Quick Takeaways After Preseason Game 2

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2vwnuv2w said:
C-Mike has been the revelation of the pre-season so far. I'm confident in him being both Rawls' prrimary back up and our so called 3rd down back due to the impreasive receiving skills he showed. Don't forget he's a freak athlete picked in the 2nd round, the only thing he ever lacked was the mentality and ball protection. That's in the past.

On the other spectrum of the RB group it's a lot less sunny. While Christine has been a positive surprise, Collins has been a huge disappointment. He was brought in as an effective short yardage back with the possibility of challenging for lead back carries, he's neither. Collins and Brooks got outplayed hard by even Troymane Pope.

Lawler had a bit of a redemption game after a lousy week 1 and Goodley played himself back into the competition at WR as well.

Run D and run blocking are both really solid right now, while both the pass D and pass blocking are lacking.

Even though Boykins got sacked a few times and was intercepted at a crucial time, I still believe he can be a very serviceable back up for us.

Any argument to Cmike being the Starter for the first couple weeks with Rawls splitting the carries with him until he is 100%. He has looked really sharp so far and I think he has finally come into his own and has been the back we all expected when we first drafted him

hawxfreak

Reaction score
The one thing we didn't get to see were all the second half adjustments that have been the staple of our game so no worries man , no worries
I honestly think Pete really likes rope a dope

Laloosh

Reaction score
Fade":ffukoy0p said:
Wagner got exposed in this game. He was repeatedly picked on by a backup QB. LOL. He has really fallen off since getting paid. He had his worst year last year, and he could be even worse this year.

He really did look bad in coverage. If he plays like that when we go to NE, they're going to have a field day with Gronk and Bennett. Hope he can clean it up.

McGruff

Reaction score
Laloosh":3la98czz said:
Fade":3la98czz said:
Wagner got exposed in this game. He was repeatedly picked on by a backup QB. LOL. He has really fallen off since getting paid. He had his worst year last year, and he could be even worse this year.

He really did look bad in coverage. If he plays like that when we go to NE, they're going to have a field day with Gronk and Bennett. Hope he can clean it up.

That's where game planning comes in, because I don't think you see WAGNER on those guys in the regular season. Probably Kam or Earl or Shead or Simon.

Laloosh

Reaction score
McGruff":1pdziz7a said:
Laloosh":1pdziz7a said:
Fade":1pdziz7a said:

That's where game planning comes in, because I don't think you see WAGNER on those guys in the regular season. Probably Kam or Earl or Shead or Simon.

They seemed to be able to scheme their offense into some 1:1's for Gronk (forcing a LB into coverage). With the addition of Bennett, won't that sort of cancel out the addition of Browner? Kam will be there as well, I know... I just don't feel all warm and cozy about Bobby handling pass coverage well.

SkolVikes

Reaction score
chris98251":x2up1v8g said:
Vikings played their Super Bowl in the Pre Season and Shanked it also, if it wasn't for a misread by a UDFA QB and that pick six they would have Shanked this game also, even then he almost pulled it out.

This is funny. I watched the whole game and it seemed to me like the Vikings first string outplayed the seahawks in pretty much every facet of the game. The Hawks came back in the 4th against 4th stringers.

The vikings sacked Wilson 4 times? The Hawks sack Shaun the statue hill 0 times.

Own The West

Reaction score
Couple things I saw...
- CMike was running hard, but a little out of control too. There were a few times he cleared the front 7 only to stumble and fall forward. If he can play with better balance those go for big gains.
- Collins looked tight: slow to get up to speed, no read, blindly going where the play was called. Maybe he was trying too hard after a very limited week 1 outing? Would like to see him relax and just run -- like Farmer. That guy wasn't thinking, he was just chasing daylight.
- Russ looked a little lackadaisical in the pocket, like last week's pass pro got him thinking he had all day. I expect the urgency will be back next week.
- The D needs to go to the Wizard and get a heart. Seriously, they're tough around the outside and hollow in the middle. Slants, TEs, outlets from the backfield -- they're all open, all day. And we're getting driven back on tackles. We look soft and slow.
- With all due respect to Richard Sherman, Simon's never going to be a starting corner. He's a million dollar talent with a ten cent head. Maybe try him at free safety where he doesn't have to think so much. I trade him for a long snapper and giggle about it. Waste of a roster spot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SkolVikes":1cky2uu4 said:
chris98251":1cky2uu4 said:
Vikings played their Super Bowl in the Pre Season and Shanked it also, if it wasn't for a misread by a UDFA QB and that pick six they would have Shanked this game also, even then he almost pulled it out.

