• Davis

Votes: 97 59.5%
  • Bring in new

Votes: 21 12.9%

• Total voters

andyh64000

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2aqnjn21 said:
Davis isn't suddenly going to engineer a deep play-off run if RW3 goes down but he's at least a serviceable back up.

Neither is Boykin but Davis could at least hold down the fort if Wilson needed to miss a few games.

olyfan63

Reaction score
sdog1981":1lek76lo said:
I only say, Austin Davis, beacuse I'm still trying to recover from him going 17-20 2TD 0INT and beat a Superbowl bound Seahawks team in 2014.

THIS. Austin Davis can win real NFL games against even Super-Bowl-bound teams with elite defenses. Yes, with a game manager approach and an elite defense behind him, and with home field, but any Win in the NFL is a good Win. Pete Carroll knows he has a shot in any game if the defense plays well and the offense doesn't commit turnovers.

From a St. Louis Post-Dispatch recap of the game:
"It was do-or-die time for the Rams. And this time they did, marching 80 yards for a TD that gave them a 28-19 lead with 5:36 to play. Opening up their offense after a conservative approach for 3 1/2 quarters, Austin (Davis) completed five of six passes for 70 yards on the drive. The TD came on a 4-yard pass to Lance Kendricks, but the big play was a 30-yard completion on a deep crossing route to Chris Givens."

After that Rams win, I was like "who the FREAK is this Austin Davis guy, and how did our defense make him look like an All-Pro?

I trust Davis to read real NFL defenses and make good decisions with the ball. If he can do this against the #1 NFL scoring defense in a regular season game, he can do it against Hawks opponents in games that count. It seems Boykin gets confused by defenses and then makes poor decisions with the ball. Boykin does make some amazing and clutch plays at times, but the dumb, unnecessary turnovers (e.g., from misreads and throwing into triple coverage) make it hard to trust him. All that is based on on-field performance.

Factor in off-field potential issues and I see the Hawks releasing Boykin and keeping Davis. But that's not the basis for the decision I expect, on-field play is.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1tkyy7fy said:
Davis isn't suddenly going to engineer a deep play-off run if RW3 goes down but he's at least a serviceable back up.

That's all you can realistically ask for in an NFL backup QB. Davis has his head in the game and is a sufficient vet who can manage a game for you and not turn the ball over.

These terms of "high ceiling," "greater upside," "long-term potential" are getting thrown around way too much for Boykin. Boykin is what he is-a very athletic, strong armed immature, piss-poor decision maker on and off the field who more importantly panics in pressure situations. This idea of developing him and trading him for a draft pick is a pipe dream. Cut him now and you cut your losses and move on.

olyfan63

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":dvhoijsw said:
This idea of developing him and trading him for a draft pick is a pipe dream. Cut him now and you cut your losses and move on.

Unfortunately have to agree. Boykin may make it through cuts and waivers and able to be stashed on Practice Squad.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Davis should be our back up QB. Hands down.

Seymour

Reaction score
As I said before, Davis is the lessor of 2 evils. He had a comeback game winning drive, didn't make any boneheaded plays to lose the game, and to me has shown he deserves the backup job.

Congrats Austin, you proved yourself the last 2 weeks, and earned the job. :2thumbs:

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Alright. As I said last night in the Game Forum, I'd admit it ...
[youtube]WkqgDoo_eZE[/youtube]

I was ... wrrr ... I was wrrrr ... I was NOT RIGHT in what I said about Trevone Boykin before. His overall decision making just looked bad and he looked like a guy who is just flat out not ready for the NFL. I said it earlier, he's a young guy who just flat out needs to play consistently somewhere and learn. He is exactly the kind of QB that in years past would go to a place like NFL Europe, play for the London Monarchs, gain some experience, and try it again with the NFL in a couple of years once he's got some experience under his belt. Right now, I'd say he looks like he's more suited for the CFL or even Arena League football.

