Votes: 97 59.5%
  • Bring in new

Votes: 21 12.9%

• Total voters

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I still want Kaepernick as our backup.

Davis would be my second choice.

Boykin has flashed big and then followed the flashes up with some real stinkers and bad decisions. As much as everyone compares him to Wilson, it's those piss poor throws he makes in contrast to some inventing he does that illustrates to me why he's not comparable to Wilson at all. The accuracy is not there and he doesn't look any different or improved over last year.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":2t1ppaew said:
I only say, Austin Davis, beacuse I'm still trying to recover from him going 17-20 2TD 0INT and beat a Superbowl bound Seahawks team in 2014.

I'll be totally honest, I had to think about which game that was. Stupid Rams...

Nonetheless, I voted Boykin.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'm trying to remember Boykins status on his recent charges. Was the 2oz of weed charge dropped? Also what about his drunk in public and parole violation charges?

Could Goodell still suspend him?

Hopefully Pete is keeping all this crap plus his previous bar fights in mind.

LolaRox

Reaction score
I voted 'bring in new' - perhaps there will be a better QB among the 1100 players that are about to hit the streets in couple days.

If not, I would prefer Davis, but only by default. I am not nor have I ever been impressed with Boykin, he is not a very good NFL QB.

I think P&J should look for (or develop) a real backup not only to step in for Russ if needed, but that can be used as an asset and flipped at some point.

chris98251

Reaction score
If we want to win games Davis, develop a QB Boykin, Boykin will probably get thru waivers and PS if we want, Davis wont.

svenge

Reaction score
Out of the two listed, only one has managed to actually complete passes (to his own team) recently. As such, Davis should be #2.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Since the Chief's game this last Friday, I've gone back on forth on this one. Here's what I ended up saying in the 53 Man Roster Thread this morning ...

Boykin had a terrible game last Friday. That said, Pete Carroll loves playmakers and Boykin has a lot of raw potential to be that guy. Austin Davis is a mere game manager. I think in the end, Carroll rolls the dice again on Boykin, hoping they never have to use him. That said, I hold this one real tentatively, as I believe that if John Schneider can find a better alternative (a good veteran back-up QB) anywhere, he'll jump on it.

So, after much hemming and hawing, I'm going to say Boykin, but understand that I'm writing that name in using the lightest possible pencil stroke. Make no mistake about it, John Schneider IS going to be doing what he always does (scouring the planet for better options). Like Monte Hall, if Door #2 is a better option ... he's gonna open that door. Things could get real interesting with the roster as a whole after 1:00pm PST this Saturday, as teams have to chop those rosters down from 90 to 53.

So, let's do the math people ... 90-53 = 37 players x 32 Teams = 1,184 Free Agents.

It could be sheer pandemonium. Now I highly doubt that a really good veteran backup QB is going to suddenly get cut loose ... BUT, I've seen stranger things happen.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":p3tgzpzu said:
Since the Chief's game this last Friday, I've gone back on forth on this one. Here's what I ended up saying in the 53 Man Roster Thread this morning ...

Boykin had a terrible game last Friday. That said, Pete Carroll loves playmakers and Boykin has a lot of raw potential to be that guy. Austin Davis is a mere game manager. I think in the end, Carroll rolls the dice again on Boykin, hoping they never have to use him. That said, I hold this one real tentatively, as I believe that if John Schneider can find a better alternative (a good veteran back-up QB) anywhere, he'll jump on it.

So, after much hemming and hawing, I'm going to say Boykin, but understand that I'm writing that name in using the lightest possible pencil stroke. Make no mistake about it, John Schneider IS going to be doing what he always does (scouring the planet for better options). Like Monte Hall, if Door #2 is a better option ... he's gonna open that door. Things could get real interesting with the roster as a whole after 1:00pm PST this Saturday, as teams have to chop those rosters down from 90 to 53.

So, let's do the math people ... 90-53 = 37 players x 32 Teams = 1,184 Free Agents.

It could be sheer pandemonium. Now I highly doubt that a really good veteran backup QB is going to suddenly get cut loose ... BUT, I've seen stranger things happen.

They say you can't make too much of one bad start, but Boykin needs to have a good showing Thursday to stay on this team. I have no idea what he's been working in the off season, but it should be passing accuracy, passing accuracy, passing accuracy, passing accuracy. Maybe he did, but it doesn't look like it. If he didn't, and the coaches would know, I don't want someone that doesn't have the dedication.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
In the first couple games, I thought his accuracy was much improved, but as we saw in the third, consistency and making smart choices were in short supply.

With backups, I'm not going to question the coaches decisions too much as they get to see the 95% of the play we don't through practices.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
My logic (yours may vary):

As Boykin showed with his awful 0/6 the other night, he's horrifically inconsistent. However, he can move.

If Wilson is out it's likely a failing of the OLine, in which case the not-as-mobile Davis would be a sitting duck.

It's too late at this point to bring in a QB and get him up to speed.

Therefore: Boykin.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Ya know, when I set this poll up there was an option to allow changing votes, but I thought to myself...naw.

I cant change my vote on the actual poll, but I am now a fan of davis over boykin. Can still run but doesnt make the stupid mistakes boykin makes.

Hope Austin gets it.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Torn. Boykin in flashes looks serviceable, can move and its nice having a guy come in that we don't have to completely change scheme. Davis came to compete though. Can't say surprised I guess being an Iowan and always going to Rams games so seeing him carve us up in person is still prevalent in my mind. Both had terrible moments but if tonight was decider Davis wins in that aspect alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Boykin has flashes of brilliance but he's an off the field liability and is a little too talented at throwing INTs.

Davis isn't suddenly going to engineer a deep play-off run if RW3 goes down but he's at least a serviceable back up.

Rocket

Reaction score
Under $2.5m I say we go talk to Kaep again... with contract clauses of course... mandatory sensitivity training from Bennett, who did it with class and humanity, and promise-keeping.

Otherwise go for Davis, he seems more reliable.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
I don't trust Boykin on or off the field. Davis may have a lower ceiling but he is a tryhard and focused player. Boykin not so much.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Still would love Kaep on this roster but obviously evident he's not getting signed till someone is in need. If Russ, heaven/lord/based god of choice, goes down then go immediately sign Kaep. Now its too much money and unfortunately bringing him in now all the idiot "reporters"/twitter bloggers would love to spin another "locker room dissension" about how Russ isn't black enough and and player like Kaep more. Its BS the media would spin/thrive on the attention of it because I feel the guy would come here be welcomed and play his role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atradees

Reaction score
Austin davis looks like he is prepared and seemed to have studied the playbook or at least is paying attention to what is happening in the game. Speaks of experience and likely better work ethic.

Boykin is just wrecklessly slinging..

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
massari":3cg9mgrv said:
Kaepernick or RG3

Wilson hasn't missed a reg season game, so do you really want to burn a bunch of cap that could be used on pass rush and OL for someone to finish blowouts and sit on the bench?

Not to mention both of them looked like hot trash the last time they were starters.

I am not sure what austin costs us, but boykin was cheap. If we can get Davis a similar contract to Boykin and spend the savings on areas of need for the starters, I think that is a much better approach to win games.