This is funny. I watched the whole game and it seemed to me like the Vikings first string outplayed the seahawks in pretty much every facet of the game. The Hawks came back in the 4th against 4th stringers.

The vikings sacked Wilson 4 times? The Hawks sack Shaun the statue hill 0 times.

The game was 0-0 until 2:00 left in the half, neither team was lighting it up on either side of the ball.

So IMO the two first team offense and defenses were even for the most part, with the difference being we had too many penalties and drops stalling drives.

I never get worked up over pre-season, especially for a veteran group on both sides of the ball like we have. Having said that, the penalties, drops and long snapping issues do concern me. But I trust Pete and his staff to clean that stuff up.

SkolVikes

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28vfum7z said:
SkolVikes":28vfum7z said:
chris98251":28vfum7z said:

The game was 0-0 until 2:00 left in the half, neither team was lighting it up on either side of the ball.

So IMO the two first team offense and defenses were even for the most part, with the difference being we had too many penalties and drops stalling drives.

I never get worked up over pre-season, especially for a veteran group on both sides of the ball like we have. Having said that, the penalties, drops and long snapping issues do concern me. But I trust Pete and his staff to clean that stuff up.

The vikings also started Shaun hill and AP didn't play either.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
My only real take-away from this game - Why is your franchise QB playing two full quarters of a meaningless game in which the defense of a possible NFC playoff contender is coming after him in hopes of knocking his ass out?

Overloading the line on a few plays even.

Wilson has to get rid of the ball sooner. But there is no reason he should be playing half of a meaningless game. ESPECIALLY when your backup QB is an undrafted rookie who can use all the snaps he can get.

So whatever, the game was sloppy. It's useless to evaluate because you don't know what the team is trying to accomplish.

SkolVikes

Reaction score
I really don't like Pete Carroll, I think he is a good coach but there is just something about him. I think it's whenever they show him on the sidelines he is always complaining to the ref about something.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SkolVikes":vvugknoo said:
Sgt. Largent":vvugknoo said:
SkolVikes":vvugknoo said:
chris98251":vvugknoo said:

The vikings also started Shaun hill and AP didn't play either.

Right, a veteran QB who knew our defense was in their base zone defense almost the entire half........thus the 20 dump offs. With no Bennett, Rawls or Graham.

SkolVikes

Reaction score
Your base defense allows for dump off passes and short passes. I think it is the downfall of your base defense. It is how the Patriots scored their points in the Superbowl .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SkolVikes":2zm8wtyz said:
Your base defense allows for dump off passes and short passes. I think it is the downfall of your base defense. It is how the Patriots scored their points in the Superbowl .

What I'm saying is if this was week 3 and teams are still taking advantage of Wagner and the middle of the field checking down for 8-10 yard a pop? Yeah, I'm concerned.

But 2nd pre-season game with no Bennett or Kam, two of the major players of our defense........especially Kam that covers those RB's and TE's out of the backfield? Nope, sorry, can't get worked up over that.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
SkolVikes":vo0gvgx5 said:

Seahawks defense has led the league in scoring defense for four consecutive years.

In their 2nd Super Bowl, the defense was decimated by injuries. Jeremy Lane tore his ACL and badly broke his arm on an INT return. Cliff Avril had to leave the game with a concussion. The entire secondary was forced to play with serious injuries: Richard Sherman (elbow), Kam Chancellor (knee), Earl Thomas (torn labrum), and Tharold Simon (separated shoulder).

SkolVikes

Reaction score
And I am not saying you should get worked up :) it is just the pre season. I was just pointing out a observation that the Hawks base defense even though great against the run does leave a opportunity open for those dump/short passes.

Well here's to a great season! Glad we don't have to play you guys this year!

hawknation2016

Reaction score
SkolVikes":1e25nc73 said:
And I am not saying you should get worked up :) it is just the pre season. I was just pointing out a observation that the Hawks base defense even though great against the run does leave a opportunity open for those dump/short passes.

In addition to leading the NFL in scoring defense for four consecutive years, the Seahawks defense was #1 in fewest passing yards allowed in 2013 and 2014 and was #2 last season.

It's extremely difficult for an offense to move the chains with the short pass game when the defense is healthy and tackling well.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
SkolVikes":2mcyv7lj said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'm willing to put money that we face off again this year. Good luck to y'all

chris98251

Reaction score
SkolVikes":2okb34b9 said:

Which is why I think the Vikings played us the way they did, many wanted a payback for the playoff loss last year and there wasn't going to be a rematch this regular season. As I stated in another thread it actually did us a favor showing what we need to work on and get the fire lit a bit under some players.