I was never IN LOVE with Boykin and the idea of him as this team's backup ... I just thought that we could win with him. Not sure I have that same level of confidence anymore ... and I'm wondering if Pete and John feel the same way.

Not that I'm enamored with Austin Davis either. To me, asking if I prefer Austin Davis or Trevone Boykin is kind of like asking, "Would you rather die by being stabbed or being shot?" Given the choice of lesser evils, I'm going to reluctantly going to choke down my cup of hemlock down and say Austin Davis at this point. Davis has starting experience and has actually WON NFL games (what a concept -- he even beat us before). Boykin is a guy that (if he has any practice squad eligibility left) I'd say who should easily be able to clear waivers and be stashed there. I can't imagine any other team out there who would actually want to sign him to their 53 Man Roster. I can't say the same thing with Austin Davis. So, unless something changes, Davis is the guy I'd say.

That said, you know Schneider is scouring all the potential cuts that are coming. If there is a better option out there behind Door #2, then he is going to open that door. Bank on it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
We as Seahawks fans are SPOILED; we have a top 5 scrambling Quarterback, that can make plays with his wheels, that aren't there for 99.9% of the Quarterbacks in the League.
I think it's a mistake to TRY and compare a backup Quarterback to Russell Wilson.
Boykin can scramble, but that's where the comparisons end.
Davis is a Vet who has shown that he can read Defenses, and can even make some decent plays, while working behind a less than stellar O-Line.
In the OP's poll I voted for Boykin....I've since come to my senses, and now see Austin Davis as a way better option.

sutz

Reaction score
Originally voted Boykin, but I think Davis edged him out in Oakland. Definitely had the better game.

Starting to think if they really want to keep Boykin around they'd need to go 3QB, and I doubt that they would do that. Is Boykin still PS eligible?

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/903644464345825280[/tweet]

DIpjv1bUMAAxZzz

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Jville":1fa9hyim said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/903644464345825280[/tweet]

DIpjv1bUMAAxZzz

As if there were any remaining doubt ... I'd say that Pete Carroll's comments there are pretty much the nail in the coffin. Though he likes guys who can make plays, Carroll is also all about protecting the football and being wise. Those are qualities that I just don't see in Boykin right now and obviously Carroll doesn't either.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd be SHOCKED if Pete doesn't name Davis the backup.

Put Boykin on the practice squad if you still think there's some potential there. No reason to take this sort of risk with the backup role, not after what we saw out of both QB's this pre-season. Davis is CLEARLY better suited for the job.

Seymour

Reaction score
That poll was close to 50/50 prior to the 4th PS game.

Looks like a lot of fence sitters.

Welcome Davis bandwagoners! 8) :2thumbs:

Another plus is Davis will actually be way better for Russell in the QB room and sidelines.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Tjack time. Why not? Kept out of trouble for a year now, sure he would play for the minimum and he's better than what we got IMO.

Seymour

Reaction score
sutz":1c9fvcuu said:
Originally voted Boykin, but I think Davis edged him out in Oakland. Definitely had the better game.

Starting to think if they really want to keep Boykin around they'd need to go 3QB, and I doubt that they would do that. Is Boykin still PS eligible?

Boykin makes crappy decisions both on and off the field. PS is not going to change that. And I doubt we need to worry about wasting more time on him. I believe he is eligible, just doubt they beat the dead horse.

Slick

Reaction score
I voted for Davis. He outplayed Boykin over the course of 4 games. Like many have said, there are some tangibles that the organization likes about Boykin so it would not surprise me if Boykin keeps the backup job.

Rat

Reaction score
Brock Osweiler was just cut by the Browns. We can have Russell backed up by the QB the Broncos took a round before him.

massari

Reaction score
Rat":ms52yuv1 said:
Brock Osweiler was just cut by the Browns. We can have Russell backed up by the QB the Broncos took a round before him.
Tallest QB in the league backing up the shortest....

Also, isn't Kaepernick a better fit?

Browns just ate $16M in dead money by cutting him...