs to... Has enough arm to attack downfield while on the move...Can gain chunk yards as zone-read quarterback and will appeal to boot­-action teams. Will be challenging to defend in the red area.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555316

Just because he's a 6-7 white guy doesn't mean he's a pocket passer with limited mobility. He's no LaMar Jackson, but he's not Brady either.

IMO, he's just camp fodder, but you never know.

Vahawkphan

Reaction score
I lived in Memphis for years and became a Tigers fan. (Side note: was at Fox and the Hound in Cordova for Beastquake and went nuts). Watched a lot of Paxton Lynch and I thought he would be a future pro bowl quarterback. He throws a beautiful ball and he made some throws that were unbelievable. I heard the experts talk about how he was product of the system at Memphis and I always thought that didn't matter as much as what I saw and how he looked when he played but that would be the reason, I am not employees by an NFL team. I am really excited about one of my favorite college players that I followed signing with my Hawks. What do y'all think we'll get for Wilson now? joking.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wow, the negativity here is mind numbing.

Lots of wannabe GMs here who know more than JS. I'll choose JS. To me this seems like a calculated risk towards perhaps scoring on a castoff with some arm talent and nothing more.

This is a futures contract signing of the 26th pick in the 2016 draft. i doubt anyone is arguing that he has shown anything much in the NFL. This signing does not guarantee that Lynch will make the team or even get past the early Organized Team Activities or even minicamps but simply guarantees the team has the first right of refusal to assess this player. A few here need to gain some perspective as Patrick Mahomes or another isn't available as futures deal signing.

Let us all focus on reality, Hundley is a FA, the team did not re-up McGough and he's gone to Carolina. The team needs to acquire some depth at QB. The price was probably right.

kidhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":ldnr3yzm said:
Wow, the negativity here is mind numbing.

Lots of wannabe GMs here who know more than JS. I'll choose JS.

This is a futures contract signing of the 26th pick in the 2016 draft. this signing does not guarantee that Lynch will make the team or even get past the early Organized team activities or minicamps but simply guarantees the team has the first right of refusal to assess this player. a few here need to gain some perspective as Patrick Mahomes or another isn't available as futures deal signing.

Agreed. Futures signings are all about getting bodies for camps and giving guys a chance. These aren't guaranteed contracts and you really have absolutely nothing to lose, especially with the off season roster expansion.

pmedic920

Reaction score
jmahon316":3lbjk1y3 said:
pmedic920":3lbjk1y3 said:
Paxton + our first round, for a 2nd, 2 third round picks and a 4th and 5th rounder.

Why haven’t y’all figured this stuff out yet.

Idk man, maybe it's just me or the alcohol talking but being a 3rd string QB doesn't really scream offers for draft picks, even a 6th rounder like Hundley.

Also if the Broncos could've gotten those types of picks for him, wouldn't they have?

I wasn’t serious.

Holy Catfish

HawkGA

Reaction score
Didn't Seattle make the trade with Denver for them to draft Lynch? So basically got Denver's picks plus the player. Not a bad trade.

Jville

Reaction score
Vahawkphan":160oqhal said:
I lived in Memphis for years and became a Tigers fan. (Side note: was at Fox and the Hound in Cordova for Beastquake and went nuts). Watched a lot of Paxton Lynch and I thought he would be a future pro bowl quarterback. He throws a beautiful ball and he made some throws that were unbelievable. I heard the experts talk about how he was product of the system at Memphis and I always thought that didn't matter as much as what I saw and how he looked when he played but that would be the reason, I am not employees by an NFL team. I am really excited about one of my favorite college players that I followed signing with my Hawks. What do y'all think we'll get for Wilson now? joking.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Paxton Lynch :2thumbs:

Paxton Lynch is a big young (24) man at 6'-7' & 244 lbs. with 10 1/4 inch hands on 34 1/4 arms. Seeing him and Russell Wilson on the same field should be quite a sight. He must cast a fairly good sized shadow.

At the very least, Paxton should provide a useful scout team rehearsal for the defensive unit prior to going up against big and tall opposition quarterbacks. That's a useful trait for a back up in Seattle. Looking forward to hearing about him during the future OTAs.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/leighsteinberg/status/1086019625970585600[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/JessamynMcIntyr/status/1086038544085278721[/tweet]

According to jammerhawk's up to date roster, John has 48 contracts signed for the 2019 off season leaving 42 openings left to fill. Roster building John Schneider style. :2thumbs: